• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

fernoca

Zing said:
One thing of note: the OP should be updated to say that the wireless versions of the game (PS3 and Wii) do not come with a USB cable. I was expecting the portal to be identical to the other portals, but with an additional wireless USB adapter. Instead, it comes with a unique portal that not only does not include a standard USB cable, but it doesn't even have a USB port! It's wireless only.
That's...what it says to some extent. :p
Portal of Power
  • Xbox 360 and PC versions, includes an USB-cable to connect the portal to your hardware.
  • PS3 and Wii versions, includes an USB-wireless accessory to connect the portal to your hardware and batteries for the portal-accessory. The USB-wireless accessory is in the battery compartment.
  • Nintendo 3DS version uses the 3DS built-in IR receiver, portal-accessory uses batteries; which are included.
  • All versions include an USB-cable to connect it to the PC-web game (Spyro's Universe).
The USB-dongle is supposed to be inside the battery compartment. The other cable is for the PC web-game.

EDIT:
Scratch that, PC connectivity it's also through the wireless dongle. But the wireless dongle/receiver is supposed to be were you put the batteries.

EDIT 2:
Changed the info in the main post to:
3DS version includes an USB-cable to connect it to the PC-web game (Spyro's Universe). To connect to the web-game with the other portals, the other versions use the same cable/USB-dongle that you use to connect to the hardware.

Thanks, Zing. :p

RobbieNick

Look what arrived at my Wal-Mart.

o5taon.jpg

Looks like the second set is out. My Wal-Mart only has Wrecking Ball, Dino-Rang and Hex.

ReaperXL7

Any word on the Four Armed Goro type character from anyone? Been trying to find somewhere carrying him for awhile, but no luck.

1983445-c_slam_bam_thumb.jpg

Or this one

24.jpg

Probably my luck and they are not released yet, but I had found a couple before that did not list as being released, so I want to find out if anyone had found either of these two.

RobbieNick said:

o5taon.jpg

Looks like the second set is out. My Wal-Mart only has Wrecking Ball, Dino-Rang and Hex.

I thought my skylander hunt was over last week when i bought sonic boom to finish off the first set of characters and adventure packs. Glad to know these are in stores, I've had a good time going to stores looking for the ones I'm missing. I feel kinda stupid because I havnt even opened the game and have all the characters in single packs sitting in my closet, for some reason I wouldn't let my self buy the 3 packs. I just hope the new set isn't undershipped, from the looks of the characters they seem a lot more interesting than the first set released.

ReaperXL07 said:
Any word on the Four Armed Goro type character from anyone? Been trying to find somewhere carrying him for awhile, but no luck.
They Havnt been released yet, so far there's 17 in individual packs, 2 in adventure packs, and ignitor who comes with the 3ds version. So there's 12 more characters comming out 2 which are in the other adventure packs. They all look more interesting to me than the first 20 so I'm sure they released the first set to make sure some of the plaine characters got sold, like bash, eruptor, and stump smash

Zing

Banned
Oh boy. And I thought I was done hunting for a while. I'll just wait until Toys R Us has a bunch of the new ones in stock before spending too much time searching.

I have a few questions.

Is the game pre-determined, or are the items random. For example, the first power up I found was for Stump Smash. Is that the first power up everyone finds?

Also, how does the Best Buy exclusive arena work? Is it just a one-time unlock and then you never need the arena again? Or do you need to put the arena on the portal every time you want to play it?

ReaperXL07 said:

1983445-c_slam_bam_thumb.jpg
I'm pretty sure hes coming with an Ice themed Adventure pack thats prob coming out after the Dragon one comes out.

Finished the 3DS game tonight. Well I say finished, I still have another 60 odd crystals to get. The ruins were awesome to play through, the last level of them was epic. The final boss fight was pretty good as well, although it did make me wish that the game had of had more boss fights in it.

The platforming was awesome, the game looked and sounded great, I just wish there had been more of it. I dunno like another 2 worlds or something. I can't wait to see what they do with the sequel on the 3DS, more of what they have done already would be awesome. I really do hope we see more 3d platformers on the 3DS like this.

