• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Special Edition's All-New Survival Mode Coming Soon (not free)

https://bethesda.net/en/article/5lz4Q7F4li6kwKmakkgWww/skyrim-survival-mode-coming-soon

Skyrim Creation Club's all-new Survival Mode is now available on Steam for beta testing. You can be one of the first to check it out by simply opting-into the Steam beta.

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One players will get to experience Survival Mode and other Creations early next month. Both PC and console players will get Survival Mode free for one week once it launches on their preferred platform.

Fast Travel

Fast Travel is disabled. If you wish to go somewhere, you must do so on foot or by horseback. You can also take a carriage or boat to your destination, but note that you may arrive hungry, cold, and in need of rest after a long journey.

Health Regeneration

You no longer regenerate health. You must use restorative spells, food, and potions to replenish your health.

Leveling Up

To level up, you must now sleep in a bed. You may still spend your perk points later once they have been granted after sleeping.

Carry Weight

Your carry weight has been significantly reduced. Becoming over encumbered also quickly drains your stamina and causes you to become fatigued much faster. Arrows and lockpicks now have weight.

Also adds hunger, fatigue, cold, warmth, and more. The usual survival stuff, except now you pay for it.

From the comments:

1W5J8i2.jpg

How much is that in real money?

edit: You can't buy 800 credits, so you'd have to spend $15 on 1500 credits to get this.

There's already a free and amazing mod for this.

What we should be talking about is Skyrim having coop soon via a mod. Now that's awesome.

Typically I tow the line between a claim that something is highway robbery and defending the right of a publisher to do something with their game.

I'm going to go ahead and say "they can, in fact, do this and that's OK", but I'm pretty sure that you can mod some of, if not all this, into vanilla Skyrim.

Gonna go ahead and save my money.

Aaron D.

Pay stuff aside it could invigorate the game enough for me to dive back in.

Absolutely LOVED Survival mode in Fallout 4. It's a game-changer.

Before all of the "I already can do this for free lolol", I'm a PS4 player, and this is super exciting. I'll definitely buy it, I don't give a shit. I've been wanting this for ages, and since mods can't give it to me, I'll happily pay.

The building aspect of fallout 4 killed survival for me because hoarding supplies was an insane nusance. Making money to just buy shipments and skip the hoarding with insane weight requirements and no fast travel was hell.

Skyrim will hopefully be much more balanced outside of the quest design that sends you frequent across the damn map

Arkeband

Banned
Before all of the "I already can do this for free lolol", I'm a PS4 player, and this is super exciting. I'll definitely buy it, I don't give a shit. I've been wanting this for ages, and since mods can't give it to me, I'll happily pay.

Skyrim can run on a potato of a PC, so unless you're posting this from your PS4, you don't actually need to be paying for this.

But gamers are suckers and Bethesda knows it doesn't even need to turn you upside down and shake your pockets to separate you from your cash.

Like literally every thread where a company is doing something evidently anti-consumer, there's always someone going "DAY ONE LOL!"

Basketball

I thought this CC

was supposed to introduce new and original mods

Frostfall
Ineed
Realistic Needs and Diseases
Last Seed
Imps More Complex Needs
EatingSleepingDrinking
Wet N Cold

few of these are already on Xbox

Mesoian

Skyrim can run on a potato of a PC, so unless you're posting this from your PS4, you don't actually need to be paying for this.

But gamers are suckers and Bethesda knows it doesn't even need to turn you upside down and shake your pockets to separate you from your cash.

Like literally every thread where a company is doing something evidently anti-consumer, there's always someone going "DAY ONE LOL!"

Oh right, this is just them putting the functionality of other mods onto the consoles isn't it?

Geeze. I always forget about the restrictions on mods for consoles.

I don't have anything against the idea of paid mods, as long as the core game feels complete and I could just as easily install free ones too, even those that purport to do the same thing.

In this case I'd go for a free mod.

mnannola

So maybe there plan is to find things that mods to well, and then package that functionality up and sell it? Not sure I care for that.

Wonder how Chesko feels about this

Free mods already give you this experience on PC and have for years this point. Probably with more flexibility as well.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a minute isn't this basically the Frostfall mod?

It is indeed a stripped down frostfall. As well, there's about 50 other mods already made that give you some pretty specific and in depth survival aspects. One of them gives caloric and nutritional properties to every food in the game, and you have to eat a balanced diet or you get sick.

Your carry weight has been significantly reduced. Becoming over encumbered also quickly drains your stamina and causes you to become fatigued much faster. Arrows and lockpicks now have weight.
So basically sneaky builds are completely unusable. Yeah, no thanks.

Isn't this just Frostfall + Realistic Needs and Diseases + Disabled Fast travel?

Bethesda seems to really be going in hard on paid versions of things that have been implemented better by the community for free.

KorrZ

FUCK. OFF.

I mean, increased tedium is basically the point of these survival modes. It's all busy work meant to generate some form of atmosphere. It pretty much goes hand in hand with the need to sleep in real beds, etc. It encourages you to visit the towns more frequently.

I hope this isn't the Skyrim refresh content they talked about earlier this year. Oh who am I kidding, I bet it is.

Meanwhile co-op and splitscreen mods are finally becoming usable and stable, for free

Top Bottom