• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

bengraven

I think the most important question is: how long until we get the sex mods? Two days; 1 week, 2weeks?

Wait, it's not running on Gamebryo anymore, so it might take them a while to import their mods to the new engine.

(god, I totally skip over the "adult" mods at Nexus - it's ridiculous)

Corky said:
The reason you play minecraft ( in the sense that you think it doesn't look bad per se, disregarding gameplay ) is the same reason anyone can play any game, retro or modern with good enough art direction or style or what have you without being bothered by the visuals. I'll play SOTN when I'm 100 years old and think it's still as beautiful as it was the first time I tried it.

I understand about not caring about graphics anymore since devs can only do soo much with hardware as old as this, which is why it irks me when they're trying to be overly ambitious since it'll invariably end in compromises upon compromises made.

No, really, I hated how it looked and didn't want to try it. It was the gameplay that hooked me. I had decided to never play it until that free weekend when I gave it a try on my work computer, which was rocking an old P4. I had a ton of fun and the graphics just don't matter.

That said, I agree that old sprite games will still look great to me in the future: FFVI is my drug.

I´m looking forward to get more details about the game world in this game. Oblivion was an empty shell for 90% of the gametime, and I hope that this game will have as much interesting places to explore as Morrowind. Loved the dwemer story and their ruins in that game, and raiding the family vaults.

I also hope that they make the large cities feel large in this game. I don´t want them to repeat Cyrodil again, where the capital city only has an handful of different areas.

Such things are way more important then the resolution of the textures (game looks fantastic already).

One thing I´m afraid will dissapoint me though is that Bethesda will not handle the choices in the game as well as Obsidian did with Fallout: New Vegas.

bengraven

CecilRousso said:
I´m looking forward to get more details about the game world in this game. Oblivion was an empty shell for 90% of the gametime, and I hope that this game will have as much interesting places to explore as Morrowind. Loved the dwemer story and their ruins in that game, and raiding the family vaults.

I also hope that they make the large cities feel large in this game. I don´t want them to repeat Cyrodil again, where the capital city only has an handful of different areas.

Such things are way more important then the resolution of the textures (game looks fantastic already).

It was empty, but it still had it's great moments. Being lost in a plain full of flowers or a forest was still pretty cool. Games like RDR improved on it 100 fold, but I still liked getting lost in Oblivion.

At least until the distance textures washed out and the foliage disappeared and I was staring at a series of green polygons 100 feet ahead of me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The game looks great for consoles. On PC, it will look breathtaking.

In motion, as we have ALL already seen, it looks great.

And for all we know, while they are not right now, they may post release a patch with DX11 tessellation, and a few other higher settings.Bethesda already said they create high res textures then shrink them down for the console, and that they were considering releasing those on PC.

Even if they don't, the mod community will make this game look next gen, I guarantee it. Oblivion modded looks freaking spectacular.

If console only players think the graphics are bad, start demanding new hardware, otherwise, you are stuck with 2005 tech.

ajb1888

Banned
aab835f7e0599866476f051870dd34b641e39bd1.jpg

yeah... graphics are sorry ;)

bengraven said:
It was empty, but it still had it's great moments. Being lost in a plain full of flowers or a forest was still pretty cool. Games like RDR improved on it 100 fold, but I still liked getting lost in Oblivion.

It did have some great moments. I liked the Knights of the Nine Quests, and the quests you had to do when bitten by a vampire, and there were a couple of dungeons that were really cool.

But there were to many uninspired quests, that was all about clearing out all the enemies in a dungeon, and the dungeons all looked the same. After a while I almost didn´t want any more quests in the game, because I was so sure that they just would dissapoint me. It was the same with the Shivering Isles expansion that started really cool, but then went to back the dungeon missions.

The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests made the world of Oblivion seem much larger and packed full of stuff than usual because it gave you many different objectives to complete; go here, there, talk to this, that became more engrossing because those storylines were fun and interesting. and you actually wanted to do them rather than just rush through brown cave #0048.

I hope they expand upon this, I would love to see both of those guilds return with more zany antics :)

Dennis

Banned
wit3tyg3r said:
Damn, Dennis. Do you not read ANYTHING I tell you? So far, in every single thread related to Skyrim, you've been complaining and bitching about the graphics. And I agree that they aren't super high-quality like other PC-exclusive RPGs, but I explain everything every single time, but it's like you just don't read. Read my posts carefully. You just don't seem to understand anything about developing games.

And here, I'll help. Here is my long explanation about why Skyrim can't look like Witcher 2:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28117060&postcount=973
You didn't understand back then so I won't expect you to understand in this thread either.

