• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Special Edition - Mods Thread: Thomas the Tank Engine Strikes Back

Unicorn

so is the PC special edition any better than original one ?

and if not.... what is the best mod for skyrim for graphic.
Most noticeable thing to me were the shadows are fixed. Not pixelated. Not the hard shift every couple seconds. Maybe mods can make them more consistent, but it was a nice immediate visual improvement.

Lanrutcon

so is the PC special edition any better than original one ?

and if not.... what is the best mod for skyrim for graphic.

Check on ENB RealVision. If you have a machine that can handle it, and the other graphic mods it recommends, then your Skyrim will look insane.

Sanpei

What should i do to install mods on Special Edition ?

Does any tutorial exist ?

Realvision ENB for example...Should i install it on Special Edition version ? Will it make difference visually ?

What should i do to install mods on Special Edition ?

Does any tutorial exist ?

Realvision ENB for example...Should i install it on Special Edition version ? Will it make difference visually ?

Download Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) from Nexus mods. Install it and follow the directory setup procedure it has you do. Then on NexusMods find the mod you want then click install with NMM. NMM will queue it up and download the mod. Then right click the mod in the list when it is done and click install. Now you're done, click Launch Skyrim SE at the top of NMM to start playing. Some mods have extra options available in-game in the options menu, others will have special installers. Whatever the case, read the release notes for each mod you install.

I had 4 free hours to play this yesterday... I spent 3 hours downloading and setting up mods, and another 30 minutes trying to find the remaining ones I wanted but aren't out yet... So I spent 30 minutes playing the game out of 4 hours.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
After spending a good few hours overall just downloading then quickly disabling and deleting various mods, I think I've landed on a good selection.

In this order,

Unofficial Patch
Alternate Start
Even Better Quest Objectives
EBQO/Alternate Start Patch
Cutting Room Floor
Ars Metallica
Dawnguard Map Markers
Gildergreen Regrown
The Paarthurnax Dilemma
Point The Way
50% More Perk Points
Apocalypse Magic
Ordinator Perk Overhaul
Apocalypse/Ordinator Patch
Thunderchild
Sheogorath's Cheat Menu
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul

That's not even 1GB of mods but it changes/will change a lot of things for the better. And the game is running like a dream just now, load times are a few seconds at the most and everything looks and feels great. I'm having a blast with Skyrim all over again.

mandiller

If I install some mods using Nexus Mod Manager, do I have to launch the game through NMM every time to run those mods? Or can I just launch Skyrim through Steam?

It seems that everybody can get access to the CK beta:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods...eta_is_available_for/?st=iuy09qi4&sh=84fbb9f4

Worked for me!

SE Creation Kit already? Things are looking pretty great so far!

If I install some mods using Nexus Mod Manager, do I have to launch the game through NMM every time to run those mods? Or can I just launch Skyrim through Steam?

No, you don't have to. NMM is just for installing and setting up the mods. If you're set, you don't have to open it anymore.

Brohan

Can i mix mods from Nexus and from Bethesda.net??

So far i have been using the NMM to install some mods from nexus (first time modding a game) and i think it has been going well so far but i want to install that ''No vampire attacks'' mod and it is nowhere to be found on the Nexus.

Seems i have no choice but to get it from Bethesda.net but i don't want to mess things up.

Edit: Also, how is the Ordinator perk mod for someone who likes to keep things mostly Vanilla?

Rellik

So far i have been using the NMM to install some mods from nexus (first time modding a game) and i think it has been going well so far but i want to install that ''No vampire attacks'' mod and it is nowhere to be found on the Nexus.

Seems i have no choice but to get it from Bethesda.net but i don't want to mess things up.

Edit: Also, how is the Ordinator perk mod for someone who likes to keep things mostly Vanilla?

Yes you can mix them.

StereoVsn

You can install it manually from a file through NMM. No idea if Bethesda lets you download mods separately though.

Brohan

Yes you can mix them.

Thanks for the quick response! Time to download a few more mods then. :)

Things have mostly gone pretty smooth so far even though it has been my first time modding a game. Haven't run into any problems yet except that i can't get LOOT to work for me but i guess tat's optional anyways.

Anyways thx again.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...Also, how is the Ordinator perk mod for someone who likes to keep things mostly Vanilla?

