• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

fernoca

Ypeal.png

AUMP1.png

• Activision
  • Square-Enix (Japan)
7KHbm.png

• Toys for Bob (Wii)
  • Vicarious Visions (3DS)
  • XPEC Entertainment (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

GUSxB.png

• AU: October 13, 2011
  • EU: October 14, 2011
  • NA: October 16, 2011
  • JP: Late 2012

bvJAd.png

NlXm2.png

(thanks to GameMaster78 for the list)
NOTE:
As it stands now, EVERYTHING is supposed to release this spring, instead of being dragged out through the summer. They could all arrive as early as mid to late March. Dragon's Peak and Legendary Trigger Happy are for sure coming in March. The translucent-blue Bash will be available at Toys R Us on Sunday, April 8th. Just might want to change all unreleased figures' release dates to spring 2012. The only ones that have a tentative date, is Dragon's Peak, L-Trigger Happy, and the translucent-blue Bash, which is exclusive to Toys R Us. Dragon's Peak is exclusive to Toys R Us for the first 30 days, and L-Trigg is exclusive there... forever.

**Legendary Tri-pack is back for a limited time at Toys R Us***

Wave 1 (October 2011)
Single Packs
  • Stealth Elf
  • Stump Smash
  • Sonic Boom
  • Whirlwind (Target only)
  • Drill Sergeant (Walmart only)
  • Boomer
  • Drobot
  • Zap
  • Voodood
  • Bash
  • Prism Break
  • Eruptor
  • Flameslinger
  • Chop Chop

Triple Packs
  • Prism Break, Boomer, Voodood
  • Eruptor, Chop Chop, Bash
  • Drobot, Flameslinger, Stump Smash

Adventure Packs
  • Pirate Seas with Terrafin
  • Darklight Crypt with Ghost Roaster (Toys R Us exclusive)

Nintendo 3DS
  • Dark Spyro (will remain 3DS exclusive)
  • Ignitor (will be released in a Single Pack in June 2012)

Wave 2 (December 2011)
Single Packs
  • Hex
  • Dino Rang
  • Wrecking Ball
  • Eruptor
  • Boomer
  • Zap
Triple Packs
  • Wrecking Ball, Stealth Elf, Sonic Boom
  • Zap, Hex, Dino Rang

Adventure Pack
  • Darklight Crypt (mass retail)

Wave 3 (January 2012)
Single Packs
  • Cynder
  • Double Trouble
  • Flameslinger
  • Chop Chop
  • Drill Sergeant (mass retail)
  • Whirlwind (mass retail)

Triple Packs
  • Whirlwind, Double Trouble, Drill Sergeant
  • Drobot, Flameslinger, Stump Smash
  • Wrecking Ball, Stealth Elf, Sonic Boom

Adventure Packs
  • Empire of Ice with Slam Bam
  • Pirate Seas with Terrafin
  • Darklight Crypt with Ghost Roaster

Wave 4 (April 2012)

Single Packs
  • Lightning Rod
  • Zook
  • Ignitor
  • Stealth Elf
  • Bash (Blue Bash will be available at TRU starting April 1st, 2012.)
  • Sonic Boom

Triple Pack
  • Lightning Rod, Cynder, Zook
  • Zap, Hex, Dino Rang
  • Prism Break, Boomer, Voodood

Adventure Pack
  • Dragon's Peak with Sunburn

Wave 5 (June 2012)
Single Packs
  • Warnado
  • Camo
  • Wham Shell
  • 3 other Skylanders from previous waves

Triple Packs
  • Warnado, Camo, Ignitor

Summer 2012
Single Pack
  • Wham Shell

78VvS.png

(thanks to chiQ for the update)

On the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and PC versions; data is saved to the toy after events like the following:
  • Gain a level
  • Collect 100 of either treasures or gold
  • Buy upgrades
  • Equip a Hat
  • Change the Champion’s name or owner
  • Champion is reset or placed on the Portal of Power for the first time
  • Receive a reward (Stat boost when completing a Challenge)

It will also auto save save after about 30 seconds. Just be careful not to rapidly switch between Skylanders if you're worried you'll lose something.
Skylanders saves game content at specific points of the game and if you are playing on a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, you will need to be signed in to a profile.

