• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While I don't care at all about Spyro and the like, I do like this idea for both figures being more important and being able to use them across various consoles.

My dream of them re-releasing M.U.S.C.L.E./Kinnikuman figures and another video game would be much more plausible if this takes off.

fernoca

Another positive review posted, in german this time.. :p

"Overall, I must say that I'm impressed; despite initial skepticism. 'Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure' is an entertaining game for single as well as multiplayer fans. The linearity and simplicity, in the form of few open spaces may affect the overall experience to some, but thanks to a new element (figures and portal), a cute world, a well-told story and gameplay variety; the experience manages to stay fun; which in the end it's what matters."

Apparently TFB was originally making a dark, mature Spyro game. Remember that bunch of art from just before the unveiling that showed Spyro as an adult and one shot showed a soldier shooting at a dragon (Spyro?)? I think that was the original, or among the original directions.

In all honesty, the adult Spyro was really interesting, better IMO as it gave me a Dragonheart-vibe and could've served as a future Spyro, rather than a reboot.

Takao

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
Apparently TFB was originally making a dark, mature Spyro game. Remember that bunch of art from just before the unveiling that showed Spyro as an adult and one shot showed a soldier shooting at a dragon (Spyro?)? I think that was the original, or among the original directions.

In all honesty, the adult Spyro was really interesting, better IMO as it gave me a Dragonheart-vibe and could've served as a future Spyro, rather than a reboot.

Meh, the Legend of Spyro series seemed to be going grimdark so I'm not too surprised the canceled game was like that. Seems Activision dropped all of that when they canceled the movie.

Captain N

Hero of Legend said:

spyro1.jpg

TFB_LF_spyro02.jpg

right here.

fernoca

Well, was kinda bored..so added some of the characters.

Looking at them and their names (plus the whole elements of nature bit); they kinda remind me of the characters from Kameo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought about buying it at Gamestop, but they didn't have the pack with Drobot, so I didn't. I think it was a good idea for me to save money anyhow.

fernoca

zoner said:
I thought about buying it at Gamestop, but they didn't have the pack with Drobot, so I didn't. I think it was a good idea for me to save money anyhow.
Though from what I've seen, Drobot is sold by separate at $8; was that the individual one you were looking for? [seems to be sold out at a few places online, so either Drobot is popular or haven't shipped yet].

All stores/versions have the same starters; though a few added an extra character (like Sam's) for free.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
RiverBed said:
Currently, the average age of a gamer in the US is 38.
Yes, and that 38-year old gamer will launch into nostalgia orgasms at the mention of stuff like Ducktales and TMNT.

The gaming world could use a little bit more pandering to kids' demographic if it's through games where the devs seem to be trying to satisfy more than just their shipping deadlines. We're at a dizzying low on good games with blue skies and whimsy.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone tried 3DS to Wii play (or HD consoles) play? I put my 3DS characters on the Wii version but their stats didnt pass over. All the documentation says it should. Maybe I did something wrong.

There's some differences between the portals as well.

Both glow and have a USB micro plug for using them on the computer and website. But the 3DS version is a 'passive' device more so that you have to turn it on and then suck the guys into the game. The Wii portal (and I assume the HD ones) are wireless and you need to keep the dudes on the portal during play. If you play co-op another Skylander toy needs to go on it.

If you get your Skylander knocked out while playing it'll need a 'rest' and you'll have to use another. Lucky it comes with three!

I really hope I can sort out this Stats thing with the 3DS version. All of my guys are already at Level 4 (max 10) so want to get them on the Wii version with those stats. Apparently the hats should come over too?

fernoca

Too bad I can't help... :/

But that's weird, VOOK. It should work...unless if you'e just starting on the Wii you need to start the game first and "unlock the option". Like play the game normally on Wii, then after you start put the other figurine as a co-op partner.

Online; aside people "happy to be playing this" haven't found much info about it. Maybe during the week when the "big sites" start posting their reviews and stuff.

And yep... Wii/PS3 is wireless, PC/360 is wired, 3DS is IR.

Captain N

VOOK said:
Anyone tried 3DS to Wii play (or HD consoles) play? I put my 3DS characters on the Wii version but their stats didnt pass over. All the documentation says it should. Maybe I did something wrong.

There's some differences between the portals as well.

Both glow and have a USB micro plug for using them on the computer and website. But the 3DS version is a 'passive' device more so that you have to turn it on and then suck the guys into the game. The Wii portal (and I assume the HD ones) are wireless and you need to keep the dudes on the portal during play. If you play co-op another Skylander toy needs to go on it.

If you get your Skylander knocked out while playing it'll need a 'rest' and you'll have to use another. Lucky it comes with three!

I really hope I can sort out this Stats thing with the 3DS version. All of my guys are already at Level 4 (max 10) so want to get them on the Wii version with those stats. Apparently the hats should come over too?

Yeah, I heard that they all can be put on any system and that was one of the big draws. I've got the 360 version and it needs to be on the portal at all times in order to play. It stinks that the 360 Portal isn't wireless.

yencid

I played as dark spyro during comic con. Didnt realize he is 3DS exclusive and otherwise you wouldnt be able to play as him

Captain N

yencid said:
I played as dark spyro during comic con. Didnt realize he is 3DS exclusive and otherwise you wouldnt be able to play as him

so you need the 3ds starter pack or do you can't play as Dark Spyro on the console versions?

Spyro is only available in the console starter packs, and Dark Spyro is only available in the 3DS starter pack.

To get all playable characters you will need at least two versions of the game. Also there is a special three-pack at TRU but look to be skin recolors.

sfog

I hadn't ever heard of this until Nintendo Week did a segment on it last week. Seems like a neat idea for its target audience of kids who like to collect/battle with cheesy things (ala Beyblade, Bakugan and the like), but the gameplay itself looked pretty bland to me.

Then again, as a 26 year old, I'm not their main target...

Briarios

Played it for about 3 or 4 hours today w/ my gf's daughter -- picked it up with a bunch of the packs for the PS3. I gotta say, it's pretty fun - besides the combat, there are a lot of little puzzles to do. With each character leveling up separately, having hidden skills you have to find, and being able to purchase new abilities - there is a lot to do if you're one of the type that likes to complete stuff.

While the game is pretty simple, the abilities make it fun - especially in the 2-player competitive arenas. The kid I was playing with got a kick out of the interactivity of the arena's - she loved flooding them with magma or triggering spike traps.

The versus modes are fun, I just don't know how long they'll last -- that part of the game really needs to be able to play more than two. If you could play four, it would be pretty amazing. There are 3 different modes, all relatively different. One is a simple battle level, the other is like football -- you have to get this energy orb and make it into the goal zone for 7 or throw it through the uprights for 3 while the other player tries to take it away. The third is totally an homage to Power Stone -- you have to collect 5 power stones that spawn on the field. Hitting the other player makes them drop the stones.

There seems to be a good variety of enemies and the different powers of the creatures makes for some good combos -- they all feel really different due to their offensive/defensive powers.

The switching out of characters on the fly is seamless and easy - it works really, really well - to the point that if one of your guys is about to go down, you just grab it off the portal and replace it with someone new. If you put back the old figure, it remembers the damage level. Pretty cool.

Captain N

I started playing this with my 2 1/2 year old son and he LOVES this thing. I cannot wait to play this some more with him tomorrow.

yencid

Captain N said:
so you need the 3ds starter pack or do you can't play as Dark Spyro on the console versions?
3DS starters pack, you can play as dark spyro on the consoles. BUT the dark spyro figurine comes in the box for the 3DS one. So to play as dark spyro on the console you have to either buy the figurine seperatly or own the 3DS version im guessing. Keep in mind this was in comic con so they had them readily available. The person that was showing me the game was saying that the 3DS version is more like an old platformer, influenced by crash bandicoot and the old spyro. I didnt get to play the 3DS version.

fernoca

Captain N said:
Well, Dark Spyro is only available on the 3DS Starter pack at the moment, but you can play as him on any of the other platforms if you know someone that has the figurine and wants to trade. :p

Added info (and pics) related to "exclusive character packs" that a few retailers are offering.

-Toys R Us is selling an exclusive "legendary characters pack" (3 figurines)
-Target is exclusively selling the 'Whirlwind' figurine
-Sam's included in the Starter Pack the figurine of 'Drill Sergeant' (for a total of 4 figures); they're also selling this "bundle" for $65 ($5 less than the regular Starter Pack)

Briarios

The Whirlwind figure from Target was totally worth it -- one of its attacks is rainbow spit/puke a la King of All Cosmos ... so made the game worthwhile lol It actually has a really useful barrier/trap attack, too.

fernoca

Briarios said:
The Whirlwind figure from Target was totally worth it -- on of its attacks is rainbow spit/puke a la King of All Cosmos ... so made the game worthwhile lol It actually has a really useful barrier/trap attack, too.
Damn, no Target's in Puerto Rico. :(

Just ordered the main game from Amazon and both adventure packs and a 3 character pack from TRU (B2G1) as a "family" present for my son and daughter for Christmas. I'd have flipped my shit for stuff like this when I was a kid, and I'd actually forgotten it was coming out until my son mentioned it today, so they must be marketing it on Cartoon Network or Nick for sure.

