• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim for Nintendo Switch is now available for Pre-Purchase on the eShop

Grylvak

Title says it all. Now available for pre-purchase/pre-load.

Didn't see a thread on this so remove if old.

Supported Languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian & Russian

Download size: 14.3GB

oxCvcGO.jpg

EDarkness

I might pick this up at some point. I was never a fan of the art design of the Elder Scrolls games, but Skyrim looks to be a bit better than usual, so I may give it a shot.

czk51

I've been holding out for a long, long time to get this on Switch. It just so happens to be the deal of the week on (NZ) PSN. I had to go PS4, as for the same price on Switch I could afford nearly 3 copies on PS4. Infact, I did buy 2 copies, one for me and one for my Mothers birthday.

It's my first time playing, and several times being confined to the PS4 + monitor I have set up I've thought 'actually.. should have got the Switch version' haha. Maybe second hand further down the line.

ChuyMasta

What kind of commitment do you need to 100% this game?

I 100% Breath of the wild twice. Is skyrim even bigger?

Blam

I would say with all the DLC, and everything not bigger in size? But it's got a shitload of stuff at every corner, all the little side quests hidden away for sure make up the smaller map size, but even then that's only if you fast travel everywhere, if you don't do that then you're gonna be playing for a long time.

But I just wanna know is the creation club on this or no?

ChuyMasta

I would say with all the DLC, and everything not bigger in size? But it's got a shitload of stuff at every corner, all the little side quests hidden away for sure make up the smaller map size, but even then that's only if you fast travel everywhere, if you don't do that then you're gonna be playing for a long time.

But I just wanna know is the creation club on this or no?

I might bite then. I loved completing BotW even if there was no reward for collecting all korok seeds and unveiling all map locations.

Even tho I ain’t played Skyrim or doom the prices they’re asking is not reasonable I’ll get doom on switch when price gets down to £29.99. Considering I could get it on my pc for £5 on cdkeys lol

Not Drake

This is on top of my "getting a used physical copy before Christmas after the early adopters get bored and sell it online for half the price" list along with Wolfenstein. I'm really excited for it for some reason. I've played Skyrim on launch on my old-ass 360 and never really got back to the game. Portability is a selling point here.

sixamp

its $40 on pc so it should be $40 on switch. I love my switch but games in general are way too expensive on it

Teuoxton

You may spend even more time playing Skyrim to 100% because it has more quests than Zelda. It's a pretty satisfying size overall and you will need a decent time commitment to see everything.

Edit: BotW is apparently 360 sq. Km, base Witcher 3 is 135 sq. Km, GTAV is 81 sq. Km, Skyrim is only 37 sq. Km

I might bite then. I loved completing BotW even if there was no reward for collecting all korok seeds and unveiling all map locations.
It is different than BotW... and there is a lot more content in terms of quests with chracters/story/dialog. It still comes down to whether or not you enjoy playing.

It is estimated that you could play every quest (other than the procedurally generated quests) in 300 hours or so. But keep in mind you will have very different experiences based on your race and how you play (warrior/thief/mage/etc). Most people replay as different characters.

I would recommend playing with primarily stealth/archer as the bow gameplay is incredibly satisfying (shooting an arrow from 50 metres away, accounting for gravity, getting a headshot, then going to collect your arrow from the enemy corpse... never gets old for me). Sword combat is.. meh.

I am jealous if you haven't played it. So good!

ChuyMasta

It is different than BotW... and there is a lot more content in terms of quests with chracters/story/dialog. It still comes down to whether or not you enjoy playing.

It is estimated that you could play every quest (other than the procedurally generated quests) in 300 hours or so. But keep in mind you will have very different experiences based on your race and how you play (warrior/thief/mage/etc). Most people replay as different characters.

I would recommend playing with primarily stealth/archer as the bow gameplay is incredibly satisfying (shooting an arrow from 50 metres away, accounting for gravity, getting a headshot, then going to collect your arrow from the enemy corpse... never gets old for me). Sword combat is.. meh.

I am jealous if you haven't played it. So good!

