• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Simon & Schuster cancels the publication of Sen. Josh Hawley's upcoming book "The Tyranny of Big Tech"

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
The point is that if you support stealing an election and it blows up in your face and you look like a fucking dipshit traitor don’t expect people to want to work with you.
I'm sorry, but I'm not taking any talk about treason from a democrat seriously. Not after these last 4 years. Screaming "traitor" is the new "Nazi" for the left.

Like I said previously. All this does is prove Hawley was right about how the left operate. Cancel culture tactics and justifying anything to suppress speech from their political opponent's.

Feb 3, 2015
I'm sorry, but I'm not taking any talk about treason from a democrat seriously. Not after these last 4 years. Screaming "traitor" is the new "Nazi" for the left.

Like I said previously. All this does is prove Hawley was right about how the left operate. Cancel culture tactics and justifying anything to suppress speech from their political opponent's.
A self fulfilling prophecy.

• Fire
Reactions: e&e

LarknThe4th

May 19, 2020
This is how the free market works, they decided to end their relationship with him, and now he has to find another publisher

But hey he probably loves it, this keeps him in the news after his little stunt last night

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
Simon & Schuster is of course free to as they please, but if they think a man standing by his conviction is a threat to the democracy and freedom of the republic, the institution that is the US of A might as well die.

Looking in, it looks like people who can't be bought are deemed to be the most dangerous representatives, funny that.

• Love
Reactions: deafmedal

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019

This is using embellished victimology while at the same time garnering support to go against the “power”.

Sure he can sue, but typically conservatives didn’t push the victim complex before Trump came in power. Only after they fail, do they espouse conservative views.

e&e

Nov 17, 2020
Getting the usual "I didn't read it but here's my review anyway" that things like these always attract:

You wonder why companies try to distance themselves?
Honestly I agree with him on some big tech stuff, and recently his efforts to try and get people $2000. I thought to myself that I could reach over the aisle with him, but then he turned to sedition for something he knows nothing about and had no proof of (but hearsay) and all of that disperses...

• LOL
Reactions: Sign

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
We are quickly entering a world where anyone who says anything outside of the CNN narrative is going to be shunned and isolated. It’s been going on to some extent for a while but they are going to bring the hammer down and it is going to be brutal. The censorship will be taken to an extreme level. Hawley was going to get his book canceled by S&S no matter what, as will all people to the right of Nancy Pelosi.

I expect that 99.9% of Republicans and cuckservatives will do nothing but whine about it while espousing that their very principled principles mean they can’t actually do anything about it.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
Honestly I agree with him on some big tech stuff, and recently his efforts to try and get people $2000. I thought to myself that I could reach over the aisle with him, but then he turned to sedition for something he knows nothing about and had no proof of (but hearsay) and all of that disperses...
people on the left burning down police buildings, assaulting people walking down the street, firebombing and looting small businesses, writing about how the system needs to be “dismantled”, storming government offices, trying to light them on fire - voice of the unheard, stunning and brave, addressing a public health crisis

people on the right entering a building they have the right to enter = sedition

tichamac

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
Was it sedition when democrat politicians and propaganda outlets were refusing to accept the 2016 election while repeatedly claiming, without evidence, Russian collusion?

e&e

Nov 17, 2020
people on the left burning down police buildings, assaulting people walking down the street, firebombing and looting small businesses, writing about how the system needs to be “dismantled”, storming government offices, trying to light them on fire - voice of the unheard, stunning and brave, addressing a public health crisis

people on the right entering a building they have the right to enter = sedition

Was it sedition when democrat politicians and propaganda outlets were refusing to accept the 2016 election while repeatedly claiming, without evidence, Russian collusion?

I don’t engage with Whataboutism comments. Respond to what I posted or move on. Bye.

Reactions: BarringGaffner

MastaKiiLA

Jun 11, 2020
So Hawley was right.

