• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

braves01

Banned
Damn. Having lived through Skyrim PS3, I really sympathize with you guys. There's no reason for an HD collection to have kinds of problems.

G-Fex

I can't believe what got to me wasn't a cheap scare, but rather that fucking whispering in that one room.

Fuck that.

I'm bothered now.

Roland Stiles said:
I'm upset too guys.

The patch fixes the synch/framerate/sound issues in the PS3 version. If you don't like the arranged music, turning off 5.1 should revert to classic (regardless of Voice selection).

Patch should be up shortly--sorry I don't have an exact date. But it'll be days/week as opposed to months.

Try not to enjoy RE too much in the meantime : /

(This post is the opinion of Tomm personally and does not reflect Konami or its partners)

EDIT:(issues won't be present in EU release)
Thanks for the update, Tomm.

Out of curiosity, does switching to the "classic" arrangement restore some of the changed audio effect folks are complaining about? Or does it only alter the slight musical changes?

Bukana

Tomm,

You should:
-Create a Twitter account.
-Fix Downpour's slowdown (the game is great BTW).
-Tell us why and who chose this team to do the HD collection !?

Thank you,

Played SH2 HD 360 up until the Blue Creek Apartments. From the alley with the crawler close to the corpse with the key up to the door to the Apartments, the sound was skipping a beat every 5 seconds or so.

Also, during James and Angela's scene in the cemetery the ambient sound kinda, looped. It went dead for a few seconds then slowly came back.

By the way, whoever made, or approved, the new textures for the asphalt roads and the parking lot at the beginning of the game should get his eyes checked. There is ZERO details in them and they completely clash with the rest of the environments. They're a sore to the eyes.

Seriously, did Konami's execs just approved the whole thing, bugs and all without checking the games on both consoles. I hope this goes out to various media outlet. When I pay 45$ for games that are more than a decade old, I expect, AT LEAST, GOW HD collections quality. Come on guys.

well my HD collection is still wrapped. I ordered from amazon. Few questions.

How do you return things to amazon? Is it easy? (I did not recieve a receipt slip in the box that this game came in, will that be a problem?)

How long do you have to return it (I guess I can wait until the patch comes to see if I even need to)

From Silent Hill Historical Society Forums:

Silent Hill 2 (XBOX 360)

* The game's visuals are more saturated.
This is probably almost all due to stepping up from CRT 4:3 480 resolution televisions back when this game was new to our HD 16:9 1080 monsters; we're seeing things a lot more crisp, bold and clearer. It may take some getting used to the more vibrant visuals. Side Note: Jimmy's hair is golden perfection.
* The new voices are pretty good (to me).
I really like Eddie, Angela and Laura's new voices in particular. James has been hit and miss with me. Jimmy's monologue in the bowling alley was great, other times he just sounds really spacey and high.
* The music is changed for certain parts.
This was most likely done because the original audio sections had the characters talking over the music. Without separate files for both voices and music, the music had to be re-done as well for those parts.
* The updated music is fine, but it has obvious audio seams.
Examples are when you meet Angela in the cemetery and inside Blue Creek--the track loops but the loop isn't seamless.
* The road pavement and sidewalk textures were changed.
They look very clean and pristine now which just looks weird against all other nastiness and grunge throughout the town. It's like walking on black velvet. This is one change I'm not happy about.
* But they didn't change the sidewalk textures in other parts to seamlessly match.
Go up to the main gate that first gets you into Woodside Apartments. Look at the pavement below your feet. That's a big bummer. :?
* Radio static makes a different sound.
When you're far away from the enemy the radio now makes a sound like that of a record player looping or "popping" at the end of a vinyl. It is actually a bit annoying to hear after so long.
* The Lying Figures' footsteps are different.
When they walk, it's a lot more distinct.
* Same with the "picked up item" sound effect
It plays about twice as fast and at a different pitch. Something neat to point out. I wonder why that was changed though?
* Eddie puking before talking with him in Woodside is the funniest thing ever.
Not only is he set to "Ultra-violent-and-spastic-puke Mode," but there's no pause or space between each vomit. He literally hardcore vomits non-stop, no breaks in between, ad infinitum just like my laughter over it.
* The fog effect is questionable at times.
When encountering the first Lying Figure, we can see through the end of the tunnel on the other side. There's nothing there except the ground clipping off and ending.

When first meeting Maria, the fog becomes disabled midway through the cutscene, allowing you to clearly see Toluca lake and anything beyond it. Problem is, there's nothing beyond it so the world just kind of clips off and "ends." Related, the boating rope that cuts off and stops in mid-air (because we can see where it goes now sans fog).