On the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and PC versions; Skylanders saves at the following points in the game:
  • Beginning of a level
  • When completing a challenge
  • When collecting an important item
  • When completing a level

On the Nintendo 3DS version, data is only sent to the figure when you're in the hub and ask to replace a Skylander-figure.
General data is saved on the game cartridge; so you need to put the figure back into the portal if you want to update its data.​

iZXRq.png

H4aty.png

gkXfx.png

CZF4g.png

XnQEN.png

lRRvf.png

Whether or not you own any of the figurines or a Portal of Power, you can now create an account and take charge of your very own Skyland! The universe is yours! Explore your Skyland—then customize it! As you level up your Skylander collection, you’ll unlock new lands and adventures! And since your friends can invite you to their Skylands as well, the action never ends!

With pirates and other evil invaders lurking, you’ll have your hands full with a wide array of action-packed mini-games. Of course, when not battling the bad guys, you’re free to travel to The Mainland, your Lair, or invite friends to explore your Skyland. Your guide, Eon, will explain everything you need to know!

Skylanders Spyro’s Universe is now your universe, so have fun!

Visit 'Skylanders: Spyro's Universe' website for more information.
QJEiy.png

xhLDn.png

dEKX3.png

What's in the Box?
The starter pack comes with everything you need to start your adventure including:
  • Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Software
  • Portal of Power
    • Xbox 360 and PC versions, includes an USB-cable to connect the portal to your hardware.
    • PS3 and Wii versions, includes an USB-wireless accessory to connect the portal to your hardware and batteries for the portal-accessory. The USB-wireless accessory is in the battery compartment.
    • Nintendo 3DS version uses the 3DS built-in IR receiver, portal-accessory uses batteries; which are included.
    • 3DS version includes an USB-cable to connect it to the PC-web game (Spyro's Universe). To connect to the web-game with the other portals, the other versions use the same cable/USB-dongle that you use to connect to the hardware.
  • 3 Skylanders Figures
    • Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC versions have the same 3 starters:
      • Spyro
      • Trigger Happy
      • Gill Grunt
    • The 3DS version is the only one that has 3 different starters:
      • Dark Spyro
      • Ignitor
      • Stealth Elf
  • 3 Trading Cards
  • 1 Sticker Sheet for all three characters
  • 3 Skylanders Spyro's Universe Codes
  • Collector Poster

rvDIJ.png

A few stores are (currently) selling exclusive character packs; only available at those specific retailer:
**As of January 2012, with the exception of the Legendary Pack (center-pic) the other figures can be acquired across all retailers**

Q9VTy.png
Like the other 'Packs'; this also include:
  • 1 Trading Card [per figurine]
  • 1 Sticker [per figurine]
  • 1 Skylanders Spyro's Universe Code [per figurine]
(Sam's and Big W are giving away 'Drill Sergeant' for free with the purchase of any 'Starter Pack'.)

Fa1Ul.png

Volcanic Vault:
Place the Volcanic Vault on the Portal of Power to unlock an exclusive battle arena.​
(Best Buy is including this inside 'starter packs' of the console versions.)

wvv73.png

maJZs.png

What's in the Box?
  • 3 Skylanders Figures
  • 3 Trading Cards
  • 3 Stickers
  • 3 Skylanders Spyro's Universe Codes

1TCGU.png

vVroG.png

What's in the box?
  • 1 Skylanders Figure
  • 1 Trading Card
  • 1 Sticker
  • 1 Skylanders Spyro's Universe Code