Aleight. It is a deal for me. I've never played skyrim so the price tag doesnt bother me

SirNinja

Skyrim doesn't have a % counter, as that would be really hard to do for a number of reasons (some people/factions literally give you infinite quests, plus it kinda goes against the game's "do what you want, don't do what you don't want" vibe), but suffice to say it will keep you busy. HowLongToBeat currently has an average time of 222 hours for the "completionist" run.

Vitacat

Been playing Skyrim for years on PC. Love the game. But without mod support, it would not be the same experience to me, and I'd miss mods a LOT. So, while I'm still interested in the Switch version, I'll probably wait for a price reduction in light of no mod support.

$60 for a 2011 title, i actually lol'd.

And why does it deserve a thread?

During steam sales you can get the superior PC version(mod support etc) that can pretty much run on a toaster PC for like $10 or maybe less?

Smash Kirby

Neo Member
I have four copies of Skyrim, one of them I have actually paid for. I'm more than happy to pick up a second copy for the Switch. It is the reason why I laptop game, ability to play wherever I want to.

SirNinja

During steam sales you can get the superior PC version(mod support etc) that can pretty much run on a toaster PC for like $10 or maybe less?

See my post above. Not everyone has PCs that can run even the original Skyrim. This one is mostly for the Nintendo folks in that pool.

Or for people who want to play portable Skyrim with some Zelda items. Don't underestimate the novelty factor...

Also, this is likely going to be on a lot of gift lists for people, and most of the people buying (parents, etc.) will be wholly unconcerned about the price when doing so.

mindsale

How much are the remastered versions which run at 1080p and higher on PS4 / Pro Xbone / X? They've been out for a year+.

Steven Universe

Neo Member

It’s based off of the HD Special Edition that came out recently. My “toaster” PC could run the game, but it was at horrible frame rates, draw distances, and graphics. Not really enticing or fun to play. It deserves its own thread because it’s news to Switch owners who haven’t started preloading the game yet if they’re getting it.

$60 is a lot... but they are clearly going for the Nintendo fans that didn't get these games the last few generations. For them, considering the scale of the game, it's still a good deal. For everyone else portability may be enough to be worth it.

and it may not be high res/settings... but it's running on something that could fit in a toaster which is pretty impressive ;)

A.M_Light

Neo Member
How much are the remastered versions which run at 1080p and higher on PS4 / Pro Xbone / X? They've been out for a year+.
It is currently on sale for 18$ in the eu ps store deal of the week . I really would have preferred to play it on the switch because of the portability but not for 60$ !!!

Regginator

100%? Definitely in the same ballpark as BotW (not counting the silly ass Korok Seeds), probably even longer. Think ~200/300 hours.

Cheech

That's what worries me as well. I am curious to see how this sells. I felt like we had enough Skyrim ports but was obviously wrong.

One of the best games I've ever played, but GTFO at the price. I suppose if you're brand new to the world of video games and decided to jump in with a Nintendo Switch... but still, robbery. I'd imagine the price will drop like a rock after the holidays.

SeppOCE

Imagine people wanting it on the switch and not pc tho.

If any game is worth at least $60, it's Skyrim.

Is the Creation Club compatible with this release? I know it's pretty shitty to charge for a survival mod, but that actually elevates the game enough to where it is worth it.

TannerDemoz

$60 price tag is a bit of a joke but justified (EDIT: makes commercial sense) given when the game is releasing. This will be on a lot of Xmas wish lists so I don't think many will be put off buy it.

So I’ve decided to travel once again to my old distant home of Whiterun. It’s been 7 years since I’ve been there. The only problem is that pesky Mario has stolen all but .1% of my hard drive space and I need an extra memory card, one large enough to hold these 14 gigs.

personally dont see the 60$ price tag as an issue and neither should a new nintendo/switch audience.

i played this on ps3, but if im craving a game down the line into the switch's life i'd consider nabbing this again

Raven77

If any game is worth at least $60, it's Skyrim.

Is the Creation Club compatible with this release? I know it's pretty shitty to charge for a survival mod, but that actually elevates the game enough to where it is worth it.

They said there are no plans for mods. Personally I think it's a huge missed opportunity. I would have picked it up at full price with mod support but have decided to wait for it's inevitable price drop either pre or post Christmas.

The Hermit

Switch has so many huge games. BotW, Mario Odyssey, Skyrim and LA Noire.

I think the term "portable game" is dead now.

Top Bottom