There is nothing super complicated about Oblivion/Skyrim that prevents these games from having graphics on PC that can compete with the best.

Two Worlds II and Risen/Risen 2 are every bit as sophisticated open-world RPGs as Betshedas games and they have much better graphics. Please don't tell me you have swallowed their crap about "Radiant AI"...

Other open world games like GTA IV also have seemless worlds without loading but Oblivion/Skyrim makes cities separate, loadable, areas. This breaks immersion and will have to be fixed with mods. So much for the "huge" worlds eh? By the way, Oblivion had a tiny crammed worldspace.

Its all just excuses. So much than this is possible - Betsheda and Bioware are getting left behind on the graphics.

I don't give a fuck if 360 is the lead SKU. I am going to be playing the PC version and so naturally I will judge it as a PC game.

They have seemingly chosen not to make an effort to make the PC version feature graphics that are competitive with what is possible and the best currently available.

Thats their choice. I don't agree with it but suspect they don't feel that there is enough extra sales in it to warrant putting more effort into the PC version. That may be a smart business choice for all I know but their business is not my concern nor my responsibility. I am a consumer in this.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Frankly speaking graphics (textures) don't look so hot. Two weeks ago I'd post something like "lol Dennis, you again" but not anymore...

Lakitu

st5fu
DennisK4 said:
You didn't understand back then so I won't expect you to understand in this thread either.

There is nothing super complicated about Oblivion/Skyrim that prevents these games from having graphics on PC that can compete with the best.

Two Worlds II and Risen/Risen 2 are every bit as sophisticated open-world RPGs as Betshedas games and they have much better graphics. Please don't tell me you have swallowed their crap about "Radiant AI"...

Other open world games like GTA IV also have seemless worlds without loading but Oblivion/Skyrim makes cities separate, loadable, areas. This breaks immersion and will have to be fixed with mods. So much for the "huge" worlds eh? By the way, Oblivion had a tiny crammed worldspace.

Its all just excuses. So much than this is possible - Betsheda and Bioware are getting left behind on the graphics.

I don't give a fuck if 360 is the lead SKU. I am going to be playing the PC version and so naturally I will judge it as a PC game.

They have seemingly chosen not to make an effort to make the PC version feature graphics that are competitive with what is possible and the best currently available.

Thats their choice. I don't agree with it but suspect they don't feel that there is enough extra sales in it to warrant putting more effort into the PC version. That may be a smart business choice for all I know but their business is not my concern nor my responsibility. I am a consumer in this.

We've not seen any screens / footage from the PC version. Xbox 360 only so far. Although you probably know that.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Lakitu said:
We've not seen any screens / footage from the PC version. Xbox 360 only so far. Although you probably know that.
PC version is confirmed to look identical to 360 version.

Darklord

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Not exactly The Witcher 2 is it.

Dennis, please shut up. You filled so many Witcher 2 threads with "it's not bronze god geralt!" and now that's the third time I've seen you come into a Skyrim thread just to say it's not as good looking as Witcher 2. We get it. Stop.

Mr_Brit

Banned
I think Bethesda don't feel it's worth the extra effort/budget to improve the graphics as they're not hideously behind the curve(*cough*Portal 2*cough*) and the game supports mods.

Trickster

DennisK4 said:

Weren't you bassically jizzing your pants and making huge gifs when the ingame trailer aired?

Mr_Brit said:
PC version is confirmed to look identical to 360 version.
Well, not really. It's confirmed to "deliver a similar experience to the console version". Stuff like texture sizes and such will have been slightly adjusted for display on a computer screen. The difference won't be day-and-night, but it won't look completely identical, either.

Dennis

Banned
Lakitu said:
I have been led to believe that they are not doing anything to make a superior PC version except higher resolution and AA. So minus the resolution, I am judging the graphics as what we can expect.

I would love to be wrong of course and if they release some kickass PC screenshots, I guarantee I will give them a fair shake.

It seems people are so traumatized by trolling that any criticism is interpreted as an attempt to crush their anticipated game. But I am very excited for this game and just wish that graphics were as promising as the rest of the game.

I find it quite annoying that people want threads like this to simply be uncritical hype machines. Don't we get that enough already from media outlets?

DennisK4 said:
It seems people are so traumatized by trolling that any criticism is interpreted as an attempt to crush their anticipated game. But I am very excited for this game and just wish that graphics were as promising as the rest of the game.

