• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SkyTV and Xbox, megaton for UK/Ireland 360 owners.

Gowans

Worked out how to invite, the party rooms are ok.

Pricing model is so fubarred tho for what you get, can't believe if your already a sky subscriber you probably have to pay too, it's just crazy.

meddow said:
if you got the sky app earlier then go to download history and just boot it

working fine this end.

Just read this and tried it, it works! Thanks for the tip, just watched the end of Barnsley v Man Utd on my 360... loving this, only TV I would want to watch is sports and with the parents having sky at home it makes it easier than using the lappy.

Spydy

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Worked out how to invite, the party rooms are ok.

Pricing model is so fubarred tho for what you get, can't believe if your already a sky subscriber you probably have to pay too, it's just crazy.

It's no different from the current pricing I believe. If you want to watch Sky on your PC, it costs extra.

Word of warning if you intend to subscribe to Sky. It's a fucking nightmare to cancel. Took us 3 phone calls over the space of a week, each phone call lasting 30 minutes. Their customer service is wank and will try to refer you, repeatedly, to Customer Retention.

8bit

Knows the Score
Spydy said:
It's no different from the current pricing I believe. If you want to watch Sky on your PC, it costs extra.

Word of warning if you intend to subscribe to Sky. It's a fucking nightmare to cancel. Took us 3 phone calls over the space of a week, each phone call lasting 30 minutes. Their customer service is wank and will try to refer you, repeatedly, to Customer Retention.

Tell them you're leaving the country.

It's always cost more to have Sky work in more than one room of your house. The same applies to streaming. A Sky Player multiroom subscription is £5 a month for current customers to stream their subscription content. It also works if you have a standard multiroom subscription which is £10 a month and also allows access to Sky via a second box in another room.

Gowans

Yeah Sky is expensive it makes the US Netflix service look like the deal of the century, really wish they could bring it to the Uk, that I would pay for.

Wonder how Sky does, at this price and limitations I expect not very well.

Now that the Sky Player is up and running, how about we Sky Sports subscribers get together at 7.30pm in a Party and watch the game together in the Avatar Lounge for the Sky Player?

blondepartyskyhome.jpg-20091027-111717.jpg

If anyone is interested post here

Can you get this when your Sky account is registered at another address? I moved north earlier in the year and my wife is still down south at the moment where our Sky account is registered. Can I use that account to watch Sky on my 360 at my new address?

lochnesssnowman said:
Can you get this when your Sky account is registered at another address? I moved north earlier in the year and my wife is still down south at the moment where our Sky account is registered. Can I use that account to watch Sky on my 360 at my new address?

All you need is a Sky ID and it will link that to your 360. I see no reason why the address of where you are right now is matched to the address of that ID. It would make no sense as to why they would do that because there are loads of people like you who away from home but a 360. So I'm sure it would work mate

lochnesssnowman said:

Yes you can, i go to university in Canterbury but my parents live near Reading, it just wanted the login details for the sky stuff, didn't ask me anything else.

Grand, cheers for the answers. I'll maybe hit it up since I can't actually get a TV reception of any sort through conventional means (wall aerial is dead, portable aerial's produce snow, I'm in a conservation area so a new Sky account is out and I don't want to tie myself into Virgin when we'll be bringing Sky up when my wife moves).

Roxas

Meus Renaissance said:
Now that the Sky Player is up and running, how about we Sky Sports subscribers get together at 7.30pm in a Party and watch the game together in the Avatar Lounge for the Sky Player?

blondepartyskyhome.jpg-20091027-111717.jpg

If anyone is interested post here

Is it Liverpool v Arsenal tonight? may be up for that

pswii60

Where did all the US drama go? Fringe, Lost, Stargate, Lie To Me and Bones were all there yesterday, now they've disappeared :/

So if you're a Sky subscriber, is there any on demand stuff for free? There's no way I'm ever spending a penny on shitty SD streaming video.

pswii60

TheGreatDave said:
So if you're a Sky subscriber, is there any on demand stuff for free? There's no way I'm ever spending a penny on shitty SD streaming video.
Some documentaries and stuff. All the catch-up Sky 1 US drama (as mentioned above: Fringe, Bones, etc) was available yesterday morning for free to Sky TV Variety Pack subscribers too, but it's all been taken down. Probably a rights issue, sucks :(

Wow, Sky 1's lineup of catch up stuff is so pathetic. And it's kind nice they have movies to watch, but really...I'm not watching a movie in SD streaming video quality.

toff74

Been playing with the Sky Player a little..

