• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

BooJoh

ravien56 said:
So I guess the 3ds version, there isn’t branching upgrades? What if I upgrade my guy to level 10 then decide to buy the ps3 version later on, will they present the branches in the console version? Having a blast so far with the 3ds version. Have so far the legendary 3 pack, going to head to Walmart later today and get Drill Sargeant.
Since you can't collect gold on 3DS, you get all your upgrades from levelling and the one scroll. If you max out a character on 3DS and then bring them onto PS3, they'll be level 10 on PS3, but won't have any of their ability upgrades until you collect gold and buy the abilities, along with choosing your branching path. In that sense, the only thing that carries between 3DS and PS3 is experience and the hat they're currently wearing. (They can continue wearing that hat, but if you want to change hats, you can only change to what's unlocked on the current system you're playing on.)

P90

My wife and I just picked up the 360 and 3DS versions along with the TRU Legendaries for our kids (and me) for Christmas. I picked up Whirlwind from Target today for my daughter. She loves dragons, unicorns and rainbows. Perfect match.

Hawk269

Diseased Yak said:
Why?! Why did I click on this thread?! Now I gotta go buy this shit and collect it.

Full disclosure: I am a (soon to be on 11/11) 37 year old male, with a wife and no kids.

It's ok man. I am 44 and no kids and I am loving the game and have all the figures that they have put out. The game is just pure fun and alot different from all the other games that are out right now. I do wish there was more levels and perhaps a difficulty selection. I also think that with the success of the game that we will get some software updates (more levels etc.). Perhaps a way for them to increase the level cap on the figures as more adventures are released.

fernoca

Ken said:
Thanks.

Looks like the only way to get Ignitor is through the 3DS starter pack? ]:
I'm still checking around for updates, but sometimes I find one source with no evidence of if it;s exclusive to that store, or something.

For example, Stealth Elf can be bought outside the 3DS Starter Pack and I've seen pics of the packaging online; but no word of it been exclusive to one store or region or something; so haven't updated that bit...yet. Haven't seen stuff about Ignitor outisde the 3DS version though.

Finally, a new review for the 3DS version, posted in the main post: Modojo - 80/100

Naturally, you don't have to spend a penny more than the initial $69.99, but here's the thing. There's no denying that all of these characters look cool, and that's only the half of it. Each Skylander posseses unique attacks and abilities that prove useful against enemies, allowing them to experience levels in different ways. Slowly, the thought of picking up just one pack gets to you.

That, however, is a true testament not to the concept as a whole, but the actual game, which Vicarious Visions did a wonderful job designing. It's definitely one of the best looking and playing 3DS efforts to date, and we absolutely love the use of glasses free 3D, which doesn't hurt our eyes like games past. Finally, a third party showpiece for the hardware that speaks to Nintendo's vision.

With this in mind, we wholeheartedly recommend Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, whether you're a kid or, like us, kids at heart.

So I picked up Drobot last night as I needed a tech type, really wanted to get Drill Sargent but couldn't be bothered hunting down a Big W to get one. Drobot seem cool but I'm not a fan of the design of the character. That said its nice to have another flying one to play with. So I still need a Water and an Undead. I really like the look of Hex and want to get her when she comes out but I'm going to get the Darklight Crypt Adventure pack soon so I'll have Ghost Roaster.

Just on the fence about a Water type now, I'll prob end up getting the 360 version so I'll have Gill Grunt but I wouldn't mind getting Zap as he looks cool. I'm prob going to end up getting 2 or 3 of every type some of them just look soo cool.

Out of interest on the 360 version there isn't an achievement for collecting all of the Skylanders is there? If so I'm going to be very very broke soon :(

And yay for another 3DS review, I can't believe its taking soo long for these reviews to come out. Its like the major sites are just ignoring it. Heck Nintendo Life doesn't even have a review up for it yet and they are usually very very good with getting 3DS reviews up early for games. Sites like IGN, Gamespot and 1up really need to pick up their slack and get some reviews out for this game, its been out for over 2 weeks now and nothing from them.

bodine1231

Worthintendo said:
So I picked up Drobot last night as I needed a tech type, really wanted to get Drill Sargent but couldn't be bothered hunting down a Big W to get one. Drobot seem cool but I'm not a fan of the design of the character. That said its nice to have another flying one to play with. So I still need a Water and an Undead. I really like the look of Hex and want to get her when she comes out but I'm going to get the Darklight Crypt Adventure pack soon so I'll have Ghost Roaster.

