• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Siren - New Translation announced for PS3

soul

from today's Famitsu issue. two scans so far.

- Game is a PS3 exclusive.
- 90% done.
- Price undetermined.
- July 24 release date in Japan.
- April 24 demo will be released.
- total of 12 episodes.
- Remake of the first.
- lots and lots of dead people ;o

Official website incoming: http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/nt/
-- thanks Orobi

edit -- just noticed it was posted at the Sony.jp thread, sorry guys.

BeeDog

Of course it's a PS3 exclusive, it's done by Sony themselves.

Anyways, "price undetermined" and "total of 12 episodes"... does that mean this will be some episodic game like Sam & Max, or does it mean something else? (don't know how the previous games were structured)

Wollan

You played dozens of different people in dozens of different chapters in the previous games.
The plot was quite deep and you would need to see the context of it all.

I can't wait to see the presentation in this one. Scary stuff.

Orobi

Other info from Jeuxvideo:

Famitsu has just sold the wick about the arrival of Forbidden Siren on PS3. Siren heading: New Translation, the title would be a remake of the first episode. A more official advertisement and especially more detailed concerning this survival-horror should come up from here a few days.

Why the hell does the original need a remake? It's not that old and it's perfectly playable.

Well, if this sells well maybe we'll see a remake of Siren 2 in the US.

Wollan

Night_Trekker said:
Why the hell does the original need a remake? It's not that old and it's perfectly playable.
The game was problematic at release. Extreme patience required.
Supposedly Siren 2 was pretty swell though and a huge improvement.

SolidSnakex said:
Because it's one of the few games that kicks your ass really hard due to its unforgiving difficulty.

I actually enjoyed the difficulty during my playthrough.

Oh well. If more people get to enjoy Siren, that's a good thing.

Aske

Night_Trekker said:

Well, if this sells well maybe we'll see a remake of Siren 2 in the US.

I loved the idea of the first game, but in practice I found the mechanics to be too clumsy. I just couldn't enjoy it, and the horrible voice acting ruined the atmosphere which was the game's greatest strength.

New voice acting and tighter gameplay would make this a phenomenal remake. Really looking forward to it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Night_Trekker said:
I can't say I agree. To me it was a bit frustratingly unplayable. I mean, I could have persisted and pushed forward, but after about an hour in, I didn't feel it was worth it. The game didn't seem fun or good enough to warrant the level of frustrating difficulty it had.

I'm not sure what exactly I'd want them to change for this remake, but it better not be just graphics and sound.

Wollan

SolidSnakex said:
Well for starters the characters don't seem to be Japanese anymore.
Sure? That was my first impression but I took a closer look. Most of them at least look Japanese.
Some of them could be like exchange students from the west..etc (like the US The Grudge remake).

Wollan said:
Sure? That was my first impression but I took a closer look. Most of them at least look Japanese.
Some of them could be like exchange students from the west..etc (like the US The Grudge remake).

Possibly, but the cast has definitely changed. And that would explain why the people in that teaser site are speaking in English.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
90 fucking %? Holy crap. Can't wait :D

jiggle

What is up with such late announcement. Maybe they'll drop a pleasant bomb later with Trico at 90% also.

Saw the photo, the sunset picture looks nice. How scary was the original game? I've never played.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SolidSnakex said:
Well for starters the characters don't seem to be Japanese anymore.
Now that you mentioned it - I know what I want them to change. Have the damn English subtitles on an original Japanese voiceovers.

I'm the last person to cry for original Japanese VA in games, but hearing Japanese people talk British English in a Japanese village was extremely ridiculous.

le.phat

siren has a very creepy and unnerving setting, can't wait to see what its going to look and sound like in HD™ ;0

Busty

Banned
Looks great (even from the small pics...) and owing to the leaked PSN release list and the talk of 12 'chapters' this sounds like it could be Sony's first attempt at an episodic, download game.

It all sounds really interesting and with the twelve characters, with each presumably having their own chapter or episode, seems like a good format for it.

