• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Is wrecking ball any good? I have a w pack with him,sonic boom and stealth elf. I was considering trying to buy stealth elf and sonic boom separately and returning the 3 pack. Also any thoughts on drill sergeant?

Found stump smash today. Now all I need is Whirlwind and my son will have all the starters ones he wants.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Darkjedi, I may have a Whirlwind for ya.

Wrecking Ball is okay. He's slow at first and dies easy. Once you start leveling him up, plus buying his abilities, he gets better. I prefer his Ultimate Spinner upgrade path, because he turns into a area of effect Skylander, instead of a turn and slurp Skylander.

Oh, and check this out guys.

http://fusible.com/2012/01/domains-show-activision-may-create-a-new-game-called-skylanders-giants/

Seems Activision is working on a sequel... MAYBE! If anyone remembers, in the first game, a story scroll mentions the most powerful Skylanders, were called the "Elder Elementals." These GIANTS, posessed the powers of light and darkness within their flesh.

Hmm...

In anycase, don't forget to check out the new pics I added to my post with pics. It's the last 3 in that revised post.

Double D

Is wrecking ball any good? I have a w pack with him,sonic boom and stealth elf. I was considering trying to buy stealth elf and sonic boom separately and returning the 3 pack. Also any thoughts on drill sergeant?

Found stump smash today. Now all I need is Whirlwind and my son will have all the starters ones he wants.

Wrecking Ball isn't the greatest Skylander, but the scenario you are talking about requires you to drive to the store to return the 3 pack, then find the two Skylanders on their own, which won't be the easiest thing. All so you can save, at most, $4.00. And if this is at Toys R Us, the single packs are $9.99.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Wrecking Ball isn't the greatest Skylander, but the scenario you are talking about requires you to drive to the store to return the 3 pack, then find the two Skylanders on their own, which won't be the easiest thing. All so you can save, at most, $4.00. And if this is at Toys R Us, the single packs are $9.99.

What Double D said. Unless wave 4+ (if they don't release the remaning figures in April's wave) contains a single pack Sonic Boom - which has actually been showing up at Walmarts and Toys R US stores - or Stealth Elf single pack, you won't get them any other way.

Like I said, if you're needing a Sonic Boom and Stealth Elf, it's best to eat the loss, and buy the triple pack.

I also just noticed that i got the 3 pack at TRU which charges $5 more. I called and asked them if they price match and they won't without an add even though everyone else in town has then for $19.99. I could have picked up the 3 pack today at Target, anyone know if these are in any ads? Frustrating!!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Not this week. Toys R Us flat out told me they jacked up the price, because stupid son of a ******* would pay for them. I guess I am one of those people.

However, they price matched me, because they know me and know stores sell them for their NORMAL price.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What Double D said. Unless wave 4+ (if they don't release the remaning figures in April's wave) contains a single pack Sonic Boom - which has actually been showing up at Walmarts and Toys R US stores - or Stealth Elf single pack, you won't get them any other way.

Like I said, if you're needing a Sonic Boom and Stealth Elf, it's best to eat the loss, and buy the triple pack.

Wait, so are you saying there isn't a such thing as a Stealth Elf single? Amazon has a listing for one but I haven't seen Amazon themselves with it in stock.

I'll be pretty annoyed if so. That's the last one I need now since Flameslinger and Chop Chop came today.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Wait, so are you saying there isn't a such thing as a Stealth Elf single? Amazon has a listing for one but I haven't seen Amazon themselves with it in stock.

I'll be pretty annoyed if so. That's the last one I need now since Flameslinger and Chop Chop came today.

No, there is a single pack, but it is WAYYY hard to get. It was part of wave 1, and when they boxed these as 12 to a box, she was 1 in every box. Same with Sonic Boom.

Now she is only available in the triple pack, unless she is released in a future wave, as a single pack again.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
No, there is a single pack, but it is WAYYY hard to get. It was part of wave 1, and when they boxed these as 12 to a box, she was 1 in every box. Same with Sonic Boom.

Now she is only available in the triple pack, unless she is released in a future wave, as a single pack again.

Damn. Then again, me and my roommate both managed to get Sonic Boom single packs on Amazon last week, so maybe it's possible. I'd like to avoid paying more than MSRP for any of them as I have so far, but I'll probably end up having to pay like 25 on eBay or something.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Keep in mind that the life element, like the wind element only has 2 characters released, so it's going to be hard to find. Especially since most everyone wants Stealth Elf over Stump Smash.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Damn. Then again, me and my roommate both managed to get Sonic Boom single packs on Amazon last week, so maybe it's possible. I'd like to avoid paying more than MSRP for any of them as I have so far, but I'll probably end up having to pay like 25 on eBay or something.

Well, like I am hooking Darkjedi up with a Whirlwind, I will hook you up with a Stealth Elf.

My daughter has a Stealth Elf back before she got her own 3DS copy of the game. That means I have an extra Stealth Elf sitting in her 3DS game packaging.

It will be loose, and be missing the stat card and sticker sheet, but won't be missing the webcode card. If you want it, it's yours for 8 bucks plus shipping.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well, like I am hooking Darkjedi up with a Whirlwind, I will hook you up with a Stealth Elf.

My daughter has a Stealth Elf back before she got her own 3DS copy of the game. That means I have an extra Stealth Elf sitting in her 3DS game packaging.

It will be loose, and be missing the stat card and sticker sheet, but won't be missing the webcode card. If you want it, it's yours for 8 bucks plus shipping.

That would be awesome. How much do you reckon shipping will be? It doesn't really make a difference, just curious.

Nobody around here has restocked at any point in time when I've actually checked. I thought about doing the "Buy a 3ds version to get the fire guy then sell the game and portal and other guys method" to get my kids a fire one, but with us getting ready to move that's just too much to do right now. I'll just hold out hope that I can find a Flameslinger somewhere.

You know, I used to buy and sell shit for a profit, but now that I have kids I am disgusted with the people that go in and buy entire boxes with the sole intention of selling them way marked up.

I'm about to give up on finding an Empire of Ice and Cynder (which my daughter so wants) completely.

Wait so how does the heroic challenge upgrade stuff work? Can you keep replaying the same challenge with one skylander and rack up points, or is it one and done for that specific skylander

GameMaster78

Neo Member
That would be awesome. How much do you reckon shipping will be? It doesn't really make a difference, just curious.

Well, based on the fact I've been helping others out. Shipping has been around 6.30-6.50.

If you're interested send me a PM with your shipping address, and I will reply with my fiancee's Paypal address. If not, and you would prefer to have a sealed one, then it's understandable.

EDIT: Outtrigger? Each Skylander can do each Heroic Challenge once, to receive that Heroic Challenge's reward (either armor, speed, critical hit, or elemental power). An example. There are currently 26 Heroic Challenges available, pending you have 26 unique Skylanders (ie no repaints). So, if I took Dark Spyro through all 26, and got all of the buff rewards from each one, I couldn't get that reward again. I could replay the levels for fun, but not get the reward with Dark Spyro, as there would be a check mark by each one of the Heroic Challenges, for Dark Spyro, meaning he got all of the rewards. Now, if you put on a different Skylander who hasn't gone through any Heroics, the bubble that displays the checkmark saying that Skylander had finished that level, would be empty of a checkmark.

In other words, each Skylander can do every Heroic Challenge as many times as they want. However, each Skylander will only get the reward from every Heroic Challenge once. Hats can further push stats, though. So if Ghost Roaster had a max of 80 speed after maxing out stats throught Heroic Challenges, he could wear the Lil Devil hat for an extra +9 speed, bringing him to 89 speed.

Thanks for the quick response, I've only been playing co-op with the wife and daughter so I havnt gotten to try them out. Really happy to know there's more meat to the game than i thought.

Zing

Banned
I strongly advise against doing any heroic challenges until you have completed the game. The heroic challenges appear to be intended to power level weak characters, probably to catch up to a friend's higher level character. The challenges aren't that difficult and hand out experience like candy.

If you do a bunch of the challenges before completing the game, you will just make an already easy game that much easier.

Also, once you have done a particular challenge a couple times, you may find yourself hesitant to do it again. As I said, they aren't that difficult, are relatively basic, and not very exciting once you have played through them twice.

I plan on taking Spyro through every challenge, but the other characters can just relax. My method is to play each character through their own heroic challenge, but that's it unless I am in the mood for more.

So, with the Heroic Challenges - to do all 26 you need all 26 characters, right? Sorry if that is a really silly question. If that is the case, it is a pretty ingenious mechanic as to upgrade your characters the most you will need to get every character. For instance, since I have 11 characters each character could only do 11 challenges, right?

I caved and ordered the Pirate adventure pack from Amazon. I also could make an excuse to go to Wal-Mart later but I really, really shouldn't. My wife does not approve of my hobby :).

GameMaster78

Neo Member
So, with the Heroic Challenges - to do all 26 you need all 26 characters, right? Sorry if that is a really silly question. If that is the case, it is a pretty ingenious mechanic as to upgrade your characters the most you will need to get every character. For instance, since I have 11 characters each character could only do 11 challenges, right?

I caved and ordered the Pirate adventure pack from Amazon. I also could make an excuse to go to Wal-Mart later but I really, really shouldn't. My wife does not approve of my hobby :).

Correct. Each Skylander, minus Dark Spyro and the Legendary characters, unlock a Heroic Challenge, that aky Skylander can go through and beef up stats.

It is advised, as the person said above, to hold off doing them until you beat the game.

Completely missed this game, but as I don't have kids I doubt I will be buying this. However, the moment I saw this I thought - OMFG, RL MOBA game!

I know it was already discussed in this thread, but it is very long and the OP was not updated: whick characters come in the wave 2 and 3 triple packs?

fernoca

I know it was already discussed in this thread, but it is very long and the OP was not updated: whick characters come in the wave 2 and 3 triple packs?
Working on a way to add that to the main post overt he last days, so not there ..yet. :p
Might end adding it just as text and removing the current graph (which I can't update anymore).

Anyway:

Wave II
New:
Wrecking Ball, Dino-Rang, Hex
Packs:
A. Stealth Elf, Wrecking Ball, Sonic Boom
B. Hex, Zap, Dino-Rang

Wave III
New:
Double Trouble, Cynder, Slam Bam, Whirlwind*, Drill Sergeant*
Packs:
A. Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant, Double Trouble
Adventure Pack: Empire of Ice with Slam Bam.
*Exclusives, now receiving a wider release

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Here's a list of everything out and coming out.

Wave 1 -

Single Packs -

- Stealth Elf
- Stump Smash
- Sonic Boom
- Whirlwind (Target only)
- Drill Sergeant (Walmart only)
- Boomer
- Drobot
- Zap
- Voodood
- Bash
- Prism Break
- Eruptor
- Flameslinger
- Chop Chop

Triple Packs -

- Prism Break, Boomer, Voodood
- Eruptor, Chop Chop, Bash
- Drobot, Flameslinger, Stump Smash

Adventure Packs -

- Pirate Seas with Terrafin
- Darklight Crypt with Ghost Roaster (Toys R Us exclusive)

3DS -

- Dark Spyro (will remain 3DS exclusive forever)
- Ignitor (will be released in a single pack in June)

Wave 2 -

Single Packs -

- Hex
- Dino Rang
- Wrecking Ball
- Eruptor
- Boomer
- Zap

Triple Packs -

- x2 Wrecking Ball, Stealth Elf, Sonic Boom
- x2 Zap, Hex, Dino Rang

Adventure Packs -

- Darklight Crypt (mass retail)

Wave 3 -

Single Packs -

- Cynder
- Double Trouble
- Flameslinger
- Chop Chop
- Drill Sergeant (mass retail)
- Whirlwind (mass retail)

Triple Packs -

- x2 Whirlwind, Double Trouble, Drill Sergeant
- x2 Drobot, Flameslinger, Stump Smash

Adventure Packs -

- x2 Empire of Ice with Slam Bam
- x2 Pirate Seas with Terrafin
- x2 Darklight Crypt with Ghost Roaster

Now these future waves are based on if the original release schedule, gotten from a Skylanders Catalog, is followed -

Wave 4 (April) -

Single Packs -

- Zook
- Lightning Rod

Triple Packs -

- Cynder, Lightning Rod, Zook

Adventure Packs -

- Dragon's Peak with Sunburn

Wave 5 (June) -

Single Packs -

- Camo
- Warnado
- Ignitor (no longer 3DS exclusive)

Triple Packs -

- Warnado, Camo, Ignitor

Summer 2012 -

Single Packs -

- Wham Shell

The FAQ on Skylanders official Facebook page, suggests that the remaining characters will now be released in Spring, which could still mean April to June, but many of us speculate it all comes out in April now.

fernoca

GameMaster always coming through. :p

Might actually steal that list (since is more compete and detailed) and add that to the main post. Well will try at least, since I had some problems by reaching the character-limit. So lets see. :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is Dragon's Tower really going to be that long of a wait? They printed "Also Available" on the back of the Empire of Ice pack. I was figuring it would be out soon, or maybe be a short TRU exclusive like the Crypt pack was.

Well, my daughter and I played through the EoI level and I definitely found it more substantial and satisfying than Darklight Crypt. Slam Bam is already more fun than Ghost Roaster too. We then decided to go for it and take on Kaos in his evil lair of evilness. I had just upgraded Drobot with the quadratic lasers as well as leveling up him and Spyro to level 10. So I figured that we were ready. I took Drobot pretty far into the battle. MAN, that final boss battle is unforgiving! You make one mistake and BOOM! NOT cake! Many valiant Skylanders laid down their lives that day so that Kaos's evilness would be vanquished. Twelve of our Skylanders in fact. They were falling like flies at one point. But we did it. They made the ultimate sacrifice so that the people of Skylands were no longer under the tyrannical grip of Kaos and so that its citizens can live a life of freedom from oppression and so that Flynn can continue to obnoxiously stalk Cali...

Oh, and check this out guys.

http://fusible.com/2012/01/domains-show-activision-may-create-a-new-game-called-skylanders-giants/

Seems Activision is working on a sequel... MAYBE! If anyone remembers, in the first game, a story scroll mentions the most powerful Skylanders, were called the "Elder Elementals." These GIANTS, posessed the powers of light and darkness within their flesh.
This cannot come soon enough...

I searched for a Sonic Boom single for a while and I finally found a bunch of them at Toys'R'Us. I would imagine that darkjedi187 should eventually come across one. However, I still have yet to see a single Stealth Elf anywhere. I don't want the triple pack with her in it because I've already got the other two figures. I currently don't have a 3DS, but I'm seriously considering buying the 3DS starter pack because I don't have any of the three figures that come with it, plus I'm pretty sure that I'm going to grab a 3DS sometime within the next few months anyway. Plus I've read that the 3DS version of the game is completely different than the console versions, so it would be worth it to grab this version as well.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
GameMaster always coming through. :p

Might actually steal that list (since is more compete and detailed) and add that to the main post. Well will try at least, since I had some problems by reaching the character-limit. So lets see. :p

Be my guest. I wish I knew who would be the other packins with those figures, though.

Is Dragon's Tower really going to be that long of a wait? They printed "Also Available" on the back of the Empire of Ice pack. I was figuring it would be out soon, or maybe be a short TRU exclusive like the Crypt pack was.

Sadly, it will be April before we can play it.

Sonic Boom was instock at Toysrus.com just a few minutes ago.

fernoca

Well main post updated with GameMaster's list. ;)

Removed the original graph, put the release date/publishers as a picture to fit in one line, move the list of figures to the top, so that people don't need to scroll all around the main post to check on that. Wanted to do "Figure Availability' like the rest (one word white the other blue) but couldn't work it out (no longer have Photoshop) and the exact same font that I used).

Hit the 24k characters limit while doing that, so eliminated the "meet some of the Skylanders" pic and the Kotaku's Gut Check area. :p

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Fernoca, you need to make one adjustment to the info post on the first page.

The Legendary set will remain exclusive to Toys R Us, despite it being discontinued at this time. The others lose their exclusivity.

Toys R Us is actually a parent company to Toys for Bob and Activision. That's how I venture to guess it stays exclusive.

I assume, and I mean ASSUME, the Legendary 2-Pack will come back out, when they release Legendary Trigger Happy. Just a guess. Activision France supposedly told a customer that they are still in production and it may be a month before they hit stores again.

fernoca

The Legendary set will remain exclusive to Toys R Us, despite it being discontinued at this time. The others lose their exclusivity.

Toys R Us is actually a parent company to Toys for Bob and Activision. That's how I venture to guess it stays exclusive.

I assume, and I mean ASSUME, the Legendary 2-Pack will come back out, when they release Legendary Trigger Happy. Just a guess. Activision France supposedly told a customer that they are still in production and it may be a month before they hit stores again.
Gotcha/fix'd. :p ;)

so wave 1 is not on production anymore?

I really need some packs, but ebay is full of scalpers, and international shipping isn't cheaper.

edited: I see some triple-packs that are on more than one wave in your list. That means those are the ones that are still on production? Is there a way to tell if a pack belongs to a particular wave?

And my luck: the packs I need are not repeted on waves....

shawnlreed

GameMaster78
SkylanderMaster
(Today, 08:27 PM)

GameMaster78

Neo Member
so wave 1 is not on production anymore?

I really need some packs, but ebay is full of scalpers, and international shipping isn't cheaper.

edited: I see some triple-packs that are on more than one wave in your list. That means those are the ones that are still on production? Is there a way to tell if a pack belongs to a particular wave?

And my luck: the packs I need are not repeted on waves....

Wave 1 has actually seen a re-release of sorts. Walmarts have been getting in certain ones. Instead of 12 packs, they are now packed into cases of 6.

Voodood
Drobot
Sonic Boom
Prism Break
Stump Smash
Eruptor

Toys R Us's in my city got these on their truck last week. I forsee wave 3 on their trucks this week.

I say get'em while they're hot.

EDIT: True, Forester. They are paid by Activision to keep that space, as a friend of mine told me who works at TRU. Plus, they are a parent company of Activision and Toys for Bob. They tell me that space is there to stay.

RobbieNick

Here's a list of everything out and coming out.

Wave 1 -

Single Packs -

- Stealth Elf
- Stump Smash
- Sonic Boom
- Whirlwind (Target only)
- Drill Sergeant (Walmart only)
- Boomer
- Drobot
- Zap
- Voodood
- Bash
- Prism Break
- Eruptor
- Flameslinger
- Chop Chop

Triple Packs -

- Prism Break, Boomer, Voodood
- Eruptor, Chop Chop, Bash
- Drobot, Flameslinger, Stump Smash

Adventure Packs -

- Pirate Seas with Terrafin
- Darklight Crypt with Ghost Roaster (Toys R Us exclusive)

3DS -

- Dark Spyro (will remain 3DS exclusive forever)
- Ignitor (will be released in a single pack in June)

Wave 2 -

Single Packs -

- Hex
- Dino Rang
- Wrecking Ball
- Eruptor
- Boomer
- Zap

Triple Packs -

- x2 Zap, Hex, Dino Rang

Adventure Packs -

- Darklight Crypt (mass retail)

Wave 3 -

Single Packs -

- Cynder
- Double Trouble
- Flameslinger
- Chop Chop
- Drill Sergeant (mass retail)
- Whirlwind (mass retail)

Triple Packs -

- x2 Whirlwind, Double Trouble, Drill Sergeant
- x2 Drobot, Flameslinger, Stump Smash

Adventure Packs -

- x2 Empire of Ice with Slam Bam
- x2 Pirate Seas with Terrafin
- x2 Darklight Crypt with Ghost Roaster

Now these future waves are based on if the original release schedule, gotten from a Skylanders Catalog, is followed -

Wave 4 (April) -

Single Packs -

- Zook
- Lightning Rod

Triple Packs -

- Cynder, Lightning Rod, Zook

Adventure Packs -

- Dragon's Peak with Sunburn

Wave 5 (June) -

Single Packs -

- Camo
- Warnado
- Ignitor (no longer 3DS exclusive)

Triple Packs -

- Warnado, Camo, Ignitor

Summer 2012 -

Single Packs -

- Wham Shell

The FAQ on Skylanders official Facebook page, suggests that the remaining characters will now be released in Spring, which could still mean April to June, but many of us speculate it all comes out in April now.