Biden's America. Only certain Americans with the correct opinions are allowed to be published.
He can find another publication. This isn't censorship, it's image management (PR). You should learn the difference. Companies distance themselves from toxic elements every single day.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
He can find another publication. This isn't censorship, it's image management (PR). You should learn the difference. Companies distance themselves from toxic elements every single day.
And who decides who is a toxic element. People like you? The type of people who call anyone they disagree with a nazi?

"Oh it's a private company"

Ahh yes of course. progressives love to become libertrarians when they see a chance to censor someone. Since they are a private company, they are immune to criticism. Please, go back to "progressively" licking this corporation's boot.

Last edited:

MrA

Mar 9, 2020
kind of funny how in 2016 calls for faithless electors, nor the riots in response to Trump's presidency were considered an issue. not to mention 4 years of claims that the election was stolen.

Feb 3, 2015
As expected here comes the defense of "They're an independent company, they can do what they want." Here's a comic that explains the problem, because large swaths of the left only seems to understand ideas if they're in an easilly digestible meme format.
Very stupid meme. There are tons of alternatives to Twitter, PayPal, just not as big. As for the gov’t... there are legal ways to build/change your own gov’t: voting or running. Or fucking off to somewhere else.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Very stupid meme. There are tons of alternatives to Twitter, PayPal, just not as big. As for the gov’t... there are legal ways to build/change your own gov’t: voting or running. Or fucking off to somewhere else.
As usual, missing the fucking point.

At this point I have to question if it's stupidity or are you purposely being obtuse

Oct 15, 2019
New York
You dont seem to realize each of those panels is an actual escalation that happened. Wanting a completely free speech oriented platform after Twitter began banning people along partisan lines, people created Gab. Opponents went after Gab by targeting every payment processor they could think of, and got them banned across the board. PayPal, Mastercard, Visa, Stripe, they all banned transactions with Gab. Mastercard even went as far as giving Gab's owner's whole family a lifetime ban. So people made Hatreon, a payment processor that would allow websites like Gab that couldn't do business otherwise due to "hatespeech" policies. So opponents went after Hatreon's registrars and got them taken offline. Every attempt at creating an impartial payment processor since has met with the same fate, and in cases where the registrars wouldnt ban them, the popular domain name servers like Google and Cloudflare would remove them, rendering them practically inaccessible.

The fact you think any politician will do anything is laughable. The Republicans who this targets don't have a spine and bend over backwards for that crisp corporate dollar, and the Democrats benefit so why would they rock the boat. The closest we got to a political figure who would do anything was Trump, and he was too retarded to actually know what the problem was. Someone told him Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act was to blame, but instead of looking into it and seeing Article C, "The Good Samaritan Clause", was to blame, he just pushed nuking the whole thing which would be disastrous. But even if he did hit the nail on the head, it would never pass congress without being littered with poison pills by jackasses paid off to do so.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
1984 is my favorite book. The fact that the right found out about it last year, but without actually read the book, and started calling things 'Orwellian' pisses me off to no end. Though the Dave Rubin video of him reviewing 1984 is pretty incredible, truly one of the stupidest people on earth.

The Left is the Ministry of Love.

Truth over facts. You ain't Black, Jack.

Reactions: NeoIkaruGAF

Falcs

Banned
May 5, 2011
Australia
As usual, missing the fucking point.

At this point I have to question if it's stupidity or are you purposely being obtuse
He's the first person I've ever put on ignore now.

I just can't deal with such a high level of stupidity. It's not even worth the hassle to respond to his ridiculous takes.

I also don't like the fact he snuck his way over here from ResetEra around the time of election day.

MastaKiiLA

Jun 11, 2020
And who decides who is a toxic element. People like you? The type of people who call anyone they disagree with a nazi?

"Oh it's a private company"

Ahh yes of course. progressives love to become libertrarians when they see a chance to censor someone. Since they are a private company, they are immune to criticism. Please, go back to "progressively" licking this corporation's boot.
The very rights you think the poster is entitled to, you don't want to extend to the platform holder.

