• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sky Crawlers : Innocent Aces (Wii) - new pics

2 propellers on the front and back? I've heard of dual-propellers on the front shaft (didn't work out too well), but I can't help but wonder how it would fly in real life.

solid2snake said:
wait, a good looking third party game for Wii? you gotta be shitten me.

You know they announced this 2 months ago...right?

But yeah, it still looks awesome. This is the Wii flight combat sim to buy (as if there were any other good ones)

Pimpbaa

Hope it's good. Been wanting a good ww2 flight game. Recently picked up blazing angels 2 for 18 bucks and I didn't like that much at all.

ShockingAlberto said:
Solid2snake's new thing is to go in to threads about things he has no idea about, skim the IGN page, then make a really stupid post.

still bitter about my first impression of this DJ game on PSP, eh?

@death_born: yeah, i will jump into the Wii train and i'm gathering the exclusivs. btw, great avatar.

Arde5643

ShockingAlberto said:
Solid2snake's new thing is to go in to threads about things he has no idea about, skim the IGN page, then make a really stupid post.
Welp, you can't say he doesn't have a purpose in GAF though.

!!The late-to-everything-post GUY!!!

Vorador

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

After his post in DJMax thread, i agree with this.

Anyway, i expect a decent arcadey combat sim. I will keep an eye onto this, even if i don't have a Wii :D

Well, speaking of impressions...I found these impressions from Dengeki online while seaching for reports from the July 5 meeting, in which the game was in playable form. Anyway, for those interested, here is what I could get out of this :

- basically, nunchuk : joystick, wiimote : throttle. Unlike most Wii games, the standard, recommended configuration here is : Wiimote on the left hand, nunchuk on the right. [though it's probably possible to invert anyway]. The correct position for the nunchuk is to hold it vertically, then to tilt it to move the plane. Same for the wiimote, except you tilt it forward and backward to accelerate and decelerate. The triggers on the nunchuk are used to action the weapons.
- about the Tactical Maneuver Command (TMC) ; to use this command, you have to fill up TMC gauges (you can accumulate up to 13 levels of gauge) then press the A button to execute an acrobatic maneuver which will automatically put you right behind a targetted enemy airplane. It will then be up to you to manage to shoot this enemy down with your machine guns [it's unclear as to how exactly you fill up this gauge, but I assume that it's by shooting down targets and completing objectives...]. They however mention that, as the difficulty ramps up, the second half of the game will see the apparition of enemy airplanes which evade easily from the TMC, so it's not an infaillible system either.[I wonder...does the effiency of the command depend on the the gauge level ?...]
- Objectives also include ground target bombing and fights-less reconnaissance missions.
- Obviously no missiles. However, they feel like the TMC basically serves as a substitute for this.
- They think the game looks "absolutely beautiful".
- Nunchuk controls are apparently really responsive, but can get some time to get used to, essentially because the lack of references in space and feedback forces you to "grasp" the effectiveness of the nunchuk movements by yourself. Apparently feels really good and fresh once you "get it". They say you can really feel like you are controlling one of these motorized airplane and not a modern jet propelled airplane. The writer mentions that just as described in the original work, the Sanka Mk-2, which he was able to play, featured a very particular lightness and maniability ("Revolving as lightly as a paper airplane."). Though you can however still very much feel the mass of the aircraft and its resistance against the wind as you pull the "joystick". They also state that the game feels overall even more "fictional" than, say, Ace Combat, as they mention that the dogfights pretty much feel like they are out of an anime/manga.

And that's pretty much it. Looks like they enjoyed what they played, including the controls. Now for some gameplay footage...

CTLance

Uuuuh not so sure about the tilt controls. The game still sounds swell though, and the preview makes it sound enjoyable, so I'll be looking forward to being blasted out of the sky.
ShockingAlberto said:
Solid2snake's new thing is to make a really stupid post.
Fuxed.

Wonderdog

Dark Octave said:
:lol Innocent Aces?

C'mon now...

In the context of the story, the title makes sense. But yeah, without context I can see how it could seem a bit "off." BTW, awesome movie. Saw it a couple months back and can't wait to see it again.

phalestine

aka iby.h
solid2snake said:
it hasn't any "Wii" in the title nor does it continue a famous IP. i would say, it will bomb in japan.

its not like people don't know what this is. this is based off of a famous book now turned into an Anime Film which I think is out or coming out.

