• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SkyTV and Xbox, megaton for UK/Ireland 360 owners.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Fizzle said:
This could also mean the era of good quality tv series video's popping up on torrent websites, seeing as 360 has already been hacked.

I'm sure the content will be heavily encrypted so even if you did manage to pull if of the 360's hdd, you'd still not be able to play it.

Linkified

navanman said:
Awesome this is as big a megaton as Netflix was to US XBL users last year when it was announced.

Ability to stream and watch Sky TV & Sports on a TV that doesn't have an actual Sky box connected to it.

For the uninformed Sky have complete control of pay TV in UK & Ireland so this is pretty huge news for their massive userbase.

Nope, LoveFilm that would be as big as Netflix, this is I would call an appeasement until all the content has been announced for it.

Atrophis

I have my sky and xbox all in the same room so not very useful for me. Still its a nice bit of extra functionality.

Wonder if you will have access to HD content if you have an HD subscription.

Fizzle

cyberheater said:
I'm sure the content will be heavily encrypted so even if you did manage to pull if of the 360's hdd, you'd still not be able to play it.

I don't think that'll still stop them from doing it though. Just saying this could be a new for people to this kinda shit. Ah well.

soco

Fizzle said:
I don't think that'll still stop them from doing it though. Just saying this could be a new for people to this kinda shit. Ah well.

unless i missed something, it doesn't sound like it actually saves it to the HDD, but rather streams it. it might keep a tiny couple of meg cache or something, but that wouldn't be too useful. seems about the same way as the streaming previews and netflix stuff.

beeps

Fizzle said:
This could also mean the era of good quality tv series video's popping up on torrent websites, seeing as 360 has already been hacked.
Surely this has been available for ages for UKTV? Although mainly restricted to one torrent site.

This means Football and Bauer on your Xbox and is therefore staggeringly awesome news.

It will make it very hard to resist giving that cunt Murdoch money when it launches. Must improve my will power.

Probably the wrong place to ask this....but I have Sky+HD ( full package ) and Mid Broadband....but I still cant watch Sky Sports News on it?!? says I have to upgrade my package, upgrade it to what exactly?

Dont tell me I have to pay £10 extra for multi-room to get access to these programs on skyplayer?

Fizzle said:

Only way the 360 is hacked is to play copies of games that aren't region locked.

As to what you are refering to, well all MS has to do to appease those poeple is to offer support for the MKV container.

DKehoe

So wait, if I get the info of someone who doesn't have a 360 but does have Sky then I can use that to get Sky on my 360?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Um..there are lots of non-sky premium channels. And I pay NTL for my TV package. So it's not quite true to say Sky are the only provider of pay-for TV :p

gofreak said:
Um..there are lots of non-sky premium channels. And I pay NTL for my TV package. So it's not quite true to say Sky are the only provider of pay-for TV :p
There's a few other services, but Sky are the most significant by a significant amount.

a.wd

looks almost as good as the supposed BT Vision integration, that was supposed to come out two years ago and would work well with my BT Vision box! *grumble grumble*

Blame!

Firewire said:
I was promised a megaton and I'm still waiting.

the megaton is that this is also coming to your favorite console....the ps3.

that was a real slap in the face! :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JonathanEx said:
There's a few other services, but Sky are the most significant by a significant amount.

Sure, they are the most popular provider, or so I believe. Just sayin' it's not accurate to say they've complete control :p

And I don't see ntl hooking people up with online access to channels..though I guess they don't own their own channels to do that. But everyone seems to be hopping on that bandwagon now, even local stations here in Ireland now have online streaming, and it's most welcome.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Watch as any potential momentum for this is killed by it being for Gold Live users only.

Prove me wrong Microsoft. Prove me wrong.

Given that you already have to be a Sky customer, I can't imagine them putting up another barrier to using this.

Linkified

gofreak said:
Sure, they are the most popular provider, or so I believe. Just sayin' it's not accurate to say they've complete control :p

And I don't see ntl hooking people up with online access to channels..though I guess they don't own their own channels to do that. But everyone seems to be hopping on that bandwagon now, even local stations here in Ireland now have online streaming, and it's most welcome.

Given that you already have to be a Sky customer, I can't imagine them putting up another barrier to using this.
I can actually Netflix being a clear example in the US but really I can imagine network costs being higher so maybe in the first few years its gold then moves to everyone

Woffls

Sky essentially just turned my 360 into a DigiBox and gave me Sky multiroom, so I'm happy.

Yes, Sky are gigantic in the UK.

Walshicus

navanman said:
For the uninformed Sky have complete control of pay TV in UK & Ireland so this is pretty huge news for their massive userbase.
No they don't. They're in a dominant position probably, but Virgin Media isn't that far behind.

Still, good news everybody!

Linkified

Sir Fragula said:
No they don't. They're in a dominant position probably, but Virgin Media isn't that far behind.

Still, good news everybody!

VM still have aways to go, more people have access the ability to have sky, not everywhere has cable to be able to even get VM, like myself.

Linkified

Sir Fragula said:
Well in 2007 the figures show:

3 million Virgin Media subscribers
8 million BSkyB subscribers
21 million digital TV owning households...

