• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Origins Exclusive Hands-On (GI online)

Lince

Banned
:O looks incredible for a portable system, amazing stuff... SH2 is my fav of the series and this one seems to have its vibe. can't wait!!!!

Mau ®

Holy Crap! That looks amazing and more importantly its ALIVE!!!

Seems my PSP is gonna be around for one more year.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Nice to see they're trying to add a bit more depth to battles; I can't recall ever being able to block attacks in a Silent Hill game. Now, I hope they didn't just throw in the block feature without taking it into account when designing the enemies. With a block feature, they should consider making the enemies a lot more faster and stronger than in other Silent Hill games. That would be one step towards making the actual enemies scary, somewhat like the crazy monkey enemies in the first game for example.

SolidSnakex said:
I wonder who stepped in and saved this game? It really looked bad the last time we saw it, now it looks like a completely different team has taken over (like Team Silent).

Shane was talking about it in the latest 1up podcast. He said the team that was making the previous build was scrapped and then development was handed to Climax (the guys who made Sudeki, MotoGP games for Xbox)

That explains why it looks so good ;P

Mau ®

Doom_Bringer said:
Shane was talking about it in the latest 1up podcast. He said the team that was making the previous build was scrapped and then development was handed to Climax (the guys who made Sudeki, MotoGP games for Xbox)

That explains why it looks so good ;P

Well Climax was handling it the first time. I assume they switched to another climax team (the UK one). Maybe.

For a second I was thinking this one was dead and I was just about to sell my PSP. Phew! :lol

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
inthezone said:
Well Climax was handling it the first time. I assume they switched to another climax team (the UK one). Maybe.

Yeah, IIRC he said it was handed over from the Climax LA team to the UK ditto. Or maybe I just read it in this thread. :p

Since Yamaoka is involved with this game, I wonder if he played apart in the change, especially after reading this

GamePro: Will the gameplay aspect be a resemblance of Silent Hill: Origins or remain as far as the series is?

Akira: Everything is draft at the moment, but we might not copy the Silent Hill: Origins. That is not our intention as a different studio is inventing Silent Hill: Origins.

GamePro: You sound displeased with the new system?

Akira: I dont mind it, infact I like it and agree with the choice for the Playstation Portable System, but I dont think thats the camera angle we want on a home console. That way you don't see enough of the surroundings that really mean alot to the player in Silent Hill.

Mau ®

SolidSnakex said:
Since Yamaoka is involved with this game, I wonder if he played apart in the change, especially after reading this

As far as I know Yamaoka only made the OST for Origins. If he had anything to to with the game's improvement then my anticipation is growing even more!

This looks nice, a pretty large factor as I watch how well PSP evolves and when/if I pick one up (Konami is a big factor here as I'm also watching the upcoming Castlevania, plus I'd get Gradius as well). Has to turn out well though, otherwise I'll be quite happy replaying for a 10-star in any earlier SH.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
As much as I loved the real 3 silent hill games, I just can't see a good survival horror experience on a handheld. I'm not completely writing it off, but I will need some convincing. The first picture is really good though.

Yeah, I'm not sure you can recreate the needed atmosphere anywhere you might play a handheld while on the go, and you really need to be able to focus and get into the game to feel the full effect.

I don't really see a point in making a portable SH game... except that it might get me to finally buy a PSP. Nice work, Konami! :D

teiresias

I don't want to have to buy a PSP!! *cries* PS2 port please . . . PLEASE!!!! Looks amazing though, particularly to those of us starved for actual Silent Hill content after the horrid 4 and the non-existent (up to this point) 5.

teiresias said:
I don't want to have to buy a PSP!! *cries* PS2 port please . . . PLEASE!!!! Looks amazing though, particularly to those of us starved for actual Silent Hill content after the horrid 4 and the non-existent (up to this point) 5.

STFU

teiresias

Doom_Bringer said:

Oh please, one more price drop and I'm there probably - or a redesign, whichever comes first I suppose.

Is the music in the first video new? It's awesome whatever it is, but I don't really recognize it as being reused from any of the other games (though I admittedly don't have the SH4 soundtrack in my head as much as the others, so it could be from there).

teiresias

Doom_Bringer said:
Buy a PSP

PSP >>>>>>>>>> PS2 (in terms of hardware quality)

Meh, my launch PS2 says hello as it continues to work fine. This topic is about the game Silent Hill Origins, though, not about convincing people to get or not to get a PSP.

phil_fish

this is looking mighty fine indeed.
but i just do not want to play a moody, atmospheric and scary game on a freakin PSP.

gimme SH5 info already.

inthezone said:
As far as I know Yamaoka only made the OST for Origins. If he had anything to to with the game's improvement then my anticipation is growing even more!

I think on some level Yamaoka always has a hand in a SH projects (like he did with the movie). I just can't see TS handing over a game to a developer and telling them to just make a game without them having any say over how it turns out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SolidSnakex said:
I think on some level Yamaoka always has a hand in a SH projects (like he did with the movie). I just can't see TS handing over a game to a developer and telling them to just make a game without them having any say over how it turns out.

What if Team Silent doesn't actually exist? :lol

Midna

Banned
That looks so much better then the earlier pictures I saw here. A real bugger that I don't have a PSP though.

