• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Special Edition - Mods Thread: Thomas the Tank Engine Strikes Back

Soodanim

Having jumped back and forth between OG and SE and going down the rabbit hole of mods again (I went from "Actually, I can live with just 20 mods" to about 50 in less than a day), while I love the things in SE that I don't think can be replicated well in OG (grass, z-fighting, TAA, rain occlusion) I've found one inescapable truth:

SkyUI is the most important mod ever made for Skyrim. Its absence is holding me back.

I'd happily drop the 20 little tweaks and fixes for SE with SkyUI. Hell, the Ordinator line (forgot the author) is there and his work alone makes the game so much better, so I'm not wanting for the big stuff.

Having jumped back and forth between OG and SE and going down the rabbit hole of mods again (I went from "Actually, I can live with just 20 mods" to about 50 in less than a day), while I love the things in SE that I don't think can be replicated well in OG (grass, z-fighting, TAA, rain occlusion) I've found one inescapable truth:

SkyUI is the most important mod ever made for Skyrim. Its absence is holding me back.

I'd happily drop the 20 little tweaks and fixes for SE with SkyUI. Hell, the Ordinator line (forgot the author) is there and his work alone makes the game so much better, so I'm not wanting for the big stuff.

Here's SkyUI port for SE, with the SKSE warning removed.

It was uploaded on Nexus on Oct 29th, but then removed shortly after that.
1441-0-1477771432.jpg

So a weird little bug on xb1.

If you map the Y button in-game to your menu (B by default) pressing Y in the mods section won't display your load order, it'll just kick you back to the main menu. I thought access to my load order was permanently fucked for a minute.

Might actually send this off to Beth as a head's up.

Need a bit of help sorting out the load order.

I have....

Unofficial Skryim SE Patch
Open Cities
SMIM
Realistic Lighting Overhaul (and its modules)(
Ethereal Elven Overhaul
Cutting Room Floor
Gildergreen Regrown
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul
Ordinator

I guess Cutting Room + Ordinator need to go below the patch?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
So, still nothing for the grass ? I would very much like a tweak or mod to improve that grass render distance. In some area, especially around Whiterun in the beginning, it's all flat and really jarring.

Need a bit of help sorting out the load order.

I have....

Unofficial Skryim SE Patch
Open Cities
SMIM
Realistic Lighting Overhaul (and its modules)(
Ethereal Elven Overhaul
Cutting Room Floor
Gildergreen Regrown
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul
Ordinator

I guess Cutting Room + Ordinator need to go below the patch?

Try to put the lighting overhaul modules as low in the order as possible.

Also, make sure you have the correct load order for them, should look like this.

Player Home mods
Unofficial Skyrim Patches
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Illuminated Spells.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Brighter Dungeons.esp*
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Towns Interiors.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Weathers.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Weathers - Brighter Nights.esp*
RLO - Adaptive Interiors Vanilla Weathers Patch.esp**
RLO - Major City Exteriors - No Guard Torches.esp

EDIT: Also, make sure you are testing your load order with new games.

lazygecko

I tried this out briefly, and the improvement is very obvious. A river was running to the right of me and I could distinctly hear the sound from that side. Or I walked past a guard and could hear his voice trailing as I got further away.

The only caveat (which isn't really a fault of the mod) is it did seem to make some of the compressed audio that currently plagues SE much more prominent. I especially noticed this in third person mode with things like unsheathing a sword or footsteps. Though for whatever reason, switching to first person seems to make the compressed sound a lot less noticeable.

Even with that quirk, this mod seems pretty incredible for adding an extra layer of immersion.

Sounds played right in front of the camera, which is the listener source and not the player model itself, seem to be mixed much loudrer and with heavier mids. That is why player sounds like weapons end up sounding more prominent in third person as opposed to first person.

Not sure how this could be remedied. Perhaps by changing values in the spatial mixing for sound output models in the Creation Kit and make a new mix tailored for the HRTF mod.

lazygecko

Glad Ordinator has the two-perks in second level optional file.

Curious, what mod is it?

Immersive Sounds Compendium.