Who determined what is toxic? Clearly public opinion, as this publisher obviously doesn't want to be associated with someone they now believes has a negative stigma. They might also think it will hurt book sales.

Terms and conditions. Contract clauses. It's all the same principle. If you have wording in an agreement, to protect yourself, it's your right to exercise that protection. This is how the world works, liberal, moderate, and conservative.

Progressives isn't the issue. This is adult thinking versus childish thinking. A child whines about not getting what they want. An adult understands that there are limitations and rules. I wouldn't go into an Xbox thread and promote Playstation, then claim the mods are censoring me. I understand that there are rules. I've lost a job because something in the public record from my early 20s was viewed by my employer as potentially detrimental to their image with their clients. It wasn't their fault, it was mine. Growing up is hard to do, but at some point, you need to take personal ownership for your actions. Isn't that what conservatives are supposed to pride themselves on? Why all this immature whining?

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008
Their reasoning for refusing to publish his book is more reasonable than the reason Hawley objected to the election certification.
Yeah.

I don’t see the outrage. The man who mentored Hawley and groomed him for AG and Senator, a Republican, literally said:
“I thought he was special. And I did my best to encourage people to support him both for attorney general and later the U.S. Senate and it was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made in my life,” he said Thursday. “I don’t know if he was always like this and good at covering it up or if it happened. I just don’t know.”

S&S distancing themselves from him isn’t an attempt by Big T to silence conservative voices. Hawley fucked up trying to position himself for 2024. Now he’s facing consequences.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: BouncyFrag and Sign

sazzy

Dec 30, 2006
He's welcome to release the pdf form for free, in service to his country, his party, and his beliefs.

B-universe

Banned
Mar 23, 2020
Yeah.

I don’t see the outrage. The man who mentored Hawley and groomed him for AG and Senator, a Republican, literally said:
“I thought he was special. And I did my best to encourage people to support him both for attorney general and later the U.S. Senate and it was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made in my life,” he said Thursday. “I don’t know if he was always like this and good at covering it up or if it happened. I just don’t know.”

S&S distancing themselves from him isn’t an attempt by Big T to silence conservative voices. Hawley fucked up trying to position himself for 2024. Now he’s facing consequences.

So you'll be fine if your company decides to fire you for what they possibly might see as a lamentable post history on GAF?

It's a yes or no question.

I just want to press you to check for internal consistency. And, to be clear, as long as contractual obligations are met, companies and employees should be able to terminate their relationship when they see fit.

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
Everyone has a right to hear their voice heard. No one has the right to get paid for it.

He can easily find another publisher, or release the book himself self published.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
The very rights you think the poster is entitled to, you don't want to extend to the platform holder.

Who determined what is toxic? Clearly public opinion, as this publisher obviously doesn't want to be associated with someone they now believes has a negative stigma. They might also think it will hurt book sales.

Terms and conditions. Contract clauses. It's all the same principle. If you have wording in an agreement, to protect yourself, it's your right to exercise that protection. This is how the world works, liberal, moderate, and conservative.

Progressives isn't the issue. This is adult thinking versus childish thinking. A child whines about not getting what they want. An adult understands that there are limitations and rules. I wouldn't go into an Xbox thread and promote Playstation, then claim the mods are censoring me. I understand that there are rules. I've lost a job because something in the public record from my early 20s was viewed by my employer as potentially detrimental to their image with their clients. It wasn't their fault, it was mine. Growing up is hard to do, but at some point, you need to take personal ownership for your actions. Isn't that what conservatives are supposed to pride themselves on? Why all this immature whining?
Quote where I said they didn't have the right to do what they did?

As usual, you ignore anything I said and argue against a stupid strawman. If the argument is they are doing this for public image, fine but what will the excuse be next time? Was that the excuse when the New York Times refused to Send. Cotton?

It just more normalizing of censoring opinions and people you don't like.