• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sky Crawlers : Innocent Aces (Wii) - new pics

6323311313.png

c20080618_sky_02_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080618_sky_03_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080618_sky_06_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080618_sky_07_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080618_sky_08_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080618_sky_09_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080618_sky_10_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080618_sky_11_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/086/86872/

Looking pretty good... Anyway, I'm really hoping to see this game at E3, not only so they could possibly confirm a US/EU localization, but also to finally have some hands-on impressions on this.

Aeris130

At least call it Aces of Innocence or something. Innocent Aces makes it sound like they're sending up kindergarten dogfighters or something.

Looking good none the less.

Ronin

Aeris130 said:
At least call it Aces of Innocence or something. Innocent Aces makes it sound like they're sending up kindergarten dogfighters or something.
Go dance with an angel.

ivysaur12

Banned
Cautiously optimistic.

What are the chances of this coming to West since it seems be based off of a Japanese novel and now movie?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Aeris130 said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say they are kindergarten pilots, but the name Innocent Aces does come from the fact that the pilots are all young. The novels supposedly delve on this problem. Just think of it as something similar to the fact that those who are in the military and most likely get K.I.A. in our reality have barely turned into adults.

ivysaur12 said:
Cautiously optimistic.

What are the chances of this coming to West since it seems be based off of a Japanese novel and now movie?
As I said in the older thread a few months back: the film is being directed by Oshii which means it'll hit overseas markets most definitely. Whether Warner Bros. has much say in whether the game hits overseas, I have no idea. I'm expecting the game will eventually get a release.

Looks like another quality third party title for the Wii... I think it's safe to say the Wii is following very closely to how the third party situation rolled along on the DS throughout year 1 and 2.

schuelma said:
Looks good

Japanese release date yet?
Fall 2008, that's all we know so far.

ivysaur12 said:
What are the chances of this coming to West since it seems be based off of a Japanese novel and now anime?
Well, it seems like it would depend mostly on whether or not they release the movie in the West...Though I guess they could always try to localize the game without even counting on the the movie release, and market the game on its strengths alone...But I think a release along with the movie would definitely help somehow.

ivysaur12

Banned
speedpop said:
As I said in the older thread a few months back: the film is being directed by Oshii which means it'll hit overseas markets most definitely. Whether Warner Bros. has much say in whether the game hits overseas, I have no idea. I'm expecting the game will eventually get a release.

Hmm... ok.

Hopefully it's better then their last attempt at a flying sim on a Nintendo platform.

Bust Nak

Looks good... so excited... disjointed thought flooding brain!

I need to know if waggle or the thumb stick is used for flying NOW!

Anime characters! Please bring back the branching story of electrosphere!

I am not sure how I feel about propellor planes yet, on the one hand jets are way cooler, on the other gun kills is more fun than missles.

Shiggy

camineet said:
Namco's Ace Combat team.

They also made StarFox Assault.

Are you sure? I think this was only the original announcement but then it was not the case for the final game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
nice. all we need now is this game actually reaching here.

jarrod

Banned
Shiggy said:
Are you sure? I think this was only the original announcement but then it was not the case for the final game.
Yep, Project ACES only made...

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (PS2) 2004
Ace Combat 0: The Belkan War (PS2) 2006
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation (360) 2007
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces (Wii) 2008

...Star Fox Assault (GC) and Ace Combat X (PSP) both had some key staff onboard, but they weren't actually made by Project ACES iirc. ACX was actually made by Access Games chiefly, not Namco. A lot of the original AC staff left Namco to form cavia after AC04 too I think.

Door2Dawn

Banned
-WindYoshi- said:
Looks like another quality third party title for the Wii... I think it's safe to say the Wii is following very closely to how the third party situation rolled along on the DS throughout year 1 and 2.
:lol :lol

jarrod

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
:lol :lol
What... DS was pretty pitiful year one 3rd party wise, but it started picking up year 2 and now in year 4 it's overflowing with amazing 3rd party stuff.

Wonderdog

Recently saw the movie and have to say that I'm really interested in the game now. Too bad it probably will never get a US release. :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Here's a somewhat brief synopsis of the story for those interested taken from Jason Gray's (translator involved with films over in Japan) blog:

In a world not unlike our own, it's a time of relative peace following several world wars. To truly appreciate this transient period of harmony, people demand a "war for show" that they can follow on their TV sets. Pubescent fighter pilots known as kirudore fight deadly air battles over Europe. They fight not for countries but companies that sponsor them, while the media keeps a running tally of each corporation's success.

Kannami Yûichi (voiced by Kase Ryô) arrives at the Urisu base at the front lines. He has no memory of his life before his arrival, yet possesses incredible fighter pilot skills. But why does base commander and former ace Kusanagi Suito (voiced by Kikuchi Rinko) regard him with such intense eyes, as if she's been waiting for him?

What is the secret of these young pilots' existence and why do they hold such fascination for the millions that watch their daring efforts from the safety of their living rooms? Who is the mysterious and undefeatable adult pilot with the black panther insignia on his plane known only as "Teacher"?

The kirudore while away their days on the ground, only feeling alive when they're in the skies. The upcoming "world cup" battle between powerful sponsors Rostock and Lautern will decide many of their fates. The cockpit is "their cradle and their coffin"...

birdchili

Vinci said:
I'm not crying over that. Japan has usually been the precursor for things to come.
no tears here either. if wii can keep japanese companies making console games i'm all for it - particularly if some of the stranger stuff keeps getting greenlighted (this game is more interesting to me than an actual wwii flight game, for example).

this will surely get localization. how hard can it be to localize something like this?

Looks a bit too clean for Wii. But apart from the added AA it looks to be gameplay shots. Plane models could use some more polygons in some instances but otherwise it's looking pretty good. Here's hoping for a Euro release.

speedpop said:
Here's a somewhat brief synopsis of the story for those interested taken from Jason Gray's (translator involved with films over in Japan) blog:
Wow, sounds awfully cliché.

Walshicus

Aeris130 said:

Looking good none the less.
Yeah, Sky Crawlers makes it sound like Rugrats in Ace Combat or something.

EDIT:
penny.jpg

Awesome.

neight

Banned
speedpop said:
meh my hype for this franchise just died.

More pics of the various airplanes, as well as their names and a short descriptions for each.

Sanka Mark-2 : possesses a high mobility and a velocity which can easily overwhelm the enemy airplanes ->

s01.jpg

Suiga : a general purpose airplane used by many pilots. ->

s02.jpg

Seiei : a high speed, bi-propellers plane. ->

s03.jpg

Itsuha : possesses a propeller mounter on "pusher" configuration just like the Sanka Mark-2. Also, similarly to the Sanka Mk-2, it has a very high mobility which allows it to revolve graciously in the sky even in the midst of the battle. ->

s04.jpg

Incident : a bi-trunked airplane from the Raulten army. Its fuselage, and notably its large wings, give him both high mobility and high turning efficiency, for truely excellent performances. ->

s05.jpg

Fission : a bi-trunked, all purposes airplane from the Raulten army. Possesses an easy to handle fuselage, which confers him all ranges of practical uses within the armed forces. ->

s06.jpg

Source : http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1217308_1407.html

Also, I think it's worth pointing out that the game has been set for an October 16th release in Japan.... Let's hope we get some gameplay footage as well as some gameplay impressions in the meantime, at least...

Top Bottom