I also tried using the new CK last night to package the assets into a .bsa and prepare the mod for bethesda.net release. What I discovered was that this process also auto-converted the wavs into xwms with terrible compression quality. Didn't give you any parameters to manually specify bitrate or anything (much less even told you what it was doing. I had to manually inspect the bsa afterwards because I had my suspicions). This probably explains why it happened to the vanilla SSE sounds.

I don't really feel like releasing it on Xbox through bethesda.net until I find a workaround that doesn't compromide fidelity.

Unai

I know it's supposed to feel realistic, but I don't really like the level progression in Elder Scrolls. I've played it again for some hours but now I'll wait until something like SXP is ported over. Sadly SKSE needs to be ported over first.

Great to see mods quickly being ported over. In a month when I finally get a chance to play this there should be plenty for me to work it.

Also Yo. Where is Schlongs of Skyrim: Special Edition at

heringer

Any mods that adds new perks and skills without changing the leveling system itself? I like what's present on vanilla, but with 20 hours of playtime I pretty much don't have any perk left that I find particularly usefull.

Elven_Star

Hmmm, yeah that's kind of what I'm looking for. Though they seem to change too much of the perks. Is it well balanced?

It's one of the most popular ones out there so, I assume it is. But I haven't been following the scene for a long time myself.

Zexen

Regarding XPMSE, FNIS is supposed to works according to Fore (and should be coming to SE soon I guess), then thrusting dDefinder words, realistic ragdoll is on the way.

We will soon be able to fix these awful animations.

Great to see mods quickly being ported over. In a month when I finally get a chance to play this there should be plenty for me to work it.

Also Yo. Where is Schlongs of Skyrim: Special Edition at
I guess that a script free version should work without much troubles (after a quick run in CK) considering SKSE is not yet here.

So I installed and tried out SkyUI 2.2 w/ removed warning last night and on the whole I like it. However, I do have a problem in that the fonts are a little too small and hard to read from the ol' comfy couch. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted?

What's the installation process for this? Just copy the stuff to \Data\? Wasn't there a .esm file somewhere too? Anyone?

If that is the same file I downloaded and installed last night, just extract the "Interface" folder from the .ZIP and move it to your Skyrim SE Data folder. Then start the game. It's that easy. There are no .ESM files.

Wanace

Sound mods are amazing. especially the reverb mod and the positional sounds mod. makes all the difference in the world and makes the game sound great.

Mesoian

A new land and 20-30 hours of new content? Wow.

Any impressions on the content? Is this any good?

It's very good, but I won't front, I've never been able to complete it due to various issues with the mod.

So I installed and tried out SkyUI 2.2 w/ removed warning last night and on the whole I like it. However, I do have a problem in that the fonts are a little too small and hard to read from the ol' comfy couch. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted?

If that is the same file I downloaded and installed last night, just extract the "Interface" folder from the .ZIP and move it to your Skyrim SE Data folder. Then start the game. It's that easy. There are no .ESM files.

if it's working the way skyui works in regular skyrim, you can go to the mod manager tab in the start menu and increase the size of the font. It won't be a huge amount, but it'll make things easier to process.

If that's not there though....there's not much that can be done.

Terrorblot

So here's my latest hiccup, not sure if anyone here can troubleshoot this for me but I thought I'd give it a go:
This seems to happen anywhere there's any sort of fancy lighting effect, it's a huge pain in the butt.

Load Order:
Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch
Apocalypse Magic of Skyrim
Ordinator Perks of Skyrim
Compatibility Patch / Apocalypse + Ordinator
Ars Metallica
The Paarthurnax Dilemma
Stones of Barenziah Quest Markers
Lore-Based Loading Screens

I've tried just toggling the Unofficial Patch on and off but that doesnt seem to do anything. Not really sure what else to try.

EDIT: Oh, and I also have the Achievement Enabler from Nexus on.

rashbeep

Banned
A new land and 20-30 hours of new content? Wow.

Any impressions on the content? Is this any good?

It's good considering it's made mostly by one guy. Not Enderal quality in terms of map design or voice work, but still decent.

Was pretty buggy when I played through it.

bumclot

My expectations were probably too lofty and I'm a little underwhelmed with the SE's visual improvements.

Is there a single mod that improves even further on the graphics? I'd prefer not to mess around with load order too much. Or is forcing better AA or downsampling the better route to take?

Also, are there any SE-supported mods that improve on draw distance & LOD?

Top Bottom