• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sky Crawlers : Innocent Aces (Wii) - new pics

Dolphin

Banned
Wow, It's really starting to look promising. I haven't had my flight action fix satisfied since Crimson Skies on the PC. I'm a sucker for flight action, wish we had more space action too. It's a waaaaayyyyy underrepresented genre. Back in the early to mid 90's flight and space sims were all the rage, now there's one decent game every 3 years. If this turns out well I'll be picking it up IMMEDIATELY.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This just game just appeared on my want list, the system section on the website confirms both Classic and GCN controller support.

glaurung

skinnyrattler said:
Ahh. You shitting me? When you say sci-fi plane: that plane blows or there is only one sci-fi plane?

BTW, PITA?

PITA is pain in the arse.

What I meant by the 'only-one-scifi-plane' comment was that the AC series as always been more arcade-like and therefore took liberties where those presented themselves. One of the coolest features always was the multitude of awesome, unreal planes that were a hoot to play as and really made you want those.

AC6 has approximately 20 planes, all except one are real-life machines and that deters the game's arcade feel, because the flying model and no-blackout or redout still prevail.

All in all: everything seems to hint at the idea of making AC6 more of a simulation, not arcade. So it is kind of an unbalanced mix.

speedpop said:
+thumbs up for Namco.
Indeed. I'm obviously hoping for the standard, motions based control scheme to live up to its potential and outclass the other, more traditional ones in the end, but I must say that having more options is always a good thing.

maxmars said:
Aaand.. Do we know if this game supports online multiplayer? I'm thinking Crimson Skies here.

Nothing has hinted to online functionalities so far, and the (definitive ?) boxart doesn't seem to indicate that either :

24fiw7b.jpg

...so I'm inclined to believe that the game won't support that.

Of course there is always hope for some kind of surprise reveal before the game's release...Unfortunately, the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Stormbringer said:
Indeed. I'm obviously hoping for the standard, motions based control scheme to live up to its potential and outclass the other, more traditional ones in the end, but I must say that having more options is always a good thing.
Yeah, I remember playing Ace Combat 3 on my friend's big dual-joystick setup back in the day. Such an awesome experience.. would be nice to see the Wii remote & nunchuck emulate that type of experience again.

maxmars

Stormbringer said:
Nothing has hinted to online functionalities so far, and the (definitive ?) boxart doesn't seem to indicate that either :

...so I'm inclined to believe that the game won't support that.

Of course there is always hope for some kind of surprise reveal before the game's release...Unfortunately, the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

I see. That would be unfortunate, but in the end I'll buy it that anyway.

Dolphin

Banned
VicViper said:
Project ACES disagrees.
I'm a PC/Wii owner. I'd like an Xbox 360, but don't currently own one. I'm pretty addicted to flying with mouse/keyboard though, and thought the Wii might somewhat satisfy that addiction.

So, 2 players cooperation is now confirmed...just not in the way you would expect it.
Basically, as a certain indication is displayed on the upper left side of the screen when you connect another Wiimote, a second player can take this Wiimote, and point at the screen to shot at the enemy, granted he is at gun's range (think : Super Mario Galaxy coop mode). In the game, it seems like it is translated by another plane joining you to fly in formation with your plane.

080905_sky_01.jpg

(2P mode in action)

Anyway, a few more details from there :

- 12 playable planes in total, with the ability to customize each of them with 26 different parts [I imagine this remodeling would influence the plane's handling to an extent]
- 17 different missions [for comparison, AC6 had 15 missions. AC Zero had 18, AC5 had 27, and AC4 had 18]

speedpop

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd prefer the game to just remain single player.

speedpop said:
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd prefer the game to just remain single player.
Well, as I mentioned above, I'm never against more options and modes in my games, especially if they make sense given the type of game, if they bring enough additional fun, and aren't particularly half-assed...So I think that in this case, it would have been reasonable to hope for some multiplayer online mode, although a good and dense enough single player mode could probably prevent from regretting any additional multiplayer mode.
birdchili said:
i couldn't care less about an online mode, but a 2p co-op "gunner" mode sounds great.
Yep, as basic as the concept sounds, I think there could be some really good fun to be had here.

maxmars

speedpop said:

Eh, I tend to get bored by single player very soon. Unless of course you throw in some kind of randomness, like a dynamic campaign. Missions usually are so scripted you feel like you're in Groundhog Day after the first time.

This will be a great rental.

andthebeatgoeson

glaurung said:
PITA is pain in the arse.