My MVP of the game would have to be Stealth Elf, I just had soo much fun using her, I loved the way she attacked in a fury of attacks, looked soo cool. I also had heaps of fun using Terrafin. Can't wait to pick up a few more Skylanders just to level them up. I still need to get a Water and an Undead type to have one of each and I really want to get an extra for each type just for the hell of it.

BooJoh

RobbieNick said:

http://i56.tinypic.com/o5taon.jpg[IMG]

Looks like the second set is out. My Wal-Mart only has Wrecking Ball, Dino-Rang and Hex.[/QUOTE]Awesome, Wrecking Ball is adorable and looks fun to play. Dino-Rang looks fun too. I'm heading to the city tomorrow, hopefully Toys R Us will have those and maybe some other new stuff. I still need the Eruptor/Chop Chop/Bash 3-pack to finish off my first wave too.

[QUOTE=ReaperXL07]Any word on the Four Armed Goro type character from anyone? Been trying to find somewhere carrying him for awhile, but no luck.

[IMG]http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/13/134743/1983445-c_slam_bam_thumb.jpg
He should be in the Empire of Ice Adventure Pack, which to my knowledge isn't released yet. I'm hoping it'll be out before Christmas since it has the Santa Hat hidden in the level (at least on 3DS.)

Zing said:
Is the game pre-determined, or are the items random. For example, the first power up I found was for Stump Smash. Is that the first power up everyone finds?
I'm pretty sure the power-up gems are all located in preset locations, but I'm not positive.

Jerrek

Neo Member
Stopped by my local Walmart today but had no luck with wave 2. :( in fact it appeared as if the display hasn't been restocked in a week or two. Picked up sonic boom for the wife as we needed an air guy still, to accompany 'my' eruptor we picked up yesterday, rounding out our elementals.

Jerrek said:
Stopped by my local Walmart today but had no luck with wave 2. :( in fact it appeared as if the display hasn't been restocked in a week or two. Picked up sonic boom for the wife as we needed and air guy still
No luck here either I checked out Walmart, target and toys r us. Heads up toys r us is giving away the legendary 3 pack with the purchase of any starter pack.

Zing

Banned
This game just keeps throwing surprises. I now have +150% experience for having eight Skylanders, one of each type.

I also discovered
the blue butterflies that give you discounts on upgrades

Zing

Banned
I seriously wish this game would never end. I don't know how many hours my friend and I have put into it, but based on my assumptions of the plot, I'd say we are 50% of the way through the adventure.

I did my first heroic with Gill Grunt and just barely succeeded. I have quite a few characters up to level 4, but most are around level 2. We constantly swap in whatever type is optimal for the area.

One problem is without the Target exclusive figure, you can only have one wind type character. This makes it a little less exciting when in a wind-weak area, as only one of us can use wind.

The characters seem to be fairly balanced. The melee characters (Stealth Elf, Chop Chop) do seem a little more fragile as you have to get close, and sometimes its hard to tell what is going on.

Initially, I felt Sonic Boom was the weakest of the bunch. Now he is one of my strongest. The wide spread sonic attack is really strong and with the flying upgrade you can zip through the "time trials" quickly.

Voodood has also become a favourite. The grapple attack is great. Prism Break and Gill Grunt are the ones I seem to do the best with. Gill Grunt in particular is damn powerful. His harpoons are slow, but they do immense damage.

RobbieNick

Got Dino-Rang today. Of course, he's pretty much all ranged attacks with his boomerang. But he does have a close up boomerang attack that does more damage and makes a shield for him. Of course, he's got a bit of an Australian accent. XD

RobbieNick said:
Got Dino-Rang today. Of course, he's pretty much all ranged attacks with his boomerang. But he does have a close up boomerang attack that does more damage and makes a shield for him. Of course, he's got a bit of an Australian accent. XD

Where did you pick up yours? I might be tempted to go look for some tomorrow.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Any update on when they're shipping out more figures? Everything online appears to be sold out :(

RobbieNick

eudaemonic said:
Where did you pick up yours? I might be tempted to go look for some tomorrow.

