• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories announced for Wii/PS2/PSP for Autumn 2009

bridegur said:
I never played the original, but it looks like the remake has lost a lot of the Japanese "style" that the first few games had. Now it just looks like a generic American game.

ive only seen 2 pics.....you got that just by look at two pics? Generic American game???lol if it was for 360/ps3 i bet it would be good american game....:lol

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
I really don't know why they want to shatter my memories, make a new game instead of reimagining the first game. Origins was bad enough and if it's the same developers then I just don't have any faith in them doing the first game justice.

And it's just too bad they'll probably have to censor all the good things about the Alternate Silent Hill with the increase in graphics.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I remember the UK rating board had rated and approved this game for PS2 also, and they said if the game was the same that konami woulnd't have to resubmit the game for PSP and Wii. This was on an older thread on GAF.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Kasumi1970 said:
I remember the UK rating board had rated and approved this game for PS2 also, and they said if the game was the same that konami woulnd't have to resubmit the game for PSP and Wii. This was on an older thread on GAF.
It makes sense. The Wii would never get a game like this exclusively. I don't mean that as a troll, either, but as a sad reality.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kasumi1970 said:
IIRC there were no platforms mentioned on the rating board page, and people were talking about Wii and PSP versions because the rumor was already around.
That said, a (maybe latter) PS2 version - especially after what happened with Origins - wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Chemo

Great, this is probably why Silent Hill disappeared off of the Euro PSN, and why we'll never fucking get it at all in North America. Fantastic.

Awesome.

ZeoVGM

Banned
MGS: Twin Snake talk?

I'm in the minority that liked it better.

+ Music
+ Graphics
+ Felt like MGS2
~ "Batshit insano" cut scenes
- Voice acting
- Lack of VR Missions

Honestly, I did kind of like the cut scenes. They were different, obviously. But can you really complain about MGS being insane considering what happens in the main games? Really now.

Plus, he jumped off off a fucking missle.

Fuck yeah!?!?!?!?!

dk_

EmCeeGramr said:
2ymvmh5.jpg
:lol

dacuk

Dragona Akehi said:
I really don't see the point in this. Silent Hill has never been on a Nintendo system,

The same could be applied to Final Fantasy VII in its time.

Dragona Akehi said:
is no longer by the original team that created it, and it's going to inevitably bomb.

I'm not even a SH fan, and I can't understand the logic for putting it on Wii.

...Other than being able to create a relatively easy PSP port.

Der moniez?

If you think Wii gamers are just soccer moms / casual gamers, you are falling under the spell of the "HD-games-are-the-only-ones-worthy" crew at GAF.

I love my Wii for Disaster, Madworld and HOTD: Overkill.
The "casual" games are a nice bonus for the console, in my humble opinion.

But I do not think so, given the fact that you are a faithful defender of portables (the reason I respect you so much.)

-You steer Harry with the control stick

-The Wii Remote is used to aim the flashlight "This is one of the things we dreamed about when the Wii controller was first unveiled, and it's every bit as effective as we imagined."

-The developer wants the game to be as immersive as possible. "When you want to check on something in the environment, for example, you simply fix your view on it rather than press a button, and instead of text appearing on screen, Harry comments vocally." (MARl0 note: This sounds really awesome!)

-Streaming environments that completely eliminate load times

-The static noise comes out of the Wii Remote now. It also acts as your cell phone. "Just as we're starting to feel sufficiently uncomfortable, the Wii Remote rings and nearly scares us out of our seats." "There's no response when we answer this particular call, so we hang up and try the first thing that comes to mind: dial 911. An emergency dispatcher actually picks up, her voice emanating from the Wii Remote speaker, but she can't hear Harry and eventually hangs up. Looks like we're on our own."

-Combat has been completely removed from the game. "Instead, you have no choice but to flee, which proves considerably more terrifying."

-Once the monsters see you, the chase is on. "Holding Z button makes Harry get the lead out, and during the getaway, you can barge through doors, climb over fences, jump through windows, and so on. You can even barricade doors behind you with a bookshelf or whatever else might be handy. The static gets louder as the monsters close in, and while Harry is running, you can look back over his shoulder. Watching these abominations leap over cars and crawl along the rooftops as they relentlessly pursue our hero had us on the edge of our seats." "To be clear, these chase sequences aren't quick-time events; you have full control over Harry and can choose whichever path you see fit to his destination." "The monsters will take alternate routes to try to cut you off, and they'll use their numbers to flank you whenever possible."

- "Shattered Memories is about as far removed from a typical remake as you can imagine. It takes inspiration from the original as the foundation for something that feels like a true evolution of the series."

New infos.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
AceBandage said:
New infos.
Thanks!

And wow!

-Combat has been completely removed from the game. "Instead, you have no choice but to flee, which proves considerably more terrifying."

Ok, I'm excited again.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
dallow_bg said:
Thanks!

And wow!

Ok, I'm excited again.

Why is that exciting? that particular piece sounds awful.
The rest sounds promising

beje

Banned
-The Wii Remote is used to aim the flashlight

-Streaming environments that completely eliminate load times

-The static noise comes out of the Wii Remote now.

