• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

SZips

Isn't the game something like 3gb anyway?

My current disk usage for Cities Skylines is just under 3.2GB

That includes a couple of mods and saves.

The download for it was much smaller than the install size. I think it was something around 1.9GB if I recall correctly.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy shit. Skye is blind AF.

lol that interchange :/

I dunno, the longer I watch Skye build his current city, the less I'm interested in it. It's not working very well. He doesn't seem to be using some of the SimCIty strategies he used in his previous LPs to manage traffic.

Mr Swine

Banned
No preload.

Not much need for it, though, the game's less than 4GB. I'll start it when I get home, it'll download while I'm in the shower, and be done before I'm out. No biggie.

It will probably take around 3-5 minutes for me to download the whole thing through steam at top speed for me lol

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
My current disk usage for Cities Skylines is just under 3.2GB

That includes a couple of mods and saves.

The download for it was much smaller than the install size. I think it was something around 1.9GB if I recall correctly.

wow
the fact that my theory test dvd is nearly triple the size of this game is insane

I wonder if we're able to force AO through drivers. As of now there doesn't seem to be any solution available. It's looking good as it is but the assets would benefit a lot from being more grounded, trees and all, especially when zoomed in.
Has anyone tried it already with Invidia Inspector et al.?

Seiniyta

I wonder if we're able to force AO through drivers. As of now there doesn't seem to be any solution available. It's looking good as it is but the assets would benefit a lot from being more grounded, trees and all, especially when zoomed in.
Has anyone tried it already with Invidia Inspector et al.?

That's one thing I do really miss from Simcity 2013 though. The game was really pretty.

Can't wait for it to release, also interesting how much smaller the game is compared to Simcity which was around 12 gigabyte without the expansion.

Amiibro

Is there anywhere that I can order this game that will offer refunds if it does not run well? I thought I read some sites will refund within a time limit. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro i5 DC 2.6 Haswell with 8GB ram and Iris Pro graphics. Im thinking it will play it but Im not sure. Some other games that ask for a discreet video card this computer runs like a champ.

Any ideas? maybe I will just wait and see if anyone runs it on a similar computer

That's one thing I do really miss from Simcity 2013 though. The game was really pretty.

Can't wait for it to release, also interesting how much smaller the game is compared to Simcity which was around 12 gigabyte without the expansion.

Yeah, I went from "oh, look, it's one of those Sim City wannabes, and a bland one at that" to "dammit, I spent too much time watching streams of Cities on Twitch" within two days. Also, thanks GAF for pointing out that it's not made by the devs of Cities XXL, that sure helped me getting hyped.

trinest

lol that interchange :/

I dunno, the longer I watch Skye build his current city, the less I'm interested in it. It's not working very well. He doesn't seem to be using some of the SimCIty strategies he used in his previous LPs to manage traffic.

Main issue for me is he is in the bloody graphs and stuff more then doing things.

What bugs me is how he so nonchalantly destroys leveled up buildings - just to put in a dirt road or something. It seems like the 20+ episodes are more him just dinking around trying to create his New York, and less about testing the mechanics. Which is fine, he's still entertaining to watch, and I'm still learning stuff.

sueil

These 3d city builders never look right to me. It's just giant buildings in the middle of nothing with lots of empty space. It feels like everything should be tightly packed with lots of alleyways and streets that make no sense and horrible traffic problems and no trees anywhere.

Lettuce

You must deactivate the proxy after clicking the "Finalizar pedido" button, which will open a Paypal window. Once deactivated, enter your PP details, make the payment and it should be done.

Z5XwR9V.png

What proxy are you using? Hola had some problems with Nuuvem as far as I know. FlyVPN worked fine here the few times I wanted to buy on Nuuvem.

Yeah that's what I did but then it gave me a 404.

I was using Hola so I'll try FlyVPN.

