• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skipped out on bar tab, am I in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
I dunno, Blackace said many a charisma men have died overseas after they couldn't pay their tabs...
I would listen to the people with experience telling him to go with a group of people and pay them back.

I wouldn't want to live the next few months having it on the back of my mind.

This is like the best fucking topic I've ever read. This even takes the cake, when dude made a topic about sleeping with his sister. LMAO.

santouras said:
I think he meant in yakuza run bars in japan, not just "overseas"
He was applying his expertise to the topic at hand, so I can only assume he believes what happens in Japan goes on elsewhere in Asia otherwise i don't know why he brought it up.

if they caught you trying to sneak out they would probably rough you up and rob you.

but i know people who could be considered as figures in "organized crime" in my area, and i think it would be a bit of a stretch to say that they'd consider going through 'collections' for a $200 debt. criminals who would overly concern themselves with a bar tab are anything but 'organized'.
it would cost more than $200 to collect it and they stand to gain little by making an example of you because if they did rough you up, nobody would see it / hear about it.

it's still probably for the best to take as many precautions as possible and i thnk your first move is to call up your phone company and change the billing address to somewhere other than your place of residence.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Yea, it's only $200 but I've met guys who really flip out and take it personal, no matter how trivial the money is.

if i felt i was getting egregiously screwed over on a tab at a bar in which i saw a good chance to sneak out of, i would've done the same thing. fuck 'em.

Kinda like when a thread becomes a surprise gayming-age list, ITT we learn that NeoGAF is swarming with all manner of international gangstas with bonus lowdown on the behavior habits of hired heavies.

NeoGangAgeFamily represent fool

JavaMava

All I'm saying is if you got a face, it's not all that hard to find someone.

One of my older friends once broke into some guys shed and stole some weed plants. Who ever owned the place set up a camera to take a picture if it detected motion. My friend was still in high school at the time so we figure he must have asked some teenagers if they ever seen this guy, and 3 days later my buddy got a knock on his door.

The guy showed him the picture told him to go get his shit now. My friend did, the guy punched him in the gut and left.

Just some dumb rural bumfuck was able to track down my average white friend in a 99% average white community with nothing but a picture.

Now imagine how easy it will to find you. You're not exactly inconspicuous.

El Papa

Piece of advice: Don't fuck with gangster shit.

Go back to the place in the middle of the day and pay the tab, saying it will never happen again. Throwing in extra won't hurt, ditch the hooker and change your number after.

Fucking with gangster shit, no matter how small it may seem, can get your seriously hurt. Maybe not killed, but do you really want to take the chance?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The first thing I thought of when reading the OP was that thread a while back wondering how many GAFers have died over the years...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
JavaMava said:
All I'm saying is if you got a face, it's not all that hard to find someone.

One of my older friends once broke into some guys shed and stole some weed plants. Who ever owned the place set up a camera to take a picture if it detected motion. My friend was still in high school at the time so we figure he must have asked some teenagers if they ever seen this guy, and 3 days later my buddy got a knock on his door.

The guy showed him the picture told him to go get his shit now. My friend did, the guy punched him in the gut and left.

Just some dumb rural bumfuck was able to track down my average white friend in a 99% average white community with nothing but a picture.

Now imagine how easy it will to find you. You're not exactly inconspicuous.

That's why I never commit crime or do dumb shit where I live. 6'7", long black hair, Glaswegian accent - it wouldn't exactly take a rocket scientist to track me down.

And that "dumb rural bumfuck" was a straight up gangsta.

AkuMifune

Banned
An update of sorts.

This thread made me decide to man up, go back tonight on my own and pay my tab. I think everything will be fine if I do that.

But then I get a call from the chick again, who told me she just got fired from the club. She told me that it's her job to make sure guys pay their bills, and I was one of 3 people who left that night without paying. I told her I was going back tonight and she told me that would be stupid. She said they have no idea who I am and if i go back it's just trouble. She says I owe her for getting her fired, and to take her out this weekend instead.

Then I call the friend who was with me who tells me the same thing. I'm in the clear, but going back will just start trouble.

So here I am back at square one. I kinda want to go back and be done with it, but maybe that would be the dumb move and I would just make things worse.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
AkuMifune said:
An update of sorts.

This thread made me decide to man up, go back tonight on my own and pay my tab. I think everything will be fine if I do that.