I think Ordinator is brilliant, but it is a complete overhaul of the original perk trees. Every tree is bigger and (as far as I can tell) all the original perks have been scrapped. So if you want to keep things as close to vanilla as possible, it might not be for you.

any mods that change up/enchance/improve melee combat?

Not looking for chilvary here but ill be honest my entire decision to hop back into skyrim is basically dependent on "do i really wanna do that melee combat again"

GHG

Gold Member
Does anyone know what are the best YouTube channels dedicated to SE modding?

Wondering the same. I check nexus once a day sorted by most endorsed in the last 24h but obviously you'll be missing out on some hidden gems that way.

Bridal has some videos up on the SE already so I'm sure he will be covering it more over the next few weeks:

https://youtube.com/user/Brodual

I also usually follow Gopher's mod vault but he's not yet stated whether he will cover the SE or not.

Edit: Nevermind, gopher also did a video on the SE yesterday so will ne worth following:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JRzLgRvqfDs

I think Ordinator is brilliant, but it is a complete overhaul of the original perk trees. Every tree is bigger and (as far as I can tell) all the original perks have been scrapped. So if you want to keep things as close to vanilla as possible, it might not be for you.

Original perk tree is garbage though so I really would not have any compunctions about replacing it.

Newboi

Sorry if this has been asked before, but have any of the major visual/texture overhauls been ported to SE yet on the PC? I'm not sure which mods are cross compatible and which aren't?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Original perk tree is garbage though so I really would not have any compunctions about replacing it.

I never hated the original perk trees, and as a console gamer I just had to live with them till now, but they were...uninspired (I think that's the right word). Mods like Ordinator definitely make things a whole lot more interesting. It's one of the things that's already got me thinking I can't go back!

eshwaaz

Save file corrupted on XB1. Any of the mods I'm using have known issues?
Unofficial SE patch
Ring of increased carry
Rain and Snow FX
No snow under the roof
Point the way
Violens
Less Aggressive Animals
Lampposts of Skyrim
The Forgotten City
Merchants of Skyrim
Ars Metallica
Cutting Room floor
Elemental Destruction
Hunter's reward
Practice dummies
Spell light dynamic shadows
Open cities

Oynox

Wondering if there is there is a dedicated YT or other community member who concentrates on console mods.. And I hate that I cannot sort mods for one specific system on bethesda.net.

Save file corrupted on XB1. Any of the mods I'm using have known issues?

Did you uninstall any mods during your playthrough?

Your load order looks problematic. It should be closer to:
Unofficial SE patch
Open cities
Cutting Room floor
Point the way
Ars Metallica
followed by the rest. Violens at the bottom.

You want the "big" mods top and the smaller ones at the bottom. Of course there are exceptions.

DOWN

Banned
Wondering if there is there is a dedicated YT or other community member who concentrates on console mods.. And I hate that I cannot sort mods for one specific system on bethesda.net.
Yes you can? You can select the platform you want to view mods for

Truant

Did you uninstall any mods during your playthrough?

Your load order looks problematic. It should be closer to:
Unofficial SE patch
Open cities
Cutting Room floor
Point the way
Ars Metallica
followed by the rest. Violens at the bottom.

You want the "big" mods top and the smaller ones at the bottom. Of course there are exceptions.

Open Cities specifically states that it wants to be loaded near the end, just read the mod description in the in-game mod menu.

Edit: Change log for the Unofficial Patch. They finally fixed the green grindstone bug, and I think the weird z-fighting on the buildings outside Whiterun has been dealt with as well. Neat!

