• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingaporeGAF |OT| Home to Olympic gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

15654445_0.JPG

Alright boys and girls, we've been talking about this in some of the last few Singapore-related threads to pop up in the OT and I thought no time is better than now to create a SingaporeGAF thread. I know there are lots of Singaporeans in GAF so do come in and hang a little.

Anyway, I was really surprised to read about the SSF4 tournament at Evo being won by a Singaporean. I don't follow the FGC much and it's a pity I didn't realize a Singaporean was competing in the grand finals until I read about in the Straits Times today or else I would have livestreamed it. What an amazing feat. Truly, this guy deserves more support and recognition from the locals.

Naar

Xian is an awesome player and really improved in the last year. I am just happy that some of the seeding points of his came to Kuwait and they did not go to waste as almost all the Kuwaitis who wanted to go to EVO or got seeding to go to EVO got denied visas :(

Also a director friend of mine said that the most fun he had working on a movie/video was in Singapore

Qvoth

did xian ever play in bugis arcade?
maybe i'm not into the fgc there enough, but when sf4 came out i don't think i've ever seen him there

that was when i was still studying in sg though

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
did xian ever play in bugis arcade?
maybe i'm not into the fgc there enough, but when sf4 came out i don't think i've ever seen him there

that was when i was still studying in sg though

If you train 8 hours a day, can you really do so in an arcade? I'd imagine you have to play against other members of his team (professionals) rather than against nobodies in the arcade.

And he is the champion with Gen. Dammit, nobody expected that.

siddhu33

Visited around 2007. The place has massively changed since then. Remember the food and shopping being good.

Surprised this thread didnt come up sooner la.

Lol, why just a SingaporeGAF? Why not make it ASEAN-GAF?

Malaysia and Indonesia GAF need representation too lol.

Anyway, you lot have a great country. Still couldn't believe you could fit a proper F1 track in your tiny island state lol.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm Scottish, live in Taiwan, and I've always wanted to visit Singapore. Hell, I even thought about moving to Singapore as well.

Maybe a visit is in order next year.

I'm finding it ironic that most of the posts in this thread so far don't actually seem to be from Singaporeans.
Or maybe it's not actually ironic, considering the rising proportion of foreigners in the country.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Fun fact. Xian started using Gen during the latest iteration of the game. A lot of the combos and know how of Gen was actually created by a Gaffer, the most renown Gen player of the game's earlier times, Yeb. I think he still posts here but he doesn't really play the game anymore ever since he went to the Air Force. He does however root for his fellow Gen players whenever he can.

Saya

Lol, why just a SingaporeGAF? Why not make it ASEAN-GAF?

Malaysia and Indonesia GAF need representation too lol.

Anyway, you lot have a great country. Still couldn't believe you could fit a proper F1 track in your tiny island state lol.

Yes, yes Southeast Asia GAF.

I'm living in Jakarta, Indonesia at the moment.

I love going to Singapore every once in a while. Very convenient city with such great food, I love cheese prata and all the other indian food there.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Yes, yes Southeast Asia GAF.

I'm living in Jakarta, Indonesia at the moment.

I love going to Singapore every once in a while. Very convenient city with such great food, I love cheese prata and all the other indian food there.

I have prata every week. I agree it is awesome.

Gibbo

reporting in yo. there were a couple of fellow singaporeans in my Haze and Gordon Ramsey vs SG threads. time to come out of the woodwork gents!

This thread won't last a week with so little participants.

Exactly the reason why the scope of the thread should be broadened to include other segments of SE-Asian GAF.

A lot more participants that way, the thread stays active.

At least before it's inevitably moved to the Community section lol.

no way dude you're malaiyan? sweet.

Can us malaysians colonise these threads too or are you guys gonna insist you're a separate thread? D:

you'll have to drink newwater if it's the latter

*high fives Jintor*

Why not just make this SEAgaf. That way our Indonesian, Phillipines, Thailand bros can join the fun.

Well if you ever drink tap water here, you've already drank it.

Or food prepared here.

Heh, I doubt it, since the last time I visited was before the Government led initiative begun, over 11 years ago.

First plants were commisioned in 2002.

Love your mass rail transit system, still remember some of the station's names, like Novena, Jurong East etc.

Oh, and that fabulous looking Takashimaya building. I wonder if it's still around?

:D

xian stayed at my crib for a couple of days when he visited the philippines. he was still new with Gen and I honestly would not have predicted that he would eventually go on to win EVO based on how good he was when he was here. Fucking amazing how much better he has gotten.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Heh, I doubt it, since the last time I visited was before the Government led initiative begun, over 11 years ago.

First plants were commisioned in 2002.

Love your mass rail transit system, still remember some of the station's names, like Novena, Jurong East etc.

Oh, and that fabulous looking Takashimaya building. I wonder if it's still around? Yeah it is still around.

:D

Takashimaya looks famulous? That's the first time I've heard anybody say that.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
11 years ago man.

Imagine the shock he will have when he come now LOL

Takashimaya is still a good place though. I like the food court and kinokuniya. Especially so after borders went bankrupt. It has the only large bookstore in the Orchard Road stretch I think.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I went to Singapore for a 2 week vacation summeR of 2001. My dad was doing work over there for a few months so we got all sorts of stuff paid by his employer (apartment, food, some entertainment, ect)

I'll never forget places like suntec mall and orchard street as being from a smallish city those things were amazing to me at the time. Indoor snow slopes and the Singapore zoo were also pretty sweet. To this day I consider this my favorite vacation ever.

11 years ago man.

Imagine the shock he will have when he come now LOL

Yikes. It's hard to imagine that such a landmark would be neglected.

Takashimaya is still a good place though. I like the food court and kinokuniya. Especially so after borders went bankrupt. It has the only large bookstore in the Orchard Road stretch I think.

Ah, the memories.

Is it still predominantly a pedestrian only street with big sidewalks?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Ah, the memories.

Yea, but in that time they added some decorative installations on the sidewalks, and a lot of the malls now have a brand spanking new facade (Takashimaya is not one of them, it looks the same as it always had).

maomaoIYP

Yikes. It's hard to imagine that such a landmark would be neglected.

Ah, the memories.

It's not neglected, it's still a great place, I visit it every sunday. Just that there have been a lot more newer and shiner places since Takashimaya came about.

Yea, but in that time they added some decorative installations on the sidewalks, and a lot of the malls now have a brand spanking new facade (Takashimaya is not one of them, it looks the same as it always had).

It's not neglected, it's still a great place, I visit it every sunday. Just that there have been a lot more newer and shiner places since Takashimaya came about.

Ah, understood.

Would like to revisit the country one day.

ElyrionX

Whoa. When I created this thread yesterday there were zero replies. I thought it was dead in the water and I would have to do some "promoting" around GAF. Lol. Good stuff guys. I'm sure we can get enough Singaporeans to come out of the woodwork to hang in here.

I just found out that a friend of mine actually knows Xian personally because they used to work at the same local gaming cafe or something. Haha. It's really a small country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom