• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

SupaNaab

I'm really curious how Japan feels about Skullgirls, I know it debuted as a #1 downloadable title but did reviews fair well? Has a fan base emerged? The only thing I've really noticed is that many seem to absolutely adore Marie. I assume translating the fundraiser has results in some significant support. Seems like all fundraisers should consider translators.

20130228024643-DLC_Andy.png

And with this, we leave Lab Zero themed characters behind. Cerebella's troupe up next!

I'm really curious how Japan feels about Skullgirls, I know it debuted as a #1 downloadable title but did reviews fair well? Has a fan base emerged? The only thing I've really noticed is that many seem to absolutely adore Marie. I assume translating the fundraiser has results in some significant support. Seems like all fundraisers should consider translators.

Finding a lot of Japanese people online these days if that means anything. There's always been a pretty strong following for the game in Japan though, a LOT of the fan art for the game has come from them. If we want them to start getting excited about the game on a more competitive level then there'd be no better step than an arcade release of the game. Hopefully that ends up panning out.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-little-fighting-game-that-could/1100-4587/

Just read the giantbomb article and it was fantastic. I had zero expectations from the gaming media on the coverage of this fundraiser, but they've really stepped it up. It started with Kotaku, improved with Eurogamer/Siliconera and it's at a peak with this giantbomb article. People really ought to read it so they can understand how little they really know about game development's costs.
Apparently Cyberfront sold more copies in the first two weeks than they expected to sell over the lifetime of the game.
It beat a Metal Gear title in the downloadable space on it's second week and it two JP articles popped up following the fundraiser. I'd say Japan is very involved and passionate about the game. It'd tear the arcades right up, I think.

Ravi should tweet(don't know about translating that whole thing. It seems like a pain atm) them that giantbomb article. I bet they'd love that one. Someone would probably have it fully translated by the end of the day if Ravi doesn't have the time to do it himself.

And with this, we leave Lab Zero themed characters behind. Cerebella's troupe up next!
The two best rows coming up. We haven't seen as much of Cerebella's crowd and I'm looking forward to that. The next one is definitely going to be my favorite row. So many new faces to check out there. Hopefully the supporter and Booster tiers step their game up. Those are two really good tiers and having just fractions of those $30/50 people making the jump to a higher tier would make a huge difference in the fundraising numbers.

Ohnonono

I am going to assume contributing to this is the best way to say "Great work guys! Maybe port to Vita?" Love whats going on here in general though.

Kioshen

Another 20K goal met, another charcater reveal. Meet Brain Drain

20130227143826-DLC_BrainDrain.png

Mysterious head of the Anti-skullgirls lab, creator of Ileum, and PainWheel. With seemingly psychic based powers, with the ability to control the actions of painwheel during her story mode.

You know if that guy gets voted in they should put Q's move set on him (don't forget the taunt to boost defense too ...).

Owensboro

So... the PC release... When do we think it would be coming out? A Year (March 2014)? Less (Next week)? More (Please god no)?

I assume if we do the $30 tier to get the Steam Code you guys will get the money immediately instead of it being stuck in laywer hell?

Quackula

This looks like something I'd expect to see in clay fighter or something.

Is the plan to eventually include all of these characters in future sequels/dlc down the road?

Deques

So... the PC release... When do we think it would be coming out? A Year (March 2014)? Less (Next week)? More (Please god no)?

I assume if we do the $30 tier to get the Steam Code you guys will get the money immediately instead of it being stuck in laywer hell?

And will the dlcs be free for PC too when it's out? Or will they be part of the game?

Just read the thread on the excellent giantbomb article. Some of those posts made me want to cry like a baby.
And will the dlcs be free for PC too when it's out? Or will they be part of the game?
Free for everyone anyone who gets the DLC within the first three months of release(or whoever participates in the fundraiser right now too). After that three month period anyone who doesn't own a free DLC code will pay $5. The platform doesn't matter iirc. Free across the board.
This looks like something I'd expect to see in clay fighter or something.

Is the plan to eventually include all of these characters in future sequels/dlc down the road?
I love it tbh. Andy looks like something that only a kid could have come up with. A boxing Anvil? So American that it makes me want to salute my laptop when I see him. :p

Dilemma: Spend £12 for the PSN version of SG so I can do a stream on the latest version (I own the XBL version) to raise the campaign's visibility on Twitch, or just throw in a donation directly for Big Band by £12?

Quackula

I love it tbh. Andy looks like something that only a kid could have come up with. A boxing Anvil? So American that it makes me want to salute my laptop when I see him. :p

Never said I didn't like it! Just saying it reminds me of some of the crazy stuff from Clay Fighter.

7Th

It's pretty popular in Pixiv.

alstein

I believe it's schedled for late spring/early summer, though delays could happen.

so1337

Gave them 50 dollars. Haven't touched the game in a while but these people do such an incredible job in terms of art direction and animation that I just have to support them.

I wonder what the legal barriers are for a kickstarter like service where you fund but also buy points on project specific proceeds.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Any chance we could see a Leviathan Dota 2 Item on top of the TF2 Item? The only thing is that I don't know who the item would fit on. Maybe Undying?

Dueck

Banned
If one of the options involved a disc-based version of the game for PS3, I'd be happy to donate up to $200 for it.

Nevermind, I just got paid from the job I was let go from.

Not sure whether to be a socially responsible UK citizen and pay VAT... or grab it from the US PSN store and avoid all taxes.

Nyoro SF

Wow donators already scorched through the 400$ reward tier.

Hm.... it's imperative to keep the money flow going somehow. I look forward to the solution.

Johnz

Neo Member
Running out of..everything at half the money we need for big band.

