• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - new screens and artworks (Nov. 2009, sorry 56k)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Saw these on IGN, I hope they're not old (I searched and nothing came up).

Screenies:
23iys83.jpg

2u462w9.jpg

2v2xe2p.jpg

71tlrt.jpg

Artworks:
21lo7z8.jpg

6zbmv7.jpg

zwfhhs.jpg

r1arzb.jpg

wssaxf.jpg

2mrvfqb.jpg

Possibly heavy spoilarz (fucked up plot twists? click at your own risk):
http://i35.tinypic.com/20ii42.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/r8e45k.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/iqv3up.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/2vvknyh.jpg <---- whoops, forgot this one

Some artworks are awesome. I love the Mia Wallace-style one :D
Source: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14325477/imgs_1.html

GDGF

Soothsayer
I would gladly read a comic painted by that concept artist.

As for the screens, they look kind of PSP to be honest.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Miau said:
Screens look good. When is this coming out?
The Wii version comes out December 8th in the US, February 2010 in Europe, as far as I know.
As DarkUSS said, the PS2 and PSP versions should come out this January in the US (no idea about Europe).

Miau

Neo Member
Jocchan said:
The Wii version comes out December 8th in the US, February 2010 in Europe, as far as I know.
As DarkUSS said, the PS2 and PSP versions should come out this January in the US (no idea about Europe).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Whoops, I forgot one of the best artworks. Just added it between the heavy spoilarz.

Miau said:
Yeah, it sucks. We also get the inferior American boxart instead of the awesome one we were supposed to get earlier :/

Climax: "We decided that we didn't want this to be a straight up remake, so we made Dahlia Gillespie a hooker."

You know how some of you fuckers complained that Homecoming was "Silent Hill-lite," that it was just "copying" the other games? Well, here's your originality. Am I writing off the game already? No, as a Silent Hill fan I'm obliged to buy it day one and I'm still excited to play it in the hopes that I am completely wrong. But nothing is convincing me otherwise just yet, including this new media, which actually makes it look worse.

Tyrant_Onion said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there'll be a variation Dahlia wich still looks like an old hag.

I guess it just depends on whether or not your psyche profile suggests that you'd rather have your crazy old cultist characters be hookers or a purple elephant.

MattNY

I will be picking it up, as it has been so long since I have played the first, this will almost seem like a new game to me.

MattNY said:
I will be picking it up, as it has been so long since I have played the first, this will almost seem like a new game to me.

I think it's pretty evident that it's nothing like the original regardless.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
brandonh83 said:
Climax: "We decided that we didn't want this to be a straight up remake, so we made Dahlia Gillespie a hooker."

You know how some of you fuckers complained that Homecoming was "Silent Hill-lite," that it was just "copying" the other games? Well, here's your originality. Am I writing off the game already? No, as a Silent Hill fan I'm obliged to buy it day one and I'm still excited to play it in the hopes that I am completely wrong. But nothing is convincing me otherwise just yet, including this new media, which actually makes it look worse.

All bitching about character looks is pretty fucking stupid consider it's been made painfully obvious characters will have multiple looks and personalities based on the profiling system.

We already know of three Cheryl models, so judging one Dahlia makes no sense.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Character art is so-so, but I'm definitely willing to give the game a shot. One of my most anticipated games this year, actually... even though I know there are a lot of aspects that have to turn out right for this game to live up to what's been presented.

EatChildren said:
We already know of three Cheryl models, so judging one Dahlia makes no sense.

I don't think a hooker variation of Dahlia should even be in the game period. That's what I'm bitching about. I'm not going to give things a free pass because of the psyche profile system, and my main complaints with the game aren't even because of some of the ridiculous character variations. The psyche profile system should be there to determine subtle character nuances and maybe slight variations to how the story is told, not turning characters into what they're not supposed to be. It's not an excuse to put stupid shit in the game.

That being said, I'm trying to remain as open-minded and positive as I can be, and I'm usually open to new things, but the videos and screenshots are making that a very difficult stance to maintain.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
brandonh83 said:
I don't think a hooker variation of Dahlia should even be in the game period. That's what I'm bitching about. I'm not going to give things a free pass because of the psyche profile system, and my main complaints with the game aren't even because of some of the ridiculous character variations.
You're complaining because she isn't the same (or a similar) character as the original game, even though we all know these characters aren't supposed to be the same/play the same roles (and this without even taking in consideration the psych profile). Shouldn't you also complain for Dr. K. being your psychiatrist instead of a corrupted doctor from Alchemilla then? Or for Harry wearing glasses and apparently
living/having lived in Silent Hill
?

Jocchan said:
You're complaining because she isn't the same (or a similar) character as the original game, even though we all know these characters aren't supposed to be the same/play the same roles (and this without even taking in consideration the psych profile).

