• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: The Short Message rated for PS5 in Taiwan

3liteDragon

The Taiwan Digital Game Rating Committee has rated Silent Hill: The Short Message for PlayStation 5. Silent Hill: The Short Message was first rated for unspecified platforms by the Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea back in September. Silent Hill publisher Konami held a “Silent Hill Transmission” digital event in October, where it announced several new Silent Hill projects including a remake of Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill: Ascension, Silent Hill: Townfall, and Silent Hill f. A game titled Silent Hill: The Short Message was not announced.

Last edited:
Konami going full throttle. Metal Gear is a given for next year. Castlevania hopefullly too.

ItHasBegun.gif

That's alot of money to spend on one company for Sony though. $3 billion I could see. But $6 Billion?
Not really. They bought Bungie for $3.6B and they only really have one big IP. Given to the right hands, which Sony has, Konami's IPs would definitely make that money back.

I mean the obvious step is putting Bluepoint on remake duty. Would love a full on remake of the first Silent Hill that remains very faithful. Same goes for MGS.

As someone states above, Housemarque would be perfect for a Contra game. See if Kojima wants to work on Castlevania, again, or just give it to someone like Sucker Punch. Their vampire DLC for Infamous 2 was awesome. Maybe grow and split The Show guys to handle PES.

They could also release a Konami arcade collection, and because of their relationship with Disney/Marvel/Fox, they could most likely get gems like The Simpsons and X-Men on there.

bet they buy em out. Those IPs are solid gold. and the market cap hovers between 5-6 billion

I thought this for quite some time. Way back when they cancelled Silent Hills and gassed Kojima. Even though there is historic relevance on Nintendo platforms, the IP fit perfectly with Sony. And if Sony, for whatever reason, did go back into the portable market, then Yu-Gi-Oh! is perfect for that device.

That being said, I think Konami would over value themselves or consider an "all or nothing" sale and I don't think Sony fancy owning spa, restaurants, hotels, real estate etc. Possibly Arcades. They might acquire Konami and sell some of those businesses on. But honestly Konami could be the future of PlayStation in Japan.

A Castlevania like Bloodborne or GoW:Ragnarok, a Contra developed by HouseMarque, Silent Hills by Kojima, Metal Gear Solid by Bluepoint with involvement from Kojima. Working with Square on Suikoden. Buy the FIFA licence and re-brand the football franchise as FIFA: Pro Evolution Football (fuck anyone who says Soccer.)

I mean it's perfect. That would offset Bethesda being acquired if you're going to pit Sony specifically against Microsoft. If they wanted to match the ABK deal then I'm afraid all Sony can really do is acquire 2K and Rockstar. They'll never afford it though.

Not really. They bought Bungie for $3.6B and they only really have one big IP. Given to the right hands, which Sony has, Konami's IPs would definitely make that money back.

I mean the obvious step is putting Bluepoint on remake duty. Would love a full on remake of the first Silent Hill that remains very faithful. Same goes for MGS.

As someone states above, Housemarque would be perfect for a Contra game. See if Kojima wants to work on Castlevania, again, or just give it to someone like Sucker Punch. Their vampire DLC for Infamous 2 was awesome. Maybe grow and split The Show guys to handle PES.

They could also release a Konami arcade collection, and because of their relationship with Disney/Marvel/Fox, they could most likely get gems like The Simpsons and X-Men on there.

Its not comparable at all though.

Sony didn’t buy Bungie for IP, even though Destiny 2 itself bring in good revenue. Bungie along with Destiny 2 is already a self sustaining entity. They aren’t buying a bunch of long in the tooth IP to try and find studios to revive them.

Bungie’s acquisition serves multiple purposes including expertise in live-service, thats invaluable information that can only help sony make more money with their other studios. Konami really doesn’t help sony with anything, and those IP aren’t as valuable as people think they are.

Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania, Contra, none of those IP sell more games than Sonys current franchises. People gotta stop letting nostalgia cloud their judgement. Most of those IP are completely irrelevant to most gaming audience today. MGS is absolutely dead without Kojima and its dead after the shit show of 5 anyway

Last edited:

SilentUser

Dunno why, but I just got a feeling this game is somehow PSVR2 related (or maybe hybrid) 😅 or it would show the platform as PSVR2 instead of PS5?

Anyway, I must say I'm happy to see the return of SH. Hopefully they will manage to bring back the old school atmosphere.

mckmas8808

Banned

I gotta say............you've convinced me! :)

Translators needed STAT!

