• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingaporeGAF |OT| Home to Olympic gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbo

anyway if raffles place / marina bay fc folks (or anyone for that matter) would like a drink after work one of these days, will be glad to organize one

faridmon

XIAN was awesome.

On an unrelated topic, My dad wants me to send me to Singapore to do my masters in Architecture. I am not sure since I don't know anything about the country. Should I take the offer?

My wife is from Singapore and I went to visit there April of last year. I really liked it there and was able to check out a lot of the city. Parts of Orchard Road, saw Battleship in the IMAX there. Stayed at MBS for a night to check out the Infinity Pool. Went to the Flyer, and saw L'arc en Ciel in concert there.

I'd love to go back sometime, I miss the food! Even the durians, haha!

Foolworm

My entire mother's side is from Singapore and I spent a good number of my formative years there. AMK Ave 10 represent! The new ITE campus looks mighty fancy too.

Orchard Road is completely different, only the Ngee Ann building still retains its original facade. I think Ion is overrated, but not much of a shopper anyhow.

Punkroses

Fellow Singaporean reporting in!

On a side note, there's a new shop called Versus City that's opening up in Yio Chu Kang Road soon. They will have retro consoles/arcade cabinets.. Apart from that, they also will be selling games. The best thing is, they are open till 1am.. which means they will be doing midnight launch in Singapore!

Gibbo

On a side note, there's a new shop called Versus City that's opening up in Yio Chu Kang Road soon. They will have retro consoles/arcade cabinets.. Apart from that, they also will be selling games. The best thing is, they are open till 1am.. which means they will be doing midnight launch in Singapore!

What? I haven't heard anything about this. Where is the location exactly? ( I live along YCK road)

Punkroses

What? I haven't heard anything about this. Where is the location exactly? ( I live along YCK road)

Here's the address, 48 Yio Chu Kang Road, Ang Mo Kio, Singapore 545559

It will only be opening this Saturday though. There's more info in their facebook page if you're interested.

Row

Banned
I'm in Korea now and would love to do a stint in Singapore but I don't have an advanced degree in an in-demand field so finding a job there seems unlikely.

pyros

Here's the address, 48 Yio Chu Kang Road, Ang Mo Kio, Singapore 545559

It will only be opening this Saturday though. There's more info in their facebook page if you're interested.

My brother's house is along YCK too, checked google map, yeah just after his place.

love Singapore. been there 7x now. have family in sing, JB, KL and Penang. awesome country and fantastic and friendly people. the women have great legs and short shorts too.

Is it true that everytime Malaysia buy a jet plan, Singapore buys two and that your motorways can be converted into runways if need be?

I liked singapore but it was quite funny hearing the things malasians think of singapore.

The whole needed ot have a full tank of petrol to leave cracked me up big time though.

pyros

Is it true that everytime Malaysia buy a jet plan, Singapore buys two and that your motorways can be converted into runways if need be?

I liked singapore but it was quite funny hearing the things malasians think of singapore.

The whole needed ot have a full tank of petrol to leave cracked me up big time though.

I'm not sure about the plane thing, but Singapore Airlines has one youngest fleets in the world, they sell off aircrafts older then six years,
and are constantly buying new ones. They implemented the full tank rule to stop people from buying cheaper fuel across the border.

So, what's some of the regular hang out spots for SG gaf? I tend to like more sedate places as I have grown older.

Myself, weekdays, Tomo Izakaya or Sauce at Esplanade mall, fridays, start at level 33, leave before the dinner crowd, rest of the night is at SaVanh in club st

I meant Fighter jets! Basically the people I stayed with said you guys have one of the most advanced armys in the world and that its all under ground due to lack of space. Was pretty intresting but it may have been rubbish as they had this idea that there is allways tension between malaysia and singapore as sing thinks malaysia will invade one day to get "their" land back

I will say randomly that I approve of the 500sing fine for durian on the trains though!

Honorary SG gaffer here; I married into a Singapore family and visit 1-2 times a year. The food is awesome, you can shop for games from both regions, and well, I love skipping Montreal winters...

Shame I can't digest Bakkwa anymore though...

pyros

I meant Fighter jets! Basically the people I stayed with said you guys have one of the most advanced armys in the world and that its all under ground due to lack of space. Was pretty intresting but it may have been rubbish as they had this idea that there is allways tension between malaysia and singapore as sing thinks malaysia will invade one day to get "their" land back

I will say randomly that I approve of the 500sing fine for durian on the trains though!

I personally think, Malaysians and Singaporeans get along very well, it's the old guard politicians who are still bitter about perceived past wrongs, who tend to stir up troubles, we just ignore them most of the time.