I used Hola in Chrome and didnt deactivate it throughout the purchase process and the paypal window popped up and allowed me to finish the transaction fine

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Traffic circles make me angry does this game have stop lights I can put on every corner?

traffic circles?
do you mean roundabouts? dont be hating the superior mode of traffic management

Yahsper

What bugs me is how he so nonchalantly destroys leveled up buildings - just to put in a dirt road or something. It seems like the 20+ episodes are more him just dinking around trying to create his New York, and less about testing the mechanics. Which is fine, he's still entertaining to watch, and I'm still learning stuff.

It's infuriating to watch how he handles traffic at times. I wanted to yell at my screen when he made the roundabout in the north and then made an intersection right after for the general industrial zone. And his traffic in the papermill district is a disaster.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Main issue for me is he is in the bloody graphs and stuff more then doing things.
Yeah, he has slacked a bit on actually building stuff. Part of that is because he's been so preoccupied trying to fix things. The info views do make me realize another pro that SimCity has over this game. The info views in SimCity were very informative, and drop dead gorgeous.

Destroying the leveled up buildings doesn't seem like it's that bad. As long as the services are still there, they'll level back up fairly soon.

Out of all the streams I've watched, so far I've yet to see anyone implement proper road hierarchy in their city. Zoning on boulevards everywhere. Everywhere :/

Kinthalis

Banned
So because of the horribleness of the waiting, I re-installed Sim City.

My god, the limitaitons of that game just came back to smack me in the face. I ended up going back to watching streams and playing the PoE backer beta :)

Tuesday can't come fast enough!

Jedi2016

So because of the horribleness of the waiting, I re-installed Sim City.

My god, the limitaitons of that game just came back to smack me in the face. I ended up going back to watching streams and playing the PoE backer beta :)

Tuesday can't come fast enough!
Yeah, I booted it up a few days ago, spent about three minutes looking at my city, immediately remembered what I needed to do, knew I couldn't do it, and then logged out.

Is there a post or site that summarizes the main differences between this and SimCity? I'm incredibly interested in this game since SimCity 2013 was such a disappointment with its tiny cities, but I'd like to know just how different the games are in other ways as Cities XL was not very fun for me and I'm worried this would be missing the "fun" that SimCity always seemed to capture.

Is there a post or site that summarizes the main differences between this and SimCity? I'm incredibly interested in this game since SimCity 2013 was such a disappointment with its tiny cities, but I'd like to know just how different the games are in other ways as Cities XL was not very fun for me and I'm worried this would be missing the "fun" that SimCity always seemed to capture.

Expecting this in the OT

spiritfox

Expecting this in the OT

Way to put pressure on me.

If you mean Simcity in general, Cities Skylines follows the Simcity model closely, where you can actually paint an area a zone instead of plopping zoning lots like Cities XL. It does not have the level of whimsical humor as the Simcity games, but it feels more light hearted compared to Cities XL, which does not have any humor at all. Cities XL feels very dry compared to Simcity.

In terms of differences in tone, there are no disasters, no weird news ticker (although Chirpy provides some, it's not as hilarious), and no silly building queries. There isn't any silly buildings like the Tourist Trap and Bureau of Bureaucracy in Simcity 4. No llamas too. Cities Skylines is more straight, though it does not take itself too seriously.

I hope this answers your question.

Way to put pressure on me.

If you mean Simcity in general, Cities Skylines follows the Simcity model closely, where you can actually paint an area a zone instead of plopping zoning lots like Cities XL. It does not have the level of whimsical humor as the Simcity games, but it feels more light hearted compared to Cities XL, which does not have any humor at all. Cities XL feels very dry compared to Simcity.

In terms of differences in tone, there are no disasters, no weird news ticker (although Chirpy provides some, it's not as hilarious), and no silly building queries. There isn't any silly buildings like the Tourist Trap and Bureau of Bureaucracy in Simcity 4. No llamas too. Cities Skylines is more straight, though it does not take itself too seriously.

I hope this answers your question.

Yes, that answers a lot of my questions. Hearing that it works similarly to SimCity is great, as I really like how they handle a lot of things and I'm hoping it won't have too big of a learning curve. Thanks for the response, and I suppose I'll have to watch Twitch streams or just play the game myself in order to pick up any nuances.

Game is now #1 seller on Steam....got damn!

Yeah, it's been for awhile now, I imagine they're pretty happy about it.

Well, for one, the "Cims" actually seem to exist in the world and you can follow them go to and from work/whatever and they don't just go to whatever the closest place is to fulfill their task. Then there's the obvious massive size difference, others who have paid a lot more attention can go into a lot more detail I think.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Main Features

Price at launch:

SimCity - $60
Cities Skylines - $30

Maximum size of a city:

SimCity - 2km X 2km = 4 square kilometers
Cities Skylines - 6km X 6km = 36 square kilometers. There is already a mod out that will unlock even more space - 10km x 10km = 100 square kilometers.

Multi-threaded

SimCity - No
Cities Skylines - Yes

64-bit compatible (This means you can use more than 4GB of RAM to run the game)

SimCity - No
Cities Skylines - Yes

Always online:

SimCity - lol yes (but patched out a year later)
Cities Skylines - Fuck no. (One time Steam DRM activation, but that's it)

Map and asset editing:

SimCity - No
Cities Skylines - Yes

Mod support:

SimCity - Not at launch, but added in (a lot) later. With restrictions.
Cities Skylines - Yes. With a modding API and Steam Workshop support.​

Citizen Simulation

Both SimCity and Cities Skylines use an agent-based simulation to represent their citizens. SimCity, however, cannot handle as many citizen agents in as large a space as Cities Skylines can.

SimCity - 3 main types of citizens, workers, shoppers, and students. They would all go out en masse to the nearest workplace, store, or school, then all come back to any residence. Not very "realistic".

Cities Skylines - Each citizen is individualized and has a permanent residence and a permanent job. They will go about their day and work/shop/play as needed. Each citizen can be renamed. Pretty much anything can be renamed in Cities Skylines. Even pigs on a farm.​

Traffic and Mass Transit

SimCity: Traffic was a mess, and still can be if you don't know how to properly manage your citizens. Behavior was akin to citizens moving from any residence sink to any work/shop/school sink, then back to any home sink again.

Transit options included Buses, Streetcars, Trains, Planes, and Boats, but routes could not be assigned, and things like busses just move in a seemingly randomized and inefficient pattern that you have no control over.

Cities Skylines: For the most part, it models actual real life traffic a little better just because of how those work/shop/school mechanics work. There also isn't a deluge of agents vomiting out of buildings all the time, so it gets a little less congested.

Road options are much better, since you can use highways, onramps, and interchanges. There are more options to influence traffic than SimCity has. No tunnels, however, but the devs are planning on implementing that soon after launch.

Transit options include Buses, SUBWAYS, trains, planes, and boats. You can set your own routes, and sims will transfer and use the mass transit like you'd expect them to. MUCH improved over SimCity's mass transit.​

RCI system

SimCity: A slight departure from the RCI system of SimCity4. It was more like whether or not you have enough workers to work jobs, and enough goods to satisfy shoppers. Building more residential generated workers and shoppers, building industry generated jobs, and building commercial generated jobs and goods to be sold. It really didn't matter much. Stuff got build right as you zoned them, and they would either grow because they got their needs fulfilled, or die.

Residential buildings would grow because the workers went to a job sink, then came back to the building with money. Then, the shopper agents would go to a store, and buy a good (if available), then come back with happiness. Once the happiness reached a certain point, the building would upgrade in density.

Commercial buildings would get happier when a shopper agent or tourist would buy their goods. Or, if they got a freight shipment from an industry building. Once the happiness reached a certain point, the building would upgrade in density.