Just on the fence about a Water type now, I'll prob end up getting the 360 version so I'll have Gill Grunt but I wouldn't mind getting Zap as he looks cool. I'm prob going to end up getting 2 or 3 of every type some of them just look soo cool.

And yay for another 3DS review, I can't believe its taking soo long for these reviews to come out. Its like the major sites are just ignoring it. Heck Nintendo Life doesn't even have a review up for it yet and they are usually very very good with getting 3DS reviews up early for games. Sites like IGN, Gamespot and 1up really need to pick up their slack and get some reviews out for this game, its been out for over 2 weeks now and nothing from them.

Zap is an amazing character once upgraded.

Just got 1000/1000 on 360. Terrafin is my hero, he rocked that whole final fight as my Skylander of choice with no swapping. I did have a +20 crit pirate hat on him.

Infinitemadness said:
Just got 1000/1000 on 360. Terrafin is my hero, he rocked that whole final fight as my Skylander of choice with no swapping. I did have a +20 crit pirate hat on him.

What upgrade path did you take?

Naito

Infinitemadness said:
In which chapter do you get the pirate hat? I didn't find it :(

bodine1231

Captain N said:
The level packs are DLC and I'm sure they'll continue to release them through the figures in the future as well.

Those levels are on the disc though,I'm talking new non-disc content.

Captain N

bodine1231 said:
Those levels are on the disc though,I'm talking new non-disc content.

I know and this games focus is the toys. If they relese new DLC I don't see them release them without toys.

NavNucST3

...Sigh...so I bought this for my son for his birthday which is two weeks away. I'm thinking that maybe I should have just bought this for myself, lol. I can act like this is a new Kameo since I'm never going to get a "2" but even better with the collectable aspect. Can't wait until his birthday party is over and he (read: I) gets to play.

BooJoh

Diseased Yak said:
Is it possible to release non-disc DLC for the Wii or 3DS versions?

I'm gonna pick up the PS3 starter pack today.
I believe it's technically possible if they planned for it, but I'm not sure they did. Since the 3DS version lets you see the entire collection of characters and levels whether you have them or not, that suggests there won't be any more added. My guess is there will probably end up being a Skylanders 2 in the future which will be compatible with all current figures plus a new batch for that game only.

For now we just have two more Adventure packs coming (dragon level and snow level) and the rest of the announced figures, plus Legendary Trigger Happy.

eudaemonic said:
What upgrade path did you take?

I believe it was the hat from the Pirate adventure pack. The Life gate lead me to it.

As for upgrade path, I went with the burrowing path...sandhog? Crazy helpful to send baby sharks at the minions while hitting them with my Razorfin. Then, belly flop when its safe.

fernoca

Diseased Yak said:
Is it possible to release non-disc DLC for the Wii or 3DS versions?
Yep. There are Wii and 3DS games with downloadable content.
(ex. Dead or Alive Dimensions -3DS- had 34 alternate costumes for free, downloaded automatically every day. On Guitar Hero/Rock Band -Wii- you could purchase/download new songs from the store. on Final Fantasy My Life as King -Wii- you could buy new items and stuff...and some more games.)

Overall it is possible, but doesn't mean they will..or on any platform for that matter, only time will tell.

Nintendo Power reviewed the game and gave it a 7.0 according to the recently posted thread. But no other details about which version (guess it was Wii). Will update when I receive the issue...one of this days (or if I see it online). :p

Really cool video of Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure lead artist I-Wei Huang as he drawsl 32 characters from the game(s) in less than 5 minutes!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Picked up the PS3 starter set, Drobot, and Whirlwind at Target today. I'm excited to start it up, but Uncharted 3 is probably going to command some time tonight as well...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well I pulled the Trigger.

PS3, 3DS starter kits (figured what the heck with Target doing the buy 2 get 1 free on all games. Got Battlefield 3 PS as my freebie). Got Whirlwind and the Drobot +2 others 3 pack.

EDIT: Also, a new POP set up at Wal-Mart said Drill Sergeant is exclusive only until the end of the year. Don't know if that applies to the other store exclusives as well or not.

BooJoh

DrForester said:
So is the 3DS portal just a POS? Have to pop the figure on it 5 or 6 times before it actually reads...
I haven't had any problems with it. Make sure you're lining up the 3DS's IR port next to the stylus slot with the portal's IR port. I hold the system right next to the portal with the top left corner of the system touching the green triangle on the portal.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BooJoh said:
I haven't had any problems with it. Make sure you're lining up the 3DS's IR port next to the stylus slot with the portal's IR port. I hold the system right next to the portal with the top left corner of the system touching the green triangle on the portal.

