• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Picked up the last Empire of Ice at Best Buy in Fullerton, CA. They had one more Darklight Crypt (which I probably should have bought as well but didn't want to tempt the wrath of Wife :)) and a couple of the Pirate Seas pack. Lots of solo figures as well but nothing I terribly needed (I saw Hex, Zap, Dino-Rang, and a few others).

I have a question regarding one of the upgrades for Hex that I'm hoping somebody can answer. At this point, I've got all but the last two of her upgrades. One of the things that I love about this character is spamming the living carp out of her main rapid-fire attack. The next upgrade for her adds longer range to this attack, but the upgrade description says that you have to hold down the attack button ( "A" on the Xbox360 ) in order to increase the range.

Now, I had previously applied an upgrade to Dinorang that is similar to this Hex upgrade. Before I upgraded Dinorang, you could easily spam the attack button and he would just rapid-throw his boomerangs no problem. I then upgraded him so that you could "remote control" guide a boomerang. The problem is that this is mapped to the same button as the rapid-throw attack. So now I have to be really careful and just tap tap tap the attack button very quickly otherwise the rapid attack stops and a single remote control boomerang appears. And it doesn't matter how careful I am with this, I find that the remote control boomerang often kicks in when I don't want it to. It's frustrating. I love using the remote control boomerang from very long range, but I wish that it wasn't mapped to the same button as the main rapid fire boomerang attack.

Basically, I'm afraid that the same thing will happen if I upgrade Hex to this long range attack. Can somebody confirm for me if her long range attack sometimes unintentionally interrupts her normal rapid-fire attack since they're mapped to the same button? Thanks...

So Empire of Ice is the only thing I don't have now. Where has everyone been getting theirs?
I actually pre-ordered mine from EB Games in St.Catharines, Ontario. They would only take pre-orders on the adventure packs but not the figures. You might want to try that, although now that EoI is technically released, I don't know if you can still pre-order something that is already in stores. It might be worth a shot though. I hope you end up getting it because it's my favorite adventure pack of the three.

TheGrue

Wow, so I guess I've just been unlucky. Going to make my rounds again here shortly.

Yeah, me too. I just called Wal Mart to see if they had any (I went to Target this morning and they were out and realized I should just call these places) and they said they got a bunch in Monday and now they are out. I went in on Monday morning and they had none, so must have missed it. All I need are Cynder and Double Trouble. :(

GameMaster, I have the Target Exclusive WHIRLWIND but I do not remeber the cloud being solid white. I think my copy is a very soft blue.

Just got this today:

51-FVR5AebL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It was $19.99 at EB Games. There are some pathetic cardboard partitions inside, but I'm pretty sure that they are there only to help the case to not implode and to keep it's shape while it's on display in the store. So I took them out. I managed to stuff all 26 of our figures in this bad boy. Most of them are standing up, but 6 of them are lying flat on top of the others. It's not as cool as the plastic tower, but it's decent official merchandise for the price. I'm hoping that they come up with something similar to the tower, but one that holds all 32+ figures.

BooJoh

After my WalMart preorder for Empire of Ice got cancelled I had no luck finding it elsewhere, but I just ordered one from GameStop.com so hopefully that one will actually make it to me. Still need Cynder and Double Trouble though.

Sounds like we'll get some Skylanders news from Activision themselves over the weekend:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Activision-Teases-Skylanders-Announcement-for-Nuremberg-Toy-Fair-249969.shtml

Video game publisher Activision Blizzard has announced that its Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure will be the star attraction at the upcoming International Toy Fair in Nuremberg, Germany, with the company set to make a number of announcements related to the future of the mix between real-world action figures and virtual worlds.

The International Toy Fair in Nuremberg is now open and will remain so until February 6, with the most important companies in the field eager to bring out their most interesting products for the coming year and show them off to visitors.

John Coyne, the vice president in charge of marketing at publisher Activision, stated, “We couldn’t be more thrilled with the success of this uniquely cross-platform game experience. Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure is one of the only children’s title that facilitates seamless communal play in person, on consoles, handhelds, PCs, and online.”

He added, “This concept is interwoven with superb action and storytelling. It’s a pleasure to bring this acclaimed new franchise to the renowned playground at Spielwarenmesse.”

Activision has recently registered a number of websites through a third party which are linked to Skylanders and to a new Giants concepts, but the publisher has refused to offer any clear information on the future of the franchise.

Giants might refer to a whole new line of characters, bigger than those that came before them, or to a whole new faction that will be introduced to the game.

Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure challenges gamers to take on the role of a Portal Master, who needs to guide a team of characters through a set of complex adventure in order to defeat an evil Portal Master called Kaos.