Dunno why, but I just got a feeling this game is somehow PSVR2 related (or maybe hybrid) 😅 or it would show the platform as PSVR2 instead of PS5?

Anyway, I must say I'm happy to see the return of SH. Hopefully they will manage to bring back the old school atmosphere.
Lilo And Stitch Please GIF

Ronin_7

Banned
That's alot of money to spend on one company for Sony though. $3 billion I could see. But $6 Billion?
Yeah SONY is already investing 6B on a New Fab & many other billions with TSMC In Japan, i don't see them putting 6B to acquire Konami lol SE would be more likely but press F for doubt.

Perrott

Gold Member
So, some sort of prologue or demo possibly? Demos usually don't get rated, however.
The Short Message is intended to be a standalone (free?) release, regardless of the fact that it is teasing a future title. So in that case, it makes sense for it to have to go through the rating process.

Also, another case of a prologue/demo getting rated in the past:
https://www.gematsu.com/2019/08/project-awakening-demo-project-awakening-arise-rated-in-europe
Project Awakening demo Project Awakening Arise rated in Europe
"Get a taste of the combat and action."
The Pan European Game Information board has rated Project Awakening: Arise for PlayStation 4, which the description labels as a "trial version" of Cygames-developed action RPG Project Awakening.
Project Awakening: Arise was first trademarked in January, and then rated in Korea in February.
Project Awakening was announced for PlayStation 4 at Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia's pre-Tokyo Games Show 2018 press conference last September.

So, what is this all about exactly? Is it something like that Metal Gear Ground Zero game where it's just a small side game or prequel?

Because Silent Hill F is the main new game right?

Last edited:
Yeah. That's looking awfully like the flower headed woman from their f trailer. So this could very well be a P.T. type demo they're gonna get around to releasing soon, to get you excited for what's in store for us in that upcoming game. :)

Its not comparable at all though.

Sony didn’t buy Bungie for IP, even though Destiny 2 itself bring in good revenue. Bungie along with Destiny 2 is already a self sustaining entity. They aren’t buying a bunch of long in the tooth IP to try and find studios to revive them.

Bungie’s acquisition serves multiple purposes including expertise in live-service, thats invaluable information that can only help sony make more money with their other studios. Konami really doesn’t help sony with anything, and those IP aren’t as valuable as people think they are.

Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania, Contra, none of those IP sell more games than Sonys current franchises. People gotta stop letting nostalgia cloud their judgement. Most of those IP are completely irrelevant to most gaming audience today. MGS is absolutely dead without Kojima and its dead after the shit show of 5 anyway
I wonder if Sony paid for Konami to bring it’s IPs back (only ps5 and maybe pc so far) so they can see how they do, and then buy out the company.

I wonder if The Short Message is going to be like P.T. and be released in first person. I prefer third person, myself. But it's not yet known what viewpoint we'll be getting. However, I think Konami knows that today's first person games are relatively normal now, and P.T. was in fact the last Silent Hill themed something or other, that was in first person as well.

So hmmm. You never can really tell, eh?

I think f is a prequel, so it's technically possibly meant to be about the beginning of the series, I guess. Provided they don't then do another prequel someday that predates this one, then f will indeed predate even Origins with Travis, the trucker, who also had a small role in Homecoming as the dude who gives Alex a lift home.

As you know, Origins is also a prequel, interesting as that is. But I think the other games they showed off could be getting demos, as that may make more sense.

I don't care about VR, but for anybody who likes it, okay. I hope you have fun with it.

Personally, I don't even like first person games because it's stupid to hide the face of Ethan Winters for example, yet show off everyone else you play as. LOL. What's so great about this one man that you have to never show gamers what his handsome young face looks like? Ha-ha.

But I even recall thinking that P.T. wasn't very Silent Hill-like, because when I play a demo that's a part of a long running franchise, I like to see things that's indicative of the series, such as how you usually find health drinks, red symbols, liquids, and things that can let you know that, hey, this is a new part in the mythology surrounding Silent Hill. When you played P.T., it was just you, a female ghost, and a house. If that Silent Hills name didn't flash up at the end, who'd be any the wiser?

Sure, RE7 is a sequel, but they changed the first aid sprays because you use green medi bottles, and instead of typewriters for saving your progress, you use answer machines. And they just talk about old RE stuff like Raccoon City and Umbrella, to connect it somehow. So I think they've tried to do that with the world of Silent Hill as well, where things occur for some reason, but it's not really linked to much of anything that came before it. So it's really just an "in name only" kind of thing. If you know what I mean...

Last edited:
Top Bottom