• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

fernoca

Toys R Us is giving away the Adventure Pack 'Darklight Crypt' with purchases of any Starter Pack. Don't know if it's retroactive (i.e. go with your receipt if you recently got it and get the pack).

madmackem

Shit, i really want to try this but im a 29 year old male with no kids to say i bought this for. It looks alot of fun and im all about gimmicks.

fernoca

madmackem said:
Shit, i really want to try this but im a 29 year old male with no kids to say i bought this for. It looks alot of fun and im all about gimmicks.
I'm 29 years old and with no kids , so...GO!!

bodine1231

madmackem said:

I'm 32,its a fun game. I'd say its a cross between the Lego Games,Torchlight and Eye of Judgement.

RobbieNick said:
I don't know but I think he was in the older Spyro games if I remember correctly.

ok you're right:

"Cynder is carried over from the Legend games, and Auric the Banker is Moneybags from the Classic series down to the last detail. (He's a brown bear with a monocle and a black suit obsessed with treasure for crying out loud!)"

but i can't find out what he does in Skylanders ...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Bamelin said:
Any ideas on how to get Whirlwind in Canada? (no Targets here)

If you aren't able to find one, I may be able to hunt my local Target for one. If they have one and you're willing to cover shipping, I'll gladly send it your way.

In other news, collection complete! I feel like a dork for sleeping the cards, but they feel so awesome, haha.

seady

A question:

Is the figure purely gimmick? Any reason why can't the game just let you switch monster through a regular menu? What does the physical figure do to improve the game?

fernoca said:
Toys R Us is giving away the Adventure Pack 'Darklight Crypt' with purchases of any Starter Pack. Don't know if it's retroactive (i.e. go with your receipt if you recently got it and get the pack).
What if I got the game with the buy 2 get 1 free deal?

RobbieNick

seady said:
A question:

Is the figure purely gimmick? Any reason why can't the game just let you switch monster through a regular menu? What does the physical figure do to improve the game?

Basically, every figure is it's own unlock key. You put the figure on the portal of power and you can play as that character and get a challenge level unlocked. However, you need that figure to stay on the portal in order to keep using it.

BooJoh

seady said:
A question:

Technically yes, the figure is a gimmick and there's no reason they couldn't have just had every character playable or unlockable within the game. But they probably wouldn't have.

The way I see it, the figures are like character DLC, which would normally cost like $5 and just give you a playable character. Instead, for $8 you get the playable character and a cool figurine of them as well.

I suppose one thing it adds is the ability to take your own figure - which stores its stats and such internally - over to a friend's house and play multiplayer on their console with your own character, but I have a feeling not many adults are going to utilize that particular benefit. You do have the benefit of being able to bring characters back and forth between console and 3DS versions though.

fernoca

Outtrigger888 said:
What if I got the game with the buy 2 get 1 free deal?
No idea. My friend has the receipt of the transaction, since I got mine through that deal so he'll be asking during the following days.

seady said:
A question:

Well, see it as a card game. You get a starter pack and you play games that way. You either get more to improve your playthrough, plans, or for collection. There's no need to get them all, aside personal interest.

It is a gimmick in the sense that you can buy figures, but you don't have to (well, though on console you need a good amount for the last fight or a few but at max level).

Technically the game could've been made without figurines, same way as Guitar Hero or Rock Band could've been done without the instruments. In general it adds to the experience and helps to separate that product, from the way of similar ones. The console versions would've been placed as "kiddy Gauntlet" or "dumbed-down Torchlight; while the 3Ds version would've been "just like the original games with nothing new". The figures-aspects is what've gotten the interest of people that would've otherwise ignored this game; while getting the attention of a market that it's usually ignored by most publishers this days: kids.

bodine1231

The sickness continues... I think I have them all now except the 3DS exclusive and the variants which I don't care about. I finally found the Target exclusive today,they had about 6 there but not much else. Toys R Us is getting low on stock too,they had a guy there demoing the game with about 10 kids hanging around.

46be3ff1.jpg

Went to 4 stores looking for sonic boom. Went home with boomer and voodood :( store shelves are looking empty. Also tried to pick up the cryptic adventure pack and it was sold out. Seems that some characters are rare (undershipped) I think its time to start looking online

Liberty4all

Banned
nicoga3000 said:
If you aren't able to find one, I may be able to hunt my local Target for one. If they have one and you're willing to cover shipping, I'll gladly send it your way.

In other news, collection complete! I feel like a dork for sleeping the cards, but they feel so awesome, haha.

Hey I appreciate. Going to see if there is any other way but I just might end up taking you up on the offer.

bodine1231 said:
The sickness continues... I think I have them all now except the 3DS exclusive and the variants which I don't care about. I finally found the Target exclusive today,they had about 6 there but not much else. Toys R Us is getting low on stock too,they had a guy there demoing the game with about 10 kids hanging around.

46be3ff1.jpg

Do you already have Drobot, illest of the Skylanders?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation on the web game. It seems neat enough, but is there anything that carries over from it to the console game? I added some of my characters via the portal, but they all seemed to be level 1, and when i took them back to the console there wasn't really anything that had changed. Not sure if I'll stick with the web game unless there's some sort of persistent progress that can be made.

fernoca

Jack Mehoffer said:
There doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation on the web game. It seems neat enough, but is there anything that carries over from it to the console game? I added some of my characters via the portal, but they all seemed to be level 1, and when i took them back to the console there wasn't really anything that had changed. Not sure if I'll stick with the web game unless there's some sort of persistent progress that can be made.
Not aware of anything at the moment, though leveling system is different. What ever experience/levels you gain on the webgame; stay on the webgame. You character's console/3DS/PC game-level/stats are displayed/shown in a separate screen as additional info.

JMizzlin

So Skylanders is selling well, hey? No chance of a price drop any time soon then?

I was surprised to see a kid walking around a mall here in Australia with some figures. Didn't really think it'd take off. I'm glad though, it looks cool.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Bamelin said:
Hey I appreciate. Going to see if there is any other way but I just might end up taking you up on the offer.

Sure thing - I'll keep an eye out just in case. Also, regarding the web game, I'm not sure I even get it. I was running around with one of my guys, but I'm not sure how to really make any sort of "progress". Then again, I didn't really put much time into it...not sure if I will, either.

BooJoh

I haven't tried the web game yet. There's a stat for it displayed on the games, but I don't think it affects anything. I guess I just haven't gotten around to trying the web version because I have the real thing to play :p

blackflag

I guess I'm gonna get this. Tried to get it during the buy 1 get 1 glitch today at target but it was already fixed...anyway they had a station there and I was watching the demos. Looks really fun for my 4 year old and I to play with together. It looks surprisingly good actually. The art style is very WOW like and I've always liked that cartoony style.

Guess I'll see if they still have that deal at Toys R Us tomorrow.

fernoca

Darn it, 5-3 on the 3DS game still kicking my ass. :( ..and I'm glad is doing it. XD
So many rotating platforms, clouds with lightning, enemies... so little time. XD

thebeeks

Banned
Went to four Targets in the area looking for Whirlwind this weekend, found one at the last Target. The two local Wal Marts don't even carry Skylanders (other than the game/starter pack) so I'm not even gonna attempt to seek out Drill Sergeant for a good long while.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
20111030231112.jpg

Final package should be here soooooon. Can't wait to get Drobot, Stump Smash, and Flameslinger! And the Darklight Crypt should be fun, too. I love having 3 Spyro's, haha.

RobbieNick

fernoca said:
Darn it, 5-3 on the 3DS game still kicking my ass. :( ..and I'm glad is doing it. XD
So many rotating platforms, clouds with lightning, enemies... so little time. XD

I'm really surprised at the challenge the 3DS version provides. It's a really solid platformer.

BTW, on the final ice level. I can find the seeker, but not the key. Anyone know where the key is?

Showed this off to several family members and friends.

All have agreed that this is marketing genius and should have been done years ago.

I just feel they could have fleshed out the Skylanders themselves in-game. I mean...is this REALLY Spyro's Adventure?

Takao

Banned
Does Spyro speak in the console versions? In the 3DS version he doesn't. If you took out Spyro nothing would've been different.

RobbieNick said:
BTW, on the final ice level. I can find the seeker, but not the key. Anyone know where the key is?

It's on a rock pillar. It's really easy to miss, so I suggest making sure you look over each area.

RobbieNick

Takao said:
Does Spyro speak in the console versions? In the 3DS version he doesn't. If you took out Spyro nothing would've been different.

Only when you first put him on the portal of power. He might say something like "All fired up!" or "It's showtime!" That's really the extent of it.

Takao said:
So this isn't a Spyro game at all, but likely another Kirby's Epic Yarn situation.

Good going Activision.
Not quite. I believe that the new Spyro game was originally going to be darker. It was changed after initial tests. Toys for Bob then pitched the toy idea. I'm guessing they made spyro less focused so they could market the other characters more easily. A little shame he is just another skylander though.

Ken

What are some of the cooler figures to get? Think I'll get this for someone as a Christmas gift along with some of the separate figures.

RobbieNick

Ken said:
What are some of the cooler figures to get? Think I'll get this for someone as a Christmas gift along with some of the separate figures.

Drobot is the best. He's half dragon, half robot. My other favorites are Bash, Zap and Stealth Elf.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ken said:

Drobot is pretty popular, I just haven't loaded him up yet. Stealth Elf and Trigger Happy are really fun, but there are a LOT of great ones available. If you can, the Legendar Pack at TRU has three great figures - Spyro, Bash, and Chop-Chop, all legendary color swapped. Those three all have different styles...Spyro is all-around, Bash is tanky, and Chop-Chop is melee/quick/DPS feeling.

Just my thoughts!

BooJoh

My favorites are Stealth Elf, Ignitor,and Sonic Boom. I also like Drobot, but I haven't devoted a lot of time to most of the figures yet. They all seem pretty fun though, some just feel really weak without upgrades.

bodine1231

Ken said:

Drobot and Fireslinger are the two most op'd right now. Drobot because of his super lazers and Fireslinger,once upgraded with exploding triple arrows kills everything before they appear on screen.

All done for now. Not sure if I'm gonna bite on the next wave because I'll be burnt out on leveling all these guys up. I was surprised at how long it takes to fully level and upgrade each character. I really hope they come out with some DLC levels or something that also adds alot of challenge because the first 15 levels are VERY easy.

c84ca3bb.jpg

Edit: And I tried the webgame out,its shit.

Ken

Any chance the figures could become rare by Christmas? Not sure if I should get them now or wait until it's closer to December.

Are figures tied to gamertags? So if I use a Spyro figure on my gamertag, would someone else be able to use the same figure and get a vanilla Spyro without any leveling up from my game?

ravien56

So I guess the 3ds version, there isn’t branching upgrades? What if I upgrade my guy to level 10 then decide to buy the ps3 version later on, will they present the branches in the console version? Having a blast so far with the 3ds version. Have so far the legendary 3 pack, going to head to Walmart later today and get Drill Sargeant.

rukland

Ken said:
Any chance the figures could become rare by Christmas? Not sure if I should get them now or wait until it's closer to December.

Are figures tied to gamertags? So if I use a Spyro figure on my gamertag, would someone else be able to use the same figure and get a vanilla Spyro without any leveling up from my game?

The figures store all there info on a chip in the base. So once you start leveling it it's there. Not sure if there is a way to wipe them or not.

fernoca

rukland said:
The figures store all there info on a chip in the base. So once you start leveling it it's there. Not sure if there is a way to wipe them or not.
Yep, you can reset/erase them in the game.

rukland

fernoca said:
Yep, you can reset/erase them in the game.

Ok sweet I did not know as I only got to play it a bit when I was visiting a friend who had picked it up. I have a copy but it's earmarked for the daughter for Christmas so I have not been able to really play around with it much. Loved what I got to see thou.

Ken

Hmm, how do I know what's in each character pack or is there a catalog of them all? I found a wiki with the 32 skylanders but it doesn't say which comes from which pack.

Ken said:
Hmm, how do I know what's in each character pack or is there a catalog of them all? I found a wiki with the 32 skylanders but it doesn't say which comes from which pack.

the first page of this thread has a good reference.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Why?! Why did I click on this thread?! Now I gotta go buy this shit and collect it.

Full disclosure: I am a (soon to be on 11/11) 37 year old male, with a wife and no kids.

Top Bottom