• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Gigantic Info Flood And Screens [Update: Tons Of New Info In OP]

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
isamu said:
disappointing about the PC version looking almost exactly like the console versions beside higher res image and texture quality.
Last I checked, resolution + fps + improved textures = massive visual improvement.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Last I checked, resolution + fps + improved textures = massive visual improvement.
Most people expect more than the staple 60FPS/1080p that the PC version is guaranteed anyway.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mr_Brit said:
Most people expect more than the staple 60FPS/1080p that the PC version is guaranteed anyway.
Bethesda didn't do anything special on PC beyond "the expected" for Oblivion or Fallout 3 so I'm not exactly holding my breath here and I'm not sure why anyone else would be. I would be disappointed if they had spoiled us before, but they haven't.

Emitan

Ickman3400 said:
There's few ideas that are worse than this. Keep multiplayer out of my massive open world rpgs and make even more content. The mere thought of this having it makes my jaw clench up a bit.
The guys who would be developing coop aren't the content producers. I think coop would be really fun, but only if it was thrown in. I want to adventure with a friend, but I just want it there, but focused on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sounds like their still going in the action/adventure RPG-lite style that Oblivion pushed the series towards, though it seems like they intend to make it good this time, and not a clumsy mess.

I'm still not sure on it. It doesn't sound like a deep RPG and I'm pretty sure Bethesda have no interest in ever creating one of those ever again. However, it does sound like they've polished up a lot of Oblivion's problems, and their art and direction looks quite cohesive.

I'll bite again. Should make for some fun adventuring.

theBishop

Banned
Artadius said:
The only reason I can think of getting the PS3 version in this case is if you have a shit PC.

Or you be trollin.

My PC can handle it. But if the PC version lacks gamepad support, that's a dealbreaker.

Emitan

theBishop said:
My PC can handle it. But if the PC version lacks gamepad support, that's a dealbreaker.
FO3 and NV have gamepad support. And I don't know why you'd even consider buying an objectively inferior version.

iNvid02

i want gamepad support too, i just cant do keyboard and mouse.

is 360 pad support mandatory or is it still a choice for devs?

Emitan

iNvidious01 said:
i want gamepad support too, i just cant do keyboard and mouse.

is 360 pad support mandatory or is it still a choice for devs?
I think it's mandatory for Games For Windows titles.

RPGCrazied

I'm curious how this will run on PS3. If bad, I'll stick with PC I guess. I kinda like trophies, so if PS3 can handle a decent framerate, and use some AA, I'll go with it.

Tobuscus, the guy that did the pretty amazing Halo: Reach and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood literal trailers, has recently released one for Skyrim. I wish it were as good as the Reach and Brotherhood ones, but it's not. Gets better with repeated listening, though. :lol

There's also a GTTV interview with Todd Howard (Part 2) up. Nothing new in it, though, so unless you want to devour every bit of Skyrim information, you can go ahead and skip it.

Billychu said:

yet for some reason bioshock 2 does not have it /bitter.

This game will likely have it, I'm 99% sure of that now. Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas had it.

Apparently, Skyrim's major cities will be walled off and in seperate loading cells, like in Oblivion. Not that I expected anything differently.

Emitan

Blue Ninja said:
Apparently, Skyrim's major cities will be walled off and in seperate loading cells, like in Oblivion. Not that I expected anything differently.
They weren't in my version ;)

Danneee

Blue Ninja said:

Expected as you say but easily moddable in the PC version.

But then I take for granted that the PC version will be as mod friendly as Oblivion is?

Qwomo

Danneee said:
But then I take for granted that the PC version will be as mod friendly as Oblivion is?
Bethesda knows that the quality of their games depends on the involvement of the community; they'll be releasing mod tools for Skyrim just as they did for Oblivion.

Mod support on consoles is a pipe dream, though, especially for the 360.

Billychu said:
Pretty sure Todd Howard mentioned trying to get mod support on consoles, so...
Even if he'd manage to get mods on consoles, there's still limitations. I think stuff like completely open cities would be too much for the consoles to handle.

And yeah, the Creation Kit will be released alongside Skyrim for PC.

Emitan

I wasn't saying the open cities mod would work, I was just pointing out how mod supportive (and dependent) Beth Soft is.

Blue Ninja said:

Gah....

Hopefully this wont be the case in the Witcher 2!

Salaadin

nelsonroyale said:
Gah....

Hopefully this wont be the case in the Witcher 2!

Witcher 2 has no loads based on the recent previews. There are small hitches for loads here and there (based on what we see in early beta videos) but that might be smoothed out for release.