Fake edit - ooo I just saw that trailer (for the anime) and boy does it look kickass

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
solid2snake said:
it hasn't any "Wii" in the title nor does it continue a famous IP. i would say, it will bomb in japan.

har har

Tobor said:
Nunchuck tilt controls, eh? I'm intrigued.
Yep. I'd certainly love to try these out, myself, just to know if it feels as fresh as it sounds in the impressions.
Added this bit about the nunchuk controls, by the way :

- Nunchuk controls are apparently really responsive, but can get some time to get used to, essentially because the lack of references in space and feedback forces you to "grasp" the effectiveness of the nunchuk movements by yourself. Apparently feels really good and fresh once you "get it".

Also, about the TMC, if anyone's curious :

[...]They however mention that they have been told that, as the difficulty ramps up, the second half of the game will see the apparition of enemy airplanes which will evade easily from the TMC, so it's not an infaillible system either. [I wonder...does the efficiency of the command depend on the the gauge level ?...]

Gwanatu T

-WindYoshi- said:
Looks like another quality third party title for the Wii... I think it's safe to say the Wii is following very closely to how the third party situation rolled along on the DS throughout year 1 and 2.

Yeah, things are REALLY looking up now, and it's incredibly refreshing to see. I hope these games start doing equally as well too, as I don't want yet another repeat of previous Nintendo consoles' third party sales.

maxmars

Stormbringer said:
- basically, nunchuk : joystick, wiimote : throttle. Unlike most Wii games, the standard, recommended configuration here is : Wiimote on the left hand, nunchuk on the right. [though it's probably possible to invert anyway]. The correct position for the nunchuk is to hold it vertically, then to tilt it to move the plane. Same for the wiimote, except you tilt it forward and backward to accelerate and decelerate. The triggers on the nunchuk are used to action the weapons.

Heatseeker was like this (minus the throttle IIRC) and it worked very well. Pretty much the only good thing about that game.

Stormbringer said:
- about the Tactical Maneuver Command (TMC) ; to use this command, you have to fill up TMC gauges (you can accumulate up to 13 levels of gauge) then press the A button to execute an acrobatic maneuver which will automatically put you right behind a targetted enemy airplane. It will then be up to you to manage to shoot this enemy down with your machine guns [it's unclear as to how exactly you fill up this gauge, but I assume that it's by shooting down targets and completing objectives...]. They however mention that, as the difficulty ramps up, the second half of the game will see the apparition of enemy airplanes which evade easily from the TMC, so it's not an infaillible system either.[I wonder...does the effiency of the command depend on the the gauge level ?...]

Feels like a "win" button to me. Hopefully it doesn't destroy gameplay.

More screenshots/art :

c20080822_sky_01_cs1w1_450x640-1.jpg

c20080822_sky_02_cs1w1_590x.jpg

c20080822_sky_03_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_04_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_05_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_06_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_07_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_08_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_09_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_10_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_11_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_12_cs1w1_590x.jpg

c20080822_sky_13_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_14_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_15_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_16_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_17_cs1w1_640x452.jpg

c20080822_sky_18_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_19_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_21_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

c20080822_sky_22_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

Note that the game is part of Bandai-Namco's Chara Hobby 2008 line-up (along with Fragile), so hopefully we will have some reports from there.

Haunted

I really like what I'm seeing.

Glad Namco Bandai got the Ace Combat team on this project, there's been too few first-string teams from third parties working on the Wii so far, imo.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Innocent Aces? Innocent Aces? What does that even mean? What. Does. That. Mean?

The game is looking rather interesting at this point but this overuse of dramatic wording has got to cease.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Topher said:
Innocent Aces? Innocent Aces? What does that even mean? What. Does. That. Mean?

The looking rather interesting at this point but this overuse of dramatic wording has got to cease.
It's actually kind of paramount to the storyline of the original novel.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
love that camera POV. hope its an option, since a cockpit view seems out of the question at this point. other than that, looking awesome, especially some of the lighting reflections on the aircraft. i hope it makes it stateside, i mean, it looks solid enough to sell on its own merits rather than have the license back it up. that's exactly what it would need out stateside and Europe.

edit:
rewatched the JP trailer and noticed a split second of cockpit footage. uber-redeemed? not like it need it from me...

Top Bottom