• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Similar game than Journey with local coop for my daugther and I ?

DelireMan7

I introduced my 5 years daughter to gaming last year with Rayman Origins. We beat it in coop and I wanted to show her something else.

So I let her play Journey. She really likes it and I help to do the platform part (3D movement looks overwhelming for her).

I really wish I could coop with her in it.

Is there another game with a similar atmosphere (dreamy and contemplative with ultra minimalist HUD) with local Coop ?

Thanks !

Urban

TJiBEQMJ9qa93lWBu4sKScY9.png

so good!

Impotaku

Sky children of light is exactly what you might be looking for it's made by the devs that created journey & you can play together with friends but not sure if you can do local coop on one machine though. The game is stunningly beautiful & best of all it's totally free on switch they have cosmetic mtx stuff but the base game is totally money free. not sure if xbox & playstation got it as well though.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
yeah but he stated, that its the 3D movement? Sackboy is more topdown.
Still a pretty challenging game midway through and later on. I played through it with my girlfriend and she struggled a lot.

Again a very good choice in terms of visuals and presentation but it is not an easy game.

DelireMan7

I didn't like the first Littlebigplanet and I am not huge fan of platformer (Rayman is a rare exception) so no for me I think.
Sky children of light is exactly what you might be looking for it's made by the devs that created journey & you can play together with friends but not sure if you can do local coop on one machine though. The game is stunningly beautiful & best of all it's totally free on switch they have cosmetic mtx stuff but the base game is totally money free. not sure if xbox & playstation got it as well though.

This sounds quite nice. I am gonna look if local coop is available.

Guilty_AI

Not sure if exactly what you're looking for but off the top of my head:

A Hat in Time
It Takes Two (this one may spark some awkward conversations tho)
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Last edited:

Impotaku

I didn't like the first Littlebigplanet and I am not huge fan of platformer (Rayman is a rare exception) so no for me I think.

This sounds quite nice. I am gonna look if local coop is available.
When you meet a player in game it's pretty sweet as you can hold hands and go everywhere together like that guiding each other, the idea of the game is like journey as in you meet players randomly while online and share the experience. The environments are stunning there are moments when i was just flying that i stopped to take it all in on how beautiful it all was, it's like been inside a dream.

If you don't have a switch i think it's also on ios & android

Last edited:
I often play games with my 6 year old son and have done for a year or two now. I can recommend:
  1. Sackboy a Big Adventure
  2. Mario Odyssey
  3. Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury
  4. Almost any Lego game
  5. Minecraft

ZoukGalaxy

Journey is REALLY an unique atmospheric masterpiece. Sadly, you won't find anything very similar.

Try Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

+1 for Unravel 1/2, it's very different, atmosphere is more nostalgic than dreamy but worth give a try for both of you.

Try also Flower and less likely Lifeless Planet (but very loneliness atmos + platform phases)

Last edited:

DelireMan7

When you meet a player in game it's pretty sweet as you can hold hands and go everywhere together like that guiding each other, the idea of the game is like journey as in you meet players randomly while online and share the experience. The environments are stunning there are moments when i was just flying that i stopped to take it all in on how beautiful it all was, it's like been inside a dream.

If you don't have a switch i think it's also on ios & android
I looked a bit and it definetly looks like Journey. But a bit less contemplative I have the feeling and no local coop unfortunately. But I'll give it a shot when I get my switch back :)
I often play games with my 6 year old son and have done for a year or two now. I can recommend:
  1. Sackboy a Big Adventure
  2. Mario Odyssey
  3. Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury
  4. Almost any Lego game
  5. Minecraft
Thanks for the input. It doesn't look my kind of game (platformer and Mario... but children make us do weird thing so I might end up playing Mario with her once xD)

Journey is REALLY an unique atmospheric masterpiece. Sadly, you won't find anything very similar.

+1 for Unravel 1/2, it's very different, atmosphere is more nostalgic than dreamy but worth give a try for both of you.

Try also Flower and less likely Lifeless Planet (but very loneliness atmos + platform phases)

I might show her Flower. It's a good idea.

Unravel 2 was cited several times already and I checked it. It looks like the mood and atmosphere I am looking for. However the platforming looks pretty hard (for me and my daughter XD) but I will definitely try it.

And thanks for Brothers : A tale of Two Sons. It looks amazing. I think she's a bit do young and emotional for it now (I can already see here crying when I tell her it's the story of 2 brothers looking for a cure for their ill dad) but sounds perfect for a bit later. Actually, I could convince my non gamer wife to play it with me :)

Anyway ! We'll stick with Journey for a bit then I might try Unravel 2 with her.

P.Jack

Brothers is not a co-op game, unless you both play one-handed; each thumbstick controls a character.