Wal-Mart in Covina, CA. I think they got the second shipment when they got thier display for the store. They just put that up yesterday.

BooJoh

Zing said:
One problem is without the Target exclusive figure, you can only have one wind type character. This makes it a little less exciting when in a wind-weak area, as only one of us can use wind.
Just curious, are you sharing figures, or will the game not allow two figures of the same character at once?

Zing

Banned
BooJoh said:
Just curious, are you sharing figures, or will the game not allow two figures of the same character at once?
We don't own two identical figures, but I don't see why the game wouldn't allow two identical figures to be used at the same time.

For example, when we come to a "life area", we just each choose a unique life character. Some figures have becomes "hers", such as Bash and Flameslinger. Some have become "mine", such as Gill Grunt and Prism Break. Otherwise, we just pick whatever we feel the urge to play.

We start each level with all of the figures sitting behind the portal. As we play through a level, any figures we use get set in front of the portal after swapping out. In this way, after the level is complete, we immediately know which figures may have enough coins to buy an upgrade.

Having two water figures is strongly recommended. There are many areas reachable only by water types, as only they can swim.

I still haven't tried the online game, as it requires Flash, which I do not have installed. I may bite the bullet and install Chrome as a self-contained Skylanders player.

There are two quirks I find with this game:
1) The hats are not balanced. I expected each hat to be a unique combination of stat boosters, but all roughly equal. This is not the case. There is a hat that is +5 elemental and a hat that is +10 elemental, so the latter is inherently superior.
2) Spyro doesn't fit in. I have trouble understanding why he was shoehorned in. The story never mentions him by name. He is just another one of the foot soldiers. Every other Skylander has a thematic and fun name which fits their character. Spyro is just a random dragon with an odd name. Sure, they had the license to make a "Spyro game", but I fail to see how his name increases sales or awareness in any way.

Shiv47

I've been playing with my kids, who have gotten frustrated with the Kaos boss levels the last couple times, as they keep getting their Skylanders knocked out. For laughs I threw the Pirate Swords piece on the portal to help, and holy shit does that thing do the business. We buzzsawed through the three minion attacks in about five seconds. I also kept trying to get my kids to break stuff to get more coins, but until they started wanting upgrades really badly, they didn't get it. Now they break shit like champs.

Zing

Banned
I was surprised at how tight the "time trials" are for each level. You really have to run, not stopping to fight unnecessarily or getting treasure. You will have to go through each level at least twice to get the three star rank.

Zing

Banned
fernoca said:
PC connectivity it's also through the wireless dongle. But the wireless dongle/receiver is supposed to be were you put the batteries.
Yes, I just wanted to clarify that the versions of the game with a wireless portal do not include a standard USB cable. They also do not have a standard USB port, even if you wanted to use your own.

The reason I was initially confused about it having a cable, is that I thought the wireless portals would just use the native bluetooth of the PS3 or Wii (I wonder why they didn't?). I thought the "wireless" portal would be identical to a regular portal, except come with a bluetooth USB adapter to plug into the portal. I didn't know the portal would have the wireless built into the unit itself.

It seemed funny to me that people would not know where the wireless USB adapter is. The manual explains its location in one of the first sentences. The portal itself also has a sticker directly on the outside of the battery compartment explaining it with a picture! :D

fernoca

By the way, anyone with the 3DS and a console/PC version that is willing to "experiment"? :p

Apparently, the 3DS portal can be used on the Wii version (not sure if in the others); by plugging it with the USB cable (and turning it on of course).

It apparently works, the same way..but you have to put your character over something that causes more pressure to the portal (an eraser, or something) otherwise the character will be removed from the portal every now and then.

Zing said:
Yes, I just wanted to clarify that the versions of the game with a wireless portal do not include a standard USB cable. They also do not have a standard USB port, even if you wanted to use your own.

The reason I was initially confused about it having a cable, is that I thought the wireless portals would just use the native bluetooth of the PS3 or Wii (I wonder why they didn't?). I thought the "wireless" portal would be identical to a regular portal, except come with a bluetooth USB adapter to plug into the portal. I didn't know the portal would have the wireless built into the unit itself.

