• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim DLC "Dawnguard" coming this summer

Selkies!

I should finish Skyrim. There are probably enough mods out at this point to make the game fun again for another 20 hours.

If this is an expansion pack, we really should drop DLC-part of the title.
The fact that they'e kept "Skyrim" in the title, while all previous expansions didn't keep the main game name, leads me to think they're approaching this somewhat differently.

Maybe no new landmass or something.

As much as I hate announcements of announcements, I can't help but be super hyped for the expansion. And hey, at least we got a name and a rough date.

Dresden

I think it is comical how it makes some people upset. It's just a thing that happens. It's neither right nor wrong. I don't "like" it either, but it is so negligible.

I think people getting screwed because they happened to be on one platform over the other have the right to be upset. Derp.

Petrichor

I mean their track record of benefits. First they delayed some game demos from Xbox Live Silver Members and touted immediate access to game demos as a "benefit" of Xbox Live Gold. Now they agree to delay game content to all other platforms and present that as a "benefit"?

Yeah. I don't think that word means what they think it means.

In the long run I think everyone benefits from arrangements like this this. I'm sure this DLC expansion, alongside the GTA4 expansions wouldn't have been remotely as ambitious if the developers were solely relying on DLC sales to generate revenue. Microsoft's moneyhats are surely factored into the budgets and thus the scale of timed-exclusive DLC projects (if Microsoft is paying for timed exclusive DLC they have a vested interest for that DLC to be of a sufficient scope to merit having it as exclusive in the first place, no?), which are then consumed and enjoyed by everyone (albeit at a later date).

BigDug13

So I am gonna call it... this is not DLC this is a massive expansion that will be not only downloadable but also disc based. Price will clock in at 30 bucks. (20 on the low side)

What was shivering isles when it launched?

$30!! It better not be. For $60 we got the entirety of Skyrim's graphical development, world, classes, perks, quests, etc.

If they're going to charge $30, it better be half of Skyrim's content worth of new stuff. It especially better not be $30 for the online download purchase as I'm not buying a box, disc, books, etc with profit markup from Gamestop, Amazon, or wherever.

Mark my words, but this will probably be at Microsoft's E3 press conference as they unveil this and dance around it being exclusive for a month.
A company trying to capitalize on something to make them more money. Imagine that.

Who gives a shit of they tout it around at their press conference?

Interfectum

$30!! It better not be. For $60 we got the entirety of Skyrim's graphical development, world, classes, perks, quests, etc.

If they're going to charge $30, it better be half of Skyrim's content worth of new stuff.

It'll be $30 with around 1/5th of the quest content offered in Skyrim.

If they're going to charge $30, it better be half of Skyrim's content worth of new stuff. It especially better not be $30 for the online download purchase as I'm not buying a box, disc, books, etc with profit markup from Gamestop, Amazon, or wherever.

Bad news: Shivering Isles is STILL $30 (2400 points or $10 more than the GOTY version of Oblivion costs used) on XBL so if Dawnguard is comparable expect a high price.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
atleast this isnt as bad as capcom with the resident evil 6 demo lol

U2NUMB

Shivering Isles is still 2400 ms points (30 bucks) right now.. today. So it is not crazy for something big which we think this will be.

Shivering Isles is still 2400 ms points (30 bucks) right now.. today. So it is not crazy for something big which we think this will be.

Which is dumb because I bought the Oblivion GOTY Edition (which includes Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles) for ~$25.

Skyrim is the type of game that I have trouble getting back into just for the sake of a DLC pack. God I miss the days of full expansions.

HoosTrax

Timed exclusive DLC is such a despicable practice. Hey customers, thanks for buying our game, but you done fucked up and didn't buy it on the right platform!
I'm trying to decide whether this applies to the PC audience, for getting the DLC a month later. Or the 360 people, for never being able to get mods at all.

Skyrim is the type of game that I have trouble getting back into just for the sake of a DLC pack. God I miss the days of full expansions.

If it makes you feel better, Skyrim DLC will be "expansion size". At least somewhat going by what the devs have said.

EDIT: Oh, and there will be more than one expansion.

BigDug13

I'm trying to decide whether this applies to the PC audience, for getting the DLC a month later. Or the 360 people, for never being able to get mods at all.

Well at least PC owners get to have their expansion in 30 days, and usually get faster price drops on games/content. While 360 owners will never see those mods.

I usually double dip on these kinds of games. Once there's a GOTY edition for this one with the expansions, some incredible mods will also be out and I'll have an upgraded PC to play it on max settings...win/win.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Not getting mods isn't an issue because it's simply not supported by the platform and is completely out of the hands of the developer. Not really comparable to this situation.

Karak

Totally fine with this kind of thing. And also very excited to see what they bring to the table when it comes to content. Snow elf Vampires? I am there.

Tex117

Banned
I mean...ummm..

No, probably not. I don[t need yet another question line to complete that doesnt actually effect anything.

Tenck

Will not support Bethesda and their stupidity of having it as an exclusive. I can live without their DLC.

b8kyL.gif

Bento

So do we know how long this has been in development? I was hoping for something of the size of Shivering Isles but less then a year (assuming they started after the release of Skyrim) seems a tad to short to make something of that scope :(

spirity

Fuck Bethesda up their bug filled asses.
Never again.

Yeah man you tell em.

Getting Fallout 4 though, right.

Anyway, Dawnguard suggests a faction of some sort. Hoping we get some of the awesomeness that was the Game Jam, I want my moving platforms, cabin building and new mounts.

[ ] A. Platform Exclusive
[ ] B. Timed Exclusive
[x] C. None of the above.

Thats great but it is here to stay so these are your options. Timed exclusive so every gets to play it or straight exclusive that totally bans content from 2/3 of the users. Sony and MS will continue to do this and third publishers will continue to shop it around to the highest bidder.

Thats great but it is here to stay so these are your options. Timed exclusive so every gets to play it or straight exclusive that totally bans content from 2/3 of the users. Sony and MS will continue to do this and third publishers will continue to shop it around to the highest bidder.
And I'll continue to call them idiots and avoid their gimmicks. Everybody wins.

Top Bottom