• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Hmm. I was just searching the Chapters website to see if they had the Skylanders strategy guide available and my search turned up this page amongst the results:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Skylanders-Master-Eons-Official-Guide-Ladybird-Ladybird/9781409391203-item.html?ikwid=skylanders&ikwsec=Home

All it says is that it's a hardcover book that will be released on September 25th of this year. Could this be a clue as to the approximate release date of a sequel? This release date seems awfully LTTP to be associated with the current game. It would make more sense to release this type of book in conjunction with the release of the next game I would think...

BooJoh

I ran into a semi-annoying bug while playing today (PS3 version), I was in the leviathan level, and when I reached the Kaos encounter, I pressed Circle to skip his speech, and the textbox vanished, but he kept animating for the entire speech's worth of animation, then it just sat there, the only thing I could do was exit to the Ruins.

Has anyone managed to do the One For All achievement? (Defeat the final boss with only one Skylander) I thought I had a decent chance with Ghost Roaster but he went down pretty fast once the
hydra multispell
phase started.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I ran into a semi-annoying bug while playing today (PS3 version), I was in the leviathan level, and when I reached the Kaos encounter, I pressed Circle to skip his speech, and the textbox vanished, but he kept animating for the entire speech's worth of animation, then it just sat there, the only thing I could do was exit to the Ruins.

Has anyone managed to do the One For All achievement? (Defeat the final boss with only one Skylander) I thought I had a decent chance with Ghost Roaster but he went down pretty fast once the
hydra multispell
phase started.

I got all achievements on the 360 version. I will be going through my PS3 version soon, to get all trophies. This will be the first game I platinum, lol.

WatTsu

My account just got validated after well over a month of waiting, so I just wanted to let you know I am taking my first post on these boards to say that this thread has sold me on the idea of Skylanders, my starter set is coming Tuesday, and it's all your fault if I lose my job, home, and family and am forced to sleep outside with a blanket made of Boomers.

Also, lovely to finally stop lurking.

stlobus

Is there a thread for trading Skylanders somewhere here that I'm not seeing? I picked up a three pack with Drobot, Flameslinger, and Stump Smash but already have Stumpy. I'm interested in trading for a Chop Chop if anyone's interested, but want to make sure I do it in the correct thread if there is one.

So how does this game work? Do you buy it, and have every world available, and then each figurine just gives you another character to use in that world, or is the starter pack just come with a couple of levels or something?

I'm interested in the game, but do not care about the figurines at the moment.

stlobus

You get 22 (23?) levels with the starter pack, which is all but the four that come with the adventure packs. There are certain sections of each level that are relatively small that can only be accessed by a Skylander of a specific type, but these are merely side areas with a hat and some treasure to find and unlock. You can complete the game with only the three that come with the starter pack, and that includes getting all achievements/trophies if that's your thing.

fernoca

So how does this game work? Do you buy it, and have every world available, and then each figurine just gives you another character to use in that world, or is the starter pack just come with a couple of levels or something?

Basically, the entire game is in the Starter pack and the extra figures no matter if characters of areas, are just extra ones.

More figures = more challenges (which unlock special moves for each).
More figures, also mean more element-variety, and elements unlock extra areas with items like more treasures and hats that give extra abilities.

But in general the core game is still complete. You can begin and finish the entire game with just the 3 starting-figurines, as the rest just unlock extra stuff that has no relation to the main storyline.

My account just got validated after well over a month of waiting, so I just wanted to let you know I am taking my first post on these boards to say that this thread has sold me on the idea of Skylanders, my starter set is coming Tuesday, and it's all your fault if I lose my job, home, and family and am forced to sleep outside with a blanket made of Boomers.

Hahaha, enjoy the game and the forums. :p

K.A.O.S. is always open to welcoming new members...

GameMaster78

Neo Member

Welcome to the forums. My account got validated recently. I signed up when Xenoblade came out in Europe, and I imported it.

The game is truly fun. It's a arcade-style dungeon crawler (think Gauntlet), but with 37 characters.

You unlock new levels as you play. The goal is to restore something called "The Core of Light" after it is destroyed by K.A.O.S..

There are 22 chapters that deal with the K.A.O.S. story and 4 Adventure Pack chapters to play for fun.

Each Skylander can be leveled to 10, can buy 8 abilities when all is said and done, and they each unlock a Heroic Challenge, which you can take your Skylanders through, to raise their Armor, Speed, Critical Hit, and Elemental Power stats. Each Skylander can get the reward from all 32 levels, once. After that, they can play the levels again, but just for fun. They will not get the reward from those levels.

WatTsu

Picked up my first (and likely not last) Skylander today at Target. They had 3 or so Hexes and I figured I better get her now if I wanted her later.

Actually, they were pretty well-stocked all around. When do shipments generally come in? Is there a pattern?

BooJoh

I just got an email from Walmart.com about my Empire of Ice preorder.

Thank you for your recent Walmart.com order. Unfortunately, one or more of the items in your order have been delayed. These items may not arrive by the original estimated delivery date and we are unable to provide you with a revised delivery date at this time.

We are working with our suppliers to ship these items as soon as possible. If we are unable to ship to you within the next 10 days, we will automatically cancel this part of your order, refund your original method of payment, and notify you via email.

According to this topic over at the DarkSpyro forums, these preorders won't be fulfilled. Guess I'm back down to 0/3 for wave 3. :/

Lenardo

Banned
my kids love the game i have an old knickknack display setup in the living room with all their skylanders on it. looks decent

as to the game, kids beat it and are leveling up their characters to max level

my 10yr old plays battle mode solo to gain exp, then to get money puts the treasure chest item on the portal, gets chest, talks to nearest person, runs back to where chest was, gets another one, talks to nearest person, etc until he has enough cash to do anything (he stops at around 10k gold

Zing

Banned
Hmm. I was just searching the Chapters website to see if they had the Skylanders strategy guide available and my search turned up this page amongst the results:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Skylanders-Master-Eons-Official-Guide-Ladybird-Ladybird/9781409391203-item.html?ikwid=skylanders&ikwsec=Home

All it says is that it's a hardcover book that will be released on September 25th of this year. Could this be a clue as to the approximate release date of a sequel? This release date seems awfully LTTP to be associated with the current game. It would make more sense to release this type of book in conjunction with the release of the next game I would think...

Considering the complete set of figures may not be fully released until the summer, I don't think the date is that far off. It seems Activision is determined to market this for two holiday season's worth.

I have the strategy guide and it covers the full game except no detailed walkthroughs for the Adventure packs. I also only includes stickers for the wave one figures.

Considering the complete set of figures may not be fully released until the summer, I don't think the date is that far off. It seems Activision is determined to market this for two holiday season's worth.

I have the strategy guide and it covers the full game except no detailed walkthroughs for the Adventure packs. I also only includes stickers for the wave one figures.
I suppose it's possible. But the fact that it's Activision makes me think that they will milk this new cash cow for all it's worth. The release date for this book comes just shy of the one year mark since the release of the first game, which would be a good time to release a second game. Such a release date would take advantage of back-to-school which would get tons of word-of-mouth from kids, plus it's still close enough to Christmas to take advantage of the holiday season.

My bet is that Activision will make all of the current figures fully playable in the second game for two reasons: [1] So that all of us who plunked down gobs of money this time around don't get pissed off and [2] so that Activision can still sell loads of the original 32+ characters over a second holiday season to those who didn't initially get caught up in the hysteria. Also consider that post by GameMaster78 regarding Activision's acquisition of website domains related to "Skylanders Giants". I just can't see them sitting on this gold mine. But I guess we'll likely see something about the franchise at E3 either way...

ElNino

My bet is that Activision will make all of the current figures fully playable in the second game for two reasons: [1] So that all of us who plunked down gobs of money this time around don't get pissed off and [2] so that Activision can still sell loads of the original 32+ characters over a second holiday season to those who didn't initially get caught up in the hysteria. Also consider that post by GameMaster78 regarding Activision's acquisition of website domains related to "Skylanders Giants". I just can't see them sitting on this gold mine. But I guess we'll likely see something about the franchise at E3 either way...
I suspect there will be another game as well that utilizes the current characters.