-Once the monsters see you, the chase is on. "Holding Z button makes Harry get the lead out, and during the getaway, you can barge through doors, climb over fences, jump through windows, and so on. You can even barricade doors behind you with a bookshelf or whatever else might be handy. The static gets louder as the monsters close in, and while Harry is running, you can look back over his shoulder. Watching these abominations leap over cars and crawl along the rooftops as they relentlessly pursue our hero had us on the edge of our seats." "To be clear, these chase sequences aren't quick-time events; you have full control over Harry and can choose whichever path you see fit to his destination." "The monsters will take alternate routes to try to cut you off, and they'll use their numbers to flank you whenever possible."

Fuck yeah, all over my beard

JDSN

Banned
Here is hoping they just do redo the textures, update the sound and maybe change a little the locations, Climax better stay the fuck away from using their own shitty artists.

Oh shit, this could be like a nextgen Clock Tower if done right.

Stitch

Gold Member
Cow Mengde said:
It's not like Kitamura himself is all that "stable" of a movie director. He easily made one of the worst Godzilla movies of all time as the big guy's 50th anniversary movie. The only highlight was watching the original kill the American CGI abomination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOISbaA2G18

seriously, it was like a very long, very bad power rangers episode :(
edit: oh god, and the soundtrack was so fucking bad.

Survival Horror is back :O

I think it's a decent idea (considering you could run through SH1 & 2 anyway), and puts the focus of the game on puzzles and exploration.

Like RE5 being pure action, maybe this decides to go in the exact opposite direction.

Amir0x

Banned
Wait I don't get it. Combat has never been Silent Hill's strong point, but every encounter is now a chase sequence? That sounds like one of the dumbest things ever. :(

Sadist

Now that sounds creepy. Interest rising.

Ridley327

My ideal survival horror game has always involved not being able to fight back against the monsters. The chase mechanic sounds identical to the chase sequences from The Warriors, just with more danger. The hype meter is in overdrive for me.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Amir0x said:
Wait I don't get it. Combat has never been Silent Hill's strong point, but every encounter is now a chase sequence? That sounds like one of the dumbest things ever. :(
Exactly. I can see plenty of people getting lost because they just run in random directions. Not to mention it probably means unintended backtracking.

Spiegel

dallow_bg said:

rr46f7.gif

Nah, could be interesting.

Redd

Amir0x said:

Yeah, hopefully it won't be for the whole game and you can fight some monsters later on in the game.

Amir0x

Banned
Link said:
Exactly. I can see plenty of people getting lost because they just run in random directions. Not to mention it probably means unintended backtracking.

It just sounds like something that would get really fucking boring. Even if the puzzles were amazing, that sounds bizarre and inherently uninteresting. It's cool when games make you feel in peril, with only -little- chance of survival. It's not cool when games make you feel like a big fucking pussy who always has to run away.

Of course, I take it there's some detail we're missing here.

John Harker said:
The rest sounds promising
Depends on how they manage the action. Certainly, a Silent Hill game without combat is dramatically different, but the first Clock Tower games did this particularly well and it really added to the terror. Sounds interesting and exciting to me. I can see why big SH and horror-action game fans being unhappy with it, if this info is all legit.

Haunted

No combat is definitely a curve ball.

All the other changes sound great, this one sounds merely intriguing. Could be awesome, could totally suck.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Redd said:
Yeah, hopefully it won't be for the whole game and you can fight some monsters later on in the game.
I'm sure there will be some very basic combat with melee, using the enviroment, etc, but probably only against enemies you have to pass and confront, like "bosses".

I'm keeping my eye on this one.
Was hoping for a remake, but this sounds alright.

fernoca

AceBandage said:
New infos.
:O!
The game is sounding better and better..
Either a really elaborated April's Fools..or they are going to completely fuck the game at some point and release some piece of shit in the Fall.

How the lack of combat turns out will depend on how frequently you have to run. If it happens a lot then the "fear" factor is going to go right out the window and it's just going to become annoying that you're having to constantly runaway instead of advancing through the game. If it doesn't happen a lot then it could work.

zooL

Spiegel said:
rr46f7.gif

Nah, could be interesting.

great avatar... streetlight manifesto rules! :)

back on topic, using the remote as a flashlight and running away from enemies sounds great for a horror-title as silent hill. the use of the wiimote-speaker is promising as well...

beje

Banned
Amir0x said:
It just sounds like something that would get really fucking boring. Even if the puzzles were amazing, that sounds bizarre and inherently uninteresting. It's cool when games make you feel in peril, with only -little- chance of survival. It's not cool when games make you feel like a big fucking pussy who always has to run away.

Of course, I take it there's some detail we're missing here.

I invite you to play any Clock Tower and them come back. Take into account that "clock tower" can mean either the SNES original one that never left japan or the sequel that did. The original one got remade for PSX as "first fear". Then there's clock tower ghost head (which is not as good) and then CT3 for PS2 which is good, but not as good as the first two ones.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
MightyHedgehog said:
Depends on how they manage the action. Certainly, a Silent Hill game without combat is dramatically different, but the first Clock Tower games did this particularly well and it really added to the terror.
Bingo.
I doubt it'll be as cool as Clocktower though.

Top Bottom