Industry buildings would start work once they received a minimum amount of workers, then they would periodically produce freight, which would get shipped to commercial zones. If they were able to drop off a freight shipment successfully, they get happier. Once the happiness reached a certain point, the building would upgrade in density.

It didn't really work all that well, and you were usually better off just ignoring industry alltogether.

Cities Skylines: Their RCI model appears to be more like SimCity4, but with elements of SImCity. Having one increases the demand for the other two, and so on. Industry also generates cargo, which is shipped to commercial stores to sell. Fairly straightforward. If there are enough places to work, and shop, residential is happy. If they can ship out enough goods, industry is happy. If they can sell enough goods, commercial is happy. If there are adequate services, everyone is happy.​

Services

Stuff like Police, Fire, Ambulances work fairly similar in both games. The AI in Cities Skylines appears to be better.​

RayStorm

Oddly enough to me, Skylines seems to have the opposite problem that SC 2013 had in regards to the amound of citizens. It sure seems like that cities in Skylines should have many times more inhabitants than shown. It feels wrong to see a city of 7 tiles filled with 15+ story buildings only house around 150000 people. To me it feels a city like that of Etalyx ought to have about 20 times as many inhabitants as shown. And that'S pretty muc hthe feeling I get from any city.

Or in other words, and that has been an issure for me for ever with city builders: The scale of buildings feels wrong. Industry too should take more space than it does as in individual buildings being a whole lot bigger than 4*4 tiles maximum.

Oddly enough to me, Skylines seems to have the opposite problem that SC 2013 had in regards to the amound of citizens. It sure seems like that cities in Skylines should have many times more inhabitants than shown. It feels wrong to see a city of 7 tiles filled with 15+ story buildings only house around 150000 people. To me it feels a city like that of Etalyx ought to have about 20 times as many inhabitants as shown. And that'S pretty muc hthe feeling I get from any city.

Or in other words, and that has been an issure for me for ever with city builders: The scale of buildings feels wrong. Industry too should take more space than it does as in individual buildings being a whole lot bigger than 4*4 tiles maximum.

True, watching the Paradox stream yesterday when his city only had 16,000 residents but looked like a city that should've had around five times that.

strata8

It's a design decision. They've chosen to represent the actual number of agents being simulated rather than an inflated population estimate. Remember that SimCity got absolutely slammed for doing the latter.

And the scale is always going to be wrong with city builders. Cities with realistic densities would be incredibly tedious to build and maintain.

ibyea

Banned

That's in part why I prefer statistical simulation to agent simulation. Of course, the trade off is that it doesn't look as cool. I doubt a stat simulator could do traffic like Skylines.

Jedi2016

Also most cities that you think are that size IRL are actually much, much larger. Most of the pictures you see of "big cities" are usually only a tiny part of downtown, and probably don't even feature any residential buildings or areas, which makes their actual population close to zero, instead of the "million-plus" that your mind imagines.

Klyka

Banned
That's in part why I prefer statistical simulation to agent simulation. Of course, the trade off is that it doesn't look as cool. I doubt a stat simulator could do traffic like Skylines.

Well technically, couldn't they just show a statistical number instead of the number of agents? I mean, it's literally just a number. They could show 10+ million population to appease the "but my pop!" crowd and still "only" have 1 million agents on the streets.

I mean, would you REALLY notice? Can any of us actually visualize what 1 million or more people look like?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I love following my Cims to see how they use my public transports.

I made several bus and metro lines, and most of my Cims now use them instead of taking their car.

I'm preparing a little video for Gamersyde showing this.

I could find a Cim that wanted to take the Red Bus line, but the Yellow one came first to the stop, so she took it instead and left at the next stop to pick the Red line, as the Yellow one does not go where she wanted to.
Another example is an elder, he took the metro to cross the river, then took another line in the same station, and then walked a little bit to take the bus.

I also have a metro line going from residentials to industries, traffic is now low on roads as it has a 100% efficiency.

This game is incredible, I love it.

Top Bottom