• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Origins Exclusive Hands-On (GI online)

Alias03

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/200704/N07.0420.1747.34108.htm

Video1
Video2

09sh0_7.jpg

04sh0_2.jpg

01sh0_12.jpg

02sh0_13.jpg

03sh0_19.jpg

10sh0_8.jpg

07sh0_3.jpg

11sh0_9.jpg

08sh0_5.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
Amazing, I really thought this was vaporware.

Nice to see its coming. PSP is really hanging on there!.

I wish all " console wars" were like SNES vs GEN or DS vs PSP. Good things come from all sides.

Ravidrath

Looks very nice - looks like Climax UK saved the project. I still worry that the game will be really short, but we'll see.

Don't think this means that the project didn't have issues, though, because it was originally supposed to be finished by Climax LA last September.

Gamers take the role of Travis O’Grady, a trucker who finds himself stranded in Silent Hill after he rescues a young girl – Alessa – from a fire. Travis doesn’t quite know what happened to the girl he saved. In the demo we played, he locates the hospital in Silent Hill where he assumes is where the girl is, and this is where the game begins. Upon entering the hospital, he meets a strange doctor who he asks about Alessa. The doctor blows him off and tells Travis he has more important things to attend to, then disappears down an elevator. Instead of doing the sane thing and getting the hell out of there, Travis follows down the elevator where the demented adventure continues.

As Travis explored the hospital to find any clues as to what was going on, we encountered the trademark twitching nurse flipping out. Here is where you’re introduced to combat. By holding R you initiate combat mode with whatever weapon you have (default weapons are fists), and by holding R and pressing X you attack. You can charge your attacks by holding down X for a longer time, and by pressing square you can block. After pounding the nurse down to the ground, we walked up to the twitching body and pressed X to perform a finishing move – which was basically a head stomp.

This sounds amazing. And on top of that the trailer videos seem like SH unlike the previous trailers which seemed like some kind of imitation. The only thing those had going for it was Yamaoka's music.

Pimpbaa

Poor jpeg compression is killing those pics, still looks nice tho. I wish they would switch to png or something for showing off screenshots.

Ravidrath

jj984jj said:
Edit: Climax UK? They are making Oblivion PSP as well IIRC, anything else we know of done by this studio?

This is the same team and studio that did Ghost Rider on PS2/PSP. It's also the same engine Oblivion PSP uses.

Oni Jazar

YAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

I was getting really depressed today after hearing SH5 news and realizing that SH Origins was no where to be found. My biggest fears were creeping inside like those little scarabs in SH1.

Looks like they took out the RE4 camera angles? I really didn't care either way to me SH was more about atmosphere then anything else.

This looks to be just like the original. I played through SH1 on my PSP recently and it still scared the shit out of me. Can't wait for this!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I swear to god I'm not trolling, but does this game look better than most Wii games?

Does it almost look as good as RE4 to you guys? The lighting looks nice!

Mar

Big improvement in the visuals. It actually looks like a Silent Hill game now.

I still can't force myself to believe this could be a good game though. I'll wait for reviews and impressions before I get excited.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
mckmas8808 said:
I swear to god I'm not trolling, but does this game look better than most Wii games?

Does it almost look as good as RE4 to you guys? The lighting looks nice!

Not as good as RE4, but better than a lot of stuff out there now.

M3d10n

Pimpbaa said:
Poor jpeg compression is killing those pics, still looks nice tho. I wish they would switch to png or something for showing off screenshots.

That ain't "poor jpeg coompression". The graininess is intentional, it's not supposed to look clean. It's a very powerful effect since it camouflages low-res textures, color banding and patterned dithering.

Pimpbaa

M3d10n said:
That ain't "poor jpeg coompression". The graininess is intentional, it's not supposed to look clean. It's a very powerful effect since it camouflages low-res textures, color banding and patterned dithering.

I know the Silent Hill games have a grain filter. But there is HEAVY jpeg artifacting in those pics.

M3d10n

mckmas8808 said:
Looks nice.

SilentHill_Animation.gif

See Capcom? That's how you should have done the flashlight in RE4.
Even farkin' Necronesia does it (sans the shadows)!
More projected textures, plz!

Looking awesome.

Pimpbaa said:
I know the Silent Hill games have a grain filter. But there is HEAVY jpeg artifacting in those pics.

Grain and JPEG compression are mortal enemies. It always borks the compression unless you use the maximum quality.

NeonBlade

Banned
That is what I'm talking about. Freaking awesome!

Maybe I can hold off my PSP hate for a few more months. Stares at PSP...........

I must balance it out by mindless hating on the DS, then I can resume PSP hate.

KiNeSiS

Banned
PSP is easily becoming my favorite system.
A Real Metal Gear Game.
GTA Games
A Real God Of War
Syphon Filter
Def Jam FFNY
Fight Night

All I need now is A Fire Pro Wrestling, Resident Evil, & A Ninja Gaiden and it would be a wrap.

Top Bottom