For Skyrim, loads for each city wont bug me but I hated how individual cities in Oblivion were cut up into "parts" with loads for each of them. Hopefully its just one load per city, not one load for each city part. Ideally, itd be no loads at all.

edgefusion

Salaadin said:
For Skyrim, loads for each city wont bug me but I hated how individual cities in Oblivion were cut up into "parts" with loads for each of them. Hopefully its just one load per city, not one load for each city part. Ideally, itd be no loads at all.

Yeah, one load I can deal with but if I spend more than 50% of my game time staring at a loading screen like every other Bethesda game I'll probably rent it or get it second-hand. Bethesda seems to be the king of loading screens though so I don't hold out much hope Skyrim will be any different.

Exuro

Billychu said:
It's suppose to be but there are GFWL titles that don't support it like Bioshock 2 and DOW2(not sure how that would work). Don't see why it matters though, Skyrim should be a Steamworks title. Wonder if Valve will start pushing companies to support gamepads for their comfy couch mode whenever they get that finished.

UrbanRats said:
yeah, with some severe (IIRC) fps drop.

maybe the new engine will allow for some flexibility. Like someone said they were able to make Witcher 2 with no loads.

Granted Witcher 2 is not a massive open world game...

The aforementioned 'Walled Cities'-bit came from a recent interview Todd Howard did with german website Gameswelt. I don't reckon these tiny tidbits are worth an entirely new topic, so I'll just add 'em here.

- The five major cities in Skyrim will be walled-off in a seperate loading zone.
- There will be racism and racial conflicts, mostly between Nords and Elves.
- Your sneak status is shown by an eyeball. If it's open, you're detected, if it's closed, you're not.
- Alchemy has seen some tiny changes.
- About half of the game's dungeons are small, and can be completed in about 15 minutes. The other half are more lengthy, including a few 'epic, multi-hour dungeons'.
- You will encounter Necromancers during the game.
- The Nine Divines and the Daedra are in the game, some of them offering unique quests.
- There are mammoths, deer, elk and rabbits.
- The devs did their best to really 'flesh out' the different creatures and races. Their lairs will look different, the stuff they'll sometimes carry unique stuff with them, and so on.
- Mammoths are apparently often encountered near Giants.
- We will see more creatures in the nearby future.
- Crafting skills include armoring, woodcutting, mining, cooking and working on leather. They are not mini-games.
- Some crafting skills have special menus, like cooking.
- There are raw and cooked versions of each food..

Gorgon

Never cared much for the ES series, but I'm loving the "Riddle of Steel" vibe from Skyrim. In fact it's my most anticipated game this year after LA Noire.

I just wonder when will we be abble to finally climb up buildings and towers to get inside through windows and such in action RPGs in true Conanesque fashion. That shit is one of the coolest things about "roguing" and is especially cool when you read stories like "Tower of the Elephant". Maybe it's a next-next-gen feature.

Lakitu

st5fu
There's a new screen in Xbox World 360 (in UK). Hard to describe but it's a house or hut on a rocky pathwhay. It looks beautiful.

I do have a little bit of new info for you guys, from a German PCGames article. There's too little of it to be thread-worthy, so I'll post it here.

- The in-game map was compared to Google Maps. As has been mentioned before, it'll be in 3D, and possibly a real-time overhead view of the world.
- You can't make notes on the map (though 'notes' could mean custom markers, I'm not sure)
- Apparently, wind will cause water to behave differently.
- There'll be 8 or 9 smaller cities, next to the five big walled-off ones.
- You can buy houses.
- There will apparently be connectivity to social networks such as Facebook.

bengraven

Stahsky said:
I get way too excited every time this thread is bumped.

Jesus christ, I literally closed other tabs to read this thread. Disappointing.

Blue Ninja said:
I do have a little bit of new info for you guys, from a German PCGames article. There's too little of it to be thread-worthy, so I'll post it here.

- The in-game map was compared to Google Maps. As has been mentioned before, it'll be in 3D, and possibly a real-time overhead view of the world.
- You can't make notes on the map (though 'notes' could mean custom markers, I'm not sure)
- You can buy houses.

Everything here sounds good though, except the social network thing. Then again I doubt it's very harmful. "Graven is in Riverwood and it's 2nd Seed etc".

- in game map real time? So we can zoom into another area and know what enemies are walking around? No thanks.

- no notes? Come on, really?

- 5 big cities with 8-9 small cities is kind of good news. I'm assuming the 8-9 are basically the "settlements" of past TES games. I miss the ton of little villages from Morrowind though.

- houses, obviously there will be houses

Dead Man

Blue Ninja said:

- You can buy houses.
Glad buying houses is in, but how the hell do you integrate FB into a game like this... and why?

Lakitu said:
There's a new screen in Xbox World 360 (in UK). Hard to describe but it's a house or hut on a rocky pathwhay. It looks beautiful.

Just found it, looks pretty awesome. There's another new pic, with the main character about to face off against a skeleton in a cave with both standing in a very shallow stream.

Top Bottom