So far it looks pretty good. I'm a Sky subscriber and a XBL Gold member and i get all the on demand stuff FOR FREE!!! :) .. All the documentary series look pretty good (not hd, but is it really that important when its all about the content). All the sports were what i expected. I was only a little disappointed with the selectiopn of programs available on Sky 1. Hopefully that will change.

I really liked the speed of the interface: from chosing the channel, scrolling through programs, to starting to watch. Takes literally a few seconds.

The only think i cant do is watch Live, but thats no problem right now as the Xbox is connected to the main TV.

Not bad for FREE!!!!!!!!!

I updated my flatmates Xbox last night and just couldn't get on...

I couldn't get on via my laptop either for the Liverpool game, which I never have trouble with, ever. I'm assuming it was because everyone was trying to get on the XBox version or something. Infuriating.

Managed to get an alternative stream of the game though in the end.

toff74

MrNyarlathotep said:
free is a highly relative cost evaluation here for very specific conditions

May well be, but i really dont understand why its a problem. I'm paying for 2 services which opens up others for free. Nothing really wrong with that. It works for me. If you dont pay, you dont get.

I know very few people who dont pay for 1, broadband 2, TV packages..

Sky and broadband is still cheaper than multiple DVD boxsets of TV series, and a few games a year. The only way to get these for free is not a legal route.

pswii60

toff74 said:
May well be, but i really dont understand why its a problem. I'm paying for 2 services which opens up others for free. Nothing really wrong with that. It works for me. If you dont pay, you dont get.

I know very few people who dont pay for 1, broadband 2, TV packages..

Sky and broadband is still cheaper than multiple DVD boxsets of TV series, and a few games a year. The only way to get these for free is not a legal route.
Erm, you know, LoveFilm? ~£13 per month for 3 discs at a time if you pay upfront for 3 months. And it includes all DVD boxsets.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
radioheadrule83 said:
Am I not looking for it in the right place or something?
I'm new to 360 / Marketplace
It's the 2nd box under Video Marketplace on the main dash screen.

Big, dark blue box, with a giant Sky logo.

Fowler

Anyone tried this OUTSIDE the UK? I've had a UK Gold account (er, UK Gold XBL account I mean) for years and I can download the Sky Player... need an ID first though and the website isn't letting me in.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Seems like its available again now. Downloaded it last night.

Really impressed on the whole, there are significant loading times when things start up, seems like whenever you select a menu option it goes and gets EVERYTHING in that menu, unlike say netflix which seems to be able to stream items in, so it can take a while. But once its running it's smooth as silk and the picture quality is pretty good.

Why do i even need a sky subscription though? If I've got a friend with multiroom cant I just use their Sky ID?

Ghost said:
Seems like its available again now. Downloaded it last night.

Really impressed on the whole, there are significant loading times when things start up, seems like whenever you select a menu option it goes and gets EVERYTHING in that menu, unlike say netflix which seems to be able to stream items in, so it can take a while. But once its running it's smooth as silk and the picture quality is pretty good.

Why do i even need a sky subscription though? If I've got a friend with multiroom cant I just use their Sky ID?

Yes you can, provided they've got multi-room or a top Sky package so that the Sky player is included in their sub. If not, chuck him a tenner a month to subscribe to it.

Wow they just killed this, now the only way to watch live channels even if you have a full sky sub is to also have sky broadband, or a sky multi room sub as well. Been using it now for a year or so without issue as i pay £70 a month to sky, now to have this working i would need a live sub, a sky sub, and a sub to either sky broadband or sky multi room adding even more cost. Well sky just lost themself £50 a month from me today because of this move.

supermackem said:
Wow they just killed this, now the only way to watch live channels even if you have a full sky sub is to also have sky broadband, or a sky multi room sub as well. Been using it now for a year or so without issue as i pay £70 a month to sky, now to have this working i would need a live sub, a sky sub, and a sub to either sky broadband or sky multi room adding even more cost. Well sky just lost themself £50 a month from me today because of this move.

Didn't you always need multi room to watch live TV? I could never watch any channels other than Sky News because I didn't have it.

Where did you hear/read this!? I don't watch a lot of live TV on there, but I was using it more recently.

As long as I still get the On Demand stuff, this isn't a giant deal, but still a bit of a chump move on Sky's part.

Edit: In fact, I think that even though I don't have a second sky box, as a premium subscriber I'm entitled to free multi-room which is why I get live streaming now. I thought the new post was saying we would need to be Sky broadband customers for streaming to work at all. I should read more carefully.

Smeghead

supermackem said:

Eh? I have a full Sky HD subscription and can still watch live tv?

Is it something they are rolling out?

