• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Special Edition's All-New Survival Mode Coming Soon (not free)

Oh fuck off, Bethesda. Charging $15 for a half-assed version of a fantastic free mod?

Actually, it's fine. I needed to free up space on my SSD anyway. Skyrim can go for now. I'm not contributing to this shit, even through Steam's concurrent playing lists. This is so blatantly designed to shit all over the PS4 players who don't have the options of the superior free versions of all these mods, and I'm TERRIFIED that the Switch version isn't getting any mod support at all, specifically to drive sales of Creation Club "DLC".

This is literally impossible. What is wrong with you people about TES on this forum? TESVI is a guaranteed success even if it was Skyrim with a new map.
Financial success? Yes. SWTOR was too. And ESO. And no doubt Dungeon Keeper for iOS. Doesn't mean these are the sequels fans wanted...

LOLCats

Banned
And the creation club laughs just keep coming. Fuck are they trying to kill all future titles or what, this shit is just bad and its gotta be hurting thier public image, right?

I'm TERRIFIED that the Switch version isn't getting any mod support at all, specifically to drive sales of Creation Club "DLC".
Nintendo are so afraid of their system being cracked that they won't even allow you to back up saves, they certainly aren't going to allow user created mods. Personally I'd much prefer Creation Club to not getting new content at all. Going to be pissed if this doesn't get a similar free period on Switch, though. When you're charging full price for a six year old game it sure as hell had better include all previously released content.

This is literally impossible. What is wrong with you people about TES on this forum? TESVI is a guaranteed success even if it was Skyrim with a new map.

Even the casuals are saying they better step it up several notches after Fallout 4, and they've pissed off the modding community (many of whom are going back to Morrowind thanks to the OpenMW project which will soon allow people to create their own Bethesda-esque open worlds).

It'll be a massive financial success, but when it comes to general user sentiment, I'm not sure they'll get away with it again. I'm hearing very similar things outside my echo chamber of enthusiasts and hardcore TES fans and I think the negative aspects of Bethesda's reputation are rubbing off on people.

rashbeep

Banned
There's so much stuff they could do with the creation club, but instead we get retreads.

this is exactly the problem, i'm fine paying for something that modders are not able to do, or can't deliver with the same amount of polish. nothing we've seen so far has shown otherwise.

Venom.

There is a mentality that an RPG where you carry less weight makes it more real and more hardcore. But the reality is that leads to more tedious toking and froing. Realistic games can take a certain amount of poetic license to keep it entertaining.

Branson

There is a mentality that an RPG where you carry less weight makes it more real and more hardcore. But the reality is that leads to more tedious toking and froing. Realistic games can take a certain amount of poetic license to keep it entertaining.
Which is why you mod the carry weight out if you want to.

legit question but

can't you just add a mod that does this for free? I'd rather pay a modder directly who worked on this than bethesda.

SZips

If you want to sell paid content, then just call it paid content. Call it DLC. We're used to it.

I just don't understand why they're trying to pass the sale of content on the Creation Club as anything other than paid mods or paid DLC. Like, everyone knows that's what it is. You know it, I know it, anybody that's been playing a game for the past week or more knows it.

Hystzen

Best thing about CC that makes me laugh is even on PS4 F4 there are mods to fix the mods from CC. With this going on PS4 now moddera have a loop hole to play around with these scripts probably get someone sneaking a free version onto it or a tweaked better version

Gren

Lol, Jim Sterling was right; Skyrim truly is the cockroach of video games, both in terms of resiliency as well as dignity.

Hystzen

You also can’t build campfires you have to use already
built ones so exploring Northern Skyrim will be impossible due to how they handling the cold damage numbers.

ymgve

If it's free now, does it mean you get it permanently if you "buy" it now, or is it just a trial and you will lose access once the free weekend is over?

red731

604.gif

Newk86

People might complain about the price but I'm a sucker for survival modes and extra difficulty plus it's nice that they're still supporting such an old game (well the original release at least). Hoping that this will be included in the VR version.

StereoVsn

So wait that means the weekly updates ala Fallout 4 and mandatory "creative club" downloads will commence as well? So potentially broken scripts every week?

I guess I did need to clean up space from my hard drive.

It's pretty obvious what the endgame they have in mind is.

I mean yeah, but I don't get it. There seems to be a near-universal feeling of "fuck off" around this stuff, and the modding system they had in place for more than a decade is what got them the seemingly-unlimited good will before now.

I just don't understand why they'd fuck with that.

GhaleonEB

Survival mode took a game I didn't like - Fallout 4 - into a game I spent hundreds of hours with.

Skyrim is my favorite game of all time. I'm doomed.

I already played sorta my own survival mode, with no fast travel and on master difficulty from the onset. If it's anywhere near as well crafted as Fallout 4's, I'm in.

bufkus

Even the casuals are saying they better step it up several notches after Fallout 4, and they've pissed off the modding community (many of whom are going back to Morrowind thanks to the OpenMW project which will soon allow people to create their own Bethesda-esque open worlds).

It'll be a massive financial success, but when it comes to general user sentiment, I'm not sure they'll get away with it again. I'm hearing very similar things outside my echo chamber of enthusiasts and hardcore TES fans and I think the negative aspects of Bethesda's reputation are rubbing off on people.

I'm sorry, but anyone claiming to be a hardcore TES fan who refuses to get TESVI because of Creation Club is simply not a TES fan at all. I'm not going to let completely optional content get in the way of enjoying the next TES game.

You also can't build campfires you have to use already
built ones so exploring Northern Skyrim will be impossible due to how they handling the cold damage numbers.

You can still use other mods you know... (campfire mod confirmed working with survival mode) Also, armor has warmth ratings, so you have to get armor with higher warmth ratings to explore the north.

But what I really like about survival mode is that it essentially gates the areas you can explore from the start. You actually have to play for a while before you're ready to explore colder areas.

Aaron D.

In the end the market will self-correct based on CClub curation, pricing & reception.

If it offers true value it will flourish. Otherwise it will die on the vine.

I'm not especially worried about it. Kinda nice to see the prospect of talented modders being fiscally rewarded for their work. Could even inspire more ambition out of them.

Feels like Bethesda is experimenting with alternative revenue streams and I do hope it works out for them as I really enjoy their production. If this move helps grow their internal studios that's likely a net plus for fans as it allocates more resources towards the franchises they enjoy.

Putting them on blast seems a bit premature, but I can also see how threatening this model looks. I imagine the market will speak with their wallet and if Bethesda can spin this into something good, people will respond in kind. I honestly hope they do.

Guess we'll see how it goes.

oneils

Wow. Just heard of this today.

This mod is completely useless if it’s not compatible with chesko’s campfire mod. It looks like it isn’t because it mentions using a torch to get warm or cooking soup with fire salts. Sounds pretty dumb.

lazygecko

So, the Zombie from the Creation Club is literally just a reskinned draugr model with no new animations/behavior, and 1 single sound effect repeated over and over. This would have been considered a below average effort for a free Nexus mod and yet they see fit to charge money for it.

Top Bottom