Seems to work better if I don't have it plugged into USB, but use the battery. The 3DS reads it, just nothing happens most the time when I toss a toy onto it.

BooJoh

DrForester said:
Seems to work better if I don't have it plugged into USB, but use the battery. The 3DS reads it, just nothing happens most the time when I toss a toy onto it.
I don't think you're meant to sync to the 3DS while it's plugged into USB.. pretty sure the USB is just for using it with the web game.

fernoca

Yeah, you're not supposed to use the USB Cables in the 3DS version-portal, aside for the web/PC game.
The manual also says the same and to not use it while connected to the USB/PC. Is just: put the 3-AAA batteries, turn it on before use, line up the IR and put the figure.

Briarios

Haha just got a text from my gf: do we have voodoo, flameslinger, zap or boomer?

Me: no

Her: we do now

I have a cool gf :D still waiting of Warnado to arrive, though ... Hopefully, soon?

fernoca

lawblob said:
Any deals / sales on the 3DS version?
Nothing..yet.
The closest is still Sam's Club selling them for $65..which is $5 less.

Guess by Black Friday or during the holidays when the new figures are released.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
lawblob said:
Any deals / sales on the 3DS version?

Target has a buy two get one free sale going on 3 (all games, all platforms). Could get a console version, 3DS version and a free game.

Zing

Banned
I see almost no mention of the Wii version in this thread. From what I read in reviews, it seems like a perfectly viable option. Is the lack of mention here just due to most GAF users not owning or caring for the Wii?

I came into this thread feeling nausea at seeing the new look of Spyro. Now I am considering buying into this.

izakq

Zing said:
I see almost no mention of the Wii version in this thread. From what I read in reviews, it seems like a perfectly viable option. Is the lack of mention here just due to most GAF users not owning or caring for the Wii?

I came into this thread feeling nausea at seeing the new look of Spyro. Now I am considering buying into this.

I have mentioned that I have the Wii version, and it looks pretty good. The only thing is make sure you get some rechargable batteries and backups, cause the portal will go through them quickly.

I'm playing the Wii version myself, it's perfectly fine within the usual Wii constraints related to the hardware, with the added bonus of Waggle(tm).

Zing

Banned
9:30AM, I discover this thread.

Two hours later…

Curse you, NeoGAF!

(I'm headed to Walmart after lunch.)

fernoca

Well done Zing! :p
If you have a 3DS, remember that that version is a different/separate game too. ;)

But yeah, Wii and 3Ds version has been quite ignored, not by GAF I'd say but by the media in general. Toys for Bob mentioned there are some differences between the Wii and other console versions, but so far none of them has mentioned anything about it. IGN said that their review was going to be ready "by the end of this week"...3 weeks ago and is not like the game's really long or needs every figure in order to be finished ; much less 100%.

But overall, the game seems to be selling well and overall impressions and word of mouth has been more than positive; which in the end that's what matters. :)

Zing

Banned
Damn you, NeoGAF!

A couple are duplicates from my earlier shopping trip, but I save $4 overall by buying the three-pack instead of individually. I wish the individual price was at least $1 less, because I would prefer to have them individual, but it's not worth the extra money to me. That $4 saved can go toward half of another figure.

Anyone have a list of which figures come in three-packs? I have only seen three different three-packs so far:
Drobot, Flame Slinger, Stump Smash
Eruptor, Chop Chop, Bash
Prism Break, Boomer, Voodood

There has to be more three-packs. None of the ones I have seen contain any air/wind/sky/whatever type figures.

I did appreciate that the Drill Sergeant "exclusive" is just a sticker on the packaging that I can remove.

*edit* According to Amazon, those are the only three-packs available. Oh well.

Jerrek

Neo Member
Toys R Us also has a Legendary Spyro, Legendary Chop Chop, and Legendary Bash three pack.

I didn't so much want a second Spyro but the Legendary versions do have some cool alternate coloring (even in game) and now the wife has her own Spyro - She's more addicted to the game than I am!

Stopped by toys r us for the second day in a row and they got there shipment in and I grabbed the only sonic boom, and the cryptic adventure pack. Is igniter only available with the 3ds bundle?

Zing

Banned
I have tapped out my local stores. I stopped at Best Buy and they had all the figures I have seen at Toys R Us, Walmart, Future Shop, and EB Games today. Plus they had Stealth Elf, which I snagged.