Need around 20 times the amount we can currently obtain via the rewards that are left.

Ravidrath

Hey, so I accidentally created the worst thread on GAF?

Oops!

They like it, but it's hard getting the word out on a downloadable game. Famitsu and the other mags don't review them at all.

The few reviews I have seen have been very positive.

My favorite headline from one review is: "This isn't just another ero/guro/cute game! Play Skullgirls, the evolution of the 2D fighter!"

And we've been getting some coverage from indie game blogs and even Famitsu for the Indiegogo campaign. And, in fact, we've got an interview with Famitsu.com coming soon, too!

We've seen a lot of Japanese support on the Indiegogo, too. There are a number of Japanese comments on the campaign, and people have provided guides to checkout, etc. to make it easier for people to contribute.

Also, interestingly, someone translated the JP campaign into Korean? Wonder if that will generate any Korean interest.

Any chance we could see a Leviathan Dota 2 Item on top of the TF2 Item? The only thing is that I don't know who the item would fit on. Maybe Undying?

Working on these, as well as Big Band TF2 items.

We're proposing a Leviathan hook for Pudge, a coiled Leviathan shield for someone else, and trying to figure out a courier... maybe Minette?

Running out of..everything at half the money we need for big band.

Need around 20 times the amount we can currently obtain via the rewards that are left.

I think they're planning a "Fly Me to Evo" tier for some amount.

You're right though that they've certainly run into a wall with trying to come up with worthwhile high tier incentives without making it so that the amount of time spent fulfilling incentives doesn't get in too much of the way of the actual development of the game.

Looking into what goes into high tier rewards for other high profile Kickstarter/Indiegogo projects the go-to thing seems to be allowing people to put their own user generated content in the game. Unfortunately there's not much room for that in a fighting game short of allowing people to create their own fighter ... which would be prohibitively costly, NPC ... which we've run out of more or less, or Stage ... which has the potential to sort of warp the original vision of the game and it's notable places and probably also takes a fairly significant amount of money to create.

Actually ... is a user made Stage tier a worthwhile venture? How much would a person have to pay in order for you guys to profit off of its design and implementation? The tier for Squigly that went from funding her Character to her Stage + Story was 25k, how much of that would be purely the stage in this instance?

15k for user generated stage (with the footnote that designs can and will be altered to fit within the world / artstyle of SG). Would anyone pay for that?

We're proposing a Leviathan hook for Pudge, a coiled Leviathan shield for someone else, and trying to figure out a courier... maybe Minette?

I wasn't aware that Valve are accepting promo items for Dota 2 yet. I'd also be wary, since the Dota 2 community seems to be a bit more conservative than the TF2 community, so if you make something that looks blatantly out of place then you will be shouted at.

Yeah, that doesn't mean it will actually be funded, what's it at 40% now? That should have been the main focus. Game is still a pandering to its demographic.

Roubjon

Yeah, that doesn't mean it will actually be funded, what's it at 40% now? That should have been the main focus. Game is still a pandering to its demographic.

They already had a bunch of stuff completed for the female character. I don't think they want to abandon all that work and then come back to it months later.

Kusagari

The name of the game is and always has been Skullgirls.

Get over it. It's almost guaranteed Big Band will be funded anyway.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I would love to see a courier based off of Big Band, I think it would be the most visual interesting.

Since Leviathan is a Dragon, a shield based off of him would likely work with Dragon Knight.

Cmagus

Nice to see you guys met the goal. I'll throw my $30 in when I get paid this week.

Just a suggestion but maybe for a reward you could have two custom sticks made with custom art and have anyone who donates any amount entered in a draw to win one of them. Could bring in more people or even people would make even a small donation.

Nice to see you guys met the goal. I'll throw my $30 in when I get paid this week.

Just a suggestion but maybe for a reward you could have two custom sticks made with custom art and have anyone who donates any amount entered in a draw to win one of them. Could bring in more people or even people would make even a small donation.

I think what they're doing with regards to custom sticks is that the person who can get the most referrals to the indiegogo campaign will end up with a custom dual modded stick.

PBalfredo

By the way, when did Big Band take the position of First Male Character We're Gonna Put In over Panzerfaust, who held that title last time I checked (which was a while ago honestly)? Not complaining, just wondering.

Loona

Well, I am convinced that this can't not be referenced. Needs to be a Alt colour or a snuck-in voice line or something!

A big target character with no arms...
Give him a Geese Howard counter move, and if it connects he plays that Chrono Trigger line.

Which brings to mind a suggestion for a donation tier above designing an NPC:

I don't know about other games, but some attacks in Super Robot Wars have special snimation for when they finish off an opponent, usually adding some extra animation to them, they call that dynamic kills.
Fighting games usually don't have that - at most the screen will be flashier if you finish with a super, and KoF XIII extends some final super frames into winning poses (Mai and Shen Woo), but you see nothing new.

So my idea is: upper tier reward -> design a "dynamic victory" (with the SG showbiz naming conventions, "grand finale" ir something could work) for the character/move combination of your choice.

So a high donator could propose that finishing someone with some throw with Cerebella could lead into something like that thing she does in her ending, or Parasoul finishing with a Black Egrets move would make a few of those guys show up and carry the victim away for questioning.

It could be a bit more work for animators, but a small portion of the whole thing that would use the practices they're already familiar with.

joe2187

Banned
By the way, when did Big Band take the position of First Male Character We're Gonna Put In over Panzerfaust, who held that title last time I checked (which was a while ago honestly)? Not complaining, just wondering.

Most likely the staff itself voted.

I'll admit I was never a big supporter of Big Band...but after hearing about his playstyle, I cannot be more hyped for him.

Top Bottom