But then I get a call from the chick again, who told me she just got fired from the club. She told me that it's her job to make sure guys pay their bills, and I was one of 3 people who left that night without paying. I told her I was going back tonight and she told me that would be stupid. She said they have no idea who I am and if i go back it's just trouble. She says I owe her for getting her fired, and to take her out this weekend instead.

Then I call the friend who was with me who tells me the same thing. I'm in the clear, but going back will just start trouble.

So here I am back at square one. I kinda want to go back and be done with it, but maybe that would be the dumb move and I would just make things worse.

akbar.jpg

JimiNutz

Banned
AkuMifune said:
An update of sorts.

Do not go fucking back.
Do not meet the stupid hooker.
Never ask GAF for advice regarding anything 'gangsta.'

JavaMava

AkuMifune said:
An update of sorts.

Go during the day if your going to go.

Doubt the girl got fired. Still a set up. If she did, then the date is still a setup, but from a different group (her and her real boyfriend/pimp?).

How/why does your friend think your in the clear. Is this his opinion, or has heard something?

itxaka

Defeatist
AkuMifune said:
An update of sorts.

ackbar.jpg

She is gonna mug you, hit you and then give you to the club owners to get her job back.

Well done my friend.

hteng

Banned
guys, this is 200 USD, which is 6000 NT in taiwan which is a considerable amount there. Pay the shit up before it hits the fan

cryptic

AkuMifune said:
An update of sorts.

I wouldn't trust this friend of yours, especially if he's a local.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
It's a trap I say

I say you go in there with a combat knife, flippers, and a quiver of arrows and fuckin rage on everybody. Then in the wake of a room full of dead gangsters slap 215 bucks on the table and say,

"Keep the change."

MrHicks

Banned
AkuMifune said:
An update of sorts.

how can going and paying be worse then not going at all?

AkuMifune said:
An update of sorts.

If she wasn't roughed up I wouldn't believe her story. If she is telling the truth though then she protected you for a reason. Did you tell her your blood type? She probably wants a kidney.

AkuMifune

Banned
Of course I'm not going to meet her, but if it was a trap, why wouldn't she want me going back tonight like I offered? Just to have time to set it up? That seems completely paranoid.

Fuck.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
230+ posts, and not one of you points out the fact that he gave some random hooker his number? Really?! I know the bar tab is the main show here, but no one mentions that exchanging digits with hookers is at least somewhat of a bad idea?

AkuMifune said:
Of course I'm not going to meet her, but if it was a trap, why wouldn't she want me going back tonight like I offered? Just to have time to set it up? That seems completely paranoid.

Fuck.

Its to make you think shes siding with you so you will be more likely to see her and wake up in a ice bath.

NewLib

Banned
AkuMifune said:

Fuck.

Here is what you do:

Meet this girl at a hotel room and quickly spike her drink. When she is out, get out your bag of previous shaved pubes and some glue. Glue the pubs on her back spelling "YOU'RE NEXT FUCKERS".

When they find her, they are either going to be scared of you or want to kill you. Either way, GAF gets an entertaining story.

Oh yeah, MS Paint it plz.

K.Jack said:
230+ posts, and not one of you points out the fact that he gave some random hooker his number? Really?! I know the bar tab is the main show here, but no one mentions that exchanging digits with hookers is at least somewhat of a bad idea?
eh, it happens.

post pics of the girl btw

JavaMava

MrHicks said:
how can going and paying be worse then not going at all?

Going and paying has a good chance of paying and getting your ass kicked.

Not paying at all assumes you move some where else/hope they can't find you and avoid the ass kicking.

I'm not familiar with the country, so ass kicking may very well involve broken thumbs, or a knife.

industrian

EverSoTrendy said:
This is like the best fucking topic I've ever read. This even takes the cake, when dude made a topic about sleeping with his sister. LMAO.

Off topic: I overlooked this post until now. Someone want to clue me in on this thread?

AkuMifune said:
Of course I'm not going to meet her

And miss out on all the fun?

JavaMava

AkuMifune said:

Fuck.

Because she's smarter than you and assumes your fucking lying to her to give you time to fuck off.

Now she's making you think she's no longer associated with those gangsters you owe money to, so you are more likely to meet her.

Yea, it's only $200 but I've met guys who really flip out and take it personal, no matter how trivial the money is.

I think it's almost less likely that you'll be pursued over $200 by organized crime than you would by some ass-hat with too much time on his hands.