So I have every figure available at every store within walking distance of my house. Yes, all of those stores are within a block of each other and I live directly behind the Walmart.

You could say I went balls deep. Blind.

Anyone have the Target exclusive "Whirlwind"? I'm curious if it has the exact same french/english packaging as the figures here in Canada. I am assuming so.

Actually, I just checked the Target website and the answer is "yes". WTF? "Not sold in stores", yet out of stock on the website? Who is in charge of stocking the online store over there? My local Walmart had a dozen of their exclusive. Target isn't even shipping these to stores and they can't keep it in stock?

I am also wondering about "Ignitor". If it is 3DS only, that blows.

I just noticed that Walmart includes Drill Sergeant with the purchase of a starter kit. Oops. I bought my starter at TRU and the Drill Sergeant separately. I'll have to check into that.

fernoca

Ignitor and Dark Spyro are 3DS exclusive at the moment.
"Regular" Spyro and Gill Grunt are console/PC exclusive at the moment too.

Guess they might be sold by separate at some point. Stealth Elf (3DS) and Trigger Happy (consoles/PC) are already sold standalone.

BooJoh

Zing said:
The previews of the game seemed to focus a lot on the Wii version. I think the lack of attention it gets here isn't so much about people not owning/liking Wii, but more about the fact that most of us here probably own a PS3 or 360, even if we do have a Wii, and given the choice would rather play the game in HD. Waggle also factored into my choice, because I've grown to really dislike unnecessary motion controls.

Also the 360 version doesn't eat batteries.

fernoca

Well, IGN finally posted the review...for the console versions: 8.0
Sadly, while it is a positive review; the actual review was a little disappointing since it was really general in terms of what it says. No mention of differences between platforms, portals..just something general. Nothing personal, but for something nearly 3 weeks late one would've expected some more details.

6 Hours into the 3DS game and I'm still having a blast, I only have 8 Skylanders and just having fun messing around going back to older levels, leveling guys up and unlocking stuff. Still havent finished the main game yet, only about halfway through the last Ruins.

I gotta say I think this is the most fun I've had from an original 3DS game since the system came out, why can't more publishers be putting this kind of effort into the 3DS at the moment. Its so hard to put this game down, and I know when I do get some more Skylanders next week I'm just going to be spending ages leveling them up as well.

RobbieNick

Worthintendo said:
6 Hours into the 3DS game and I'm still having a blast, I only have 8 Skylanders and just having fun messing around going back to older levels, leveling guys up and unlocking stuff. Still havent finished the main game yet, only about halfway through the last Ruins.

I gotta say I think this is the most fun I've had from an original 3DS game since the system came out, why can't more publishers be putting this kind of effort into the 3DS at the moment. Its so hard to put this game down, and I know when I do get some more Skylanders next week I'm just going to be spending ages leveling them up as well.

3DS version is a surprisingly high quality platformer. More challenging than I was expecting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So how does the 3DS version update the data on the figures? Just updates next time it's loaded up on the portal?

fernoca

DrForester said:
So how does the 3DS version update the data on the figures? Just updates next time it's loaded up on the portal?
Yep. If you want to update the figure, just sent/put it back into the portal.

Zing

Banned
I finally cracked open the Wii version game and played with a friend through the first three levels. We just used the starter characters, but we swapped them when it was appropriate. Of course, we found a soul gem (or whatever they are called) for Stump Smash, so I will be opening the three-pack containing him tomorrow.

We found the game to be very fun and can't wait to play again tomorrow. It was very easy of course, but that is exactly what we needed. My friend is almost a total newbie to video games in general, and my six-year-old daughter should just be able to navigate through the game.

Contrary to the opinions shared here, I like that the text is un-skippable. It prevents an over-zealous co-op player from skipping the story, accidentally or otherwise. The story is serviceable. I'm not sure why the developers continued to associate the game with Spyro, since he is just a foot soldier like any of the others. Even the official art has Stealth Elf front and centre.

I am playing the game on a standard 4:3 CRT and it looks great. I did notice aliasing at the beginning, but it isn't very prominent now.

One thing of note: the OP should be updated to say that the wireless versions of the game (PS3 and Wii) do not come with a USB cable. I was expecting the portal to be identical to the other portals, but with an additional wireless USB adapter. Instead, it comes with a unique portal that not only does not include a standard USB cable, but it doesn't even have a USB port! It's wireless only.

Top Bottom