What I wonder is if they will go the Guitar Hero route and offer the next game by itself (and use the current portal) as well as a bundle with the portal or whether we will need a new portal for the next game. I assume it depends on whether the portal needs to know anything specific about the characters or whether it simply sends the data to the software to interpret.

WatTsu

So I was watching the Quick Look for this on Giant Bomb and it seemed that once you put down the pirate ship (or whatever level figure) on the portal, it saves it to your game. Is this permanent? For example, say my friend bought the Empire of Ice set and I got the Pirate Adventure set. I put the ship down on my portal and get the level, he puts whatever the EoI piece is down on his portal and gets the level, and then we trade figures. Do we each keep both levels forever?

So I was watching the Quick Look for this on Giant Bomb and it seemed that once you put down the pirate ship (or whatever level figure) on the portal, it saves it to your game. Is this permanent? For example, say my friend bought the Empire of Ice set and I got the Pirate Adventure set. I put the ship down on my portal and get the level, he puts whatever the EoI piece is down on his portal and gets the level, and then we trade figures. Do we each keep both levels forever?

I've wondered the same thing. My guess is that the figure records information on it like the regular characters so it could only be used on a different console if it got reset first. That still seems to make it too easy to only have to buy one adventure set and share among all of your friends. What is the reality?

chiQ

The ship remains in harbour whether the ship stays on the portal or not. I haven't tried loading that level by boarding it, but have assumed it's possible. The piece will presumably be marked as belonging to your console though, so I'm not sure if it will be permanent on another.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I am now 3 of 3 on gold Skylanders. However, I went above and beyond what I did with the silvers. I am gunning for a gold Flameslinger single pack, so that way I have both triple packs with gold Skylanders and all 3 single packs with gold Skylanders.

Here is a teaser pic I took at work -

P1300392.jpg

To add to my gold and silvers, in my pic post here -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34471767&postcount=1154

I am home now. Give me a few minutes to update that post. Wish me luck on winning one of these single pack gold Flameslingers on Ebay.

Zing

Banned
Once you place the Pirate Ship on your portal, it unlocks the level permanently for that particular game save. The ship isn't tied to a particular save or console. It has no "owner", just as the items do not. You are able to play the level whenever you wish without the ship being on the portal.

The ship does trigger a cluster bomb of cannon balls if you place it on the portal during a level. It damages everything on screen and is usable only once per level.

Once you place the Pirate Ship on your portal, it unlocks the level permanently for that particular game save. The ship isn't tied to a particular save or console. It has no "owner", just as the items do not. You are able to play the level whenever you wish without the ship being on the portal.

The ship does trigger a cluster bomb of cannon balls if you place it on the portal during a level. It damages everything on screen and is usable only once per level.

So you can use one ship figure to unlock that level on mulitple consoles?

Anyone seen any of the new Skylanders in the UK yet? I see Amazon UK has a 3rd Feb release date set for Empire of Ice (none of the other though), however last time they started popping up in Toys R Us a week before Amazon got them in.

GameMaster78

Neo Member

ABSOLUTELY EPIC, ANABUHABKUSS!

That was pretty original. Glad to see you got her in the mail. Enjoy the figure. I venture to guess I will be helping more people when the next - and I think final - wave hits.

I saved that pic. Epic.

EDIT: Oh, and I got it lucky in life. At the age of 33, I have like three tiny strands of chest hair. I have no back hair. I kid you not. :p

So you can use one ship figure to unlock that level on mulitple consoles?
I believe so. Like what Zing said, if you're playing a particular game save and you use the pirate ship, then the pirate level is now open for the rest of that game save to be played as many times as you want during that particular game save. If you start a new game save on the same console, the pirate level will not be available until you physically put the pirate ship back on the portal a second time. Today, I just bought a 3DS along with the 3DS version of Skylanders, so I'll see how the pirate ship works with that.

I am now 3 of 3 on gold Skylanders. However, I went above and beyond what I did with the silvers. I am gunning for a gold Flameslinger single pack, so that way I have both triple packs with gold Skylanders and all 3 single packs with gold Skylanders.

