• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill remake (concept demo)

(I apologize for the low quality video. My system couldn't handle full resolution recording)

This is a short (3 to 5 minute), fan-made recreation of the beginning nightmare in the first Silent Hill game, and is a complete project. A tribute in celebration of its 20th year of life. It has been re-imagined in a cinematic first-person view, so expect things to be different; but familiar. I really hope you enjoy.

THIS PROJECT IS COMPLETE AND WILL NOT BE CONTINUED

Game designer and Silent Hill fan Zero Trace Operative has spent the last five months recreating the opening of the first game in the Silent Hill series in first-person. This concept demo is playable now, and although it's only about four minutes long it's a powerful hit of nostalgia for anyone who spent a chunk of 1999 being terrified of foggy streets and air-raid sirens.

According to ZTO's blog about this demo, the assets are traced from model extractions rather than being ripped directly from the actual game, but they're still eerily familiar, even in this new perspective.

You can download the Silent Hill Remake demo from itch.io. ZTO has no plans to continue work on this fan tribute, and considers it complete as it stands.

It looks pretty neat. Red Crayon Aristocrat Red Crayon Aristocrat ProgenitorCastle ProgenitorCastle

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
cinematic first-person view
giphy.gif

For something that is just a fan remake with no intention's of going any further with it. It's alright. Even with the first person camera. What engine is this running in? Unity?

The original Silent Hill is one of my favorite games for the console. It boggles my mind that it still remains a PS1 exclusive to this day. No HD remaster or remake. Silent Hill 2 is generally the fan favorite. But the original game will always be my favorite Silent Hill game in the series.

nkarafo

Foggy Silent Hill isn't a great fit for a fast moving first person view. It only makes the fog more restrictive than it is compared to a slower paced 3rd person game. That's why Turok still gets flack for it and the first few Silent Hill games are getting away with it.

Tesseract

Banned
there are ways to remake silent hill in first person but i don't think this is one of them

keep working at it, dudes

Barakov

First person kills it for me. The camera angles in the PS1 game added to the creepiness of the that opening section. Silent Hill is a third-person survival horror game and if you're going to "remake" it, you need to keep it. Otherwise, you just have a low rent unity mod.

Thanks for mentioning me in the OP Grand Theft Scratchy Grand Theft Scratchy ! I already knew about this, but it's cool to see a nice survival horror game from another perspective. As one of the replies here mentioned, VR support would indeed be cool. And this doesn't take away from the existence of the PS1 original, no need to be scared of this "replacing" the original, it'll always be around for your panning camera angle goodness!

Last edited:
Top Bottom