Honorary SG gaffer here; I married into a Singapore family and visit 1-2 times a year. The food is awesome, you can shop for games from both regions, and well, I love skipping Montreal winters...

Shame I can't digest Bakkwa anymore though...

Bak kwa is heavenly, why what happened?

Bak kwa is heavenly, why what happened?

Dyspepsia, among other things. Tastes amazing but is just brutally hard to digest.

(But I can no longer eat spicy food, which makes every SG trip that much harder...I miss you, hainanese chicken rice with hot sauce dip!!)

xk0sm0sx

This is very interesting. Singapore needs more retro game shops. (Which there isn't even any) Interested to see what they will have.

aznpxdd

Gonna be heading to Singapore end of 2014 to attend a week long class at National Uni of Singapore (an exchange program for my MBA class). Looking forward to finally seeing the city, would love to see how it differs/compares to Hong Kong and Shanghai.

jourdy

Will be going to Singapore this coming Sunday.
From 2008 to 2012 I used to go to Singapore once every 2 months.

Are there any new establishments/must-visit places?
I used to love visiting Funan Mall to browse for electronics, until I noticed the prices aren't necessarily lower compared to other places...

Is there any place in Singapore that sells laptop bags for 18.4"?

Gibbo

I used to love visiting Funan Mall to browse for electronics, until I noticed the prices aren't necessarily lower compared to other places...

Sim lim maybe? you have to do abit of research beforehand to avoid getting ripped off tho.

no new attractions since you last visited in 2012. although i suppose you can try the river cruise at the zoo or Gardens by the bay if you are into that kind of thing.

Gibbo

Got tickets to go late next month! Can't wait!

enjoy man!

one thing i cant stand these days is the photowhore culture in Singapore (or I suppose in most countries), where people have the need to take cellphone photos of everything and post them on their facebook. you see people stopping by and posing with anything phantom related..causing a huge human traffic jam post show.

enjoy man!

one thing i cant stand these days is the photowhore culture in Singapore (or I suppose in most countries), where people have the need to take cellphone photos of everything and post them on their facebook. you see people stopping by and posing with anything phantom related..causing a huge human traffic jam post show.

That phenomena is seen across the region from my travels. Lol.

Is Xian the most famous Singaporean in the world?

Lol hardly, and only amongst gamers.

I'd argue LKY is the most famous/infamous Singaporean of all time in general terms. Fellow is still alive too, having outlived all his contemporaries with the exception of Dr M lol.

(if you don't even know what those initials stand for, you're not Singaporean or Malaysian lol)

What a man, without his iron fist you lot wouldn't be half as known as you are right now.

SingaporeGAF, tell the rest of GAF how you feel about the benevolent old man who raised your state from just a tiny offshoot of Malaysia to being the most developed and richest nation in that region.

ElyrionX

anyway if raffles place / marina bay fc folks (or anyone for that matter) would like a drink after work one of these days, will be glad to organize one

Sounds good.

So, what's some of the regular hang out spots for SG gaf? I tend to like more sedate places as I have grown older.

Myself, weekdays, Tomo Izakaya or Sauce at Esplanade mall, fridays, start at level 33, leave before the dinner crowd, rest of the night is at SaVanh in club st

Level 33 is the Stanchart watering hole at MBFC right?

As for hang out spots, the places I go to when I do want to drink are not exactly sedate lol; usually I'd be at places like Winebar or Mink on Friday nights when hanging out with friends. If I want a quiet spot, the bars along Robertson Quay usually fit the bill. Been to 28 HongKong Street once last year and it was really nice too. It made you feel as if you're not in Singapore.

ElyrionX

If you're a gamer, the arcade at Bugis Junction is worth checking out.

If you are looking for PC games or PC parts (motherboards, graphics cards, etc), Sim Lim Square is good. I would recommend this shop called Fuwell on the fourth floor for PC parts.

If you are looking for consumer electronics and game consoles, NEVER EVER go to Sim Lim Square or Lucky Plaza. Those shops there are known to rip off tourists.

I was in Singapore start of this year after a 2 week trip in India. It was a nice way for me and my girlfriend to detox from non-stop Indian food and living conditions before heading back to Australia.

I bought my laptop from Funan IT Mall about 2 years ago. I would recommend that place for laptops only.

I also saw tigers at the Night Safari (Singapore Zoo) which is something I ironically couldn't manage to see in the Indian countryside.

Played some Street Fighter at some small arcade at the top of a mall next to the cinemas. I don't remember the mall. Singapore has too many of them.

I'd love to live in Singapore one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom