• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill soft-reboot in development at Sony Japan Studio (Team Silent staff involved)

MacReady13

You can keep all the teraflops you want- if PS5 is indeed getting an exclusive remake of 1 of the best horror games ever made, Silent Hill, with the original creators back, this is a perfect example as to why I'm sticking with Sony next gen. I am excited beyond all belief to get a new Silent Hill from the actual people who created this once sublime franchise!

Why do you picture that when silent hill is a complete different game?
I picture it as being like a cross between Silent Hill 2 and Downpour. Hopefully the critics aren't too hard on it. I hope its very subtle in its dialog and doesn't have a big hollywood plot.

Last edited:

Keihart

I like Kojipro but i want Toyama in a horror game again, it's been too long and Siren 2 is still the last big classic horror game to be released.

Perrott

Gold Member
Maybe Konami split IP deals between the two. Both "won" something, everybody happy, Konami richer with minimal effort.
I doubt it.

Sony has been really proactive during the last couple of years about getting to work on Konami's IPs internally. Castlevania Requiem (2018), a re-release of the classic games Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood, was a PlayStation 4 exclusive due to Sony's involvement in the development process. Here's what Konami said at the time:
Fans of the game will relive the timeless classics like never before thanks to Konami’s partnership with SIE Worldwide Studios to create these high-quality ports.

According to the rumors, more or less can be said about Sony's upcoming Silent Hill games.

On the other hand, Microsoft have not worked with Konami in years and it doubt that there would be a big enough audience on their platforms for an exclusive release of any Konami IP to be successful. On top of that, the ResetEra user who talked about Japan Studio's Silent Hill game yesterday also posted this in regards to the future of the other two biggest Konami franchises (link):
MGS and Castlevania coming back is complete bullshit.

This makes a Microsoft x Konami collab really unlikely, as those are the only two IPs in which a western company like MS would be interested in.

Last edited:
Do you know how long I've been looking for a good quality Robbie the Rabbit plush? You're just gonna drop this comment without a link, huh?
Do you have a Silent Hill collection? I started one. The Robbie stuff is so expensive compared to the other stuff. the Gecco PVC figures are in the 100s of dollars. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GECCO-MAME...959267?hash=item3654ae8c23:g:dqIAAOSwsFJdiCGK I would love a figure of Robbie but they are just too damn expensive. The plush i bought was $80

Last edited:

Keihart

Do you have a Silent Hill collection? I started one. The Robbie stuff is so expensive compared to the other stuff. the Gecco PVC figures are in the 100s of dollars. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GECCO-MAME...959267?hash=item3654ae8c23:g:dqIAAOSwsFJdiCGK I would love a figure of Robbie but they are just too damn expensive. The plush i bought was $80
i've wanted the Gecco Heather figure since forever, i haven't had luck in Madrake and there is no reprits coming from gecco it seems :(

KatharsisT posted this on resetera: "
I absolutely don't know when Sony will make the full reveal of the PS5 with games. I just know it's a little bit delayed cause of Covid-19. I know which games they have in mind for the launch but I don't think it's my job to reveal them. If you're paying attention, you already know which games it could be. But due to Covid-19, plans could change. PS5 isn't delayed yet and they're not planning to delay it. I assume that the PS5 event will be digital if we don't find a solution for this virus soon and that Silent Hill could be announced during this event. If not, it'll be before the PS5 launch if Sony don't change plans. Maximum in October. Silent Hill reboot has been in development for more than a year so far. A build is already playable and they're ready to make a teaser for it. Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka are involved and can't wait to show what they've in store.
"

I absolutely don't know when Sony will make the full reveal of the PS5 with games. I just know it's a little bit delayed cause of Covid-19. I know which games they have in mind for the launch but I don't think it's my job to reveal them. If you're paying attention, you already know which games it could be. But due to Covid-19, plans could change. PS5 isn't delayed yet and they're not planning to delay it. I assume that the PS5 event will be digital if we don't find a solution for this virus soon and that Silent Hill could be announced during this event. If not, it'll be before the PS5 launch if Sony don't change plans. Maximum in October. Silent Hill reboot has been in development for more than a year so far. A build is already playable and they're ready to make a teaser for it. Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka are involved and can't wait to show what they've in store.
"
I CAN'T WAIT!