Briarios

fernoca said:
Damn, no Target's in Puerto Rico. :(

EBay or just have someone pick it up and ship it to you, if you decide it's worthwhile. Shipping isn't that bad to PR.

Looking at all the stuff I've picked up for it, I'm very tempted to go ahead and just get the 3DS version since everything works across platforms.

fernoca

Briarios said:
EBay or just have someone pick it up and ship it to you, if you decide it's worthwhile. Shipping isn't that bad to PR.

Looking at all the stuff I've picked up for it, I'm very tempted to go ahead and just get the 3DS version since everything works across platforms.
Yeah, eBay's a possibility. Hoping that some store by mistake or something gets packages from Target or something. I've bought DVDs labeled as "Target Exclusive" from Wal-Mart and Best Buy. XD

Will go around store to see how things are; during the week. No money to afford a character much less the game; but at least to see if there's hype around here and it's selling.
Kinda hoping there's not much hype around here... :p ..so I have no need to rush.

Takao

Banned
Is anyone who played Spyro on PSone as a kid even old enough to be a father? Well, I guess be a father and not be a case for 16 and pregnant.

fernoca

Takao said:
Is anyone who played Spyro on PSone as a kid even old enough to be a father? Well, I guess be a father and not be a case for 16 and pregnant.
Well; there were even older people playing the games back then (1998). Heck I was around 17, so I could've been a father. :p

Anyway, thanks for the title change Nirolak! <3! :D!
(thought it looked kinda empty without a subtitle so settled for one :p)

fernoca

Well, added 'Briarios' impressions to the main post and info about "Best Buy's bonus" an item to unlock a battle arena; included only on the Wii, PS3 and 360 versions of the game.

And "cleaned" a little bit:
-Since it was "Nintendo-related", moved the E3 video to the second row, so it was 5-5 (videos); after the 3DS ones.

-Erased one of the packaging pics since it was redundant (packaging's the same in console versions) and put the 1-lonely picture in that place; to also have two rows of 5-5.

Tyeforce

Shoot...I didn't know Best Buy had an exclusive thing with their starter packs. Good thing I didn't buy the Wii version at Toys "R" Us yet. Hopefully the exclusive offer will last awhile, because I don't plan on picking up the Wii version just yet.

Also, in my game I noticed it lists all 37 Skylanders—all 32 normal Skylanders, plus Dark Spyro and four Legendary Skylanders. I bought the three Toys "R" Us exclusive Legendary Skylanders (Spyro, Bash, and and Chop Chop), but where can you get the fourth Legendary, Trigger Happy?! I haven't seen it anywhere. I didn't even know it existed unit I saw it in my game.

Lo_Fi

Oh Spyro, how far you've fallen. I wonder how Insomniac Games has felt about Spyro since they left the franchise.

fernoca

Lo_Fi said:
Oh Spyro, how far you've fallen. I wonder how Insomniac Games has felt about Spyro since they left the franchise.
Second one to say the same thing, so I'll just quote the response the other got:
nincompoop said:
That's an interesting comment to make about a game which has been receiving near-universal praise from the people who've played it thus far.
:p

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Takao said:

Wouldn't a thirteen year old that played the originals be like 27 right now?

Social

This just arrived at my office ( work for Kids TV ), we're thinking about giving this a try... I read one good review.

Do you guys this this is worth setting up?

2v2jzg5.jpg

It came with one extra figure called "Prism Break"

Azriell

New Spyro looks fucking terrible. This is a pretty cool concept for a kids game, although my assumption is the toys are probably not much fun to play with (since they're on a base and probably lack moving parts).

I'm glad to see that it's apparently pretty good. I think I'll pick it up in a few months when its on clearance. There's no way you make a game that takes up this much space (case + toy packs) and don't eventually see it hit rock bottom when the popularity wanes.

Azriell said:
New Spyro looks fucking terrible. This is a pretty cool concept for a kids game, although my assumption is the toys are probably not much fun to play with (since they're on a base and probably lack moving parts).

I'm glad to see that it's apparently pretty good. I think I'll pick it up in a few months when its on clearance. There's no way you make a game that takes up this much space (case + toy packs) and don't eventually see it hit rock bottom when the popularity wanes.

Probably going to take more than a few months. People are really underestimating how much Spyro Universe (the internet portion of this whole venture) is going to do for the product. Look at what Moshi Monsters has done if you don't believe me.

Also, TRU put this in their Top 10 Christmas Toys, which is sure to help it sell as well.

Top Bottom