• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim review thread. I think they're trying to say it's good.

Empty

i'm not picking on skyrim in particular, you can say the same for all the big games this fall and long before, but those lists of scores in review thread ops always annoy me. not because the games are getting high scores and praise, but because all the scores are basically identical. be nice to have some diversity of opinion on highly marketed games.

watched the gt review - i don't think you can really spoil a tes game - and am now regretting my decision to wait on this one. snow levels in games are my weakpoint and this is a fucking snow world to explore.

ultron87

I look forward to playing this early next year when I'll be finished with the 5 games I'm playing right now + Assassin's Creed + Zelda.

RPGCrazied

I just watched the GT review. How come they never talk about the performance between the various consoles anymore? Just like with Arkham City. I really want to know about the PS3 version. Does it have any AA? What about screen tearing? Which I saw some of that in the GT review.

Biggzy

RPGCrazied said:
I just watched the GT review. How come they never talk about the performance between the various consoles anymore? Just like with Arkham City. I really want to know about the PS3 version. Does it have any AA? What about screen tearing? Which I saw some of that in the GT review.

Probably because they only received the Xbox 360 version, which I believe was the only version to be sent out. In terms of anti-aliasing for the 360 version I believe it has 4xAA.

Daft_Cat

Excellent reviews.

This will be my first Elder Scrolls game. I flat out couldn't get into Oblivion from watching friends play..and while Morrowind always looked really great, I never found time to actually pick it up.

RPGCrazied

Biggzy said:
Probably because they only received the Xbox 360 version, which I believe was the only version to be sent out. In terms of anti-aliasing for the 360 version I believe it has 4xAA.

I'm fearing the PS3 version will run like crap and use no AA. :( I don't have a 360. I guess I could get the PC version, since my PC rig can probably max the game, but I really want trophies.

I knew I took tomorrow off for a good reason! I hated Oblivion just enough to play it for about 150 hours, but it was no where near the game Morrowind was. I would have played the hell out of Skyrim with 7's and 8's, but it's nice to see this near universal praise.

Steam unlocks at midnight, right? RIGHT???

Effect

rhino4evr said:
Is it sad that I won't be buying this because I absolutely have no time to play a 100+ hour game?

In a similar boat. It's a matter of both money and time. Skyward Sword is already said to be pretty long and I don't have time for two games of that length this holiday season and I love the Zelda series while iffy at best about the Elders Scrolls series even though I am interested in this game. Already spending a lot of money this holiday between games for myself and gifts for others as well. Something had to give. So waiting out for a collection sometime next year or ideally a Wii U version that includes DLC.

MechaX

Interesting stuff. But I'll probably wait until next month to get it when I can actually live like a hermit for three weeks.

Empty said:
i'm not picking on skyrim in particular, you can say the same for all the big games this fall and long before, but those lists of scores in review thread ops always annoy me. not because the games are getting high scores and praise, but because all the scores are basically identical. be nice to have some diversity of opinion on highly marketed games.

That doesn't make sense. If the game is universally praised and people like it, isn't that a good thing?

You can blame "marketing" and "moneyhats" but almost every game that reviews really well (such as Skyrim) is usually because it's a really good game. I can't think of any game in years that got universal appraise that didn't deserve it.

Antagon said:

Holy shit, that's a HUGE difference. I would like to see some more information on this because that is like the opposite for almost every major game that has come out in the past.

MechaX

ii Stryker said:
Well it seems like we have a unanimous choice for GOTY.

Eh. Skyward Sword is still lurking around here somewhere (in other words, review embargo for that is up tonight).

Biggzy

RPGCrazied said:
I'm fearing the PS3 version will run like crap and use no AA. :( I don't have a 360. I guess I could get the PC version, since my PC rig can probably max the game, but I really want trophies.

Well impressions seem to be positive for the PS3 version from fellow GAF members and side by side screen-shots also show very little differences between the two versions- apart from that bug for the 360 version.

flyinpiranha said:
That doesn't make sense. If the game is universally praised and people like it, isn't that a good thing?