EDIT: Just seen this

Sky TV customers

If you subscribe to Sky Multiroom or Sky Broadband Unlimited, you can watch live TV on Sky Player at no additional charge. Sky Movies subscribers can watch live Sky Movies without subscribing to Sky Broadband Unlimited or Multiroom. Sky Sports Pack Subscribers can watch live TV on Sky Player in line with their Sky TV packs without subscribing to Sky Broadband Unlimited or Multiroom until 30 June 2011. All other Sky TV customers can subscribe to watch live TV on Sky Player with Sky Player Multiroom for £10.00/€15.00 a month, with no need for additional Sky boxes or installation.

Adamm

Speedymanic said:
I thought you always needed a mulitroom sub to watch Live TV via the SP?

£70 a month? And you don't have multiroom? What?

Full package is £71.25 a month.
Movies, Sports (inc ESPN) & HD

Speedymanic said:
I thought you always needed a mulitroom sub to watch Live TV via the SP?

£70 a month? And you don't have multiroom? What?

Nope been watching live tv on it for a year or so, just popped up this morning that you need sky broadband multi room or something else to watch live when ive been doing so for a year. Was a little pissed so phoned sky when they asked why i was downgrading my sub i told them because they just changed live tv on 360 off and they asked what sky on 360 was so i knew i was fighting a losing battle there.

Smeghead said:
Eh? I have a full Sky HD subscription and can still watch live tv?

Is it something they are rolling out?

Looks like it mate, someone else on avforums just posted the same thing he couldnt watch live tv.

Adamm

It really annoys me that you cant get Sky Anytime+ without sky broadband.

I would have to drop from 40mb to 4mb to move to sky broadband =/

supermackem said:
Nope been watching live tv on it for a year or so, just popped up this morning that you need sky broadband multi room or something else to watch live when ive been doing so for a year. Was a little pissed so phoned sky when they asked why i was downgrading my sub i told them because they just changed live tv on 360 off and they asked what sky on 360 was so i knew i was fighting a losing battle there.

That sucks, fortunately I have multiroom, but that's not cool at all on part of Sky. :/

Adamm said:
Full package is £71.25 a month.
Movies, Sports (inc ESPN) & HD

Madness, I haven't paid more than £50 for the full package for almost a year. ESPN adding £20 a month is insane. (I thought it was £10?)

Smeghead

supermackem said:
Looks like it mate, someone else on avforums just posted the same thing he couldnt watch live tv.

I'll repost again but looked into it and found this

Sky TV customers

If you subscribe to Sky Multiroom or Sky Broadband Unlimited, you can watch live TV on Sky Player at no additional charge. Sky Movies subscribers can watch live Sky Movies without subscribing to Sky Broadband Unlimited or Multiroom. Sky Sports Pack Subscribers can watch live TV on Sky Player in line with their Sky TV packs without subscribing to Sky Broadband Unlimited or Multiroom until 30 June 2011. All other Sky TV customers can subscribe to watch live TV on Sky Player with Sky Player Multiroom for £10.00/€15.00 a month, with no need for additional Sky boxes or installation.

From http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/page/live-tv.html

Pretty sneaky of them to do this. Ah well i only really watch the odd thing live anyway on sky player, i usually watch it downstairs. As long as they keep the on demand stuff i don't mind.

The new anytime thing that they have now annoyed me because you have to have sky broadband. I think if you have a full Sky sub you should get everything imo...

Mines just started to work again, yeah just read about that charge at the end of june, fucking hell that would take my sub to over £80 a month.

Speedymanic said:
That sucks, fortunately I have multiroom, but that's not cool at all on part of Sky. :/

Madness, I haven't paid more than £50 for the full package for almost a year. ESPN adding £20 a month is insane. (I thought it was £10?)

It is, its also £10 a month for hd. I think when this new sub comes in i will knock the hd on the head and add the player in its place. I like hd but not for £10 extra a month and the sky player is huge for my house.

Adamm

Speedymanic said:

Full entertainment pack + sky sports + movies is £52

HD = £10.25 extra a month

ESPN = £9 extra month

Unless you got some special offer :(

EDIT: The biggest joke is the 3D channel, you can only get it if you have the full package. I want the 3D channel, but no way am i playing for sports + movies for it.

Adamm said:
Full entertainment pack + sky sports + movies is £52

HD = £10.25 extra a month

ESPN = £9 extra month

Unless you got some special offer :(

Threaten to leave, they'll sign you back on for a huge discount. Actually leave and you'll get offers through the door for months asking you to come back. They'll tell you that you can't come back for 12 months, which is a huge lie, to try and get you to stay.

I tried giving up and going with Freeview/Freesat HD, but came crawling back to Sky when they offered a big saving. (50% I think, I'd have to double check)

Top Bottom