• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

BooJoh

Nintendolife has their reviews up for both versions. 8/10 for both Wii and 3DS.

http://wii.nintendolife.com/reviews/2011/11/skylanders_spyros_adventure_wii

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/reviews/2011/11/skylanders_spyros_adventure_3ds

webrunner said:
Huh, apparently flying skylanders can go over water so you dont need to swim. That'll come in handy when doing coop since we just have gill grunt.
This is true, but I don't think they can go into the whirlpool teleports some water gates have.

Jerrek

Neo Member
FYI,

It looks like Amazon has most of their individual figures back in stock and some of the three packs and the Pirate Seas pack.

No wave 2 figures to be found though.

BooJoh

wylikat said:
Amazon UK reports that new 3 packs will be on the way.
They will apparently include Hex/Zap/Dinorang and Sealth Elf/Wrecking Ball/Sonic Boom.
Which basically means buying Wrecking Ball separately and hoping you haven't picked up Zap yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skylanders-Spyros-Adventure-Character-Dinorang/dp/B0064XHVEK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1320864420&sr=8-5
Well that's pretty disappointing. I've bought all of wave 1, so both of the new 3-packs have figures I already bought separately.

Zing

Banned
I don't know if there is a "street date" that stores are supposed to be adhering to, but Nov 14 has been the date thrown around by Amazon and other retailers.

chiQ

chiQ said:
I asked and they said 'every few minutes', so I asked what that means. I'll post back when I get useful information.

ActivisionSupport said:
Data is saved to the toy after events like the following:
Gain a level
Collect 100 of either treasures or gold
Buy upgrades
Equip a Hat
Change the Champion’s name or owner
Champion is reset or placed on the Portal of Power for the first time
Receive a reward (Stat boost when completing a Challenge)

It will also auto save save after about 30 seconds. Just be careful not to rapidly switch between Skylanders if you're worried you'll lose something.

By the way, Skylanders saves game content at specific points of the game and if you are playing on a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, you will need to be signed in to a profile.

Skylanders saves at the following points in the game:
1. Beginning of a level
2. When completing a challenge
3. When collecting an important item
4. When completing a level

Zing

Banned
My girlfriend and I are up to chapter 13, I believe. We have used every character except Terrafin so far and a few characters are level five.

fernoca

So, managed to convince a friend to lend me the Wii version for sometimes. He was playing with his daughter, but since they're not giving her more figures until Christmas...she got bored. :p

But since the figures are hers, I was only given the game. So I'm using the 3DS portal on Wii and the 3-3DS starters. Dark Spyro was already Level 10, Stealth Elf was 8 (now 9) and Ignitor was Level 1, now 2.

The portal to my surprise (and like Boojoh noted) works the same way; by connecting it to the USB port. You can even remove the batteries. Since the portal is smaller, 1 figure fits well, 2 figures fit; but really close to each other.

The Levels gained on the 3DS aside maximum health, don't do much when it comes to other aspects like defense, attack...plus as noted earlier; you have to earn the additional abilities and do heroic challenges to get better; which I like since I thought my Dark Spyro would make things a breeze and too easy.

Really pretty looking game too. Colorful, detailed, well animated and music's really nice.

Zing

Banned
I do find that you can gain experience very quickly when you do the heroics. You gain no loot in the heroics, but plenty of experience. You also gain experience easily when replaying previous levels.

We are still looking for a way to get behind that final locked gate on level 2. Arg.

I was lying in bed a while ago and suddenly realized that the long battles against Kaos' Skylander minions are all of the same type as the item you are trying to get. We just acquired the life source tonight, and I didn't realize at the time that the three opponents were all life type.

Need… more… figures!!

BooJoh

Zing said:
We are still looking for a way to get behind that final locked gate on level 2. Arg.
Spoiler on how to get there:
Bring a life (if I recall correctly) skylander into the level, a bridge magically appears at some point.

Zing

Banned

Well stocked with individual figures. Unfortunately, no new figures. They seem to have a lot of the legendary packs, but that's probably because few people buy them. I noticed they were out of the soft and hard carrying cases when they had about 4 of each the last time I looked.

Stopped by my local Target and looks like they got Hex there now too.

6334935355_9cbf7e89c3.jpg

Jerrek

Neo Member
Local Walmart had Wrecking Ball and Hex, picked up Hex for the wife. I'm occupying the main TV playing Skyrim though some can't check her out yet.. ;)

Zing

Banned
I have only used the undead figures once, during one of the "side portals" in level three. They are by far the least used element so far.

Picked up dino rang, hex, and wrecking ball at wal mart. I now have all the released figures in single packs, and the two adventure packs. Still undecided if I want the legendary 3 pack. Havnt opened a single thing ive bought, since its a christmas present.

Zing

Banned
I sincerely hope you don't die or fall critically ill before then, because you are missing out on a goddamn fun game! Life is too short to wait for an arbitrary date to begin enjoying something like this.

After playing for the past week with my girlfriend, I finally had a chance to try it with my six-year-old daughter. I was initially concerned that she wouldn't be able to control the game very well, and even more that she would be scared of the enemies. She performed much better than I could have wanted. She was even able to use the bounce pads effectively, push turtles around, and was having fun using the keys and opening chests.

It all seems so simple to people like myself, who were actually hooking up their own Coleco Vision at age six and playing through classic games like Donkey Kong Jr and Moon Patrol. My daughter has watched quite a bit of game playing, but has been hesitant to actually pick up the controller. Over the past year she has been more bold, taking control of Spyro (in the original PlayStation games) or Mario (Galaxy).

She doesn't like "dying" in any games. Skylanders is pretty much perfect for her. The game never allows you to fall to your death. The "invisible walls" keep you on all of the platforms. Items get sucked to you, so you don't need to be pixel perfect. The bounce pads angle you in the proper direction.

She did get a little nervous when we first encountered enemies, but she quickly gained confidence, thanks to the partial auto-aim. Her favourite characters so far are Sonic Boom and Zap. We finished chapter 3 and she wanted to keep going, but it was dinner time.

What a great game.

Also went out looking for Hex today at TRU here in southern Maine but no dice. Will check again tomorrow at some other places. Picked up the undead tri-pack and a free fire character to complete our set given TRU was running the "buy $20 pack get a free character" thing. A little annoyed that the level in the tri-pack is a battle arena and not a full SP level, but c'est la vie. Health potion is definitely handy for annoying six-stage boss fights.

I'm just doing the mole challenges with the train, so maybe chapter 15 or 16 or something? I've been looking for FAQs to figure out how far along I am (was hoping to finish a once-through before starting Skyrim, didn't happen).

My seven year old and four year old daughters play together, they usually just repeat the first few levels with the new figures as we buy them and as I unlock their abilities on my playthrough. They're only allowed to play a couple of hours a week of video games but they enjoy playing with the figures themselves throughout the house otherwise.

Zing

Banned
BriareosGAF said:
I'm just doing the mole challenges with the train, so maybe chapter 15 or 16 or something? I've been looking for FAQs to figure out how far along I am (was hoping to finish a once-through before starting Skyrim, didn't happen).

"Pirate Seas" is Chapter 24, so I assume there are 22-23 chapters in the main storyline.

*edit* There are 22 chapters in the main story. Pirate Seas is 24 and Darklight Crypt is 25.

BooJoh

BriareosGAF said:
Also went out looking for Hex today at TRU here in southern Maine but no dice. Will check again tomorrow at some other places. Picked up the undead tri-pack and a free fire character to complete our set given TRU was running the "buy $20 pack get a free character" thing. A little annoyed that the level in the tri-pack is a battle arena and not a full SP level, but c'est la vie.
The adventure packs unlock a PvP level in addition to the story mode level, don't they?

At any rate, if you bought Darklight Crypt, be assured there is a story mode level, and a pretty lengthy one at that. Once you've placed the level figure on the portal while in the hub world the crypt entrance appears in the top area behind the circular arch formation.

BooJoh said:
At any rate, if you bought Darklight Crypt, be assured there is a story mode level, and a pretty lengthy one at that. Once you've placed the level figure on the portal while in the hub world the crypt entrance appears in the top area behind the circular arch formation.
Great, thanks for the heads up, we missed this somehow. Off to go find Hex ;).

Edit: Finally found her at Wal-Mart; TRU and Target were no-go. Just need Cynder and we'll have completed the ladies set.

BooJoh

I just finished the main story mode. I still have a lot of stuff to go back and collect to 3-star the levels, but I think I'll wait until I get some more figures.

Zing

Banned
I'm going back and re-doing some of the levels for the stars, but I also plan on waiting until I have a few more figures before going at it hardcore. Same with the heroics. The heroics seem to dump so much experience that I don't want to make the campaign too easy by being over-leveled.

I stopped at a Walmart that is something like 4x the size of my local store, and they had the smallest Skylanders display I have seen at any store so far. There were three tiny shelves, one with a few Voodoods and nothing else, one empty, and one with an adventure pack. It was ridiculous. The clerk there said he knew nothing about them and that was all they had.

Well I finally picked Skylanders up today, I've been eyeing it up for a while based on all the Giant Bomb coverage but finally took the plunge. What a delightful little game, it gives off a strong Lego game vibe and the figures are interesting enough for an adult to want to collect. Even the voice acting is of a good quality.

Speaking of these new figures, if they are starting to reach America has there been any word on when they'll be released in the UK? I'd quite like to pick up Hex.

chiQ

My starter pack arrived today. I came in to work and found it on my desk. I'm sitting here twitching. It's only 10 AM here.

*tic*

fernoca

Azure Phoenix said:
Well I finally picked Skylanders up today, I've been eyeing it up for a while based on all the Giant Bomb coverage but finally took the plunge. What a delightful little game, it gives off a strong Lego game vibe and the figures are interesting enough for an adult to want to collect. Even the voice acting is of a good quality.

Speaking of these new figures, if they are starting to reach America has there been any word on when they'll be released in the UK? I'd quite like to pick up Hex.
Yeah, for a game that started quite small and Wii-only, guess Activision liked what they saw and committed more resources on it; and made it multi too. So far it seems to be paying off ton top of the game been great too.

Amazon.uk currently lists Hex included in a triple pack ...for release in February 2012.

chiQ said:
My starter pack arrived today. I came in to work and found it on my desk. I'm sitting here twitching. It's only 10 AM here.

*tic*
Nice! 3DS or consoles/PC?

Zing

Banned
I have played this quite a bit with my daughter over the weekend. Today, we reached General Robot and that will be it for a few days. In my co-op game with my girlfriend, we had just recovered the gear, so we are only one level later. That means my figures have been through about half of the game twice now. The highest level one is Sonic Boom at level seven.

Just bought the hover upgrade for Drobot and it makes him a killing machine. Brass knuckles on Terrafin are hilarious.

Really going to need new figures dammit.

Any UK GAFers seen any new Skylanders lately? I'd love to get my son Wrecking Ball, Hex and Dinorang but haven't spotted any of them in the wild.

Zoibie

Azure Phoenix said:

Where did you get it from? Found any good UK deals?

gaf-census for this?
I've no kids, the gal i'm currently going out with can't stand games, so this would be something i'd playing by myself.. still worth it?

fernoca

witchedwiz said:
gaf-census for this?
I've no kids, the gal i'm currently going out with can't stand games, so this would be something i'd playing by myself.. still worth it?
Yeah. The game's fun and well made anyway; if you like hack'n'slash games like Gauntlet; then go for it. (3DS game is closer to the original Crash games with lots of platforming and long-corridors + enemies)

chiQ

This business model definitely works. I went out at lunchtime and bought a three-pack (Prism Break, Boomer, Voodood). I haven't even played the game yet.

The store only had the first two three-packs, but they had around a dozen individual toys. I don't think people are going for them though. They also had the tower case, which seems excessively expensive, and painfully kid-oriented. That along with the fact that when I signed up on their site I was asked for a 'parental email address', rather than my own is a bit of a hint that they really don't rate this as an adult title.

Thankfully I work with gamers who won't laugh at me and my Skylanders-cluttered desk...

BooJoh

Just got back from my local Wal-Mart. The display was still picked clean like the last couple times I went, but this time they had about 2 each of Wrecking Ball, Dino-Rang, and Hex. So now I'm caught up on the figures and just hoping they put out some more before Christmas.

BooJoh said:
Just got back from my local Wal-Mart. The display was still picked clean like the last couple times I went, but this time they had about 2 each of Wrecking Ball, Dino-Rang, and Hex. So now I'm caught up on the figures and just hoping they put out some more before Christmas.

Gawdammit! I stopped at mine last night (as well as Toys R Us, Target, Best Buy, and for shit and giggles - Frys) and nothing. Toys R Us has the best overall selection but no new ones and Walmart was picked clean of everything. *shakes fist*

bumpkin

I keep hearing more and more good things about this game. I'm really debating either picking it up or putting it on the ol' Christmas wish list for family to possibly get for me. What I'm really debating though is the platform... I've heard about how the figures make it so your character progress is transferrable from version to version. That's really cool.

What I'm on the fence about is whether I want it on the 360/PS3 or on the 3DS. Does anyone know how they compare? I mean obviously the 3DS isn't as powerful, but is there really much of a difference? I recall the 3DS version of LEGO Star Wars III being drastically different - entire levels were missing or replaced - so I'm curious if Skylanders is a similar situation.

witchedwiz said:
gaf-census for this?

To answer your question... yes.

However, I feel like this post is foreshadowing a future thread that addresses this whole "girlfriend not liking games" thing.

If she doesn't like Skylanders, she has no soul and you should kick her to the curb. *chuckles*

fernoca

bumpkin said:
I keep hearing more and more good things about this game. I'm really debating either picking it up or putting it on the ol' Christmas wish list for family to possibly get for me. What I'm really debating though is the platform... I've heard about how the figures make it so your character progress is transferrable from version to version. That's really cool.

What I'm on the fence about is whether I want it on the 360/PS3 or on the 3DS. Does anyone know how they compare? I mean obviously the 3DS isn't as powerful, but is there really much of a difference? I recall the 3DS version of LEGO Star Wars III being drastically different - entire levels were missing or replaced - so I'm curious if Skylanders is a similar situation.
The 3DS version is a separate/different game altogether; it was the intention and was developed with that in mind.

See it this way:
3DS = Crash (PSone era, narrow corridors, bottomless pits, lots of platforming/jumping)
Others: Gauntlet (hank-n-slash, grind, gain levels, experience to improve your abilities, collect treasures, etc.

There's some more info on the main post with some extra details too.

bumpkin

fernoca said:
The 3DS version is a separate/different game altogether; it was the intention and was developed with that in mind.

See it this way:
3DS = Crash (PSone era, narrow corridors, bottomless pits, lots of platforming/jumping)
Others: Gauntlet (hank-n-slash, grind, gain levels, experience to improve your abilities, collect treasures, etc.

There's some more info on the main post with some extra details too.
Ah, well that answers my question then. I want the Gauntlet-esque experience.

Thanks for clarifying! I'll definitely check out the OP to fill in the blanks. :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kmart has starter sets for $50 on Black Friday. And Singles for $5.

Best Buy giving away a 3 pack and Adventure set with purchase.

TRU is doing buy 1 get 1 free on all skylanders toys, and $20 off starter kits.

Zing

Banned
I think you would have to be at least a little bit insane to think you will get a significant deal on black friday. Unless you enjoy driving from store to store in the worst traffic of the year praying they have something, anything, other than 4 leftover copies of "Voodood".

Hobbun

Stopped at GS yesterday to pick up my Mario 3DS game and saw this. Hadn't heard anything about it before and was intrigued to say the least. I've always been a collector junkie and just loved the whole 'collecta-thon' with the figures. So I bought the original game (PS3 version) and three figures (so, six total)

Later in the day had to stop at Target and saw their display and their exclusive. Also, bought two more figures to round out all elements so I can open all (elemental) areas.

Finally played it last night with a friend of mine. And even though really easy so far (I know it's targeted towards kids), I have really have enjoyed it. I definitely agree with the Gauntlet vibe.

I have a total of 9 figures right now, but plan to stop after work to buy some more. :)

Zing

Banned
I checked out my Toys R Us today. They had clearly restocked since the weekend, as the hangers were jam packed with figures. Unfortunately, there were none of the three newest figures.

So much Voodood. He has to be the least desired figure. Every store I go to has several of that guy. Probably 1/3 of the TRU display was Voodood. The most rare seems to be Stealth Elf. It must strictly be due to looks, because Voodood is better in the actual game. Stealth Elf is one of the harder characters to play.

I find the most difficult character to play is Drill Sergeant. He is very "wide" and since his drills shoot from the sides, they tend to just hit walls or not shoot at all. And until you get the quick reload upgrade, you will do a lot of waiting for reloads. He does deal a lot of damage, but not any more than Gill Grunt, who is like a sniper.

Stump Smash is also a little difficult, since you have to actually hit the targets with your stumps. It isn't just an arbitrary hit box in front of the character.

Sonic Boom is clearly the easiest to play. She has auto-pilot chicks. She has a very wide, decent range, instant hit attack. Add in flying and she makes the game easy.

Overall, I find every character to be fun, with the exception of Terrafin.

BooJoh

Zing said:
I checked out my Toys R Us today. They had clearly restocked since the weekend, as the hangers were jam packed with figures. Unfortunately, there were none of the three newest figures.

So much Voodood. He has to be the least desired figure. Every store I go to has several of that guy. Probably 1/3 of the TRU display was Voodood. The most rare seems to be Stealth Elf. It must strictly be due to looks, because Voodood is better in the actual game. Stealth Elf is one of the harder characters to play.

I find the most difficult character to play is Drill Sergeant. He is very "wide" and since his drills shoot from the sides, they tend to just hit walls or not shoot at all. And until you get the quick reload upgrade, you will do a lot of waiting for reloads. He does deal a lot of damage, but not any more than Gill Grunt, who is like a sniper.

Stump Smash is also a little difficult, since you have to actually hit the targets with your stumps. It isn't just an arbitrary hit box in front of the character.

Sonic Boom is clearly the easiest to play. She has auto-pilot chicks. She has a very wide, decent range, instant hit attack. Add in flying and she makes the game easy.

Overall, I find every character to be fun, with the exception of Terrafin.
Stealth Elf gets easier with more upgrades. For me the hardest character to play as so far is probably Ignitor because his defense is just so low. Even at max upgrades he died pretty fast on the last boss for me.

On the other hand, Ghost Roaster feels extremely powerful. Skull Charge is bordering on overpowered since you can just activate it and then do a tight circle on an enemy for tons of damage.

But the easiest character to play I think for me is Trigger Happy. Just mash the shoot button as fast as you can and point in the right general direction and auto-aim will take care of the rest.

I haven't tried the new three yet, but Dino-Rang looks to have a lot of "easymode" potential, and Wrecking Ball looks like he'll be fun but may require some strategy.

Zoibie said:
Where did you get it from? Found any good UK deals?
To be honest I just took the lazy approach and bought it from work, 20% off brings almost everything down to cheaper than Amazon prices.

fernoca said:
Amazon.uk currently lists Hex included in a triple pack ...for release in February 2012.
That can't be right, surely? I doubt Activision would be stupid enough to wait until the craze has died before bringing out new figures.

Hobbun

Has anyone here gone to the website and start up an account and register your Skylanders, as well as play with some of the online mini-games?

I tried it a bit last night with Spyro and it was ok. But I do feel it is even more geared towards the kids (even more so than the game). Although I haven’t played too much with it, so not making a final judgement on that.

I will say I did have issues in adding a new Skylander through my Portal of Power. Installed the driver, and it registered my PoP was ready to go. However, when placing a Skylander on the PoP, nothing happened. It was as if the PoP wasn’t picking up my Skylander. Unlike when playing the game on my PS3, it worked just fine. Although I can still register my Skylanders as the code works just fine, just not when setting them on the PoP, for some reason.

Top Bottom