• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Origins Exclusive Hands-On (GI online)

A quick reminder of what this game looked like before this

silent-hill-origins-20060823054124029.jpg

Wollan

That looks f'n amazing actually. Combat looks more responsive than ever but still Silent Hill paced. The graphics are *HolyShit* for a handheld and already in that small video I've seen two really intriguing scenes like carrying a crisped child through some flames and putting organs into a doll.

Regarding the child..
Holy shit it's probably Alessa and it's the house pictured in the SH1 intro!
Edit: And of course, it's right there in the article.

I wonder who stepped in and saved this game? It really looked bad the last time we saw it, now it looks like a completely different team has taken over (like Team Silent).

Alias03

SolidSnakex said:
I wonder who stepped in and saved this game? It really looked bad the last time we saw it, now it looks like a completely different team has taken over (like Team Silent).

What you saw almost a year ago was really early. In an interview about the footage last year the guy even said nothing is final. Animation, graphics, contols, targeting. So to be fair last year was really early. Plus they had a year to work on it.... a year can make a huge differance

SilentHill said:
What you saw almost a year ago was really early. In an interview about the footage last year the guy even said nothing is final. Animation, graphics, contols, targeting. So to be fair last year was really early. Plus they had a year to work on it.... a year can make a huge differance

I know it can make a big difference, but this just looks entirely different. Like if someone would've shown you that game I don't think youd' ever guessed that was Silent Hill, now if someone showed you this game you'd know it just frmo looking at screenshot. The artwork in the game shown then was just bad on almost all levels.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SilentHill said:

Yeah sorta like another Konami game that alot of people talk bad about, but was far from finished.

Hmmmm....

Ravidrath

SolidSnakex said:

The game changed teams last October. Before then it was being made by Climax's LA studio, after by one of the Portsmouth studio in the UK. I believe the game has a new Konami producer, too.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ravidrath said:
The game changed teams last October. Before then it was being made by Climax's LA studio, after by one of the Portsmouth studio in the UK. I believe the game has a new Konami producer, too.

Good. That same team needs to make the PS3 version too obviously.

Z3F

Banned
Holy crap. I didn't even know about this game. It looks so awesome. Konami, please don't cancel. I'll buy a PSP again just for this game. Who has the balls to find some dark, scary place and play it alone?

Geez this came out of the blue for me.

Metal Gear, Crisis Core [FF7], The Lion War [FFT], now Silent Hill... What's next, a revival of that GT project?

The system finally seems to be pushing some power for once. I had no interest at all 1 year ago but now I think a PSP is inevitable.

looks awesome and i'm getting a silent hill vibe from this too...

though can we keep any bitching about the RE series out of this thread? the other one is bad enough and it's not like the RE threads start bitching about the silent hill games.

the lighting is incredible for a psp game.

ram

Ravidrath said:
This is the same team and studio that did Ghost Rider on PS2/PSP. It's also the same engine Oblivion PSP uses.

uo - that doesnt bode well - also ghost rider uses the renderware engine.

On the one hand, I'm getting really sick of how Team Silent can't seem to leave the base story alone. I want more storylines that use the town as a backdrop (llike SH2) and don't have to shine a light on every dark corner of the plot from the first game. And after the crappy movie (and upcoming sequel) and the arcade game, I'm starting to wonder if the creators of the series have any integrity left.

On the other hand, this really does look great, much better than it used to. Here's hoping the shitty creature design has been fixed.
PS2 port plz.

Ceb

Night_Trekker said:
On the one hand, I'm getting really sick of how Team Silent can't seem to leave the base story alone. I want more storylines that use the town as a backdrop (llike SH2) and don't have to shine a light on every dark corner of the plot from the first game. And after the crappy movie (and upcoming sequel) and the arcade game, I'm starting to wonder if the creators of the series have any integrity left.

Well, supposedly they don't have anything to do with the creation of the story, they just greenlighted it. I don't know what THAT says about their artistic integrity though...

Anyway, the game looks really good now. I think the biggest improvement is the camera - it actually moves like a SH camera now, and I think it was important to get rid of the jerky movement that a locked camera created.

I hope the story focuses on something of its own instead of the Alessa backstory, but naturally, Travis has some kind of secret.

zallaaa

wow, it isn't called "origins" for nothing. it felt the same as the old good Silent Hill, and that's definitely good. I love that atmosphere... and the selection's sound too :p

Night_Trekker said:
Here's hoping the shitty creature design has been fixed.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the bizarre creatures shown in the original trailers? I could do without the zombie wannabes though. (Infected is what I think they were called.)

Raist

Banned
Completely looks like SH2 (I mean graphics wise), that's amazing.

Silent Hill Origins Stories, please ? :(

sphinx said:
Amazing, I really thought this was vaporware.

Nice to see its coming. PSP is really hanging on there!.

I wish all " console wars" were like SNES vs GEN or DS vs PSP. Good things come from all sides.

Yeh, totally agree there my friend.

I have the PSP and think it's awesome, I used to own the DS, and will probably buy another one again sometime.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
As much as I loved the real 3 silent hill games, I just can't see a good survival horror experience on a handheld. I'm not completely writing it off, but I will need some convincing. The first picture is really good though.

AAK

Wow, The only Silent Hill game I've played was the original and I stopped because of this one ridiculously hard puzzle can't remember. But this is looking damn interesting. I wish I played the rest of the series.

Top Bottom