• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue might be headed to XBLA/PSN

Good, those that do purchase SoA will have the memories refreshed on how horrible a game it truly was.

wtf_is_this_shit2_RE_73_Million_Sharks_Killed_Every_Year-s468x349-71815.jpg

The Dreamcast collection was done as cheaply as possible to see if there was a market for Dreamcast nostalgia. Daytona USA, Virtual On and Sonic CD have shown Sega that if they put the effort into making great ports for digital release that people will buy them.

So now we're getting proper budgets for HD Dreamcast ports. I had faith and it is being rewarded!

Now, that wasn't exactly confirmation of Shenmue and Skies, all he told us was what games the fans would be demanding next. And maybe they're working on them. It's a colossal tease, but man it makes me want to buy 1000 copies of Jet Set Radio to make sure they know that demand is there for proper ports of old school Dreamcast games.

YES!

Is it wrong for this to be more exciting than most modern new game announcements?

Digital preordering is the stupidest thing, but if I could give them my money now, I would.

I have 2 copies of skies just incase something happens to one of them. I love that game so much. I would pay what ever they want for it on XBLA.

"Hey! A winning can!"

*go into shop*
come on space harrier come on space harrier come on space harrier

"I'll take this one."
*get tails figurine*

Widescreen 60fps no slowdown with better balanced random encounters with the additional Legends content. But for goodness sakes don't give it the Sonic Adventure treatment. If it does happen may it be as solid as what JSR is shaping up to be.

HD Skies of Arcadia... The picture will be so good that I'll have to wear goggles when playing or Fina's pointy polygon tits will stab my eyes out...

A Shenmue I/II bundle would be nice.

I would almost be able to retire my Dreamcast but I still play Samba De Amigo 2000 with official maracas. The wii version just doesn't fill that void yet.

Coxy

legends content + dc sound quality + improved draw distance please, one of my favourite RPGs deserves it

Crub

I've heard Skies of Arcadia has a very slow battle system, and very frequent random encounters. Is this true?

Would love to givee it a shot, but I can't stand slow RPGs.

Furoba

"Hey! A winning can!"

*go into shop*
come on space harrier come on space harrier come on space harrier

"I'll take this one."
*get tails figurine*

"I should buy one..."
"Hey! "
"Maybe I should get another… "
"This is cool!"
"I should try again..."
"Huh?"
"I should try again..."
"Hmm I know this."
"This again?"

My true wish for the Shenmue series is that it might be played as it was intended. I.e. save file can be transferred to the next game. I imagine it would be really hard to put in a save system that an eventual Shenmue 3&4 could read from, though.

I'd love to play Skies again, but they better tune down the random encounter rate while on the ship. It was absolutely ridiculous in Legends. Using the PAR to turn them off was so nice.

So how playable would be they be to someone who hasn't any substantial previous experience with them?
Do they stand the test of time?

Skies is a pretty bog standard turn based JRPG combat role playing game. Its not modern, but its worth playing.

Still, like I said above, its the random encounters that are just painful after a while. Constantly dropping into battle was so annoying.

Amazingly though, in a dash of innovation, they actually had an assigned skip spell animation button in the legends version. I was floored at the time because the world of JRPGs back then was basically ruled by 20 minute Squaresoft casting animations that were unskippable.

I've heard Skies of Arcadia has a very slow battle system, and very frequent random encounters. Is this true?

Would love to givee it a shot, but I can't stand slow RPGs.

It's a little slow, but they reduced the encounter rate a good amount in the GC version

SoA Better have the Legends content and tweaks. (STFU, haters.)

I should be light-headed about the Shenmue news, but at this point I don't believe anything Shenmue-related until it happens.

This, I keep hearing a lot about Shenmue and am a huge fan of the Yakuza games, so they'd be doing the series justice by putting a lot more effort into the HD-ification...and to it's fans~

The person(s) who told you Yakuza and Shenmue are anything alike lied to you.

Never played Skies of Arcadia but I'm always ready for some jRPG. Even if it is a port. I'm that starved for home console fun.

Yager

Banned
YES!

Is it wrong for this to be more exciting than most modern new game announcements?

Digital preordering is the stupidest thing, but if I could give them my money now, I would.

Absolutetly not. You're totally right, and have reasons to be. This is amazing.

Added to the list of people who's opinions mean jack all to me.

To be fair, that game really wasn't very well structured. These glaring deficiencies were completely overshadowed by probably one of the most novel worlds ever put into an RPG and a story that actually worked pretty well. It also had a lot of cool epic moments that still bring back happy thoughts to a jaded old fuck like myself.

You know, at the very least they could replace the regular in-game Shenmue character models with the much more complex character models used in the Passport disc (for the character-guided tutorials... those were on the Passport disc, right?). It wouldn't affect but a handful of (major) characters, but it would look nice, and it wouldn't require much effort.

EDIT: Oh look at me assuming this news is legit! As a Shenmue fan, I should know better than to hope.

CPS2

SoA was the first rpg i played, i used a guide and my console broke before i got to the end, so i had to finish it at a friend's house while they kept saying "this isn't as good as ffx, you should play ffx" for hours on end. I'd play through it again just to have a proper run through. Played enough Shenmue by now tho, and i think its not going to hold up well at all. Too much loading, awkward transitions and menus constantly, and i think the combat is pretty horrible. If they did a complete remake from scratch or a proper sequel i might be interested.

thefro

It'd be great if they could port Skies of Arcadia Legends over and then reencode the audio to be the Dreamcast-quality versions of the songs.

They could do a Wii U downloadable release and put back in the VMU game too.

ultron87

Amazingly though, in a dash of innovation, they actually had an assigned skip spell animation button in the legends version. I was floored at the time because the world of JRPGs back then was basically ruled by 20 minute Squaresoft casting animations that were unskippable.

They did? Shit. That game could've gone way faster for me.

Or maybe I knew about that and made the conscious decision to just watch most of the animations for some reason. I dunno. It was awhile ago.

LaneDS

All about Skies HD (though I suspect it would look kind of fugly). Shenmue I feel like I still need to finish the second game, so if that makes it over to DD I might try that one out again; that game is likely too dated for me to enjoy though.

Here's hoping Shenmue would get the original Japanese VO because oh man the dub was terrible.

nHDR

Banned
PLEASE!!!! I would honestly buy a copy for both XBLA AND PSN if it means that Shenmue 3 might come out.

I can't wait for Shenmue to be ported. I'm so looking forward to shitty threads like, "Did anyone ever really think Shenmue looked good?" "LTTP: Shenmue (this is supposed to be a masterpiece?!)" "Can we admit Shenmue was only good because of its graphics?"

idk. tried to play SoA on GCN again recently. Visuals most definitely don't hold up, and encounter rate is still pretty awful.

If you're the kind of person who whines about the visuals in a 12-year-old game not "holding up," maybe you just shouldn't play older games. Just saying.

It'd be great if they could port Skies of Arcadia Legends over and then reencode the audio to be the Dreamcast-quality versions of the songs.

Yes! Best of both worlds.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh god 2 games I adore. Hate these HD milks though. Might get on Shenmue, it's been YEARS

Top Bottom