• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Silent Hill: Downpour information from Game Informer

rollingstart

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
38,760
4
0
eviloreisarapist
Rez said:
I've always found it kind of odd that we're allowed to discuss looking at pictures from the scans threads and we're allowed to discuss the info from the magazine, thus making the actual magazine totally redundant, but we can't post the actual scans here. I mean, I'm not really complaining, but, you know, it seems kind of pointless to make us click a couple of extra times on the Google-Machine rather than just allow them to be posted here if we're going to talk about it anyway.

*shrug*

It's like how public drinking is 'bad' but if the booze is a brown bag, no one cares.
 

soultron

Banned
Jul 24, 2007
20,418
0
0
Toronto
I enjoyed Homecoming. Not as much as SH/2/3, but them's the brakes.

I will keep an eye on this.

One question, however: why isn't Double Helix doing this one?
 

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jun 26, 2009
23,334
2
1,030
Norway
brandonh83 said:
:lol

So far I'm not seeing much resemblance to Shattered Memories at all. The combat seems to be a mix of old and new-- you get weapons and you can attack creatures, but there seems to be an emphasis on merely hurting the creatures and making a run for it.

To be fair, that's essentially what you had to do in 0rigins too, as trying to kill all the monsters in the game would just result in you getting your ass kicked, unlike the first three games where you could just whack everything to death with a steel pipe :lol

someguyinahat said:
Added QTEs? So a "Downpour" is synonymous with a "Heavy Rain?"

Press X to CHE-RYL!
 

Ridley327

Member
Feb 7, 2005
37,712
1
1,480
soultron said:
I enjoyed Homecoming. Not as much as SH/2/3, but them's the brakes.

I will keep an eye on this.

One question, however: why isn't Double Helix doing this one?
Homecoming wasn't, as they would say, entirely successful financially.
 

ZephyrFate

Banned
Jun 24, 2008
14,214
0
0
www.paeantodreams.wordpress.com
Rez said:
I've always found it kind of odd that we're allowed to discuss looking at pictures from the scans threads and we're allowed to discuss the info from the magazine, thus making the actual magazine totally redundant, but we can't post the actual scans here. I mean, I'm not really complaining, but, you know, it seems kind of pointless to make us click a couple of extra times on the Google-Machine rather than just allow them to be posted here if we're going to talk about it anyway.

*shrug*
I agree, and I've never found a good reasoning for it, either.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
Combichristoffersen said:
To be fair, that's essentially what you had to do in 0rigins too, as trying to kill all the monsters in the game would just result in you getting your ass kicked, unlike the first three games where you could just whack everything to death with a steel pipe :lol

Sure, but confirmation that there won't be any scripted chase sequences or the combo-based fighting system of Homecoming pleases me.

QTE bosses sucks, but I'm willing to wait on that before passing judgment. Unfortunately, QTE's suck no matter what so I'm not expecting to like it.
 

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jun 26, 2009
23,334
2
1,030
Norway
soultron said:
One question, however: why isn't Double Helix doing this one?

Most likely because even Konami realized it was total ass

brandonh83 said:
Sure, but confirmation that there won't be any scripted chase sequences or the combo-based fighting system of Homecoming pleases me.

QTE bosses sucks, but I'm willing to wait on that before passing judgment. Unfortunately, QTE's suck no matter what so I'm not expecting to like it.

I don't mind QTE sequences myself, so as for now the combat and whether the game plays anything like Shattered Memories are the only things I'm worried about. I'll give it a chance, but I'm not gonna get all hyped up. I did that for Homecoming, and we all know how that game turned out.

Also, I'm guessing the twist is that the main character
opened the rusty door, got out on the grating floor, and suddenly Pyramid Head walked the dinosaur

brandonh83 said:
Homecoming was a pretty decent game and better than Shattered Memories.

I think Double Helix took way too much shit for it. And while Homecoming didn't sell so great, I do think it's shitty that they didn't get a second chance because they could have easily learned from their mistakes.

It was a better Silent Hill game than SM, but I still don't think it was a very good game. I'd rather have Climax than Double Helix do another SH game, as Climax proved that they are capable of making a decent to good SH game when they made 0rigins.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
Homecoming was a pretty decent game and better than Shattered Memories.

I think Double Helix took way too much shit for it. And while Homecoming didn't sell so great, I do think it's shitty that they didn't get a second chance because they could have easily learned from their mistakes.

Still, this one is shaping up to be much better based on what we know, so I ain't complaining.
 

Grisby

Member
Mar 4, 2008
21,377
1
0
Awesome news! I've loved every Silent Hill game, especially Homecoming, so I'm really excited to see some new info.
 

