• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: The Escape released (iphone/touch) screens

dallow_bg

nods at old men
EDIT: Price is $7.99

I posted this in the App thread but figured it should get it's own thread since it is Konami's first big iPhone/Touch game.

Might be a clue as to the visual quality that Metal Gear Touch will employ.

15gql2u.jpg

14xnds8.jpg

i3tn46.jpg

8wbp04.jpg

205a9o0.jpg

RJT

So, I should get a PSP instead of an iPod Touch to replace my old iPod. Is that what konami is saying?

depward

Crossposted from iPhone games thread:

Downloaded it, played it a bit. Couple screens I took:

3154251678_c64c711bdc.jpg

3154251648_5a08207a8b.jpg

Basically... looks quite fugly. To walk, you slide your finger. To turn, you slide your finger to the side. To aim, you tilt your iPhone - your view tilts and your gun cursor is always in the middle of the screen.

The game goes like this:

You walk through corridors. You shoot enemies. So far, just slow moving nurses who just walk towards you. You walk through corridors, find a key, and open the elevator at the end. You can pick up batteries to help your flashlight battery level.

That's it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Kind of reminds me of that Detemnium: The Ward game on Nintendo DS. Only worse.

Maybe because I don't have an iPhone, but I don't see how this thing will catch on. The Nintendo DS touch screen works because you also have buttons! Pure touch screen controls sound awful to me, and there has to be only a handful of games where it'll work to its advantage (like puzzles?). I've heard some good things from certain iPhone games and all, but in the end those games cost $10 and you could buy actually GOOD Nintendo DS and PSP games for around the same price if you already have one. I just don't see the iPhone as a real great alternative to a PSP or DS.

Again, this is coming from a person who has never purchase a cell phone game of any kid.

Adam Prime said:
Maybe because I don't have an iPhone, but I don't see how this thing will catch on. The Nintendo DS touch screen works because you also have buttons! Pure touch screen controls sound awful to me, and there has to be only a handful of games where it'll work to its advantage (like puzzles?). I've heard some good things from certain iPhone games and all, but in the end those games cost $10 and you could buy actually GOOD Nintendo DS and PSP games for around the same price if you already have one. I just don't see the iPhone as a real great alternative to a PSP or DS.

Some of the iphone games are quite enjoyable and the potential is there especially in certain genres (turned based strategy, puzzle games, game that make uses of the tilting nature of the platform) for many wonderful games. Other genres not so much. It's an alternative to the PSP or DS mainly in the sense that I'm not likely to be carrying around a DS or a PSP but I am likely to be carrying around my iphone. But it's not like the DS or the PSP will go away because of the iphone. It's just another addition to the market and platform for some potentially good games. It's a win win situation.

dallow_bg said:
Might be a clue as to the visual quality that Metal Gear Touch will employ.

This game is a conversion of a year old Japan only phone game.
Metal Gear Touch is an expansion of the free Flash 2D shooting gallery on the MGS4 website.

Graphics Horse said:
Metal Gear Touch is an expansion of the free Flash 2D shooting gallery on the MGS4 website.

as stated in this thread, the PSP and DS had a good run...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Graphics Horse said:
Ah, hmm.

Well my expectations are now much lower.

depward said:
Crossposted from iPhone games thread:

Downloaded it, played it a bit. Couple screens I took:

3154251678_c64c711bdc.jpg

3154251648_5a08207a8b.jpg

Basically... looks quite fugly. To walk, you slide your finger. To turn, you slide your finger to the side. To aim, you tilt your iPhone - your view tilts and your gun cursor is always in the middle of the screen.

The game goes like this:

You walk through corridors. You shoot enemies. So far, just slow moving nurses who just walk towards you. You walk through corridors, find a key, and open the elevator at the end. You can pick up batteries to help your flashlight battery level.

That's it.

i always wondered: how are you able to take direct screen pics of your iphone?

°°ToMmY°° said:
i always wondered: how are you able to take direct screen pics of your iphone?

hold power off, double click home button. picture of what is currently on your iphone screen is saved in the photos library on your iphone.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This game doesn't deserve its own thread.

Orlics

thegodsend said:
hold power off, double click home button. picture of what is currently on your iphone screen is saved in the photos library on your iphone.

All I have to do is press the power and home buttons at the same time...

Zoc

So this is a port of the Silent Hill arcade game, right? I've played it, it wasn't so bad. Good enough material for a quickie iPhone game, at any rate. Only, I can't understand why they wouldn't just have you tap the screen to shoot at a certain spot. Tilting seems very unnatural.

cvxfreak

Zoc said:
So this is a port of the Silent Hill arcade game, right? I've played it, it wasn't so bad. Good enough material for a quickie iPhone game, at any rate. Only, I can't understand why they wouldn't just have you tap the screen to shoot at a certain spot. Tilting seems very unnatural.

Silent Hill The Arcade wasn't TOO bad. This just looks like utter trash though.

Ashour

aerts1js said:
Pro's:

-No Buttons. What would they really be for?

Con's:

-Everything else.

:lol

I almost bought it, thank goodness I didn’t, I just hope MGS isn’t as bad as this (I doubt it since Kojima himself is behind it.)

KR3W

Banned
I played Silent Hill 2 for the first time the other day, and it's sad to see what happened to this series.

Not that this is an especially high risk product. I don't think Konami will last the recession unless their Japanese games (lets Pilate et al) are highly lucrative for them. How are they making money? The house of Pro Evo it seems.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Visualante said:
Not that this is an especially high risk product. I don't think Konami will last the recession unless their Japanese games (lets Pilate et al) are highly lucrative for them. How are they making money? The house of Pro Evo it seems.

Even the sales of Pro Evo are going down the drain though. The game sold significantly less than last year in its Japanese opening and to my knowledge has been greatly outsold by FIFA in Europe.

The DDR craze is over, Silent Hill is nosediving, Contra and Gradius are long gone as big sellers, Suikoden has gone down the drain, Rock Revolution died a horrible death, and while the DS and PSP Castlevania games are awesome, IGA himself said they don't sell that great. Even the gambling and arcade businesses aren't doing so hot right now, so that's got to be taking a toll their slot machine and arcade game businesses.

Really at this point all they seem to have are Metal Gear (which they just released) and Power Pro Baseball. I'm really interested to see how they do next year because right now I'm really not seeing where they intend to make their money.

hwalker84

Orlics said:
All I have to do is press the power and home buttons at the same time...
Wow I've had an iPhone since day one. Ive read alot of tips and tricks threads and posted some tips and tricks and somehow I never knew about this one.

Top Bottom