• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim gets high res texture patch with the release of the Creation Kit

Bethesda head honcho Pete Hines has a surprise up his sleeve – and it’s not that the Creation Kit for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be released this week.

Hines already confirmed that much via his Twitter account, where he also mentioned the download would “have a special surprise with it”.

“What could it be!?” he asked – and the internet answered.

In a rapidly growing thread on the game’s official forums, cogs started turning in clever gamer skulls, and a potential conclusion was reached: A High-Res graphical pack for the PC version of the game, something many fans have wanted since launch (if not before!).

Backing up this theory, one gamer uncovered the following image by snooping around through Steam documentation:

Read more from Player Attack: http://www.playerattack.com/news/2012/02/05/report-skyrim-high-res-pack-out-tuesday/#ixzz1lYADMnhH

Here is the biggest hint from the Steam registry:

xKySv.png

Dennis

Banned
Great news if true.

But I find the notion of adding this months after the game is released to be bizarre when you think about it. Just make the damn textures available when I buy your damn game.

DaBuddaDa

But I find the notion of adding this months after the game is released to be bizarre when you think about it. Just make the damn textures available when I buy your damn game.

But then there would be less to keep your game a topic of discussion months after launch!

If this is to be the case, do you think it would be supported in that supposed one-step mod installation feature that Steam is supposed to be getting, or would a high res texture patch be too complex for that?

If this is to be the case, do you think it would be supported in that supposed one-step mod installation feature that Steam is supposed to be getting, or would a high res texture patch be too complex for that?

Nah, that's probably one of the easiest types of mods, in fact.

I was wondering how they were going to distribute this, but you pretty much just answered my question: via an official mod on the Steam Workshop :p

Emitan

Welcome to The Elder Scrolls. That shouldn't change. Now, when someone tells you 'here, take my sword' and gives you Steel Armor instead, we have a problem.

I wish I got swords. Its like "thanks for killing all those zombies, here's some apples"

NBtoaster

Nah, that's probably one of the easiest types of mods, in fact.

I was wondering how they were going to distribute this, but you pretty much just answered my question: via an official mod on the Steam Workshop :p

Don't think Steam workshop content gets added to the registry.

More likely to be something you can download from the store page like DLC.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

The irony of this statement with regards to a Bethesda game is strong enough to shatter my pelvis.

Derrick01

Banned
I'll have to wait for mods to come out to completely fix the loot scaling before I can play again, but I guess better textures is nice.

Hasn't the modding community already taken care of this?

Most mods either just take the textures and sharpen them (which looks like crap) or make their own (which can look nice, but they're different textures). I imagine these official textures are the same ones, except larger and less compressed.

Yasae

Banned
Great news if true.

You're a corporate apologist, but even you should know better than to make statements like these.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Bethesda compiled PC target binaries without compiler optimization flags enabled. A mod worked around it and boosted performance significantly. Patch 1.4 officially fixed it.

3rdman

Now all it's left is a price drop.

I held off until the X-Mas sale so I scored it at $40.00...fair price for such a great game. Hopefully this drops soon...I've been playing everything except the main quest and any of the major guilds until I wipe out my miscellaneous quests. :p

bengraven

Played for a straight month and still didn't beat it, nor played the Mages Guild and still have like 40 misc. quests left. Then took the last few months off.

I was already waiting on the CK to start playing again, but I'll be waiting for this now as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Does the new patch optimise any of the PC version's code after that embarrassing discovery?

Have you though it over enough to answer the original "huh" reply?

If you were on the beta patches, it has been improved tons. The 1.4 final release will fix more than you know. It's definitely headed in the right direction on PC.

But its already a fun game. Nearly 150 hours on a character should be proof enough.

Seriously. That's like someone saying I can't wait until some reader edits Lord of the Rings and makes it readable.

I'm definitely looking forward to fan made quests and content, but I can't stand visual or game mechanic mods.

If you don't like the game as the developers made it, it's not the game for you. No need to disrespect all the artists behind it.

jayhawker

Seriously. That's like someone saying I can't wait until some reader edits Lord of the Rings and makes it readable.

I'm definitely looking forward to fan made quests and content, but I can't stand visual or game mechanic mods.

If you don't like the game as the developers made it, it's not the game for you. No need to disrespect all the artists behind it.

I agree with you on graphics mods, especially texture mods. High res texture mods are so ugly.

But game mechanic mods? I couldn't play Oblivion without OOO.

UrbanRats

What? Is it not possible to dislike some key choices, therefore wait for fan made modifications (even radical ones) to enjoy the game fully?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Yea, those dejected developers I can't believe they are creating exhaustive Wiki's and releasing a Creation Kit to alter their masterpiece. /derp

Tain

That's a pretty short-sighted and limiting stance. Why would you turn down elements of a game that you may strongly prefer simply because the original developers didn't make them themselves? It's arbitrary, too, that you'd be fine with fan made quests messing with the structure of the world and not some UI changes.

What kind of performance hit will people see when using high res textures?

It usually depends on your VRAM on your graphics card. Normally, high res textures do not really impact performance all that much, except for some extended load times and a few fps. If your card has 1.5gb and up then there is basically no impact providing the textures are not of an obscenely high resolution.

Top Bottom