WARNADO WON'T HIT UNTIL WAVE 5?!!!

That's....that's not fair! I've wanted that guy since I saw his Soul Gem. He's flippin' Gamera and Bulbasaur all rolled into one. Sunuvabitch!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I still have this one if you want it, Dark. Whirlwind, meaning. It's just chilling in my closet for ya if you want it. I saw another one at Target today. I thought about picking it up to help those needing Whirlwind or Drill Sergeant (local Target had that one as well).

I went to the nearest Wal-mart and finally found some figures.

Managed to get Cynder (Undead) and Flameslinger (Fire). I saw Whirlwind, Double Trouble, and Drill Sargent, but I'm holding off since I'm getting the triple pack with Stealth Elf (Life), Wrecking Ball (another Magic next to Spyro), and Sonic Boom (Air).

All that's left is Earth, so I may get the Pirate pack with Terrafin.

After that, I might just get one more of each element.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I went to the nearest Wal-mart and finally found some figures.

Managed to get Cynder (Undead) and Flameslinger (Fire). I saw Whirlwind, Double Trouble, and Drill Sargent, but I'm holding off since I'm getting the triple pack with Stealth Elf (Life), Wrecking Ball (another Magic next to Spyro), and Sonic Boom (Air).

All that's left is Earth, so I may get the Pirate pack with Terrafin.

After that, I might just get one more of each element.

That's what we all say. Just one or two more figures. Next thing you know, we have all 37. :p

You can't fight the crave for Skylanders plastic. Just give in.

That's what we all say. Just one or two more figures. Next thing you know, we have all 37. :p

You can't fight the crave for Skylanders plastic. Just give in.

It's tough, but I have made it out a couple times without a purchase. Just keep telling my self we don't need another (insert type) skylander.

Sora_N

Wave 1 has actually seen a re-release of sorts. Walmarts have been getting in certain ones. Instead of 12 packs, they are now packed into cases of 6.

Voodood
Drobot
Sonic Boom
Prism Break
Stump Smash
Eruptor

Toys R Us's in my city got these on their truck last week. I forsee wave 3 on their trucks this week.

I say get'em while they're hot.

EDIT: True, Forester. They are paid by Activision to keep that space, as a friend of mine told me who works at TRU. Plus, they are a parent company of Activision and Toys for Bob. They tell me that space is there to stay.

That is the assortment my TRU (Canada) got for the singles, except we got Bash instead of Eruptor.

Man, I don't know when we'll get Cynder in Canada. Me and my gf both need one, we love the dragons.

I also caved and bought the PS3 version for myself at last (only had 3DS before).

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I meant Bash, my bad. I kept forgetting who it was, but you're right, it is bash as the sixth. I will go edit that. Thanks for the clarification and reminder.

I found a second gold Chop Chop tonight. I am hoping to trade for a gold Flameslinger, which is the last gold I need, and wave 3 will be done in its entirety for me. Of course, I am still about helping others.

Cheska

After weeks of searching I finally found Sonic Boom, but no sight of Cynder or the Empires of Ice pack anywhere :( Really, really want those two. At least online prices seem to be dropping slightly.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
She exists in a single pack.

I went to a local Walmart last night, where I found a second gold Chop Chop (will only trade for a gold Flameslinger) -

P1240388.jpg

And ended up coming home with all of this -

P1240389.jpg

They're all spoken for, as I am balancing helping out three websites full of Skylander fans. I helped a couple here, and a couple on another site.

So, they exist. Maybe Whirlwind is just popular in your area.

Top Bottom