USSEP Fixes
Corrected the remainder of the .hkx files which got missed during the initial conversion. All animation files fixed by the patch should now function correctly.
Fixed Blades helmet and 1st person armor pieces showing up as a missing mesh icon due to the skin partition using strips instead of triangles. (meshes\armor\blades\bladeshelmetf.nif, meshes\armor\blades\1stpersonbladesarmorf_1.nif, meshes\armor\blades\1stpersonbladesarmor_0.nif, meshes\armor\blades\1stpersonbladesarmor_1.nif, meshes\armor\blades\1stpersonbladesarmorf_0.nif)
A stray green flap on the grindstone caused by unknown factors has been fixed. (meshes\furniture\clutter\blacksmithsharpeningwheelanimating.nif)
Updated the safety check script to exclude USLEEP now as well. Yes, sadly some mope decided to try it so now we have to guard against it.
Two reduntant textures that SSE fixed itself have been removed from the archive. (textures\architecture\solitude\smanhole.dds, textures\landscape\roads\roaddetails.dds)
All LOD data (meshes+textures) have been removed until we can investigate what needs to be done with the files, or if they're still needed.
The .bsl file is no longer being included since the SSE archive.exe tool cannot unpack an archive anyway.
Text Fixes
Book0AhzirrTraajijazeri: Unsupported UTF-8 text corrected. Replaced a "fancy" comma with a normal one. (Bug #21351)
MGR01Book1: Unsupported UTF-8 garbage removed from the end of the text. (Bug #21351)

robotrock

Banned
Noble's Skyrim Textures SSE update released: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...mods.com/skyrim/ajax/modfiles/?id=45807&pUp=1

Check under updates

XjWSpS1.jpg

How do I install this? I've got Nexus Mod Manager installed, tried downloading this after and it said I had the wrong Skyrim

Symphonia

Banned
What are some 'must have' mods to install on PS4? I'm doing an article/YouTube video and would like some suggestions on what people think is worth installing.

Truant

Question regarding the NMM. It doesn't list any of the mods I already have via the in-game mod manager in the category list. Is this correct? I did instruct NMM to use the Stemapps\common\SkyrimSe\Mods\ path for mods.

I see the mods listed under the "Plugins" tab, though.

Question regarding the NMM. It doesn't list any of the mods I already have via the in-game mod manager in the category list. Is this correct? I did instruct NMM to use the Stemapps\common\SkyrimSe\Mods\ path for mods.

I see the mods listed under the "Plugins" tab, though.

You can add mods manually, it will just ask you to navigate to the file on your PC when you manually add it. However, it will initially add them under "Unassigned" category if you do this, because the meta-data regarding the category and such are part of NMM's download.

You can just manually drag the mod into the correct folder after-the-fact, though.

Truant

You can add mods manually, it will just ask you to navigate to the file on your PC when you manually add it. However, it will initially add them under "Unassigned" category if you do this, because the meta-data regarding the category and such are part of NMM's download.

You can just manually drag the mod into the correct folder after-the-fact, though.

Alright! But I take it none of this doesn't really matter in practice? In that the game will handle both mods from the in-game browser AND NMM?

Brohan

I don't mind it bringing new stuff to the game as long as it is balanced. Don't want to steamroll through every battle because of some mod. Would feel like cheating to me.

lazygecko

I don't mind it bringing new stuff to the game as long as it is balanced. Don't want to steamroll through every battle because of some mod. Would feel like cheating to me.

Pretty much every major popular gameplay mod is more balanced and well designed than Bethesda's.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any 'cheat' mods available on PS4 yet ? Things which remove weight limits or increase stats etc.

Brohan

Pretty much every major popular gameplay mod is more balanced and well designed than Bethesda's.

Ok i think i'm going to give it a try. I had just started a game (put a lot of work in the look of my char) and havent even leveled up yet.. can i still install this mod and use the same save?

Alright! But I take it none of this doesn't really matter in practice? In that the game will handle both mods from the in-game browser AND NMM?

As far as I know. I've always added mods to NMM manually to make it easier to remember what I've got running when sorting out my load order (and deciding what to get rid of when I need to trim down to stay under 255 plug-ins and don't want to deal with merges), but as long as the mod was activated properly from another source it won't matter.

A lot of mods, in particular, are just straight-up asset file replacements (as with a lot of graphical mods) and technically don't need to be "seen" by anything at all since they have no plug-in to load to begin with.

ezekial45

Banned
Is it a good idea to use mods working with NMM along with the mods downloaded from Bethesda.net? Or should I just 'commit' to one.

Fruitster

The creation kit for Skyrim Special edition is up now on the Bethesda launcher for all. Can't wait to see what the modders can do from here.

Question about SkyUI: I am only going to be using a controller to play, so is SkyUI still very effective for controller users? I seem to recall that it was originally targeted at M&K folks. I know it supports controllers now but is it vastly superior to vanilla on a gamepad?

If so, is it worth hacking it in now or should I just wait?

Top Bottom