W8yGx.png

B5Krs.png

What's in the box?
Adventure packs unlock new worlds to play and explore within the game and come with the following:
  • 1 Exclusive Character
  • 2 Magic Items
  • 1 Location Piece which unlocks a new gameplay level
  • 4 Sticker Sheets
  • Skylanders Spyro's Universe Code

nsjiE.png

uAzCX.png

xyT60.png

sJMg7.png

This versions are more action oriented. Have you in the role of a "Portal Master" defeating enemies and collecting crystals to open up doors and move onto the next area. A few areas of platforming are thrown into the mix, along mini-games to change the pacing a little; and cutscenes to help move the storyline. This versions also offer drop-in/out co-op multiplayer into the main story/campaign, and a (2-players) battle mode that lets players pit against each other figures/characters.
(Check the 'reviews' for more information)

sqKmN.png

This version of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is more of an action platformer (similar to the original Spyro games) than its console counterparts. Players have to complete levels by gathering crystals, which lets them unlock more levels. Each level is littered with crystals, obtained by going towards the end of the level, or by doing a variety of tasks, such as defeating a certain amount of enemies, or finding items. Whenever the player finds a crystal, an enemy awakens and a time limit starts. They have to defeat enemies, and use rockets to ward off the chasing enemy. Unlike other versions, characters can make a jump, and a double jump. This version of the game is set in a different realm in Skylands called the Radiant Isles, and a different force of darkness is faced under the command of the Hektore.
(Check the 'reviews' for more information)

d2H2D.png

• There's no multiplayer on the 3DS version.
  • On the console version while playing you can use one figure at a time; but you can swap that figure whenever you want to.
  • The 3DS version allows you to use 2 figures at the same time, and alternate/tag between characters depending on the skills you need or just your preference.
  • The "portal-accessories" (what you use to send the figurines to the game) are slightly different across platforms; so you can't plug one in one platform, unplug it and use it in another platform.
    • On the PC and 360 versions are wired (included USB cable).
    • PS3 and Wii portals are wireless through an included USB accessory (includes batteries for the portal).
    • The 3DS portal is wireless, trough the built-in IR-sensor of the 3DS (includes batteries for the portal).
    • All versions include an USB-cable to connect it to the PC-web game (Spyro's Universe)
  • You can't jump on the console/PC versions.
  • You can jump/double-jump/dash on the 3DS version (since it's a more traditional platformer)
  • Console/PC portal: You need to leave your figurine/character all the time on it while playing.
  • 3DS portal: You put the figure to transfer up to 2 characters to the game and can remove the figurine after that. Made for "on the go" so you don't need to take with you the portal and figures you're playing with.

yFwP8.png

sRulg.png

hIALF.png

Mrthz.png

4tA8N.png

(iTunes)
  1. Skylanders Main Theme (Instrumental)
  2. Shattered Island
  3. Perilous Pastures
  4. Sky Schooner Docks
  5. Crystal Eye Castle
  6. Stonetown
  7. Exploring the Ruins
  8. Treetop Terrace
  9. Crawling Crypt
  10. Lava Lakes Railway
  11. Arkeyan Armory
  12. Lair of Kaos
  13. Legendary Ancient Sewers
  14. Cube Dungeon
  15. Skylanders Main Theme (feat. Miriam Stockley)

6OpEg.png

Platforms: iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch
Developer: Vicarious Visions
Release Date: April 5, 2012
Price: $0.99
Size: 78.2 MB
Purchase link

2haCc.png

Join Trigger Happy and the rest of the Skylanders as they patrol the Skylands for escaped trolls!
Grab your favorite Skylander and take to the skies in your flying gunship to put those troublesome trolls in their place — Skylanders style.​
7IMyx.png

KpTDY.png

• Tons of Magic Item boosts, such as Anvil Rain and Time Twister, to super power your adventure.
  • Play with over 30 different Skylanders characters.
  • Support for your existing Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure Toy Collection. If you already own Skylanders toys, use your web code card to unlock Skylanders and Magic Items in Cloud Patrol.
  • Friend and Global Game Center Leaderboards — what’s your high score?
  • 30 Game Center Achievements!
  • Universal App with support for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.

mdWRt.png

DHWBE.png

XNkee.png

I'm actually a little interested in this, just because it's totally something I would have wasted my money on as a kid, but I don't know if I'd sink money into it. Rental maybe?

fernoca

Aaron Strife said:
I'm actually a little interested in this, just because it's totally something I would have wasted my money on as a kid, but I don't know if I'd sink money into it. Rental maybe?
Well, if you can rent it with the figurines I guess.
You can't play the game without them (from what I've seen). Every time you swap/remove them the game stops; since the figurine also is like a memory card of sorts that stores that character's level/experience.

There are also figurines that add levels/areas too.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Picked this up yesterday on the 3DS, seems to be a good little game and the portal idea with the toys will have kids loving it for sure.

GF picked up the Wii version and haven't played that yet, but did play the multiplayer at an event and it had a very Powerstone-like vibe to it. I bought the starter pack and 3 more toys. No idea what the HD versions are like.

You can't play the game without the figurines, if you start a new file it asks for you to put a toy in the game. I got a pack with a pirate ship and some magic items as well as a character and it unlocks I guess a new level. All of the data must be in the game obviously.

i like how the worlds look but not sure about this one otherwise...

i don't like how it seems to be exclusively marketed towards kids hmmm the gameplay shown came across as super easy as well, maybe TOO easy for adults?

undecided

Tyeforce

Played it for a bit at a Toys "R" Us event today. I have to admit, it was pretty fun. They had the Wii version at the event. The 3DS version looks even better (except for the lack of multiplayer, but it's understandable being a portable version), and that's the version I'll be picking up tomorrow. I'll probably get the Wii version down the line, too. I'll get a head start on the 3DS version and level my characters up there and then bring them over to the Wii later on. That way I'll have a few already leveled up characters that my boyfriend and I can use to play with together. :D

fernoca

Added the only 3 reviews I know of at the moment, so if anyone happens to know of other sites/magazines with reviews; let me know. :p

EDIT:
Will resume updates later. This was kind of a last minute OT, to spread the word about the game. So will continue updating it. :)

Don't have the game; so I'll be depending on the impressions and reviews posted..in the mean-time.

Mr. Robot

Im really interested in this game, and by the videos i have seen, it looks like a top-view beat em up, i wouldn't really mind the difficulty as long as it is a long game, so im gonna wait for more reviews to see how is it.

Also i was a big fan of Monsters in my Pocket when i was a kid, and this reminds me of those little toys, and i guess that if this game takes off we could expect the next Marvel Ulitmate Alliance to be like this.

Liberty4all

Banned
Can I play crossplatform? For example Can I play with my wife with me on PC and my wife on 360 or PS3?

Will I need two starter packs to do this?

Saw the marketing setup at Best Buy today. Very interested in cross platform play. Frpm the sounds of things cross platform play will be a breeze?

fernoca

Bamelin said:
Can I play crossplatform? For example Can I play with my wife with me on PC and my wife on 360 or PS3?

Saw the marketing setup at Best Buy today. Very interested in cross platform play. Frpm the sounds of things cross platform play will be a breeze?
Yep.
The thing is that all "standalone games" are starter packs. Each platform's starter pack comes with a different set of starters-figurines; so for example: Your wife can play it on PC with her set of character, or you can play with one character and she with the other; then take those characters to any of the other versions (360, 3DS, Wii, PS3).

Multiplayer/co-op is a matter of just putting the figurine in the portal at any moment you want to play; or swap them as you play.

Mr. Robot

Bamelin said:

The figures themselves are cross-platform from what i understand, the games are not, i dont really get your question, but here are some scenarios:

-I dont know if the game has online play, but if it has, you could be playing on PC with other PC players but not Xbox/PS3/Wii players, no online cross-platform.

-You could be playing in PC, level up or get an ability, While your wife is playing on Xbox, and then exchange figures while playing and maintaining the stats you just earned, but you are playing indepently of eachother.

-You can be playing with your wife, on the same system at the same time, since the "portal" supports 2 figures at a time.

Liberty4all

Banned
WIN!