One thing, am I the only one bothered by this:

09sh0_7.jpg

Is there any reason a nurse is wearing evening gloves and a garter belt? o_O

Crow-kun

Banned
Midna said:
That looks so much better then the earlier pictures I saw here. A real bugger that I don't have a PSP though.

09sh0_7.jpg

Because it's hot. And Silent Hill has always had that little touch of bizarre sexuality.

Kittonwy

Banned
Midna said:

09sh0_7.jpg

Because it's sexy?

Senretsu

I didn't watch the video but only looked at the animated gifs and screenshots. That looks really incredible on the PSP. I didn't think they'd be able to achieve lighting and shadows like that. Whoever the heck developed it is quite extraordinary.

SH nurses are sexy, in some sort of bizarre way

cvxfreak

Y2Kevbug11 said:
What if Team Silent doesn't actually exist? :lol

You know, I've heard from people who would definitely know, that they (TS) don't exist as an actual entity, but only as a PR front.

silenttwn

So they ditched the RE4 view? Kinda good, kinda bad. It was a neat idea but it did look like the execution was a bit off. The only thing that this looks like it suffers from now is that it looks like "generic" Silent Hill. I'm not saying the game looks generic, but if you've played all the games in the series like me it looks kind of samey. That's not a bad thing, though. There's always room for one more Silent Hill.

Oh and the voice acting sounds shitty. Definitely a true Silent Hill. :D

Kuran

Banned
Finally an excuse for the dithering.
After 4 Silent Hills I'm kind of starting to feel tired of the 'same old'... seeing that nurse really does nothing for me now. Developers, please be bold!

Boerseun

Banned
Kuran said:
After 4 Silent Hills I'm kind of starting to feel tired of the 'same old'... seeing that nurse really does nothing for me now. Developers, please be bold!

Agreed!

I'm just so terribly bored with this series. Releasing this lookalike, spin-off project on PSP isn't going to put things into turnaround either. Same old designs, same uninspired gameplay, etc. Atmostphere alone isn't enough anymore (and hasn't been since SH2).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Boerseun said:
Agreed!

I'm just so terribly bored with this series. Releasing this lookalike, spin-off project on PSP isn't going to put things into turnaround either. Same old designs, same uninspired gameplay, etc. Atmostphere alone isn't enough anymore (and hasn't been since SH2).

Says you ;), I personally LIKED a LOT Silent Hill 3 and it came out after Silent Hill 2 ;).

Boerseun said:
Agreed!

ANNNND THE TROLLS HAVE ENTERED THE BUILDING!!!!

please leave the RE4 blast-a-thon outta the Silent Hill series.....its like comparing a cheesy michael bay movie to a stanley kubrick masterpiece

and how do haters suggest they make a spinoff SH game on PSP? cell shading and lame rail shooter like REUC? or the SH arcade shooter?

I'm such a SH whore so none of this really gets me any more excited. I was already foaming to begin with. I hope to hell they keep all the unlockables from the original.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ravidrath said:
I think this is probably going to happen.
Now I'm doubly excited! :D

P.S. I love you

Lince said:
:O looks incredible for a portable system, amazing stuff... SH2 is my fav of the series and this one seems to have its vibe. can't wait!!!!
I just wanted to say you have the best avatar of the forum. Are you from Spain too?

Ceb

cvxfreak said:
You know, I've heard from people who would definitely know, that they (TS) don't exist as an actual entity, but only as a PR front.

What do you propose we call them then? "Team Consists-Of-The-Main-Creative-Minds-Behind-The-Silent-Hill-Series-Plus-Some-Graphical-Artists That-Also-Worked-On-Stuff-Like-Castlevania-And-Contra", or "Team COMCMBTSHSPSGATAWOSLCAC" for short?

How the hell are they a PR front when Yamaoka is the only one that gets mentioned in press releases?

cvxfreak

Ceb said:
What do you propose we call them then? "Team Consists-Of-The-Main-Creative-Minds-Behind-The-Silent-Hill-Series-Plus-Some-Graphical-Artists That-Also-Worked-On-Stuff-Like-Castlevania-And-Contra", or "Team COMCMBTSHSPSGATAWOSLCAC" for short?

How the hell are they a PR front when Yamaoka is the only one that gets mentioned in press releases?

What I'm trying to say is that there's no actual development team called "Team Silent." For example, Resident Evil 4 was actually developed by Capcom's Production Studio 4 which is actually a team. But "Team Silent" is just a front to give whatever team some identity during interviews (hence, PR front) in boasting Silent Hill. It makes me wonder what the team's actual name is.

Even Capcom did this. The end of Wesker's Report's credits said "Biohazard Team". But we all know there's really no such thing.

Zenith

Banned
KiNeSiS said:
PSP is easily becoming my favorite system.
A Real Metal Gear Game.
GTA Games
A Real God Of War
Syphon Filter
Def Jam FFNY
Fight Night

All I need now is A Fire Pro Wrestling, Resident Evil, & A Ninja Gaiden and it would be a wrap.

you know a PS2 has all those as well, complete with "real" and "fake" versions. :)

Top Bottom