What I meant by the 'only-one-scifi-plane' comment was that the AC series as always been more arcade-like and therefore took liberties where those presented themselves. One of the coolest features always was the multitude of awesome, unreal planes that were a hoot to play as and really made you want those.

AC6 has approximately 20 planes, all except one are real-life machines and that deters the game's arcade feel, because the flying model and no-blackout or redout still prevail.

All in all: everything seems to hint at the idea of making AC6 more of a simulation, not arcade. So it is kind of an unbalanced mix.
Oh, ok.

Well, I'm all out of games to play that really interest me and AC6 is sitting in it's case, never touched. Guess I'll give it a try.

BTW, those screens look good. I'm starting to inch towards 'day one'.

speedpop said:
This isn't some obscure Japanese game that no one is going to buy, on it's own two feet it is a new project by the Ace Combat team. Thing is it just happens to be using animation from the movie which is apparently licensed by Warner Bros.
Those videos are drawn in the same style, but they don't come from the movie.
SC:IA won't be just a tie-in, it may be based on a different story (and the same setting, of course).

Looks as crisp as the screenshots (though that could also be due to the video's size) and very smooth - nice. Here's still hoping for a western release.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That looks nice, and I like the look of the 2-Player coop mode too. I had quite a lot of fun sitting with friends and family on Super Mario Galaxy guiding them with my pointer and helping them out as they played along, so this would be a helpful thing to have too.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i wonder if the original verison will be heavy on jp text..

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Regulus Tera said:
Sounds good. I just wish someone picked it up for localisation. Any details?

Ditto. Me want. I myself haven't enjoyed a flight-sim-ish game since Freespace 2. So it's been a while! ;)

soultron

Banned
I will buy a Wii if this comes to NA. It looks like it might have the Sky Gunner feel to it... except, like Ace Combat... so... not like Sky Gunner at all.

I really want another Sky Gunner.

camineet

Banned
Now the graphics engine looks, worse than Ace Combat 5 on PS2 (2004) though better than AC4 (2001).

Still interested in the game though because I like how AC games play, expecting Sky Crawlers to not be too different.

Gameplay vids from TGS :

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41256.html
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/sky-crawlers-preview-tete-nuages-actu-168428.html

Visuals look really damn good. Game seems pretty fun too (and from the few impressions I've read, it's actually fun). That TMC (acrobatic maneuver) system looks cool, although it seems overused in the first vid (not without consequences though, as the plane's engine overheats frequently). Gotta see how well the whole game is balanced around it. I imagine that it would be relatively easy to blast through the enemy airplanes with it at the beginning, but that its use would require more strategy as the game progresses (especially considering that the enemies develop TMC-evading techniques later on, as it's been mentioned). Anyway, it certainly looks promising.

andthebeatgoeson

Stormbringer said:
Gameplay vids from TGS :

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41256.html
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/sky-crawlers-preview-tete-nuages-actu-168428.html

Visuals look really damn good. Game seems pretty fun too (and from the few impressions I've read, it's actually fun). That TMC (acrobatic maneuver) system looks cool, although it seems overused in the first vid (not without consequences though, as the plane's engine overheats frequently). Gotta see how well the whole game is balanced around it. I imagine that it would be relatively easy to blast through the enemy airplanes with it at the beginning, but that its use would require more strategy as the game progresses (especially considering that the enemies develop TMC-evading techniques later on, as it's been mentioned). Anyway, it certainly looks promising.
Damn, nearly has the same 'mission accomplished' tone as Ace Combat. Something tells me I'll miss missles.

antispin

Seems pointless with the 'auto-trick' option. Meh. I'd rather pull my own aerial tricks and maneuvers. Was hoping for something akin to Crimson Skies, this does not look it.

antispin said:
Seems pointless with the 'auto-trick' option. Meh. I'd rather pull my own aerial tricks and maneuvers. Was hoping for something akin to Crimson Skies, this does not look it.
Well, as far as I know, you're not forced to use this system, and the game can be played in a perfectly regular way if you feel like it. But given that this option is there anyway, you'd rather just deal with it, and learn to use it in a balanced way. Which is why I'm hoping that the gameplay is built around teaching you how to use this option wisely, which would mean including some pros and some cons of using it, and overall, balancing this system in regard to the whole game. Guess we will see what's up with that when some more complete impressions come in.

speedpop

antispin said:
About as pointless as using the lock-on missiles in Ace Combat?

Top Bottom