Day 1

Just to confirm so I'm sure ... I can play on PC while my wife is playing on 360/PS3 at the same time in a co-op game? Will I need two starter packs to do so? I get that a figurine carries stats from game to game no matter the platform.

I'm wondering if a player on a PC can be in a same game as a player from a PS3 (or 360).

fernoca

Bamelin said:
WIN!

Day 1

Just to confirm so I'm sure ... I can play on PC while my wife is playing on 360/PS3 at the same time in a co-op game? I get that a figurine carries stats from game to game no matter the platform.

I'm wondering if a player on a PS3 can be in a same game as a player from a PS3 (or 360).
Hmmm...

-You CAN play on PC, while your wife plays on 360/PS3.
-You CAN'T play at the same time with each other (you on PC, she on console).

What you CAN do; is play on PC on your own; she play on console (on her own); then you can take your figurine to her game and play with her (or vice versa; she take her figure to your game).

(i.e. to play co-op you both need to play on the same console, but you can use on co-op any figurine no matter the console. Like I can take my figurine played/raised on a 3DS game and use it on a 360/PS3/Wii/PC version.)

See the figurine as a memory card. Only that can be used across platforms. But you can't play at the same time with each other on different platforms. Both need to be on the same platform on the same room, at the same time.

Hope this helps..and I got what you meant (now). :p

EDIT:

Also I should note that; there are PC-web minigames which are separate from the PC/360/PS3/Wii/3DS versions. For that all you need is a figurine from any of the versions you're playing, use the webcode and play.

The concept seems really cool, I just can't agree with the character design they choose to go for Spyro. I mean how do you go from this
175766-spyro_the_dragon.jpg

to this

activision-announces-skylanders-spyros-adventure.jpg

Why would you throw away all that appeal? They might as well have created a new character entirely.

Anyway, I do like the idea that your figures can be leveled up in-game, it's a pretty interesting concept. I think if I were a kid I'd eat this up in an instant, weird character design and all.

eXistor

I'm not gonna play it personally, but I'm surprised at how well this is marketed. The game actually seems to be good and I think for 8-12 year-olds this could well be the thing to want to have this holiday. It's been selling quite well in our store too, though it seems to be mostly man-children that buy it so far (including my 22 y/o colleague, but then again he loved Poképark as well, even thinks it's the funnest Wii game there is).

I don't quite see how this couldn't have all worked in-game without any figurines, but I get the collectability factor of it all.

/cynical_mode on

I like the idea, but I think this is going to flop. 8-12 year olds these days want to shoot people in Modern Warfare, not collect figurines. Pricing is also prohibitive. Too much competition in this industry right now for a finite amount of entertainment budget.

fernoca

Added the Penny Arcade strip and 2 more reviews (PlayStation illustrated and Game Boyz). The big sites haven't reviewed it yet, so...we'll see.

Finishing the thread during the day after I have some breakfast and do some misc. things. :p

Lijik

Hero of Legend said:
Would it have killed them to at least have added the classic Spyro as an unlockable? Ugh...
I think the best we'll get is a purchaseable figurune somewhere down the line of the Legend of Spyro design.

The Lamp

What have they done to the Spyro series? ;_;

This is neat as a concept for kids in general but why does Spyro's name have to be attached to it....:( this doesn't look anything like a Spyro game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Lamp said:
What have they done to the Spyro series? ;_;

This is neat as a concept for kids in general but why does Spyro's name have to be attached to it....:( this doesn't look anything like a Spyro game.
Because the original developers haven't made them in years?

eXistor

BigNastyCurve said:
/cynical_mode on

I like the idea, but I think this is going to flop. 8-12 year olds these days want to shoot people in Modern Warfare, not collect figurines. Pricing is also prohibitive. Too much competition in this industry right now for a finite amount of entertainment budget.

I know the extra figurines can add up to insane amounts of moolah, but the game itself is decently priced I think. It's the same price as any other game, but you get 3 figurines and the Portal of Power in addition to the game. I consider the figurines to be a form of physical DLC.

fernoca

Well, I think that's it for the thread...for now. :p
Will continue adding reviews and updating impressions; depending on what's posted around.