God no, stop the moneyhats

onmV1qQ.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my opinion it doesn’t need to be called “Silent Hill”, Toyama can just make spiritual successor to that series.

I think that’s all we really need, that way they won’t need to beg Konami for the IP and they have the freedom to do what they want with the game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Actually thank you to the ps2 emulator, I was playing forbidden Siren 2 ( Never was released to America) And actually i like the game, im in the scenario that you control a blind guy and you need to control the sightjack of a Dog , what a amazing and original form of survival horror game... No need use stupid jumpscares or Dumb ass SFX like among the sleep for example

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
"

Is this person reliable? If so then I just came.

Perrott

Gold Member
In my opinion it doesn’t need to be called “Silent Hill”, Toyama can just make spiritual successor to that series.
As the leakers already explained, having the chance to work on an already established IP like Silent Hill, thanks to the deal with Konami, it's one of the main reasons why Sony is so interested in funding this project, because it allows them to capitalize on all the hype generated by P.T. and Silent Hills with the goal of, hopefully, achieve a greater commercial success.

I would love if we get new Silent Hill from original team but if Konami won’t let it then spiritual successor is the best next thing. It’s how Igarashi give us Bloodstained.
Actually, the original team is working on the game: Keiichiro Toyama, Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka are on-board, and they are more or less the heads behind Silent Hill, the other members of the Team Silent are expendable from a creative standpoint because Japan Studio has a ton of other designers, artists and programmers with a background in the horror genre (I checked some of the developers behind Gravity Rush 2 and a lot of them have worked on the Siren, Silent Hill and Resident Evil series).

Also, the point of the rumor, the reason why most of us are pretty excited about it is because Sony is working specifically on the Silent Hill IP and not on a random new franchise or a reboot of the Siren games.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Looks like potential bad news for me, MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima and anyone wanting a Kojima SH title, or possibly even a Sony x Kojima title?

User to KatharsisT:

Previously you stated that Kojima was making a horror game for next gen on PSVR and that it might end up being Silent Hills. So was the PSVR game already signed and the "secondry deal" is about the IP used for that game (Silent Hills against other IP or a new IP), or was the PSVR game not even agreed upon yet and Kojima is looking into working with another publisher instead?

KatharsisT Responds:

Nothing was signed they were just talking about it. Kojima really wants to make a VR horror game and it suits perfectly with Sony's vision but they don't want to fully fund the game after what happened with Death Stranding. They discussed with Konami to have Silent Hills but I don't think it will happen.

The problem is that "someone" else made a big offer to Kojima, something that you can't really refuse. So things got more complicated after that. There're 3 possibilities, now and I still don't know which one will happen.

Looks like potential bad news for me, MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima and anyone wanting a Kojima SH title, or possibly even a Sony x Kojima title?

User to KatharsisT:

Previously you stated that Kojima was making a horror game for next gen on PSVR and that it might end up being Silent Hills. So was the PSVR game already signed and the "secondry deal" is about the IP used for that game (Silent Hills against other IP or a new IP), or was the PSVR game not even agreed upon yet and Kojima is looking into working with another publisher instead?

KatharsisT Responds:

Nothing was signed they were just talking about it. Kojima really wants to make a VR horror game and it suits perfectly with Sony's vision but they don't want to fully fund the game after what happened with Death Stranding. They discussed with Konami to have Silent Hills but I don't think it will happen.

The problem is that "someone" else made a big offer to Kojima, something that you can't really refuse. So things got more complicated after that. There're 3 possibilities, now and I still don't know which one will happen.
The possibility is still there, bro!