In order to complete their objective, players need to purchase real-world Skylander character, choosing from a range of 32, and then activate them using a Portal of Power that moves them into the virtual world.

rcl66

If it wasn't obvious by reading the thread Gamestop is by far and away the best place to have any luck getting characters and adventure packs. Went in last week at lunch and they had just gotten an Empire of Ice. Today stopped by at lunch and they had multiple 3 packs, a few adventure packs and even single packs. I got the 3 pack with the exclusive characters from Target etc last year and an Eruptor that i still hadn't managed to snag.

Orca

My daughter is ready for the sequel, she just got this from the rep at the Walmart here:

Fits perfectly on the set of drawers by her bed.

SumDooder

Neo Member
Speaking of sequels, its officially announced today.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40147/Activision_commits_to_toy_biz_with_new_Skylanders_Giants.php

http://www.geekinvaders.com/?p=16511

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/prnewswire/press_releases/California/2012/02/07/LA48464

Highlights:
Going Big: Skylanders Giants introduces eight new highly collectible figures that are more than twice the size of the main skylanders cast in both physical and virtual form. Their in-game powers and abilities reflect their colossal scale.

Bright Lights: Helping to further the real world magic of bringing toys to life, Skylanders Giants includes a set of characters that feature spectacular new light technology integrated into the toys, allowing the figure to light up when near or on the Portal of Power™. These characters have additional in-game benefits as well. Batteries are not required.

Brand New Skylanders: Eight new regular sized skylanders, each with their own unique powers, abilities, and personality, join the adventure alongside the Giants.
Forward Compatibility: Every beloved character from Skylanders Spyro's Adventure is 100% compatible with Skylanders Giants, leveled-up stats and customizations intact.

Wider Worlds: Portal Masters will see all new arenas and more gameplay options in Battle Mode for exciting head-to-head play, as well as enhanced Elemental Zones, new Hero Challenges, and other features that encourage players to collect and level up every character.

Skylanders Giants also features closer integration with Skylanders Spyro's UniverseTM, the large online world that allows Portal Masters around the world to greatly expand their Skylanders experience.

Don't think it was officially announced, but I think its implied that the portal of power will not be forward compatible. No word on new elements either.

RobbieNick

Whoo!! Awesome news! Glad the new amount of figs to collect isn't too large. 8 Giants and 8 regular size. Glad to see the figs you collect this year will be backwards compatible as well. I wonder if each giant comes with an exclusive level?

Awesome! 16 new figures all together is a good number. Not too much, but not too little either. Thank goodness they made the current figures compatible. I'm hoping that they'll implement the same split-screen technology that the LEGO games currently use so that the characters aren't tethered together. It would be nice if they pulled the camera back a little as well. And now that they know what a big franchise they have on their hands, let's hope they polish up the graphics a little more and make the game even bigger.

They're taking those down already? And how much did you have to bribe him??
Yeah, I'd like to know this as well so I know how much I'd have to offer up. And who did you have to talk to to arrange this? What a SWEET find! Congratulations on getting it. Your daughter looks SO happy in that pic. That's what it's all about...

Zing

Banned
So, 16 new figures spread out over how many months?

All of those small sized Skylanders displays are in French around here. The large one at Toys R Us is English though. It's like someone at Activision thought everyone in Canada spoke French.

GameMaster, I think you should make your man's cave a lot bigger.... and soon...

- 8 Giant Skylanders: One out-sized Skylander for each of the different elements. These characters have special abilities in-game, but balanced in such a way that they shouldn’t eclipse the original Skylanders. Each of the Giant Skylanders has elements that light up when placed on the Portal and is about twice the size of the original figures.

- 4 Light Skylanders: Four special edition figures that have light up parts when placed on the Portal. Like the Giant Skylanders, this extends the RFID technology to wirelessly power the figures and avoids the need for batteries.

- 8 New Skylanders: Eight new normal sized Skylander figures, one for each of the elements. These extend the elemental families with new figures that complement those already available.

- 24 Re-released Skylanders: Although exact details were less forthcoming on this issue, it seems the plan is to release a fresh set of Skylanders figures in different poses and holding different items to the originals.

Source: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/02/skylanders-giants-confirmed/

Well, I am ok with the 8 giants, 12 new skylanders, but 24 old ones in different poses?????

Also, I think you will pay a small fortune on this:

HPXzL.jpg

SumDooder

Neo Member
Don't think it was officially announced, but I think its implied that the portal of power will not be forward compatible. No word on new elements either.

Looks like that's not right. Saw that the portal WILL be forward compatible! Woo Hoo! More money for figures!!!!

RobbieNick

Promotional images. You can see the difference in size on the giant compared to a normal skylander. also, here's a new, unknown Skylander. Can't wait for more info.

2qPk1.jpg

Tixg6.jpg

HxvG0.jpg

5WqwD.jpg

T7837.jpg

dmUnp.jpg

Double D

You might be able to fit two giant characters on that portal (when playing with a friend), but you can forget about playing any giant figures with an expansion. (two-player)

The expansion only needs to be on the portal for a few seconds for the world to be unlocked in-game, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Hobbun

The expansion only needs to be on the portal for a few seconds for the world to be unlocked in-game, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Ok, that works then. I haven’t played one of the expansions yet. I thought it needed to be left on the portal.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
GameMaster, I think you should make your man's cave a lot bigger.... and soon...

Source: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/02/skylanders-giants-confirmed/

Well, I am ok with the 8 giants, 12 new skylanders, but 24 old ones in different poses?????

Also, I think you will pay a small fortune on this:

HPXzL.jpg

I saw that. :(

Maybe chance favors the prepared mind. I hope to own one of those.

I hope the new game is hard, because if they're only releasing 16 Skylanders, and what looks to be ZERO new Adventure Packs, the second game could be over far too soon.

RobbieNick

I saw that. :(

Maybe chance favors the prepared mind. I hope to own one of those.

I hope the new game is hard, because if they're only releasing 16 Skylanders, and what looks to be ZERO new Adventure Packs, the second game could be over far too soon.

My guess is that they will increase the level cap to keep you playing with older figs.

SumDooder

Neo Member
My guess is that they will increase the level cap to keep you playing with older figs.

I was thinking and hoping for that as well. But I don't see it happening. If you got over level 10 in the giants game, you could go back and be WAY over powered in the first game. Or they could cap you at 10 when the figure is on the first game. Just seems like a long shot to me.

BuzzJive

Is Hex better than Chop Chop?

They're different - not sure which is better. I like Hex because she can pick people off from a distance with her secondary fire (fires straight up and then comes down to hit the enemies). It's helpful when trying to take out some enemies that may otherwise be too strong for my 6 year old to go charging in to. He's getting better though :)

Zing

Banned
I'd say that Hex is more versatile than Chop Chop, since he is only strictly melee attack. Chop Chop is definitely weaker without upgrades.

I picked up Double Trouble today. I'm not going to open it until I get a few more of the newer ones. The store also had a Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant, and a few Pirate Seas, but I have no need for them. As I was talking to the EB clerk, an older man came and snagged what was left. Yet another older man came up and said he wanted the Whirlwind as the first man was at the cash register. This second man offered to buy all of the first man's items if he would let him have the Whirlwind. The first man accepted the offer.

For those not keeping track, this means the guy paid around $44 for Whirlwind. Pretty strange considering you can get the three-pack from Ebay for about half the price. Whatever.

WatTsu

Hey, are there just fewer Air types out in the wild? I know that Sonic Boom and Whirlwind are the only ones released, but it seems like I've seen every type on the shelves except Air.

ghostmind

I was at TRU this morning, and apparently they got a big shipment of Skylanders in yesterday and then sold out completely within hours. Just empty pegs on the wall now, with "We're Sorry" notices taped to them. The craze for this toy is like nothing else right now.

I am looking for that Empire of Ice pack, but we aren't collecting them, so until I find one at retail price I will wait.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Ghostmind, I have an Empire of Ice I can sell.

A local scalper went and snatched 8 before I went up there, so an employee friend at TRU told me there were two more. I had him put them on hold, so no other scalper could get them.

TRU prices are jacked to 24.99, so 27 for the toy (costed me 27.08 not gonna care about the change) and 6.00 shipping via USPS Priority with delivery confirmation, and you can have it if you need it.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I have these as well -

2 Double Trouble single packs
1 Drill Sergeant single pack

To add to the -

2 Empire of Ice adventure packs

I also bought a triple pack with Whirlwind, Double Trouble, and Drill Sergeant for someone who said they needed it on Darkspyro. However, no one seems to care now, so I have one of those.

Triple pack and adventure packs I am asking 27 for (bought from Toys R Us with their jacked up prices) plus 6.00 shipping. Single packs, I am asking for 8 bucks, plus 6.00 shipping.

Anyone in the UK got any suggestions for finding these critters. So far I'm trying to reserve via Argos (but you can't specify character until you get to the store) and physically checking Tesco and Toys R Us. My son is desperate for a Life and Air character, so we're keeping our eye out for Stump Smash, Sonic Boom or Stealth Elf. Ideally we want the triple pack with the latter two in it, but I'm not even sure they're making any more of those now.

Also, anyone have any clue about when Wave 3 hits the UK?

chiQ

The reason you can't reserve particular characters or character types is a lack of information about precise stock reaching resellers. All they know is the number they're getting in respect to triple packs, individual packs, adventure packs, and starter packs, but not which ones.

Top Bottom