It seemed funny to me that people would not know where the wireless USB adapter is. The manual explains its location in one of the first sentences. The portal itself also has a sticker directly on the outside of the battery compartment explaining it with a picture! :D
Oh yeah, I got what you said a little later. :p
But yeah, I think someone in here couldn't find it, but quickly got his answer and no biggie. But I saw people over Facebook, Twitter and other forums returning the products to the store; because "it was missing". :p

RobbieNick said:
Wal-Mart in Covina, CA. I think they got the second shipment when they got thier display for the store. They just put that up yesterday.

Hmmm... there's a Walmart semi close to me but I was hoping TRU would have gotten them so I can use my Rewards card for the credit towards the mysterious free figure. Decisions...

ravien56

fernoca said:
By the way, anyone with the 3DS and a console/PC version that is willing to "experiment"? :p

Apparently, the 3DS portal can be used on the Wii version (not sure if in the others); by plugging it with the USB cable (and turning it on of course).

It apparently works, the same way..but you have to put your character over something that causes more pressure to the portal (an eraser, or something) otherwise the character will be removed from the portal every now and then.

Oh yeah, I got what you said a little later. :p
But yeah, I think someone in here couldn't find it, but quickly got his answer and no biggie. But I saw people over Facebook, Twitter and other forums returning the products to the store; because "it was missing". :p
I also want to know if this works but it’s not like any store is going to sell just the Wii version of the game without the portal/characters.

Jerrek

Neo Member
Does anyone know for sure which figures are being release in Wave 2? I've heard Dino-rang, Hex, and Wreckingball so far. Anyone else? Is there a new three pack?

BooJoh

fernoca said:

Just plugged my 3DS portal into my PS3 via USB. I had to unplug the receiver from the PS3 portal and then replug the 3DS portal to get it to work, but once I did that, the 3DS portal powered up without having to push it down, and seems to be staying on. My character hasn't been removed at all and it's been several minutes. I also tried adding an item to see if it would recognize both, and it did even though the item was crooked because both won't fit on the 3DS portal at once. Same goes for levels. It'll read the character and level as long as they're close enough to the top of the portal.

As a final test, I removed the batteries from the 3DS portal, and it still works, so apparently it's pulling power through USB.

I did notice that when I grabbed some treasure then pulled the figure off, it didn't save that treasure to the figure when I put it back on, but then I tried with a different character and it did save, so I dunno if that's because of the 3DS portal or if any portal could have that issue.

chiQ

I'm still waiting for my starter pack to arrive, and I'm already twitching to get new toys. This is probably going to prove to be very expensive.

fernoca

Oh, thanks for the update BooJoh.
Seems to work better than reported. I'll try myself in a few weeks, when a friend buys the game "for his daughter".

Zing

Banned
BooJoh said:
I did notice that when I grabbed some treasure then pulled the figure off, it didn't save that treasure to the figure when I put it back on, but then I tried with a different character and it did save, so I dunno if that's because of the 3DS portal or if any portal could have that issue.

The official FAQ states that characters are not constantly saved, and removing a figure may cause some data to be lost. It doesn't say how often data is saved, though.

Went to a couple stores today: Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us.... No luck on any Wave 2.... until Walmart that is!

384613_10100108934062124_6312708_42525871_58352108_n.jpg

Picked up a Dino-Rang and Wrecking Ball! :D

Tried Toys R Us and 2 Targets for the Wave 2 figures today and struck out. My local WalMart doesn't even have any individual figure packs
I found Drill Sergeant at a WalMart like an hour from my house
so I'm not even going to bother looking just yet. :/

chiQ

Zing said:
The official FAQ states that characters are not constantly saved, and removing a figure may cause some data to be lost. It doesn't say how often data is saved, though.

I asked and they said 'every few minutes', so I asked what that means. I'll post back when I get useful information.

RobbieNick

n8NMONSTER said:
Went to a couple stores today: Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us.... No luck on any Wave 2.... until Walmart that is!