Here is a teaser pic I took at work -

P1300392.jpg

To add to my gold and silvers, in my pic post here -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34471767&postcount=1154

I am home now. Give me a few minutes to update that post. Wish me luck on winning one of these single pack gold Flameslingers on Ebay.
Wha...??? How do you even...??? How do you find all of these, GM??? It's hard enough to find just regular Skylanders figures! I still haven't even seen a single silver or gold figure in the wild!
1000x600px-LL-we%27re%20not%20worthy.bmp

I suspect there will be another game as well that utilizes the current characters.
I hope so!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
GameMaster, are you getting those gold skylanders on stores, or do you shop in ebay? Their prices are insane over there...

Ebay. I found a gold Chop Chop at stores, but gave it to my son. He's keeping it sealed as well, lol.

It's costed me an arm and a leg, but for some reason, I am really passionate about this game. I've never gone this far with a game before, and I own 1310+ games.

So, to Pete, I say the same thing. I spend an arm and a leg on Ebay for these, minus one gold Chop Chop that I found at a local Walmart. Sadly, that was after I had already bought Chop Chop off of Ebay.

Going for my single pack Flameslinger gold tonight.

Ebay. I found a gold Chop Chop at stores, but gave it to my son. He's keeping it sealed as well, lol.

It's costed me an arm and a leg, but for some reason, I am really passionate about this game. I've never gone this far with a game before, and I own 1310+ games.

So, to Pete, I say the same thing. I spend an arm and a leg on Ebay for these, minus one gold Chop Chop that I found at a local Walmart. Sadly, that was after I had already bought Chop Chop off of Ebay.

Going for my single pack Flameslinger gold tonight.
Ah, gotcha. No need to explain yourself to us here regarding your passion for this game or anything else that strikes your fancy. I think most of us understand. To each his/her own. Good luck acquiring the gold Flameslinger! Let us know if you get it...

EDIT: GM, is your eBay bidding name "m***e" by any chance? I just checked to see what the going rate is for the gold Flameslinger and "m***e" was the current top bidder with 3 hours to go. Wow, crazy prices! Good luck to you though!

Zing

Banned
I sincerely hope that someone dedicated to winning an Ebay auction would not bid until the last 10 seconds. Bidding any earlier simply raises the winning bid.

Good luck, GameMaster.

I also think that bidding high in the last minute is the best way to shop on ebay, but everyone has his system.

I have seem triple packs with the golden Flameslinger in buy-it-now for less than some of those auctions are closing. Are the single gold figures more rare?

Zing

Banned
I have seem triple packs with the golden Flameslinger in buy-it-now for less than some of those auctions are closing. Are the single gold figures more rare?

Probably not more rare from the manufacturer, but more rare due to collectors preferring to keep singles instead of the three-pack.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
These golds werent exclusives were they?

Are they out of print?

Also Gamemaster, thanks again.

They weren't exclusive. They are just hard to get a hold of in stores. Most of the time, employees see them before the customer, so they will hold onto them. If one manages to hit the shelves, it won't be there long. Not all stores are gaurenteed to get them.

I heard a rumor, that there are only 50-100 of each gold Skylander, in the world. Don't know if it's true. They do seem to be more limited than the silvers, however.

As long as wave 3 hits shelves, there is always a chance one will be in a box.

I nabbed my single pack gold Flameslinger. Once it arrives, I will take a final set of pics, and I will update my pics post. Then I won't need to update it again, until March or April, when new figures come out.

And no problem, with the help. I am glad I could help. :)

Congrats, GM! And holy carp at the winning bid price for the gold Flameslinger that ended last night on eBay! But who knows, if they are as rare as you've said, then their value might increase substantially over time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can anyone else find any Flameslingers or Wrecking Balls in their area? Everywhere I go is sold out :(

Thats was me who won that auction. I told ya, I was determined.
Nice! Good going! I checked out that listing out of curiosity just to see what these were worth to the collecting community and the bid price more than doubled in the last three hours. People are so rabid about Skylanders. It's fun to be involved in all the hysteria though!

Just bought a 3DS and Skylanders 3DS yesterday and I charged it up this morning. After I'm done typing this out, I'm going to set it up and try out the game! I'll give my impressions in a little bit...

Okay, just got done playing a couple of levels of the 3DS version. It's definitely a different experience. Lots of platforming, some of it already a little trickier than I expected. Very combat-oriented as well. It seems faster paced than the version for the consoles.