You can blame "marketing" and "moneyhats" but almost every game that reviews really well (such as Skyrim) is usually because it's a really good game. I can't think of any game in years that got universal appraise that didn't deserve it.
Oblivion.

rhino4evr said:
Is it sad that I won't be buying this because I absolutely have no time to play a 100+ hour game?
Same. That's why mine has shipped from Gamefly and I'll have it on Saturday and will probably just keep it for a month or two before I admit to myself I'll never be able to get deeper into it.

DaBuddaDa said:
The sheer amount of great games this year is astounding.
Some of the year's least hyped titles have been pretty awesome as well. I can't remember the last time I've ever played this many games in a year and thoroughly enjoyed almost all of them.

RPGCrazied said:
Nice. Seems like better shadows and crisper textures, and I saw 0 tear. I might just get the PS3 version then. Thanks!
Figures this is the one time I queued the 360 version only because I figured the PS3 version wouldn't hold up.

Antagon

RPGCrazied said:

I haven't had much time to play the game yet over the past few days, but I haven't had any performance issues with the ps3 and the game looks great. Don't be affraid to get the ps3 version if that's the one you want.

BlazingDarkness said:
Oblivion.

You didn't like Oblivion. Millions of others did. I still don't see the problem. Of course some games aren't going to be the type you like. I wouldn't rate Starcraft II high because I don't like RTS but why would you want somebody who doesn't enjoy that type of game rating it? I would want people who play RTS games to review it so I can see their take.

It's like having a religious zealot review horror movies, they all get 0/10!

EDIT: I'm starting to regret my 360 purchase and I should have gotten it for the PS3, I'd like to see some more videos at this point. But that's a night and day comparison.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
MechaX said:
Eh. Skyward Sword is still lurking around here somewhere (in other words, review embargo for that is up tonight).

in how many hours?

Hanmik

Metalmurphy said:
oO

Difference in textures is pretty huge, sure it wasn't just some texture loading bug?

don´t think so.. because the also show how the X360 version looks installed and from disc..

X1oSZ.jpg

RPGCrazied

Antagon said:
I haven't had much time to play the game yet over the past few days, but I haven't had any performance issues with the ps3 and the game looks great. Don't be affraid to get the ps3 version if that's the one you want.

That video, and your impressions have qualm my worries. I'll get that version then. :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gravijah said:
what the hell who the hell is eatchildren anyway i have never heard of them before

just looking for clicks i guess

Hey man EC Czech weren't fond of it either.

"Špatná grafika a hratelnost. Dobře, řekl bych. 3.8/10"

- EatChildren.cz

Hanmik said:
don´t think so.. because the also show how the X360 version looks installed and from disc..

Comparison.jpg

Doesn't look bad there, but the part where they zoomed in on the lattice fence is stuck in my head!

Took a SS:
ComparisonLattice.jpg

That's a huge difference to me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
subversus said:

Sold.

Gamesplanet said:
Hello,

Thank you for ordering with http://uk.gamesplanet.com.

We recommend that you keep this email as it contains useful information about your games and your order.

See you soon on http://uk.gamesplanet.com
The GamesPlanet.com Team

Order Summary

Date: 10/11/2011
Order ID:
Your order Status: Validated
Product Price
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Pre-order) 28.99 GBP
Order Grand Total:
28.99 GBP

(Equates to roughly AUD$45.)

red731

EatChildren said:
Hey man EC Czech weren't fond of it either.

"Špatná grafika a hratelnost. Dobře, řekl bych. 3.8/10"

- EatChildren.cz

If I translate that and I think it was already badly translated by google or something, it says -

Bad graphics and gameplay. It's okay, I would say.

Also who would write that, link please.

Gravijah said:
this is fucking hovno

You bad mouthed man! BAD BAD BAD!

Top Bottom