• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skate outsells Tony Hawk 2:1

DMczaf

Needs its own thread!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51081

Impressively, according to EA, EA Black Box's newcomer franchise Skate (PS3, X360) bested established competitor Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS2, PS3, X360, Wii, NDS) by a considerable margin. "Despite the fact we launched on three fewer platforms," CFO Warren Jensen pointed out, "Skate outsold Tony Hawk 2 to 1."

fy01zb.jpg

AppleMIX

You know what, I'm probably going to get flamed for this...

GO EA!

Seriously, they've been on the ball this generation.

PhiLonius

Skate was pretty good and I think TH got boring after the first Underground. I was completely burnt out on that so Skate was something fresh.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Are we to take this with as much salt as EA's European HW sell through estimates?

sprocket

Banned
Skate was good but got really boring really fast. Not enough FOCUS in the game. A great start for new series though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
AppleMIX said:

GO EA!

They really haven't, but skate is a much better game than tony hawk, so go EA.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Q: Why do we talk about sales on gaf?
A: BECAUSE ITS FUCKING FUUUUUUUUN MAAAAAAAAAN!

Ten-Song

Gee, I wonder if this is because Skate is a far better game, and Tony Hawk rehashes were old four games ago?

AppleMIX said:
You know what, I'm going to get flamed for this... probably

GO EA!

I can't knock EA recently either, Rock Band has had the best downloadable content I've ever seen in a game.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Nice! It's great to see skate get the appreciation it truly deserves. It's by far the best skateboarding game ever made. It's still my favorite game for my 360. I still play it nearly every day.

cbodom

meh whatever

i still prefer thps 100000x more than skate
my hand hurts just thinking of picking skate up again

vg260

AppleMIX said:

GO EA!

Heh, except for EA Sports on the PS3.

But yeah, good for Activision to eat it on this one.

I have been pretty anti-EA, but I got more EA tittles this year than in the past 3-4 combined. Activision's getting way to cocky and arrogant, and Tony Hawk needed to be put down. No way for Activison them to spin this one positively.

theBishop

Banned
sprocket said:
Skate was good but got really boring really fast. Not enough FOCUS in the game. A great start for new series though.

This was one of the reasons i didn't buy it (see also: PS3 SKU framerate), but i'm really excited to see where they take it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
terrific news. skate was a killer fresh take on skateboarding. theres still plenty to improve and i cant wait to see whats in store for the sequel

Pachael

Sandman42 said:
Somehow EA has become the good guys, while Activision is the new EA. WTF?

Yeah, what happened here?

On the flip hand, I can see Activision putting out a PR that GH3 beat Rock Band in sales despite the cost difference etc. Anyway the former franchise is going to so get run into the ground like Tony Hawk.

SPEA

Fuck yeah! I lovvvvved skate.

Love the fact that gamers bought the superior game, instead of buying TH for the name alone. Makes me tingly inside.

Linkup

Father_Brain said:
See, Activision: this is where churning out annual sequels gets you. EA Sports games are the exception to this, not the rule.

EA Sports is the exception to churning out annual sequels?

Also did either of them appear on the NPD? or UK charts?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Linkup said:
I'm pretty sure he means that EA Sports yearly sequels don't continue to run each series into the ground making them worse than the last.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
The latest Tony Hawk was a load of irrepressible arse. So, yeah, this pretty much makes sense. Viva la good taste.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm very happy that they were able to have this level of success but I'll echo the (constructive) criticisms already posted: The controls ended up being pretty shallow (dare I say frustrating at times) and the framerate on the PS3 was horrendous. I also never got the skate.reel feature to work. Excellent concept, great first attempt, let's see them hit it out of the park next time

Chris R

purnoman3000 said:
I actually jumped up and cheered when I saw the thread title. Sad or awesome?
Awesome, as it means skate. 2

If they can fix the shitty frame issue, allow walking and other things, improve vert play, and make the city bigger, they should be able to corner the market.

Iksenpets

Banned
Linkup said:

Also did either of them appear on the NPD? or UK charts?

The 360 version of skate. came in at #5 in it's first month in September on the NPDs with 175K sold. TH never charted in NPD, as far as I know, and I don't know about the UK sales of either.

Linkup

Sounds like Proving Grounds was pretty bad. I didn't know, but it would still be nice to have some numbers.

175k isn't a bad start I guess.

Ten-Song

kenta said:
I'm very happy that they were able to have this level of success but I'll echo the (constructive) criticisms already posted: The controls ended up being pretty shallow (dare I say frustrating at times) and the framerate on the PS3 was horrendous. I also never got the skate.reel feature to work. Excellent concept, great first attempt, let's see them hit it out of the park next time

I still think with all the issues it has, Skate is still the best skating game to see the light of day since Tony Hawk 3. I DO want a sequel, but I want it to have a lot of care and attention put into it, not just some "old game +2 new things" Activision style bullshit. Skate has the ability to really become a super awesome franchise if it's not beaten into the ground.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
SolidSnakex said:
You don't know how big of an understatement this is.

Yeah, I don't make many threads on GAF, but playing THPG for review lead to a particularly furious one sometime last year. It's like they don't even bother listening to the criticism levelled at the game over the past SIX FUCKING YEARS. No one wants to play shitty action sequences. No one wants to chase Bam fucking Margera. He's not funny, and I don't want to hear him talk.

Seriously, fuck Tony Hawk.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Ten-Song said:
I still think with all the issues it has, Skate is still the best skating game to see the light of day since Tony Hawk 3. I DO want a sequel, but I want it to have a lot of care and attention put into it, not just some "old game +2 new things" Activision style bullshit. Skate has the ability to really become a super awesome franchise if it's not beaten into the ground.
Oh no doubt. Definitely wins awards for being progressive and innovative, but yeah we share similar sentiments on polish and depth

I hate what's happened to the Tony Hawk series. It's become so stupidly complicated and caught up in itself.

Proving Ground was next to unplayable.

alistairw said:
Yeah, I don't make many threads on GAF, but playing THPG for review lead to a particularly furious one sometime last year. It's like they don't even bother listening to the criticism levelled at the game over the past SIX FUCKING YEARS. No one wants to play shitty action sequences. No one wants to chase Bam fucking Margera. He's not funny, and I don't want to hear him talk.

:lol Exactly. I think TH really lost its way when they just started throwing everything in they could think of. Everyone wants new stuff in sequels, but don't add it in if it's not polished. It's amazing to think this is the series that people would once throw 10's at. They've just completely lost their way. The next game will be the 10th in the series, it'd be in their best interest to make it special. Do whatever it takes even if that means that *gasp*, there actually isn't one released this year. Series can be revived even if they've fallen this far. Look at Tomb Raider, of course with it what it took was for Eidos to take it away from the developer that created it.

alistairw said:
Seriously, fuck Tony Hawk.

He probably wants to be part of skate. 2 by now.

Top Bottom