I addressed this, for the most part, in my post edit.

Shouldn't you also complain for Dr. K. being your psychiatrist instead of a corrupted doctor from Alchemilla then?

Can't comment on that because for all we know, he is exactly that.

Or for Harry wearing glasses and apparently
living/having lived in Silent Hill
?

Not a big deal to me. He's wearing glasses, big deal. They're glasses. Not exactly the same level as turning a 70 year old cultist into a hooker, and
Harry having lived in Silent Hill is interesting to me, so no, no complaints about that

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What I meant is that Climax made one fact clear in their earlier interviews: in Shattered Memories, you're some guy named Harry looking for his daughter in a town called Silent Hill, and this is all you need to know.
Everything else that happened in the earlier games never happened in the canon of this game (take it as a reboot, like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight having nothing to do with the four previous movies), and the characters you met never existed here.
So, having Dahlia being a hooker and Kaufmann being a psychiatrist is acceptable, they're not the same characters and expecting them to have any resemblance to the ones in SH1 is meaningless. As far as we know, there might be
no cult at all
and Cheryl might be the daughter of a politician named James Sunderland and a waitress named Heather Morris.

Jocchan said:
What I meant is that Climax made one fact clear in their earlier interviews: in Shattered Memories, you're some guy named Harry looking for his daughter in a town called Silent Hill, and this is all you need to know.
Everything else that happened in the earlier games never happened in the canon of this game (take it as a reboot, like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight having nothing to do with the four previous movies), and the characters you met never existed here.
So, having Dahlia being a hooker and Kaufmann being a psychiatrist is acceptable, they're not the same characters and expecting them to have any resemblance to the ones in SH1 is meaningless.

I understand all that 100%, I've been following the game just as well-- I'm just saying that I don't like it. If they wanted to change up the characters so much they could have easily just written in brand new ones. I think the psyche profile stuff is too overblown, instead of more subtle. That's a problem for me.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
brandonh83 said:
If they wanted to change up the characters so much they could have easily just written in brand new ones.
Well, they basically did. The only thing they share with the former characters is the name. What if the hooker was called, say, Jessica? She would be a completely new character... and this is exactly what Hooker Dahlia is, besides her name.

brandonh83 said:
I think the psyche profile stuff is too overblown, instead of more subtle. That's a problem for me.
Actually, this intrigues me. I'm curious to check how much the psyche profile can effect the story and characters in different playthroughs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
brandonh83 said:
I don't think a hooker variation of Dahlia should even be in the game period. That's what I'm bitching about. I'm not going to give things a free pass because of the psyche profile system, and my main complaints with the game aren't even because of some of the ridiculous character variations. The psyche profile system should be there to determine subtle character nuances and maybe slight variations to how the story is told, not turning characters into what they're not supposed to be. It's not an excuse to put stupid shit in the game.

What defines what they're supposed to be? From memory the psych profiling system goes beyond character changes and extends into changing the plot. They game is being built so that it can be played multiple times for different variations of the plot.

Hooker Dahlia might not fit with the most well known and common interpretation of the original Silent Hill or even the general Silent Hill themes of the sequels, but what's stopping her character from fitting the variation of the story that's a product of that particular profiling?

I'm not giving the profiling a free pass as even I'm not totally confident it will be a success, but I dont see writing off character designs when the game is supposed to be multi-pathed as reasonable. Hooker Dalhia is crap if you're going to relate it to the original Silent Hill, but this looks to be changed so much that it might as well be a new game.

We'll see.

Jocchan said:
Well, they basically did. The only thing they share with the former characters is the name.

And right there is the problem.

"Hi, my name is Hermione Granger, since you answered on your psyche profile that you enjoy making pie crust and that flour is your favorite ingredient, I'll be a hooker who lets you snort coke out of my vagina."
I'm not giving the profiling a free pass as even I'm not totally confident it will be a success, but I dont see writing off character designs when the game is supposed to be multi-pathed as reasonable. Hooker Dalhia is crap if you're going to relate it to the original Silent Hill, but this looks to be changed so much that it might as well be a new game.

I just don't understand the point in calling her Dahlia if she's not Dahlia. That's all I'm saying.

I want to like this game but I'm edging back toward not being so sure about it. Some very cool ideas, but some that also seem sort of bad to me as well. Can't see this being as good as SH1-3 at any rate.

Shogun

brandonh83 said:

"Hi, my name is Hermione Granger, since you answered on your psyche profile that you enjoy making pie crust and that flour is your favorite ingredient, I'll be a hooker who lets you snort coke out of my vagina."

I just don't understand the point in calling her Dahlia if she's not Dahlia. That's all I'm saying.