I think theyd probably take matters into their own hands if they happened to pass by you, but the number of man hours required to collect from a guy who's name/address they dont know would far exceed $200.

Speaking to the girl is still obviously a horrible idea, because there's a good chance she still has loyalties to the bar owner and will be misleading you. If anything, i would use that contact as a way of potentially misleading them. I would tell the girl on the phone that I was flying out of the country in the next few days, so that if they are keeping tabs on you, they'd close the case so to speak.

industrian

JavaMava said:
I'm not familiar with the country, so ass kicking may very well involve broken thumbs, or a knife.

It's good he skipped out on a bar tab and not hooker fees. Otherwise it'd be something else that got broke.

JavaMava

McLesterolBeast said:
I think it's almost less likely that you'll be pursued over $200 by organized crime than you would by some ass-hat with too much time on his hands.

I think theyd probably take matters into their own hands if they happened to pass by you, but the number of man hours required to collect from a guy who's name/address they dont know would far exceed $200.

His buddy is probably a regular. You think it'd be hard to get one of the girls to ask him where that hot foreign guy's been? All the girls really liked him, plus the bar owner thinks he might have made a mistake on his tab. Tell him to come by!

Or the thing thats actually happening. "Hey prostitute number 023, that fool gave you his cell? Call him up and try and get a date".

Also I bet this hooker's got his name.

itxaka

Defeatist
JavaMava said:
His buddy is probably a regular. You think it'd be hard to get one of the girls to ask him where that hot foreign guy's been? All the girls really liked him, plus the bar owner thinks he might have made a mistake on his tab. Tell him to come by!

Or the thing thats actually happening. "Hey prostitute number 023, that fool gave you his cell? Call him up and try and get a date".

Also I bet this hooker's got his name.

:lol :lol He is fucked :lol :lol

AkuMifune

Banned
McLesterolBeast said:
I would tell the girl on the phone that I was flying out of the country in the next few days, so that if they are keeping tabs on you, they'd close the case so to speak.

I know I didn't earn any genius points for my actions in the thread, but the first thing I did was cancel my phone, buy a pre-paid phone, and then call her back and explain that she had accidentally put her number in my friends phone. I also said I wanted to pay back her boss before I left for China next week.

And I know I have no right to displace blame for this idiocy, but I blame my friend a bit too. When someone says they want to skip out on a bar tab at a place he doesn't know is run by gangsters, you don't say "ok", you say "pay it you dumb fuck, this place is run by gangsters".

JavaMava

AkuMifune said:
I know I didn't earn any genius points for my actions in the thread, but the first thing I did was cancel my phone, buy a pre-paid phone, and then call her back and explain that she had accidentally put her number in my friends phone. I also said I wanted to pay back her boss before I left for China next week.

And I know I have no right to displace blame for this idiocy, but I blame my friend a bit too. When someone says they want to skip out on a bar tab at a place he doesn't know is run by gangsters, you don't say "ok", you say "pay it you dumb fuck, this place is run by gangsters".

Hey, I think you did a good thing skipping out when you knew what you knew. The only funny thing was your first few posts seeming a little clueless.

Also your friend does sound like a dick. Where'd you meet him, how long have you known him, ect, ect, ect?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
AkuMifune said:
I live in Taiwan and on Friday I went to a shitty Filipino bar run by the local mafia. I played some pool, danced with some hookers, got really drunk and then asked for my bill which was an astounding $6,000 NT (a little over $200 US). This was highly inflated, and they were obviously trying to rip off the drunk foreigner (my local friend drank more and his bill was 1/3 of that). Rather than pay, I snuck out the back and into a cab, laughing all the way home about it.

When I woke up the next day, it wasn't so funny. Especially because I was getting calls from a hooker who works in the bar whom I had foolishly given my # to. I spoke to her briefly and she told me her boss is really mad, but she thinks I should just take her clubbing on Friday instead of paying them back. But she might be lying, or setting a trap, or she may have even given them my #...can they do anything with that?

Now that I'm sitting here stoned I'm really paranoid that a couple of Asian thugs will show up looking to break my legs or something. Am I really in trouble or just stoned & paranoid? Should I go back to pay my tab or would that just be asking for more trouble?

您丢脸了我们,您为饶恕将乞求在夜之前结束

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
EvaPlusMinus said:
您丢脸了我们,您为饶恕将乞求在夜之前结束
Translation: THE POST IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom