• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skate outsells Tony Hawk 2:1

Ten-Song

Evander said:
flicking sticks in order to jump is flailing, as far as I'm concerned.

I ABSOLUTLEY hated it

Um, I don't have any problems going from simple ollies to the advanced kickflips, and I don't "flail" my thumb to do it, as I have a good feel for what does what, depending on where my feet are on the board.

nofi said:
Oh, I liked the controls, I thought they were cool, and intuitive. Sadly, I'd have liked more than about 8 tricks, too.

You ever see how many tricks there were in the trick book? It's a lot more than 8.

nofi

Ten-Song said:
You ever see how many tricks there were in the trick book? It's a lot more than 8.

I was exaggerating. There's only a few grab tricks though, right? And no flatland stuff beyond a manual?

Ten-Song said:
Only thing the revert did in Tony Hawk games was give way to the death of the skating aspect, and the rise of the never ending fourty hojillion point combos.
I could've sworn that was the flatland tricks that did that.

EDIT: you really gotta wonder, though, exactly how well DID skate. do? Sure it got 165k it's first month on 360, but after that the game just disappeared. And really, giving the game away to Rock Band players isn't exactly a vote of confidence in the game.

And considering that skate. probably didn't do all that well, that probably means that Proving Ground was a colossal failure.

Evander

"industry expert"
Ten-Song said:
Um, I don't have any problems going from simple ollies to the advanced kickflips, and I don't "flail" my thumb to do it, as I have a good feel for what does what, depending on where my feet are on the board.

Are you implying I should hire you to play my games for me?

I don't care what YOU don't have problems with.

Chinomen

Ten-Song said:

true dat. i guess the 8 that nofi was talking about must have been the basic tricks. cuz the more advanced ones require some practice flicking and twirling the joystick to 3 different points and what not.

Ten-Song

nofi said:
I was exaggerating. There's only a few grab tricks though, right? And no flatland stuff beyond a manual?

There's a lot of grabs, but they're pretty challenging to pull off. Yeah, the flatlands suck though.

I AM JOHN! said:
I could've sworn that was the flatland tricks that did that.

Eh, either way, once the series drifted into that realm where the actual skateboarding aspect seemed pointless, I lost interest, as it wasn't about creativity, but just trying to go along a scripted line and keep up one combo through a series of button presses.

Evander said:
Are you implying I should hire you to play my games for me?

I don't care what YOU don't have problems with.

Uh, no, just saying that the “flickit” system actually takes quite a bit of finesse, and unless you’re into skateboarding enough to master it, the game will never be that appealing.

nofi

Ten-Song said:
There's a lot of grabs, but they're pretty challenging to pull off. Yeah, the flatlands suck though.

Skate 2 will be brilliant though, I know it.

TheGreatDave said:
I just want a Tony Hawks 2 XBLA game.

Me too. Well, PSN as I no longer have a 360, but you ge tthe idea.

Chinomen

Ten-Song said:
Eh, either way, once the series drifted into that realm where the actual skateboarding aspect seemed pointless, I lost interest, as it wasn't about creativity, but just trying to go along a scripted line and keep up one combo through a series of button presses.

that, my friend, is what skateboarding games are all about.

Sean

Banned
The THPS series has really lost its way, and this is coming from a big fan.

Neversoft just continues to add tons of shit that no one wants. The rigger crap in Proving Ground for example.... no one wants to build their own ramps and whatnot, they just wanna skate. All the cutscenes and story elements too are annoying and just distract from the skating aspect.

It's lost its charm too, remember skating in Area 51 and stuff? Yeah, let's have more of that please.. Now we are skating in grungy brown "realistic"-looking cities.

Tideas

Banned
AppleMIX said:
You know what, I'm probably going to get flamed for this...

GO EA!

Seriously, they've been on the ball this generation.

Madden 08 PS3
NCAA 08
Need for Speed: Pro Street

Should I continue? Or do you wish to revise that statement?

Evander

"industry expert"
Ten-Song said:
Uh, no, just saying that the “flickit” system actually takes quite a bit of finesse, and unless you’re into skateboarding enough to master it, the game will never be that appealing.

Which is, essentially, my point about why I hated the game.

There is such a thing as being "too realistic" it is the point where it simply stops being fun anymore.

Ten-Song

Evander said:

There is such a thing as being "too realistic" it is the point where it simply stops being fun anymore.

Unless (like me) you're really interested in the world of skateboarding and how it works, then a game that properly simulates the sport is awesome.

Seems to me like a Madden vs. Blitz type issue (best example I can think of). The hardcore will flock to skate because it's far more realistic and sim like, while others that want more of a pure "game" will take up Tony Hawk instead, as it's more instantly rewarding and accessible.

nofi

Sean said:
It's lost its charm too, remember skating in Area 51 and stuff? Yeah, let's have more of that please.. Now we are skating in grungy brown "realistic"-looking cities.

Tony Hawk X should be:

1. Selectable controls, from the basic trick n' grind of THPS2 to the revert and flat-land stuff on THPS4, with THPS3 inbetween but the option to walk if needed. No nail-a-bollocks.

2. Timed, 2 minute levels ONLY. No story, no skating to people to get goals.

3. The following levels: Warehouse, Burnside, School II, Venice Beach (best level ever), Skatestreet, Skate Heaven, Canada, Airport, Skater Island, San Francisco, Kona, Australia.

That's it. Do it, Neversoft.

Evander

"industry expert"
Ten-Song said:
Unless (like me) you're really interested in the world of skateboarding and how it works, then a game that properly simulates the sport is awesome.

Seems to me like a Madden vs. Blitz type issue (best example I can think of). The hardcore will flock to skate because it's far more realistic and sim like, while others that want more of a pure "game" will take up Tony Hawk instead, as it's more instantly rewarding and accessible.

what does "hardcore" mean here?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
SolidSnakex said:
vfxufr.gif

:lol

Good job GHIII sold for them, although I'm going to watch the numbers for 4 with great interest.

Neversoft, come back to our good graces with Gun 2 and let Hawk die.

Can't wait for Skate 2.

Steroyd

Chinomen said:
this better boost EA into making a Skate 2.

Does EA need boosting? :lol

That's got to hurt Activision they practically had the market to themselves for years and be established and EA pisses all over them in their first try.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Damn! Good work!

derder

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I need skate vs. THPS2 numbers.

Just a side note, Tony Hawks is very tight on his business deals- only a couple of years at a time. He can bail anytime he wants. If he doesn't believe in the product or thinks it's going downhill he can get rid of it. It's pretty apparent he hasn't any any involvement since the earlier titles.
How much weight you can put in this is kinda tough, because he has his own brand of shoes and clothes which all look kinda crappy.

Pimpwerx

Good, it deserves the sales. I still haven't bought it yet, but I will eventually. The demo alone beats most games. :D PEACE.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
this should only be a good thing for both franchises.

EA will want to keep their new belt, and activizzion should be training to take it back.

See what I did there? Activizzion? Get it? Activizzion.

Pimpwerx

Evander said:

Skate was made for skaters. As a former skater and snowboarder, I am totally in love with the control scheme and wonder why it never happened in any of the other boarding games out there. Skate has a good blend of realism and arcadishness. I hope for a snowboarding game from the same team. What they could do with powder physics on 'lanches in the back country. :D PEACE.

dankir

I didn't enjoy Proving Grounds very much at all. I gave it a 6.5 I think in my review. Skate is better in just about everything.

nofi

Pharmacy said:
shame they cant manage a decent fucking framerate in dat triple version

Yep, PS3 version stank, as I've said many times over.

Recycling old ground here, but I couldn't face playing Skate again. Whoever said it destroys THPS2 is on glue.

Visualante said:
I need skate vs. THPS2 numbers.

Just a side note, Tony Hawks is very tight on his business deals- only a couple of years at a time. He can bail anytime he wants. If he doesn't believe in the product or thinks it's going downhill he can get rid of it. It's pretty apparent he hasn't any any involvement since the earlier titles.
How much weight you can put in this is kinda tough, because he has his own brand of shoes and clothes which all look kinda crappy.

Tony Hawk's deal w/Activision is until 2015.
"because it's fuckin' fun man!"

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Yeah. I was quite disappointed with Proving Ground (on both PS3 and DS). I don't know if it's because i'm just tired of the franchise, or if it's because it's a lesser game than THPS2, 3 or Underground though.

It's giving me the same apathetic, stale vibes PES 2008 gave it's fanbase last year. Something tells me they both need to take a leaf out of EA's book. The effort those guys put into both FIFA 08 and Skate's game design really took me by surprise.

FF_VIII

Banned
Well, at least they're gonna put some effort into the next TH game so it should be good.

No longer the
only
best skate game around.

Sean

Banned
Visualante said:

Unfortunately that's not true (in this case at least). Tony signed a 13 year exclusive deal with Activison back in 2002 - he's stuck with them for seven more years (until 2015) whether he likes it or not.

Sean said:
Unfortunately that's not true (in this case at least). Tony signed a 13 year exclusive deal with Activison back in 2002 - he's stuck with them for seven more years (until 2015) whether he likes it or not.

Well on the plus side, when he goes home from talking about how amazing the new TH is he can always pop in the new skate and play it.

StranGER

I hope they do more with very skating. At least throw in some hand plants if nothing else.
A bonless would be Nice too

besada

Banned
Never thought I'd say this, being a THPS fanatic since the first game, but good for Skate. THPS deserves all the shit it gets. They've been cranking out sub-par shit since THPS3.

Skate was a beautiful revelation, even with its quirks and problems. I'm ready for Skate2.

CapoAheaz

skate was thee shit

skate 2 better have a lot more spots like the community center. after beating the game thats pretty much the only spot i skate. you can just flow for hours in that bitch.

voltron

HK-47 said:
Awesome

suck it down activision

IAWTP

Suck it suck it suck it suck it suck it down ActiBlission. Your game has sucked for at least 5 years and youre too fucking greedy to 1. Fix it and 2. Have a 2 yr break rather than a 1 year break.

Fuck you.

oh yeah, and go SKATE!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I am a little late to this thread but I have to say FUCK YEAH! Who would of thought that EA with an original twist and beat out the game that has basically doing the same thing year after year with just a few tweaks! :D

Top Bottom