I find it quite annoying that people want threads like this to simply be uncritical hype machines. Don't we get that enough already from media outlets?
There's a difference between "criticism" and "this isn't the Witcher 2", Dennis. :lol

Mr_Brit

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Well, not really. It's confirmed to "deliver a similar experience to the console version". Stuff like texture sizes and such will have been slightly adjusted for display on a computer screen. The difference won't be day-and-night, but it won't look completely identical, either.
Maybe not identical but pretty similar outside resolution/AA/framerate.

Lakitu

st5fu
DennisK4 said:
I have been led to believe that they are not doing anything to make a superior PC version except higher resolution and AA. So minus the resolution, I am judging the graphics as what we can expect.

I would love to be wrong of course and if they release some kickass PC screenshots, I guarantee I will give them a fair shake.

Right, I didn't hear that about the PC version. I guess basing it on the 360 version is valid.

I don't find it a problem myself, you're free to criticize as much as you want. Personally, after playing 200 hours+ vanilla Oblivion, this looks a large enough leap for me..

Dennis

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
There's a difference between "criticism" and "this isn't the Witcher 2", Dennis. :lol
I used The Witcher 2 simply because it is the most recent game and one that most of GAF would be familiar with given its high profile.

The point is of course that I don't feel that Skyrim is current with the graphical standard for such a high profile RPG.

When screenshots are released, they will naturally be commented upon.

Some people just can't stand to see anything critical about the game.

wit3tyg3r

DennisK4 said:

No, I understand all that. But the issue is that demand is for the 360. Not the PC. I, myself, am a PC gamer. I haven't touched my PS3 or my 360 in many months because I primarily play PC games. Bethesda, like any other business, is looking at profit. If Bethesda went PC-exclusive, that would be perfectly fine by me (and many others). But the fact that they are leading on 360 is bringing a whole array of problems. If they waited for next-gen, things would be a LOT better. I will agree that it's their fault for leading on 360, but that was a business choice.

And I do apologize in bursting out with rage like I did. It's just that almost every post from you in every Skyrim thread has been bashing the graphics and it just gets old and annoying after a while.

I think we can both agree that we wish the lead platform was the PC, but unfortunately it's not. If Beth waited until next-gen, we wouldn't be having these disputes. Todd Howard did say that they were breaking tradition by developing 2 TES games within the same generation. It's good for business, but obviously requires some sacrifices to be made.

Can we call a truce on this?

subversus said:
Frankly speaking graphics (textures) don't look so hot. Two weeks ago I'd post something like "lol Dennis, you again" but not anymore...

Textures will be better for the PC version as always. They always allow PC users to up the resolution of the textures. The only things that won't be changed are the 3D meshes. But that, again, is because they are leading on the 360 and not the PC.

ElyrionX

Jarmel said:
It's like none of you have played Bethesda games before. There are reasons why their graphics aren't topnotch.

Because they allocate more resources to making sure the game is bug-free and stable across all platforms?

Oh, wait..........

DennisK4 said:
I used The Witcher 2 simply because it is the most recent game and one that most of GAF would be familiar with given its high profile.
I know, I know. I'm simply referring to your first post upsetting a lot of people. And frankly, saying "The graphics don't look so hot as I would've liked them to" comes across a lot better than "Doesn't look like the Witcher 2".

ElyrionX said:
Because they allocate more resources to making sure the game is bug-free and stable across all platforms?

Oh, wait..........
:lol

Dennis

Banned
People are A-OK with mercilessly bashing upcoming Wii games or games from small, typically European, developers but woe be upon those that dare be critical of games from big name, media darling developers.

Isn't is enough that the professional games media read like propaganda? Does NeoGAF have to be the same?

The bigger the developer and budget, the more polish we should reasonably expect, including the graphics.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
DennisK4 said:

The point is of course that I don't feel that Skyrim is current with the graphical standard for such a high profile RPG.

I'm all for handing out justice where it's due on lazy devs, but can we at least keep this thread clean 'till we see PC images?

It's both hard and silly to judge a game we haven't seen yet or by how it looks on ancient hardware.

Assumptions will not make your silly arguments any better no matter how many times you try to prove it. Wait for the evidence, then blast them all you want.

Trickster

DennisK4 said:

People doesn't really want threads like this to be what you claim. The reason people get annoyed at your posts is because your posting stinks of elitism and are downright dumb. When People don't agree with your oppinion you start posting stuff like this -
DennisK4 said:
The only thing embarrassing here are the graphics and the apologists.
DennisK4 said:
Low-standards people like you are whats wrong with gaming.

There is no reason whatsoever not to hold games up against the best - in this case graphics.