Captain N

My wife LOVES Spyro and always complains that I only every play shooters. I got this bad boy for us to play with our son. I haven't opened it up yet.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Jeels said:
Wow, I'm impressed by the scores this got, especially for whta amounts to a children's game.
Children should be the primary market for games, really. Once upon a time, they were.

fernoca

Well, guess I wasn't finished.. :p
Added a "GAF impressions" part to the thread. Only VOOK's and Tyeforce's quick impressions so far. :p

The Lamp

zoner said:
Because the original developers haven't made them in years?

I'm not even talking about the PS1 games....even the PS2 and earlier current-gen games seemed more Spyro-like than this.

But I guess that's the market that's changing.

Tyeforce

fernoca said:
Well, guess I wasn't finished.. :p
Added a "GAF impressions" part to the thread. Only VOOK's and Tyeforce's quick impressions so far. :p
My impressions made it to an OT? :O :D I'll post a more in depth impression/review-ish thingy after I've played the game for awhile.

You're OTs are really nice, fernoca. Loved the Solatorobo one, and this one is great, too!

Agent X

They showed some of the gameplay on Nintendo Week. Surprisingly, it looked pretty interesting. While it doesn't look like something I'd personally get involved with these days, if I were a child I'd have surely craved something like this. It was also wise of Activision to arrange it so that the characters could be transported across different platforms, meaning two people who have different systems could still build up their characters independently, then convene on one of the systems and battle with (or against) each other.

I'm also not a fan of the new Spyro character design compared to the original, but then again I've also seen far worse.

fernoca

Tyeforce said:
My impressions made it to an OT? :O :D I'll post a more in depth impression/review-ish thingy after I've played the game for awhile.

You're OTs are really nice, fernoca. Loved the Solatorobo one, and this one is great, too!
No prob, and thanks. :)
Is the first year I do OTs. :p
Started with Mortal Kombat one which had some more planning and time, but I was really limited back then; so even with planning there was stuff that didn't made it, or didn't looked the way I wanted to or had to change it. But the experience was nice.

Solatorobo, MotoHeroz and this one were relatively "last minute ones"; which is why I posted them incomplete and edited (and still editing) a lot of things. :p

Now, to see when I can buy/play this game. XD
Kinda ironic that outside MK (which I had preordered), I don't own the games of the threads I make, Solatorobo ended buying it a few days after...and had to ask for a few favors, since I'm broke. This one costs twice the price of Solatorobo so who knows... XD

Open for thread suggestions and waiting for more impressions. :p

Forkball

Seems like you have to buy a bunch of junk to play the full game. Also poor Spyro, he has to take a backseat to shitty friends.

Zoibie

SwiftSketcher said:
The concept seems really cool, I just can't agree with the character design they choose to go for Spyro. I mean how do you go from this
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3/175766-spyro_the_dragon.jpg[IMG]

to this

[IMG]http://www.gamingunion.net/newsimg/activision-announces-skylanders-spyros-adventure.jpg[IMG]

Why would you throw away all that appeal? They might as well have created a new character entirely.

Anyway, I do like the idea that your figures can be leveled up in-game, it's a pretty interesting concept. I think if I were a kid I'd eat this up in an instant, weird character design and all.[/QUOTE]

It's like they saw [url=http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2011/june/550x-expensive-luxury-cat.jpg]this picture[/url] and thought "yeah, that'll work with Spyro!" Ugh...

I had this completely written off when it was announced but those reviews are really surprising. I probably won't get it now but when it drops in price, I might consider.

fernoca

Added misc. info about the which versions has wired/wireless portals (Game Differences: Misc. Info) and which versions include different starters (Starter Pack).

Basically:
  • 360/PC portals: Wired (USB cable -no batteries-)
  • Wii/PS3 portals: Wireless (USB dongle -batteries-)
  • 3DS: Wireless (IR -batteries-)
  • Wii/PS3/PC/360 starters: Same 3
  • 3DS starters: 3 different ones

Top Bottom