I don't think I necessarily agree with you yet, we really need to see more about her character I think. Though you do raise the troubling specter of Harry Potter / Silent Hill crossover fan fiction.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
brandonh83 said:

Most of GAF would love that :lol

Honestly, it's not a big deal for me. The fact the earlier games exist in a completely separated "universe" is enough to make me stop having expectations on how things should be in this game, in the exact same way as the Joker being a crazy hobo in The Dark Knight didn't let me down even though I used to love the character in Tim Burton's movie.

brandonh83 said:
Nolan's Joker is not Burton's Joker, but they're both the Joker to me.

SketchTheArtist said:
Is it me or Cibyl and Cheryl have the exact same face? Perhaps a 'surprise' in the game? I hope not.
You know what? I noticed that too.
Who knows, in the first game Cybil was rumored to be a projection of Harry's memories about his wife.

Shogun said:
I don't think I necessarily agree with you yet, we really need to see more about her character I think. Though you do raise the troubling specter of Harry Potter / Silent Hill crossover fan fiction.

:lol that sounds scarier than this game!

Jocchan said:
Honestly, it's not a big deal for me.

And that's cool. It's just not working at all for me, but I haven't played the game yet, if I play it and Hooker Dahlia is one of the most well-integrated characters in gaming, I will come back here and choke on crow dick.

brandonh83 said:

Would you quit crying like a girl, and accept the fact that this game is not obligated to adopt every ingredient found in the original?

NintendosBooger said:
Would you quit crying like a girl, and accept the fact that this game is not obligated to replicate every ingredient found in the original?

Yeah I don't think you've really been paying attention. There's not replicating every ingredient found in the original, and then there's absurdity. It's possible to do a new take on a pre-existing product without getting dumb. If you look at my posting history about this game, you would see that I was extremely positive at first, but that has slowly degraded because of stuff like this.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
brandonh83 said:
And that's cool. It's just not working at all for me, but I haven't played the game yet, if I play it and Hooker Dahlia is one of the most well-integrated characters in gaming, I will come back here and choke on crow dick.
Haha, sorry man but I hope you're going to enjoy some crow, because it would mean this game actually turned out good :D

Jocchan said:
Haha, sorry man but I hope you're going to enjoy some crow, because it would mean this game actually turned out good :D

No, I'm with you, I would love for Climax to dish out some heavy crow for me to eat. I'd consume it with a smile on my face.

brandonh83 said:
Yeah I don't think you've really been paying attention. There's not replicating every ingredient found in the original, and then there's absurdity. It's possible to do a new take on a pre-existing product without getting dumb. If you look at my posting history about this game, you would see that I was extremely positive at first, but that has slowly degraded because of stuff like this.

The reboot is to the benefit of those gamers, like myself, who've never played the original. Do you think I give a shit if "Dahlia isn't Dahlia" in this game? Stick with the original if you're so fond of it.

NintendosBooger said:
The reboot is to the benefit of those gamers, like myself, who've never played the original. Do you think I give a shit if "Dahlia isn't Dahlia" in this game? Stick with the original if you're so overly fond of it.

So you're saying that people who haven't played the original game are going to "benefit" from the changes? That doesn't even make any sense. The original game is cherished because people loved it, which means that the storyline and characterization worked for them. Turning characters into something that they're not isn't "beneficial" to anyone.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Reimaging does not remake make!

Something like that.

Anyway, I think the game looks frickin sweet, and even better in motion, as I've played it briefly awhile go, so I'm very excited about it, naysayers aside. Bring it. Or I'll add more commas to my sentences.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
brandonh83 said:
No, I'm with you, I would love for Climax to dish out some heavy crow for me to eat. I'd consume it with a smile on my face.
We'd be smiling both :)

jett said:
...wait what, this is supposed to be a remake of SH1?
Sort of. You're some guy named Harry, searching for his daughter in Silent Hill. Everything else has been changed to fuck with your mind.

brandonh83 said:
So you're saying that people who haven't played the original game are going to "benefit" from the changes? That doesn't even make any sense. The original game is cherished because people loved it, which means that the storyline and characterization worked for them. Turning characters into something that they're not isn't "beneficial" to anyone.
Finding out I'm not replaying the same story all over again would be a benefit for me too.
Not that I'd complain anyway, I've played through SH1 countless times and I still love it :D

brandonh83 said:

I didn't say any specific "changes" were to the benefit of newcomers, simply the fact that it's a reboot, and that in and of itself provides newcomers the opportunity to comfortably get into the series since this game is a fresh start.

As far as turning characters into something they're not, well, considering some of us have never played the original to begin with, there's no point of reference to make that assessment. As far as I know or care, the characters are just as they are and always have been.

I just don't think you should come and rain down on our parade with your "The characters/story are not the same as in the original!" whining. If you want to judge the game, judge it on the basis of its own merit, of what it brings to the table irrespective of another title.

Top Bottom