Might not be what you are looking for, but Knack 1&2 are excellent co-op games for that age group. The first one got minimal platforming and player two is basically invincible. Sets you up nicely for the second one, which is actually a good game.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Is there another game with a similar atmosphere (dreamy and contemplative with ultra minimalist HUD) with local Coop ?
Try Haven.
capsule_616x353.jpg

ss_cedf74e214e7607ccdc87f76ec40222c8375979e.600x338.jpg

It's more than a little inspired by Journey mechanically and in terms of exploration (just that this is more of an open-world), and very much minimalist in UX/presentation. It's also designed for co-op(narrative and gameplay alike), and easy to play through (as it's a visual novel behind the scenes).
Narrative is thematically centered on nature/exploration of human relationships, but I assume you're looking for gameplay first.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I introduced my 5 years daughter to gaming last year with Rayman Origins. We beat it in coop and I wanted to show her something else.

So I let her play Journey. She really likes it and I help to do the platform part (3D movement looks overwhelming for her).

I really wish I could coop with her in it.

Thanks !
Human Fall Flat

Saber

Gold Member
The same thing I posted in the other thread.

Recommed Sword of Ditto since its a couch coop hack-slash game. Watch on youtube for gameplay if you feel interested, just don't forget to play the game on Easy if you ever pick it.

Banned
31fa4b76-5261-4cdb-b914-7bd50648bb5a.jpg

(Wii // Back compat on Wii U)

easy to pick up 2D Jump n run, you basically can't die (instant respawn) and the
Challenge is more about getting all the secrets and keeping your collected items

R.52e8cf1a2bd89cdad683dae29ba5575b

(PC, PS2, PS3, GameCube, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii // Back compat on Wii U, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S)

same deal, you insta respawn and the challenge is more about unlocking everything by getting and
keeping enough lego pieces until the end of the level.
you will unlock new characters which then give you access to new areas in levels you played before,
these new areas are often also fun little puzzles basically.

This title has A SHITLOAD OF CONTENT... it's 2 Lego games in 1 with adjusted gameplay and remade
vehicle sections for the vehicle levels of the first game
(they were kinda shit in the og version, but are unlockable in this too as a bonus)

Cutscenes are recreations of Star Wars movie moments, and they are all done without voice acting,
it's basically all miming, which makes these older Lego games way more charming than the newer ones

When it comes to Lego games, I would HIGHLY suggest to not play any Lego game that released after Lego Indiana Jones
The games after that became ridiculously convoluted and filled with random bullshit to make it seem
like there is more to them than there really is... I'm talking EXTENSIVE item wheel menus and dozens of random abilities per character...
that shit is not only annoying but for a 5yo I would assume also very overwhelming.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Try Haven.
capsule_616x353.jpg

It's more than a little inspired by Journey mechanically and in terms of exploration (just that this is more of an open-world), and very much minimalist in UX/presentation. It's also designed for co-op(narrative and gameplay alike), and easy to play through (as it's a visual novel behind the scenes).
Narrative is thematically centered on nature/exploration of human relationships, but I assume you're looking for gameplay first.
Beautiful game... But I cant recommend this... Because have mature themes for adults.

teezzy

Banned
Try Haven.
capsule_616x353.jpg

i forgot about this, i remember thinking it looked really cool

is there any sort of actual gameplay involved or just walking around and exploring?

not much gameplay to it though eh? i just like the way it looks

DelireMan7

Try Haven.
capsule_616x353.jpg

Funny I just saw it in a video about contemplative game.
Beautiful game... But I cant recommend this... Because have mature themes for adults.
After some research on it, I think the same.

Abzu is a great spiritual successor game but instead of the desert it's the ocean.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
is there any sort of actual gameplay involved or just walking around and exploring?
There's RPG-lite elements - combat, crafting, resource hunting, crop-growing. But all of it is in service of the visual-novel, so quite light/not an actual challenge to overcome (occasional boss-fight can be a bit harder, but there's no true fail-states to worry about).
On the plus side gameplay is so well integrated into narrative it pulls off a sort of 'slice-of life' to anything you do in the game-world.

After some research on it, I think the same.
Yes the themes are aimed at adult audience - but the same is true of Journey, it's just more metaphorical/abstract about it.
I suppose it varies - as a kid (around 7) I was made to read Little Prince and that was entirely outside of my realm of comprehension at the time - but still kind of worked due to art-style and all that.

Catphish

My daughter and i recently discovered this and have been playing co-op:

We like it. You'll probably have to lead the way, because the puzzles can be tricky, but she should enjoy it. Free on gamepass as well if you're subbed.

Top Bottom