Thank goodness the character switching on the consoles is as fast as it is. It's relatively slow on the 3DS in comparison. But it seems as though they've designed the levels so that there is minimal character swapping needed.

The 3D effect is pretty amazing! Just the preview screen on the 3DS menu was impressive with the Skylanders logo rotating around Dark Spyro. The added depth does seem to help with the platforming element by making it easier to judge distances. One of the problems that is often frustrating with the LEGO games is that it's sometimes difficult to judge depth and you often jump toward a platform and flat out miss it. I also bought LEGO Star Wars III but I haven't played it yet, so I'm interested to see if the 3D effect makes the platforming depths easier to judge with a LEGO game as well.

There are a couple of negatives. The first one is an issue with the 3DS device itself. I've already found that when you are in the heat of a battle, your tendency is to move the device around a lot which results in your eyes being removed from the "3D sweet spot", thus you lose the 3D effect and get the double image. And I'm sure that the high degree of platforming involved in this version will somewhat frustrate my daughter. So the 3DS version doesn't seem to be as kid-friendly as the console version.

Overall, it's a fun game so far. I'm really enjoying it and I'm glad that it's a different experience from the console version.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Flameslinger currently in stock over at gamestop.com. They also have the new 3 pack in stock (Whirlwind, etc).

Thanks for posting--just tried to add it to my cart and was sold out :(

BJK

^^
...and I felt guilty running out to Target 10 minutes before it closed last night, because I noticed they got a new shipment in.

Grabbed the Stealth Elf / Wrecking Ball / Sonic Boom 3-pack, bringing my total # of Skylanders to 9, but more importantly, one of each element.

(Sidenote: Anyone have a skylander that they really don't like? Eruptor is my fire type, and while I appreciate that his X attack can hit enemies on raised platforms, he's still my least used character.)

Lego Star wars 3d def helps the platforming on that game. The lego games on 3ds did a good job with that. In fact, i would venture to say that the 3D in those games are implemented much better than here. I dislike the 3D on this tbh. It feels tacked on but you're right, it does very much help with the platforming alone. I didnt have sweet spot or handheld movement problems :(

I enjoy this ver too. It a laid back game if a tad too simplistic in terms of production. No online is a bummer but it controls well and graphics are serviceable.

I do not doubt that the next game will be a much more though out production. At least i hope so. Theres plenty room for improvement. Inthe end, it is cute and fun and thts all i need personally.
I just finished the first level of LEGO Star Wars III and I've got to say that I'm blown away by the 3D effect. Visually, it looks great. Although the effect breaks down somewhat when the camera is moving fast during cut-scenes and they seem to have somehow botched the shadows because they look way off, almost as though the shadows are in 2D while the rest of the graphics are in 3D. It's kind of jarring at times. Overall though, I'm very impressed. And the 3D does seem to help with judging depth where the platforming is concerned.

Glad to hear that you're not having any "sweet spot" or handheld movement problems. It's more of a minor nitpick with me rather than any kind of deal breaker because it only occurs occasionally. So far I'm much happier with the 3DS than I had anticipated.

WatTsu

Finally got the game and played the first two chapters. Using Hex as my main, but I like Trigger Happy a lot too. It's a little slow but the jokes are great when they land and I can see the appeal of going back and leveling up all the characters.

I hemmed and hawed about opening my Hex - the packaging is cool and you never know how the secondary market is on these things - but eventually decided to open it for the sake of expediency and ease of use - I didn't want to carry the box to and from the console all the time. Also, she's not selling for that much and I didn't get this stuff as an investment, I got it to play.

Please tell me I made the right decision. :p

Double D

Thanks for posting--just tried to add it to my cart and was sold out :(

Well, that sucks. You know, Amazon's prices on the older guys has dropped significantly over the past could of weeks. If you don't mind paying a couple more dollars than retail (I think you can get Flameslinger for about $14 shipped), that's probably your best bet.

Plinko

Well, that sucks. You know, Amazon's prices on the older guys has dropped significantly over the past could of weeks. If you don't mind paying a couple more dollars than retail (I think you can get Flameslinger for about $14 shipped), that's probably your best bet.

Yeah, I think that's where I'm headed.

Top Bottom