Push forward or die.
When you post like that you're not gonna get many fans

Here's another quote from one of your posts btw.
DennisK4 said:
Except the only thing I am bitching about is the graphics.
This is very true, you're not bitching about anything but the graphics, thing is though. ALL your posts are about the graphics, so bassically the only thing people see you do is bitch about the game in this topic.

Piecake

DennisK4 said:
People are A-OK with mercilessly bashing upcoming Wii games or games from small, typically European, developers but woe be upon those that dare be critical of games from big name media darling developers.

Isn't is enough that the professional games media read like propaganda? Does NeoGAF have to be the same?

The bigger the developer and budget, the more polish we should reasonably expect, including the graphics.

That post makes absolutely no sense. First of all, if the posters here arent one of those 'people' who bash Wii games for their crappy graphics, then you really don't have a point. What is even more confusing is that you seem to admit that there are technical limitations when developing for the Wii, but then completely ignore that when talking about games developed for the 360 and PS3 - hint: Skyrim is one of those games.

Could they have made the PC and console games separately on two different engines? - which it seems like you want them to do. I guess, but that seems like a utterly stupid business decision and a waste of money.

Oh, and I don't even really like Bethesda. I thought Morrowind was decent. Oblivion just sucked. Never bothered with Fallout 3 since I really dislike the setting. That said, Skyrim seems interesting and it looks pretty damn good, but comparing the game graphically to a PC exclusive is just absurd.

Dennis

Banned
Trickster said:
People doesn't really want threads like this to be what you claim. The reason people get annoyed at your posts is because your posting stinks of elitism and are downright dumb. When People don't agree with your oppinion you start posting stuff like this -

When you post like that you're not gonna get many fans

Here's another quote from one of your posts btw.

This is very true, you're not bitching about anything but the graphics, thing is though. ALL your posts are about the graphics, so bassically the only thing people see you do is bitch about the game in this topic.
You are selectively quoting and not including the crap I was responding to. My responses were in the same spirit.

I don't want fans.

As for the bitching, I bitch about what I want to be different - the graphics. Whats the point in simply praising the other aspects of game to the heavens? Everybody else is doing that already.

Or do you suggest that to write one critical thing we must first post one positive thing to make sure that insecure gamers don't feel that their game is under attack? I am sorry but that is too silly.

Rad-

DennisK4 said:

One post is enough to criticize something, you don't have to fill every Skyrim topic with dozens of similar posts.

Dennis

Banned
Gonaria said:
That post makes absolutely no sense. First of all, if the posters here arent one of those 'people' who bash Wii games for their crappy graphics, then you really don't have a point. What is even more confusing is that you seem to admit that there are technical limitations when developing for the Wii, but then completely ignore that when talking about games developed for the 360 and PS3.
Of course my argument makes sense. The game is coming out on the PC so it will be judged as such.

Technical limitations for the 360 is of interest to that version. There is absolutely zero, I repeat zero, technical reason that they can't implement up to date tech for the PC version. It is a choice they made not to - and I am criticizing that choice.

DennisK4 said:
People are A-OK with mercilessly bashing upcoming Wii games or games from small, typically European, developers but woe be upon those that dare be critical of games from big name, media darling developers.

Or maybe people just actually think that what we have seen from Skyrim actually looks good? Maybe there is no secret agenda behind it, but just honest opinions?

I know I like the look from it, so I guess that I´m an enemy to the people now.

615805_20110419_640screen002.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Rad- said:
One post is enough to criticize something, you don't have to fill every Skyrim topic with dozens of similar posts.
And I haven't.

Don't all rush in to disagree with me and then complain when I defend my position.

I try to reply to people. Doesn't mean I post dozens of similar posts.

Here is what happened: I posted one time, "Not exactly The Witcher 2 is it" and now many posts later people still have sore butts....

I guess before daring to write something like that I should have made a few posts groveling before the game to soften the blow.

Trickster

DennisK4 said:
You are selectively quoting and not including the crap I was responding to. My responses were in the same spirit.
I don't really care what you are responding to, I'm just trying to explain to your why people get annoyed with your posts

DennisK4 said:
I don't want fans.
It's called a figure of speech

DennisK4 said:
As for the bitching, I bitch about what I want to be different - the graphics. Whats the point in simply praising the other aspects of game to the heavens? Everybody else is doing that already.
Oh please, you're probably the most well known graphic whore on all of neogaf. The reason you're in here bitching about graphics instead of discussing the gameplay elements is because you care more about how the game looks.

DennisK4 said:
Or do you suggest that to write one critical thing we must first post one positive thing to make sure that insecure gamers don't feel that their game is under attack? I am sorry but that is too silly
No, I don't. Again, I'm trying to explain to you why people get annoyed at you when you post.

wit3tyg3r

DennisK4 said:
Of course my argument makes sense. The game is coming out on the PC so it will be judged as such.

Technical limitations for the 360 is of interest to that version. There is absolutely zero, I repeat zero, technical reason that they can't implement up to date tech for the PC version. It is a choice they made not to - and I am criticizing that choice.

Why would they do the meshes twice? That's more work, more time, and more money. They aren't leading on PC because the demand is on 360. It takes weeks to polish a 3D mesh with a high-poly count. And building it again just for a lower quality system is not beneficial to the process. Ask anybody with 3D modeling experience about this. If you ask them to do two versions of every mesh (one low-poly, one high-poly), they would laugh at you and ask you to learn 3D yourself and do the work yourself. It's just stupid to think that it's simple to make the PC version better when they are going multiplatform. They basically would have to build the game twice.

I always get excited when a Skyrim thread gets bumped because I think it means more news. But instead I just see Dennis stirring up a storm with his graphics nonsense, making everyone go crazy.

Guys, you're breaking my heart. :(

Dennis

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Or maybe people just actually think that what we have seen from Skyrim actually looks good? Maybe there is no secret agenda behind it, but just honest opinions?

I know I like the look from it, so I guess that I´m an enemy to the people now.

615805_20110419_640screen002.jpg
Oh, I am sure people are sincere in their praise for the visuals. I just happen to think we could have expected even better.

And I most definitely feel there is double standard in regards to games from big developers. They are hyped no matter what, while smaller devs get no breaks at all.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
DennisK4 said:
Oh, I am sure people are sincere in their praise for the visuals. I just happen to think we could have expected even better.

And I most definitely feel there is double standard in regards to games from big developers. They are hyped no matter what, while smaller devs get no breaks at all.

Except for Dragon Age 2. What a mess that was game. Sad times.

I can say that I'm quite proud that I dont expect more from the developers from a technical standpoint that what I see in that picture.

Well ok, I do want good animations and a solid framerate when I see it in action.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
CecilRousso said:
I can say that I'm quite proud that I dont expect more from the developers from a technical standpoint that what I see in that picture.

Well ok, I do want good animations and a solid framerate when I see it in action.

why are you proud? I can't fathom the logic. You don't want the game to look better?

subversus said:
why are you proud? I can't fathom the logic. You don't want the game to look better?

If it looks even better, than of course that´s a good thing, but I like that I don´t any need to join the rage as soon a screenshot is posted that shows a detail that some other developer has managed to do better. I don´t want to be that guy that gets annoyed by graphics like the one in the screenshot I posted a bit up here. I just dont. That among the best graphics you can find among open world RPG´s and that really has to be good enough for me, otherwise I would be dissapointed in myself. :)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
The textures appear to be worse than I would have expected and hoped for, but fortunately as someone who plays on PC that is always fixed by the community. Won't stop me from buying the game.

bengraven

DennisK4 said:

Brilliantly said and a really good point.

I still don't care about graphics and all, but the PC version should get some special attention when it comes to performance and extras.

GhaleonEB

DennisK4 said:

I'm still wondering why you've embarked on these rants before seeing the PC version. They might (and probably will) be entirely valid after, but I find it incredibly funny that you're jumping the gun to rage that the Xbox 360 version of the game does not look as good as The Witcher 2 on PC. I mean, no really? Who would have thought?

UrbanRats

DennisK4 said:

Sounds like a reasonable argument to me.
Granted, we haven't seen the PC version yet, but they've said there wont be much improvements.

Mr_Brit

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm still wondering why you've embarked on these rants before seeing the PC version. They might (and probably will) be entirely valid after, but I find it incredibly funny that you're jumping the gun to rage that the Xbox 360 version of the game does not look as good as The Witcher 2 on PC. I mean, no really? Who would have thought?
Oh come on, the PC version is all but assured to look 95% identical to the 360 version, Todd Howard himself said so.

Keikoku

Banned
TheExorzist said:
Wow, so Skyrim has bad graphics now. Hilarious.
You gotta love those hardcore PC gamers.

It's Dennis2K. He's not even able to appreciate a good art direction. Just let him stick to Two Worlds 2.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Keikoku said:
It's Dennis2K. He's not even able to appreciate a good art direction. Just let him stick to Two Worlds 2.
Wow, so he has different expectations to others and he's being criticised for holding them. Truth is that Bethesda could deliver something a lot better looking than what we're getting on PC, that doesn't mean that what we're getting suddenly looks bad but that PC gamers expect something better.

Top Bottom