So Sky is dominant, but not exactly ubiquitous.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/research/tv/reports/dtv/dtv_2007_q3/dtvq307.pdf

yes, but you fail to realise the point - if every household that could access Sky went out and got it, and everyone who could access VM went out and got hooked up - the people who HAVE the ability in the present or future to access sky is a far greater. Seen as areas of the uk don't have cable like where I live and probably never will. And this about 2 miles outside of largish town/smallish city.

Walshicus

Linkified said:
yes, but you fail to realise the point - if every household that could access Sky went out and got it, and everyone who could access VM went out and got hooked up - the people who HAVE the ability in the present or future to access sky is a far greater. Seen as areas of the uk don't have cable like where I live and probably never will. And this about 2 miles outside of largish town/smallish city.
Well okay, but that wasn't my point. My point was to content the assertation that Sky have complete control of Pay TV in the UK.

This is quite awesome, I know my dad would love it. We have Virgin Media atm and had to cancel sky sports because they want an arm and a leg for it per month for the telly.

pswii60

The embargo ends on this at midday BST tomorrow and we should get the full official PR and videos, screens etc of the service in action.

Linkified

Sir Fragula said:
Well okay, but that wasn't my point. My point was to content the assertation that Sky have complete control of Pay TV in the UK.

Well they didn't VM have problem with subscribers when they at one point refused to pay for Sky channels on the service or something. And VM had to be backed down I would say thats complete control personally.

Linkified said:
Well they didn't VM have problem with subscribers when they at one point refused to pay for Sky channels on the service or something. And VM had to be backed down I would say thats complete control personally.
It was a lot more complicated than you make out there. Both sides had to make compromises to work out the deal.

Xabora

$h@d0w said:
As it gets closer to E3, misuse of the term 'megaton' begins.
2md5ls3.jpg

I've already got the VIP package from Virgin Media, and there's no way in hell I'll pay for any more subscriptions to a ton of Sky channels I already get.

I can see how this can be good for existing Sky subscribers but there's nothing here for me. As already stated, I'd much prefer some deal made with LOVEfilm, like the Netflix one.

And before anyone says to cancel and get Sky, I live in a flat and under the terms of my tennancy agreement cannot get a Sky dish installed. I'm certain that there's tons of people in the same boat. Still, I'm happy with the shit-ton of On Demand I get from VM, plus the IPlayer, ITV Netplayer and 4OD that's included. All I miss is the HD stuff, but my V+ box and TV upscale quite nicely.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Monkeylord said:
I've already got the VIP package from Virgin Media, and there's no way in hell I'll pay for any more subscriptions to a ton of Sky channels I already get.

I can see how this can be good for existing Sky subscribers but there's nothing here for me. As already stated, I'd much prefer some deal made with LOVEfilm, like the Netflix one.

And before anyone says to cancel and get Sky, I live in a flat and under the terms of my tennancy agreement cannot get a Sky dish installed. I'm certain that there's tons of people in the same boat. Still, I'm happy with the shit-ton of On Demand I get from VM, plus the IPlayer, ITV Netplayer and 4OD that's included. All I miss is the HD stuff, but my V+ box and TV upscale quite nicely.
There will be on-demand for non-subscribers, as well. Looking through it now, it looks like most TV episodes are like 98p-£1.50.

It basically means we finally have the Video Marketplace with TV Shows like in the US.

I have SkyHD in the living room and sky+ in my room so this not such a big thing for me but it is still sick news!

Will sky broadcast HD material on xbox live?

El-Suave

I'm curious if this will come to Germany soon because our PayTV network is also owned by Murdoch and will soon be renamed Sky.
This could be good for me because I wouldn't need an HD set top box anymore if I wanted to go HD, so I welcome it. In general I question the value of this deal though - a standard 360 is louder than a normal receiver and hdd space might become an issue if you want to record stuff. Still, if it adds value for subscribers or makes a subscription cheaper, what's not to like?

Linkified

Diablohead said:
These are the channels you get from the player: http://skyplayer.sky.com/aboutskyplayer/watch-live-tv.html

I think it's real good. *edit* oh wait.

If you want every channel it's £38 a month. The regular entertainment pack which only gives sky sports 1 and uk gold, mtv and your other regular channels it's £15.

But they'll over the course of time will add to those channels don't forget you get Sky On Demand service which I have to say is pretty spiffing.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Psychotext said:
From that:
The content is divided into genres. These include sport (as denoted by a big Arsenal logo), movies (a still from Transformers) and entertainment (the first time Lorraine Kelly's face has appeared on the 360 - officially anyway). Two avatars are standing idly by the Arsenal logo. Johnson explains this means two of his friends are watching the Arsenal match, and he can ask to join their Xbox Live Party.
Your avatars sit in a VIP viewing box, surveying the surrounding crowd and watching the live action on a big screen. You can chat via headsets and press buttons to make your avatars cheer, laugh, wave and so on.
Woah, nice. :lol

NekoFever

Screens:

sky_home-420-90174.jpg

sky_livetv-420-90823.jpg

sky_epg_2-420-90728.jpg

sky_sports-420-90273.jpg

:lol @ the avatars watching the football.

I don't have Sky but my parents have the full package, so I might have to see if I can 'borrow' their account details when this comes out.

Top Bottom