384613_10100108934062124_6312708_42525871_58352108_n.jpg

Picked up a Dino-Rang and Wrecking Ball! :D

Maybe the entire 2nd set is not being released all at once. My Wal-Mart only has Din-Rang, Wrecking Ball and Hex. Maybe those are the only 3 new ones released so far.

fernoca

Well, guess I'll change Dino-Rang, Wrecking Ball and Hex from N/A to 'Single Packs' in the chart.

EDIT:

And done...

3OCi7.png

So that leaves to be announced:
-Double Trouble
-Slam Bam
-Wham Shell
-Lightining Rod
-Warnado
-Cynder
-Zook
-Camo
-Legendary Trigger Happy

Zing

Banned
I am sitting in bed and unable to play the game for a few days due to my teammate not being able to come over until Wednesday. I thought I would go back and reply to a few things in this thread.

IlliterateBookworm said:
Do characters get multiple soul gems or is it one per person?
It's only one per character. You can see the ability that will be unlocked at the bottom of each character's abilities list. It seems that each "soul gem ability" has a base cost of 4000 coins! Yikes.

izakq said:
Has anyone come across freezing issues? It's already froze on us twice on the Wii version in different areas of the game.
I'm on chapter 10 and have yet to have any sort of problems on my Wii.

Bamelin said:
I originally tried to do the fish guys (gill) challenge when i was lvl 1 or 2 but decided to come back after failing a Few times.
This is the only heroic I have tried and I was able to succeed with 2 seconds remaining. It was tough! My Gill Grunt was probably level 3 or 4 at the time.

fernoca said:
Though, maybe the stats are different. (don't have the games, so can't check); but based on the site; it refers to them as 'Power Stats' and lists Strength, Agility, Defense and luck.

So maybe the stats in the cars are general stats; while in game stats are different..or measured in a different way. Maybe the stats are the ones that change by leveling up; while the 'Power' ones are general ones to describe that character.
I noticed that the stats listed for the characters on the "Spyro Universe" game are named as on the cards: strength, defence, luck, agility. However, there doesn't seem to be any relation to what is on the card and in the game. Maybe it is the relative max level of each stat?

Jerrek

Neo Member
Has anyone played the Darklight Crypt level yet? How does it fair compared to the main game levels?

The extra Pirate level was quite fun, while not combat heavy we did enjoy the find and match type puzzles that have (so far) been exclusive to this map. While I wish there was MORE content for what it cost, I did enjoy what was there.

The items packed along are quite useful - I use the hidden treasure chest on every map for some extra cash, and it also seems to count as a normal chest for the level objectives, in the event you miss out on a real one. The Ghost Swords almost seem over powered in how easily they take out enemies, including the boss minions, to the point that I try not to use it.

Does anyone else think Terrafin sounds like Strongbad when he is burrowing through the ground?

BooJoh

I haven't done Pirate Seas yet but Darklight Crypt was really cool I thought. It has a lot of atmosphere, and was nice and long compared to most regular levels (17 minutes for the speed run!)

I've been neglecting my items, I never think to use them.

Zing

Banned
BooJoh said:

Yes, it is usually after we go through a big battle, possibly KO'ing a character or two, that we remember we have the healing potion sitting right next to the portal, ready for use.

Jerrek

Neo Member
BooJoh said:
I haven't done Pirate Seas yet but Darklight Crypt was really cool I thought. It has a lot of atmosphere, and was nice and long compared to most regular levels (17 minutes for the speed run!)

Yeah Pirate Seas was also 17 minutes for the speed run, a good chunk of that time being spent in those find and match games. Did the Darklight Crypt have any unique gimmicks or puzzles to it not seen in the main game?

We leave the treasure chest on pretty much at all times so it is pretty much impossible to forget, however I can see forgetting to use the time limited items until it is too late.

BooJoh

Jerrek said:
Yeah Pirate Seas was also 17 minutes for the speed run, a good chunk of that time being spent in those find and match games. Did the Darklight Crypt have any unique gimmicks or puzzles to it not seen in the main game?
I don't know if there's anything similar elsewhere in the game since I'm not through the main story yet, but Darklight Crypt has you switching back and forth between the realm of the living and the ghost realm, where small differences require you to go back and forth changing things for the other version of the map.

