• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Size Mattters (XB1 vs PS4)

panty

Seems accurate, good job.

TtrF3er.jpg

ibu9O8TCjmuqLj.png

There's the drive slot.

High-res http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/9011342661/

Doesn't GDDR5 use less power draw, therefore it can run cooler? Might be another reason they can make it so small.

B3D said it is hotter then ddr3.

So im impressed with sony if they dont have a ylod for ps4.
Because microsoft is having heating issues and a big box.

Odrion

Banned
I sure hope that I won't have problems fitting third party devices into those usb slots.

I don't know why I'd ever need to, but it sure is a pain when it happens with my PC.

Orayn

Nib, what feature did you use to make these scaled photos? If people are arguing about the disc drives, you should pick something like a USB port to be absolutely sure.

Kazerei

Banned
Now I understand why that image doesn't make sense to me. It's smaller in volumne and in width, but the PS4 is longer than wide.

n3bWtwW.gif

Ahh, this is what I thought. The bottom half of this image shows the XBO is taller and wider. But the top half shows the PS4 is longer.

Basically the PS3/360/XBO/PS4 is as flattering to the PS4 as possible :)

LeleSocho

Banned
HjoiTCy.jpg

I've added the wiiu too using the width of the disc slot as a parameter of the scaling, it might not be perfect but it's not too distant from the truth

That's what Nintendo got for using the shamefully old 45nm production a console that technically is a gen behind for a size that's barely smaller than the most powerful one that crushes it power wise.

Crisco

Banned
I mean, it was probably more a conscience decision for MS than anything else. They wanted a quiet, nondescript design that fit in with set top boxes from cable and satellite companies. They could have made it smaller, but why bother, their target audience isn't going to be putting it in their dorms/bedrooms.

Hated the PS3 designs. Loved the Xbox 360 designs.
Funny how it's exactly the opposite now. PS4 is one of my all-time favorite console designs. Comparatively small and oh so slick.

Ploid 3.0

From the other views, it seems the PS4's length is more than its height, so the comparison image really puts the PS4 in the best light. But the PS4's planform area is still smaller than Xbone's, and it's not as wide.

9012525808_a620c291bd_z.jpg

As someone mentioned in another thread, it's a good idea to have it deeper than wide. On a shelf usually you have limited width space but extra deepness* space. The only thing you'd be competing with back there is cords or on a small skinny shelf it's probably best not to put a console on it, and you can just stand it up and turn it sideways probably (still wouldn't be as long as XB1). WiiU is deep too, maybe the Japan devs realize shorter but deep is just better for shelf space.

i-Lo

Even though the PS4 is longer, overall, it's far more aesthetically pleasing to eye for many here. It looks something out of the future (well it kind of is). And the Xbone in comparison looks as industrious as ever.

Had I never seen the PS4, the Xbone design would have grown on me.

GhaleonEB

I wonder if the size of the Xbox One is indicative of it being rushed. Like, they didn't have time to design it for a smaller case, said screw it, and just made it huge.

I had that thought as well. The Xbox One - on shape as well as seeing the innards - looks like a desktop PC. Not really a lot of engineering behind the form factor.

Alebrije

PS4 longer but it seems will include the POWER UNIT inside , and the XB ONE will have a brick.

PS4 seems a product that has been planed with the japanese minimalism touch.

Avinexus

I can't be the only one who doesn't care how big these things are. I'm just going to put them on a shelf and never think about them again no matter how big they are.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
There's got to be a catch to the PS4 design. I mean, it's more powerful than the X1 and has an internal PSU, yet it's considerably smaller. I don't understand.

Killah

It's nice that its smaller than the Xbone but major concern right now is if it will be hot and will it be loud?

The PS3 fat was so loud when it started up and or whenever the fans kicked in. I'm hoping this isn't the case with the PS4.

If the scale is right that is pretty incredible. I would very much like to see the inside of that thing.

The scale is probably completely accurate because the volume difference is massive:

PS4 - 27.5x30.5x5.3cm = 4445 cm2

Xbox One - 34.3x26.3x8cm = 7217 cm2

Edit: woops, cubic of course.

m.i.s.

Banned
PS4 longer but it seems will include the POWER UNIT inside , and the XB ONE will have a brick.

PS4 seems a product that has been planed with the japanese minimalism touch.

Talking of Japan, I hope the PS4 can keep the console flame alive in the land of the rising sun. It'd be a shame if all consoles tanked there.

Alebrije

The scale is probably completely accurate because the volume difference is massive:

PS4 - 27.5x30.5x5.3cm = 4445 cm2

Xbox One - 34.3x26.3x8cm = 7217 cm2

Yep , and also the Kinetik seems bigger than current , it will be a problem for some people to find a place to put it...

Ashes

Banned
Nib, what feature did you use to make these scaled photos? If people are arguing about the disc drives, you should pick something like a USB port to be absolutely sure.

I remember someone in the Xbox one reveal thread did that. They measured usb, and I went off the size of the controller. They were 5 to 6 cm off, and I was 1 cm off.

watership

You literally can't even tell that that is where the PS4 disc is supposed to go...

To be honest, this is no surprise to me. Microsoft is primarily a Software company - not a Hardware company - and they don't even do that particularly well.

The 360 skews the truth I think. Other than the Xbox 360 first model's failure rate, Microsoft has a pretty damn great track record on hardware, both design and function. Well not the first Xbox's design. Ugh. I never liked that. But the surface, arc mouse, natural keyboard, going back to old Sidewinder joypads and god tier Force Feedback Sidewinder Pro.. all awesome.

Orayn

Alright, here's my attempt at a to-scale picture, based on the size of the HDMI ports. Xbone picture was perspective cropped from a shot someone took of the box, since I can't find an official high res picture of the back.

Izick

There's got to be a catch to the PS4 design. I mean, it's more powerful than the X1 and has an internal PSU, yet it's considerably smaller. I don't understand.

As long as it doesn't overheat and we run into another RROD issue, then it's just a beautifully designed box. Smaller, more powerful, and an internal power source. My only concerns besides heating would be how quiet it is.

Rashid

Banned
Come on guys I thought everyone would've sussed it by now. The xbone is made purposely huge, it has vast amounts of empty space inside. It has a banana to check for the 1 year warranty, and so to prevent the smell getting out as it ripens and rots thy have a big ass fan.

In 18 months when the xbone slim comes out, MS can then make it much smaller by cutting down the empty space and then even smaller from making the parts smaller. Then they can say "GUYS LOOK THE NEW XBONE SLIM IS NOW 4X SMALLER" and people will buy it in droves.

Top Bottom