That's as far as I got so far.

Silent Hill 3 (XBOX 360)

* Heather's hair isn't double-sided.
Her hair's geometry isn't set to render double-sided which means if you look at her hair from the inside-out, there's no hair at all.
* No depth-of-field transition
The post-processing effect that makes things blurry based on distance has no transition. It jumps straight from in focus directly to out-of-focus, making a seam wear the transition should be. A quick example is when the roller coaster comes towards Heather at the very beginning.
* Audio stops after meeting Claudia
If you stand still (or don't progress further up the hallway) the music cuts off completely after about a minute or so.
* Audio near elevator with radio has seam
Once near the elevator (right after meeting Claudia) the audio of the men chanting has a looping seam. Although I have this funny feeling this one was like that in the original version, too.
* Radio makes a new static noise
Hard to explain, but it's a new and different kind of noise.

When first meeting Maria, the fog becomes disabled midway through the cutscene, allowing you to clearly see Toluca lake and anything beyond it. Problem is, there's nothing beyond it so the world just kind of clips off and "ends." Related, the boating rope that cuts off and stops in mid-air (because we can see where it goes now sans fog).

jf7sk4.png

:: clap clap clap ::

Konami really didn't care for this.

Just played the PS3 version for about 20 minutes. I didn't notice any low frame rates, but the game did skip once in awhile, as if it were loading a new part of the area while it was streaming the data. It didn't seem too bad to me, though maybe I just didn't play it long enough. I'll check the video that was posted to see if it's like what I experienced.

edit: Ok so in the video that was posted, the character seems to stop running, slowing down, chugging, not running. I didn't experience any of that. But again, maybe I didn't play long enough.

Persona7

Banned
well my HD collection is still wrapped. I ordered from amazon. Few questions.

How do you return things to amazon? Is it easy? (I did not recieve a receipt slip in the box that this game came in, will that be a problem?)

How long do you have to return it (I guess I can wait until the patch comes to see if I even need to)

You can fill out a return form. You have 30 days and you do not need to have a receipt as long as the game is sealed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/returns/homepage.html/ref=ya_12

They might have you ship it back on your own dime, but sometimes Amazon will just absorb the cost and let you print out a free label to send it back. You can contact them via email, phone or live chat and explain the situation and they will accommodate you.

I talked to amazon and they told me to just refuse the shipment set for tomorrow and they will refund me the second the system shows it is going back to them.

Skullkid

I'm in the apartments now in the PS3 version. There is definite stuttering when running around outsite but it doesn't seem as bad for me as the video posted. Maybe I didn't run around yet in that area. The graphics in the apartment seem pretty good.

Ridley327

Wow, the Pc version is amazing, especially the faces.

The PC port of SH3 more than made up for the lameness of the port of SH2. The only real thing wrong with it is that it doesn't support widescreen resolutions, but I think that there's an FOV editor that you can download for the game to fix that.

ss_lemonade

kyleb over at SHH updated his screenshots to include the 360 version now too. It's not what I was hoping for from the collection, but it looks better than the PS3 version.

PC - PS3 - 360
Wow, that doesn't look good. Where's the improvements? Thought they had new textures or something. Instead we have missing shadows, missing/bad depth of field, bad specular lighting etc etc

Cudder

* The music is changed for certain parts.
This was most likely done because the original audio sections had the characters talking over the music. Without separate files for both voices and music, the music had to be re-done as well for those parts.

What? This doesn't make any sense. The audio for voices and music are separate, and are never, ever "merged" into one file.

kyleb over at SHH updated his screenshots to include the 360 version now too. It's not what I was hoping for from the collection, but it looks better than the PS3 version.

PC - PS3 - 360

Fuckin' gross. Guess I need to Ebay a PC version, because this console port is really disappointing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

PC - PS3 - 360

Seems like the 360 version is a bit brighter.

Quikies83

I can't believe this shit.. I've given this company $100 this month for my PS3.. I own both a PS3 and 360.. I figured that there was no way they would or could fuck this up for the goddamned games original console..

I'm sure this is obvious to most silent hill fans but if you change the control type to '2D type' you get a much more modern feeling control scheme for character movement. No more retro tank controls.

kuYuri

Just looked it up, so PS3 version has 2 platinums, but 360 only has 1000G spread across both games? Lame as hell. :/

I'm sure this is obvious to most silent hill fans but if you change the control type to '2D type' you get a much more modern feeling control scheme for character movement. No more retro tank controls.
You take your "no more retro tank controls" crap and get out of this thread!