But one thing I would say is this. If this is indeed a remake of the first game. Are you seriously telling me that this is what Team Siren have been working on for the last 2 or 3 years?

A remake, albeit a really pretty one?

I'm hoping that Team Siren have been using this as a test bed for their engine and new tech and are busy (like alot of other Sony first and second party developers) on another side project for perhaps next year, either a sequel or a new IP for the PS3.

Because if this has been Team Siren's main (and sole) project for the last few years then SCEJ really have been phoning it in more than we thought.

Busty said:
But one thing I would say is this. If this is indeed a remake of the first game. Are you seriously telling me that this is what Team Siren have been working on for the last 2 or 3 years?

A remake, albeit a really pretty one?

This seems to be a remake on the same level as REmake, so it's not something that's going to be done quickly.

Busty

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
This seems to be a remake on the same level as REmake, so it's not something that's going to be done quickly.

I totally agree, in fact when I saw the scans the first thing I thought of was Resident Evil Zero in the art style and atmosphere....albeit the pics were tiny.

But my point remains. While I don't doubt that time, effort and money have gone into this project (and that's evident in the pics) it still screams middle of the road experiment.

I mean, come on, imagine being in that pitch meeting. "How about remaking you team's first game for episodic release on PSN..."

While the method of distribution is new and quite daring and the project as a whole is likely going to be good and very atmospheric (out and out HD horror :D) it still seems stale and lacking somehow.

With all the talk swirling around of Team Ico developing two projects side by side, I can imagine the same being true for Team Siren. With rumours Team Ico are developing a PSN game that's somehow a spin off of SOTC (some even suggesting an HD, multi player remake) alongside their 'AAA' disc based game...
TRICO....:p
I can imagine this being Team Siren's PSN project while they ready a larger disc based sequel or new IP using they used on the PSN remake.

However, if that's not the case, then it does seem to reflect SCEJ's general apathy towards larger PS3 projects. Beyond the 'bread and butter' franchises like GT5 and hopefully whatever Team Ico are cooking up.

But in saying that, the game does look like it will at least use the PS3's power to deliver an enjoyable game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's like SCEJ PR forgets they have games in development.

"Oh, that Siren game..what..you're nearly done? Ooops! Where's that Famitsu editor's number.."

Anyways, is this PSN or Disc or both? That leaked schedule seemed to suggest a PSN release, unless that was just the demo..

Ceb

Wollan said:

This.

A Siren remake is just packed with potential. Really can't wait to see how it turns out - luckily we won't have to wait a long time!

Busty said:
But my point remains. While I don't doubt that time, effort and money have gone into this project (and that's evident in the pics) it still screams middle of the road experiment.

I mean, come on, imagine being in that pitch meeting. "How about remaking you team's first game for episodic release on PSN..."

I think this is largely an experiment. Siren has been successful in Japan but hasn't done anything outside of there. With it being released through PSN in episodic form and having a revamped cast that will appeal more to Western audiences it has a chance of possibly becoming a success on some level here and throughout Europe. If that happens then they might get a green light to do a completely new BR based game.

Yoboman

I hope the episodes are released in a timely fashion, e.g. once every week/fortnight or something. Could be the first true episodic game

Zylander

Team Siren strike me as being absolute perfectionists so I'm not surprised they are re-making the first game as it was an extremely ambitious project hamstrung by time limits, it's own complexity, and the limitations of the PS2. Now the same team is getting the chance to really refine this game, it should be very polished and extremely interesting. Also they get to really concentrate on the technical side of working with the new engine, hopefully they will lay the groundwork that will segue into the next original game.

Bildi

A remake sounds like a great idea. I loved the premise of the game but tended to play it in a very trial-and-error manner and so didn't get very far.

Kuran

Banned
My head is going to EXPLODE next week.

GTAIV, Metal Gear Online beta, Siren PS3 demo? I must quit my job!

Top Bottom