Amir0x

Banned
Oct 27, 2004
103,709
4
0
36
Nowhere, PA
brandonh83 said:
Homecoming was a pretty decent game and better than Shattered Memories.

I think Double Helix took way too much shit for it. And while Homecoming didn't sell so great, I do think it's shitty that they didn't get a second chance because they could have easily learned from their mistakes.

Still, this one is shaping up to be much better based on what we know, so I ain't complaining.

yup. Still just decent, not great, but definitely a better SILENT HILL game
 

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Mar 10, 2005
15,816
0
0
Amir0x said:
If I summarized the movie Avatar, it's obviously not the same as seeing it.
Well duh. Your summary probably wouldn't waste three hours of my life.
 

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aug 17, 2009
25,765
2,461
1,630
Philippines
psnprofiles.com
Since I'm a blind-buying Silent Hill fan, I'll buy it even if does not end up to my liking (screw you Shattered Memories).
 

GhaleonQ

Member
Aug 24, 2006
11,572
18
1,260
Milwaukee/Wisconsin Rapids/Hanover
Amir0x's positivity is turning me. I think I should change my point-of-view. Konami's botched outsourcing 2 (or 3, depending on your opinion) Silent Hill games, which is affecting my view. REALLY, though, I should just take this as Vatra's 1st shot.

It is a new day. I AM SMILING.
 

UrbanRats

Member
Jun 25, 2009
40,833
2
830
brandonh83 said:
Homecoming was a pretty decent game and better than Shattered Memories.
I like SM x100 times better, but i don't wanna read that discussion again. :lol

Anyway, looked at the scan.. uhm, not digging the art direction too much (color palette and style) but the scans are actually really small, so it's not easy to grasp the details.
I like the infos in the OP though.
The first 3 SH were somewhat "open world", in a way, we'll see.
 

plagiarize

Banned
May 24, 2006
41,130
1
0
GhaleonQ said:
Amir0x's positivity is turning me. I think I should change my point-of-view. Konami's botched outsourcing 2 (or 3, depending on your opinion) Silent Hill games, which is affecting my view. REALLY, though, I should just take this as Vatra's 1st shot.

It is a new day. I AM SMILING.
eh. I think Climax earned the next shot with critical darling Shattered Memories. Konami didn't advertise the thing and it bombed. That shouldn't be on Climax.

I get that there are some people that thought it was too much of a change for the series, but I think the series needed a change. There were people that said RE4 wasn't a real Resident Evil.

that stopped with RE5. I hope SH:Downpour can please everyone, but I doubt it. It'll score seven to eight out of ten like every SH game. SH2 fans will bitch because it isn't enough like SH2, or because it's too much like SH2. everyone else will debate at length over whether or not it's any good (like 4 and Homecoming), and I'll no doubt enjoy it on some level or another (as I did 4 and Homecoming).

Homecoming has some long sections that are below par, but its highs are way up there.

But I can't sign onto Homecoming > Shattered Memories if we're looking at them as games, and not rating them on 'how silent hill' they are.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
plagiarize said:
There were people that said RE4 wasn't a real Resident Evil.

They were right. But it was still a great game. I liked Shattered Memories, at least some things about it, but the things I disliked about it ultimately had nothing to do with its departure from the other installments.
 

plagiarize

Banned
May 24, 2006
41,130
1
0
Combichristoffersen said:
Er, I thought people had way more complaints about RE5 than RE4?
that was my point basically. seems like nowadays people complain about RE5 not being a real Resident Evil game. RE4 doesn't get criticised for it nearly as much anymore since 5 came out.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
plagiarize said:
that was my point basically. seems like nowadays people complain about RE5 not being a real Resident Evil game. RE4 doesn't get criticised for it nearly as much anymore since 5 came out.

RE4 had heavy horror elements with some action. RE5 had heavy action with some light horror elements.
 

Futurevoid

Member
Dec 7, 2005
24,351
0
0
www.lcvg.com
Origins was probably the game I most disliked in the series, Homecoming was /ok/ and I actually enjoyed Shattered Memories for an alternate take on the series and especially for its storytelling.

I'm not a fan of the title but the scans show off some excellent visuals and I like what I'm hearing in the summary. That is outside of the QTE for boss battles. Cautiously excited.
 
May 6, 2008
24,152
0
0
Amir0x said:
If I summarized the movie Avatar, it's obviously not the same as seeing it.

Actually the Wikipedia summary of Sklyline was good enough to remove any desire or need to see the film. :lol

That aside I can't believe people are wondering about why we can't post scans. You guys realize thats copyright infringement and would give the mods and Evilore lots of potential headings. Hell, it's why I try and only post summaries or small snippets from news articles when I do threads. I'd hate to bring the twats from Ravensomething or other down on the board. Though I suspect that would let to hilarity when they try demanding the domain name.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
I just hope that the title doesn't end up exposing the twist or making the storyline more predictable. It could be a red herring though.

Otherwise I think it's a pretty cool, unique subtitle.

edit: are we allowed to post text from the article? Someone at the Silent Hill Heaven message boards did a pretty rough translation, just wanted to make sure it's okay but if not that's cool.

edit 2: something I failed to mention was that no popular locations from the older games will be used-- the article says no schools or hospitals. The part of Silent Hill in this game is the southeastern part of the map that was never explored in the previous titles.
 

WickedLaharl

Member
Sep 30, 2006
13,569
1
1,525
Troy Baker's dumpster
-boss fights with quicktime events (not so good)



but seriously, QTE battles always diminish my interest in a game. such a shitty game mechanic that needs to fuck off and stay in assy action games.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
WickedLaharl said:
but seriously, QTE battles always diminish my interest in a game. such a shitty game mechanic that needs to fuck off and stay in assy action games.

It shouldn't even be in action games. Or any game.

new updates to OP: no weapon inventory, weapons will weaken and break, game takes place in unexplored southeastern section of the map, puzzle difficulty options
 
Apr 6, 2009
57,151
0
0
Vancouver...ish.
brandonh83 said:
Homecoming was a pretty decent game and better than Shattered Memories.

I think Double Helix took way too much shit for it. And while Homecoming didn't sell so great, I do think it's shitty that they didn't get a second chance because they could have easily learned from their mistakes.

Still, this one is shaping up to be much better based on what we know, so I ain't complaining.

What is DH doing now?
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
What is DH doing now?

filling out Vatra applications.

Also Ami, the enemy you were talking about that appeared to have low res textures, well hopefully it looks better when the game is released because it's supposed to resemble a body that has been underwater for a really long time.
 

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jun 26, 2009
23,334
2
1,030
Norway
brandonh83 said:
It shouldn't even be in action games. Or any game.

new updates to OP: no weapon inventory, weapons will weaken and break, game takes place in unexplored southeastern section of the map, puzzle difficulty options

Ugggggghhhh. Breakable weapons = fail. Hated that shit in SH4 and 0rigins.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
What is DH doing now?

Making the Green Lantern game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Helix_Games
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
Combichristoffersen said:
Ugggggghhhh. Breakable weapons = fail. Hated that shit in SH4 and 0rigins.

I disagree. If there is an emphasis on merely hurting the enemies and then running, I think it will work. Also, just read that you can only carry one weapon at a time. If they do it right I think it will make the game really intense.

For me the only times it sucks is when you're trying to kill enemies and it breaks. If there was a bigger focus on combat, I wouldn't like it.
 

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jun 26, 2009
23,334
2
1,030
Norway
brandonh83 said:
I disagree. If there is an emphasis on merely hurting the enemies and then running, I think it will work. Also, just read that you can only carry one weapon at a time. If they do it right I think it will make the game really intense.

For me the only times it sucks is when you're trying to kill enemies and it breaks. If there was a bigger focus on combat, I wouldn't like it.

What. What.

What.

Oh wow.

Breakable weapons and carrying only one weapon at a time?

Fuck this shit :lol

Imma just replay SH2 and pretend the series died after 0rigins
 

UrbanRats

Member
Jun 25, 2009
40,833
2
830
I liked QTEs a lot, in Shenmue 1/2.
But since then, they seem to just place them randomly(and poorly designed, too).
In Shenmue they were actually a good narrative strategy, they were tense, sometimes even a bit challenging and with a fuckup, you could go on anyway, most of the time, with a different path-- also they were context based: if you were to throw a punch, you had to hit the "punch button", if you were to jump, you were supposed to press the kick/leg button, and so on; in all the God of War clones, they are just: "ok, push some random buttons during the cutscenes".
 

soultron

Banned
Jul 24, 2007
20,418
0
0
Toronto
brandonh83 said:
Homecoming was a pretty decent game and better than Shattered Memories.

I think Double Helix took way too much shit for it. And while Homecoming didn't sell so great, I do think it's shitty that they didn't get a second chance because they could have easily learned from their mistakes.

Still, this one is shaping up to be much better based on what we know, so I ain't complaining.
Long live the Silent Hill: Homecoming OT. What a great thread it was.
 

Diebuster

Member
Jul 17, 2009
1,476
0
640
brandonh83 said:
new updates to OP: no weapon inventory, weapons will weaken and break

QTEs for boss fights makes sense now, and based on how they've said combat will go down, it could work. I'm glad it's just one weapon at a time. I remember breaking my weapon in Origin was meaningless since I packed enough items to stock a small furniture store.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
soultron said:
Long live the Silent Hill: Homecoming OT. What a great thread it was.

Best thing about a Silent Hill game are the 7,239 fan theories about what everything in the game means. Silent Hill established itself as a symbolism-heavy series, so players are just attuned to finding meanings in everything.

"I think Henry was really Claudia, but the way that lamp was shaped..."

So yeah, I pretty much like any Silent Hill discussion. Big fan of the series, and probably will be as long as they keep getting made. There have been plenty of games, but not all of them have completely delivered in the same way that the earlier installments did and I think people like to sit around and wait to see if someone can match those.

And the way I look at it, while games like Homecoming didn't exactly deliver a grade-A Silent Hill experience, I mean what other survival horror games were coming out that had a lot more to them than cheap jump scares? Dead Space doesn't count because it's a circus of jump scares. Great game though.
 
Apr 23, 2006
2,181
0
0
they could label a can of sardines "Silent Hill" and I'd gladly eat the little bastards off a filthy hooker's feet, so excited to see this is looking to have more promise than that.

They really seem to be heading in the right direction with this one, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. It's going to sell me another ps3 or 360 just for this game. I wonder if silent hill heaven or bitter season is still around, I bet they'd be abuzz with this news.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
theinfinityissue said:
They really seem to be heading in the right direction with this one, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. It's going to sell me another ps3 or 360 just for this game. I wonder if silent hill heaven or bitter season is still around, I bet they'd be abuzz with this news.

I've been getting info from Silent Hill Heaven's message boards, so yeah, they're still alive and kicking.
 
May 6, 2006
20,638
3
0
If they have only one weapon options I fear it could lead into Resistance 2 syndrome where the weapon you need for the upcoming event is always right there before it happens. I can see how it can build tension but it's gotta be tricky to implement.

Looking at the scans its weird for me to see so much nature in a SH game. The shots of the trees and gas station areas made me think of Alan Wake.

Right now i'm cautiously optimistic.
 

Gokurakumaru

Banned
Oct 21, 2006
1,077
0
0
Amir0x said:
There's actually tons of information in the articles that is not in the opening post. And of course the #1 lure is actually seeing the pictures.

You cannot replicate the experience of seeing the pictures by talking about them second hand. Additionally, summarizing information in an article in bits and pieces is not the same experience or value as reading the whole thing.

If I summarized the movie Avatar, it's obviously not the same as seeing it.

Comparing Avatar -- a motion picture -- to a magazine article, the meat of which is text? Really? The info you get in these topics is damn near identical to the experience of reading the article itself. Video game mags are 90% fluff.

All this topic encouraged me to do was hit up Google. And don't even get me started on the protectionism of publications most people have no way of getting their hands on like Famitsu.

If you honestly think the forum rules are protecting copyright or encouraging people to buy the mag you're kidding yourself.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
gketter said:
Looking at the scans its weird for me to see so much nature in a SH game. The shots of the trees and gas station areas made me think of Alan Wake.

Yep, definitely an Alan Wake vibe when it comes to the natural environments.

However, that could only apply to the opening of the game. Murphy's prisoner transfer bus crashes as we saw in the trailer, and he goes through some wilderness before even getting to Silent Hill.

Silent Hill 2 was like this; after the opening, there wasn't much in the way of backwoods environments. The article says that you see this giant waterfall while the sun is setting and that it's absolutely beautiful, but the character has a sinking feeling about where he's going and you know that the beauty is a facade and things are about to go to shit real quick.

Plus, the waterfall kind of foreshadows the whole theme of water. I can see the waterfall as being a symbolic (here we go already) "gate" into Silent Hill, which sets up for the entire storyline.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,632
1
0
38
Diebuster said:
I'm guessing a Fall release, but was there any word in the article about a release date?

Not that I know of. Like I said someone translated quite a bit of the text, but there's no mention of a release date. Just 2011.
 

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jun 26, 2009
23,334
2
1,030
Norway
brandonh83 said:
Yep, definitely an Alan Wake vibe when it comes to the natural environments.

However, that could only apply to the opening of the game. Murphy's prisoner transfer bus crashes as we saw in the trailer, and he goes through some wilderness before even getting to Silent Hill.

Silent Hill 2 was like this; after the opening, there wasn't much in the way of backwoods environments. The article says that you see this giant waterfall while the sun is setting and that it's absolutely beautiful, but the character has a sinking feeling about where he's going and you know that the beauty is a facade and things are about to go to shit real quick.

Plus, the waterfall kind of foreshadows the whole theme of water. I can see the waterfall as being a symbolic (here we go already) "gate" into Silent Hill, which sets up for the entire storyline.

There was the forest area in SH4 too, but that was around the middle of the game, or the latter half.

And it was fairly boring to boot