It seems that the additional Adventure Pack levels are quite long and great extra quests into the game, which is nice.

I suspect the Ice Level will have Slam Bam. As for the other one, that could be a few more, but I think Cynder.

Zing

Banned
TheUnknownForce said:
I suspect the Ice Level will have Slam Bam. As for the other one, that could be a few more, but I think Cynder.

Word on the street is:
Empire of Ice = Slam Bam
Dragon's Peak = Sunburn

Zing

Banned
Arg, why haven't they released another wind type? I wouldn't mind if Whirlwind was available in Canada, but they didn't bother to secure an exclusive outlet for it here.

If it were a few weeks ago, I would have paid extra to get one from Ebay or something, but it's probably not worth it now, since it would take 3 weeks to arrive first class and hopefully by then, we will have another wave of figures.

webrunner

Huh, apparently flying skylanders can go over water so you dont need to swim. That'll come in handy when doing coop since we just have gill grunt.

Zing

Banned
webrunner said:
Huh, apparently flying skylanders can go over water so you dont need to swim. That'll come in handy when doing coop since we just have gill grunt.

I wondered about that yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to test. At first I discarded the idea with the thought "but what happens if you try to land?" I then realized that the game probably just doesn't allow you to land if you are over water.

Also, fire characters can "walk through fire", although I'm not sure where in-game this happens.

I'm tempted to hit the stores today to see if the new figures are there, but I'm sure I would be disappointed.

Random thoughts:

I have read so much about the game that I can't remember where I find this info, but apparently the Wii version is more liberal with coins than the 360/PS3 version. I am already coin-starved on the Wii!

I like how you get experience boosts for the awards. I am up to 200% exp boost. This will help level up the new characters as I get them.

I need to check in game to see if there is note of how boosted your elemental power is due to having multiples of the same element registered.

I was also thinking about the heroic challenges. If you want to do all the challenges with all the characters, that is over 1000 plays, not counting retries!

I felt a little ripped off that the manual was in black and white. This is my first third-party Wii game, so maybe they all do it. I am used to the detailed colour Nintendo manuals. This is also my first "eco-case".

Anyone have experience with the "Volcanic Vault"? I goofed and bought my game at Toys R Us instead of Best Buy, thinking I wouldn't care about some PVP add-on. Now I regret it! I considered buying the game at Best Buy and returning that copy to TRU, but apparently the Vault is actually inside the box.

Liberty4all

Banned
Zing said:
Arg, why haven't they released another wind type? I wouldn't mind if Whirlwind was available in Canada, but they didn't bother to secure an exclusive outlet for it here.

If it were a few weeks ago, I would have paid extra to get one from Ebay or something, but it's probably not worth it now, since it would take 3 weeks to arrive first class and hopefully by then, we will have another wave of figures.

I went the ebay route. It only took a week but yeah I ended up paying almost double retail.

Zing

Banned
If I could get a Whirlwind shipped priority to me for around $16, I would totally do it. Anyone have a spare? :D

Liberty4all

Banned
Zing said:
Anyone have experience with the "Volcanic Vault"? I goofed and bought my game at Toys R Us instead of Best Buy, thinking I wouldn't care about some PVP add-on. Now I regret it! I considered buying the game at Best Buy and returning that copy to TRU, but apparently the Vault is actually inside the box.

Volcanic Vault is a lava reskin of the the water PvP level.

fernoca

Darn! :O!
I finally got to try the Wii version and ..it looks so pretty! :O!

Granted, coming from the 3DS game is kinda "weird" not been able to jump; bu everything else is really cool. it starts up quite simple, but they suddenly start throwing more enemies and stuff at you.

Now, I wish they sold the game standalone so I could get it. Asking a friend if I can take it for a few days to play more and try out the whole using 3DS portal with Wii too. Though BooJoh already said it worked, but want to see for myself too. :)

Top Bottom