DON'T LOSE HOPE!

Airbus Jr

Banned
"All of his games (including P.T. and those before MGS) have women who are basically male fantasies (usually with weird names only they have), some kind of abuse (like domestic violence with Lisa in P.T.), transphobic dialogue, and/or acephobic content.

Taking P.T. as an example, as it's a Silent Hill game. I'm not saying domestic violence against women should be a forbidden topic in games, but one that should be handled with extreme care. At the very least, do research and work with organizations that support victims of it. I just don't think Kojima would acknowledge that responsibility based on his actions as a developer so far.

I'm also not trying to shame anyone who does like his games. I think that if people at least are conscious about what is problematic, it's OK. Some might think it's too gross for them to continue, and others understand what is bad, don't downplay it, and still finish the game. I'm personally on the former, but I absolutely respect those who are on the latter."

tenor.gif

KOMANI

KOMANI
To my understanding, the situation is a bit of a unique one. Toyama has good standing in the company because he's polite, professional, talented, and can do a lot with meager budgets. That said, neither the Siren or Gravity Rush games set the world on fire, they did make back money but neither were smash-out hits. Toyama wants to do another horror game, and Sony is completely fine with that, but if it was a new Siren game or a new IP, the actual budget would have to be on the slimmer side due to past performance indicating while both will do fine, neither would probably break out of a niche.

So enter in Konami about two years ago hunting for developers to develop two Silent Hill games. I wish I had a better understanding of how talks even began because that's a huge missing piece, but somehow or another Sony had the thought and talked with Konami still looking to fund two SH games that they could get in contact and develop a game. Toyama would be able to make a horror game like he wanted, it'd be behind an IP many would like to see Toyama work on and has more market share than Siren or another new IP does, Konami just want a quality SH game to help their reputation get back on track and been shipping around for the "right pitch". The deal was negotiated in early 2019, Sony Japan Studio is developing it composed of the Siren/Gravity Rush team, but they also contacted a lot of people who worked on Silent Hill previously to help with it, which is why people like Akira and Masahiro Ito are on board as well.

In terms of cost, Sony and Konami are both fitting the bill of development, Sony is making it, Konami gets a share of each copy sold and just partially have to fund development. From Konami's side having a Sony first party studio develop the game, with them only partially funding development and though they receive a smaller percentage cut from sales, they also don't have to pay for marketing or anything so they're cool with it and the quality may help their image. Sony for them I don't think they expect to set the world on fire, but the actual budget is nothing compared to some other games they fund, the budget is even made smaller due to Konami helping out, and this title has more of a chance as a horror game to succeed with the brand recognition and the demand for a good SH game from horror fans than a new Siren or IP maybe would based on past performance. It also helps many at Sony do like Toyama and his team and want to give them a chance to be able to stand out more and gain more recognizability.

I do hear the plan is the game will be revealed this year, (and at this point it's nearing being in development for about a year and a half almost), but it's hard to speak concretely about these things.

I also will add with the SH stuff, I received some word on some other things I'm not sharing which over the course of the next year will confirm or deny to me if what I was shared was true or not ahead of time. Some will feel that's an excuse I have "things that can prove it I can't share", but all I can do for now is be open and honest about it.

Arachnid

Wow, that is some rough pricing (I appreciate the link). I could buy a couple of high quality statues for that (though I may actually save up for that; it looks good). I don't have much SH stuff yet beyond a couple of posters and wall scrolls, but I'd like to start one once I finish my degree and aren't as strapped for cash. The Robbie plush has just been more of a lifetime obsession (I've found some pretty crappy ones over the years, and even they were pricey).

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
After stating that the calm at the Silent Hill rumor thread "won't last long" (link), KatharsisT teased an announcement at PS5's reveal event in May (link):

rIPLIc6.png

I noticed Masahiro Ito sometimes answers questions from fans on twitter. Can someone straight up ask him if he is working on a new Silent Hill?

Top Bottom