I could never adapt to the other control style, personally. I know a lot of people prefer it, but it just bothered me.

Teknoman

I'm going to have to search for these arranged 5.1 tracks, because i'm not sure just how much they can change the classic cutscene tracks.

I'm not worried about the rest of the stuff since the lets play/streaming looks good enough to me, but the framerate and so on...well that patch needs to hit asap. Like tomorrow or something lol.

Just finished the PS3 version of SH2. If it weren't for the constant slowdown, horribly out of synched voices, and sound effects(not to mention some missing music). I would have greatly enjoyed this HD upgrade. The graphics are great and the missing ground textures don't bother me that much.

These glaring technical problems bog down the game so much. They take away the tension/atmosphere, and will for some make it unplayable. I can't believe that this collection was released in this state. The problems start to become less noticeable after you reach the prison section, but most people probably won't want to play that far.
In case anyone is wondering... the sound of the man crying in the 2nd floor hallway near room 204, is still there. :D

The new voices are good for the most part. Angela's new VA is a HUGE improvement. She actually sounds her age. James is okay, but I could go original VA or new with him. Maria/Mary is good, but no where near as good as the original.Just sounds too old. Eddie, and Laura are horrible IMO. The new vomiting sound Eddie makes in the apartment is too damn funny. With that said I'm not going to play this game with the new voices again.

Started a new game right away after finishing it. Turned off the noise effect, and man does this game look awesome. Was never a big fan of that effect.

Going to wait for the Patch to play born from a wish.

*takes a deep breath* Going to start Silent Hill 3 now.

Endesu

Lots of slowdown and some interesting controller issues in the PS3 version.

Quite disappointed. I hope that patch comes soon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So how do they allot the points in the 360 version? Are there the same number of achievements in the 360 version for both games?

The 360 version has one roster of achievements, meaning all the achievements of SH2 and SH3 are in one roster and the max amount of achievements for retail games should be worth 1000G.

The PS3 has two separate rosters for SH2 and SH3, thus having two extra trophies: the two platinums.

SH2 is difficult to get all the trophies/achievements thus rendering the 360 version pretty hard to 1000G. Whereas in the PS3 version, you can 100% SH3 only and get the platinum eventually.

The 360 version of silent Hill 2 certainly makes this collection worth it in my opinion. Silent Hill 3, on the other handstill looks pretty good but the missing effects and other issues certainly bog it down. I do wish they could have preserved to self shadowing and other things that are missing from 3 to make it more in line with the original intention of the developers. However, I'd be curious as to what kind of technical issues the development team ran into in implementing those types of effects.

Cudder

The 360 version has one roster of achievements, meaning all the achievements of SH2 and SH3 are in one roster and the max amount of achievements for retail games should be worth 1000G.

The PS3 has two separate rosters for SH2 and SH3, thus having two extra trophies: the two platinums.

SH2 is difficult to get all the trophies/achievements thus rendering the 360 version pretty hard to 1000G. Whereas in the PS3 version, you can 100% SH3 only and get the platinum eventually.

I see. I wonder just how many people are going to get the SH2 platinum. It's my favourite game of all time and must've beaten it anywhere from 10-15 times already, but I've never tried to 10-star it or even attempt a speed run. I think it's going to be interesting to get to know the game down to the absolute core. Once you get a 10 star rating I'm pretty sure you could beat the game with your eyes closed after that.

ULTROS!

I have never been this mad about a videogame in my entire life.

I can literally taste the salt.

Company for me. Konami is so full of fail this generation.

Ridley327

I see. I wonder just how many people are going to get the SH2 platinum. It's my favourite game of all time and must've beaten it anywhere from 10-15 times already, but I've never tried to 10-star it or even attempt a speed run. I think it's going to be interesting to get to know the game down to the absolute core. Once you get a 10 star rating I'm pretty sure you could beat the game with your eyes closed after that.

Getting a 10-star rank on SH2 is about as evil as a trophy or achievement can get without it being tied to an online mode.

Skullkid

Played SH3 for about 30 min and there is stuttering here too on the PS3. There also seems to be old school SNES style slowdown in a few parts, like I'm running underwater.

was considering PS3 version but after hearing about all the technical problems ala Skyrim I'm not even going to get the 360 version since that has problems too.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
It helps I saw this coming a mile away. I'm just sorry the solution wasn't there day 1.
Can you go into more detail about how and why the EU version will not suffer from the same problems? Will there be a day 1 patch, will the patch be on the disc or is the code somehow different between the NA and EU versions?

Top Bottom