• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SkyTV and Xbox, megaton for UK/Ireland 360 owners.

pswii60 said:
You have to pay for an additional multiroom subscription if you are an existing Sky subscriber, so no, not free to you! EDIT: Seems it may be different if you are unfortunate enough to have Sky Broadband.

Where does it say I need multi room?

Per the Sky/360 website said:
To watch Sky Player on your Xbox 360 you need an Xbox LIVE Gold membership. Live TV channels depend on your subscription. Price and availability of on-demand content depends on whether you are a Sky TV/Sky Player TV customer and the kind of subscription you have. Some programmes from live Sky TV channels are unavailable to show online (see sky.com/skyplayer). Your subscription will renew automatically unless you tell us otherwise. Minimum 2Mb broadband connection recommended. PC with Microsoft Windows XP or Vista or Intel based Mac required for Sky Player on your computer. Information only applies to residential customers in the UK, ROI, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. Further terms apply.

mclem

I wonder what, exactly, the account is tied to, if there's some way I can make use of my parent's Sky account whenever I visit them - or if it's strictly one-system-per-SkyPlayer-user

Chittagong

Gold Member
Uhhh... This is so complex it makes my head hurt. Can somebody tell if this is right:

- I have no Sky account nor box
- I have XBL Gold
- I can watch a bunch if crappy channels for free, via the Sky Player on 360
- To see better channels on 360, I can pay something

one further thing is that my Gold sub is Finland based because MS refuse to switch it to UK, and I refuse to lose my Gamerscore. Will this cut me out from Sky Player?

mclem said:
I wonder what, exactly, the account is tied to, if there's some way I can make use of my parent's Sky account whenever I visit them - or if it's strictly one-system-per-SkyPlayer-user
My friend moved out of his parents a while ago but still uses their details to watch stuff via his pc so hopefully the 360 will be similar.

Meus Renaissance said:
How unlimited? I one time used around 100GB of bandwidth in a month alone and never got a second look from my ISP.

Put it this way, my household has regularly used in excess of 300GB of bandwidth in a month and Sky didn't bat an eyelid. I could download at 1MB/s quite easily providing the download server I'm using can handle it.

mr_bishiuk said:
Where does it say I need multi room?

You need either a multiroom subscription, a Broadband Max subscription, or a Sky Player subscription, all are £10 so the Sky Player subscription alone is a bit of a silly option really. Might as well get the best broadband package in the UK or a multiroom subscription thrwon in for free as well.

J Tourettes said:
My friend moved out of his parents a while ago but still uses their details to watch stuff via his pc so hopefully the 360 will be similar.

It will be. You can have 4 devices registered now, the only restriction is one login at a time. I now get Skysports + ESPN + Sky Movies for £10 a month because my housemate's dad is signed upto Sky back home. Its a heall of a deal for students.

mr_bishiuk said:
I prefer this to the BBC iplayer (the only programs that interest me on the BBC player are top gear and Horizon) because you can easily get that programming as its free to air and everyone with a tv in their bed room can pick it up .

This sky deal really interests me because all the latest shows from the states start on Sky 1 and you can watch them,on demand on Sky player as well as the documentary channels which finish at 6pm on freeview (for some inexplicable reason).

I doubt whether i'll watch football in bed (although might watch soccer am) but I could watch the odd movie and the movies on Sky are far ahead of BBC ITV C4 etc.

As a Sky HD subscriber and a XBL gold subsciber as far as i can see its free to me? i have a 20mb cable line which normally gets me 18mb so I cant see how this wont be totally awesome for me whileI could not justify the extra £15 a month for the additional sky box in my room I dont mind buying another 360 for <£200 if it works as intended for no extra cost than i'm paying

Ditch the cable, sign upto Broadband Max, you'll get an "upto" 20mbps unlimited connection and Sky Player access for just £10 a month rather than the likely £30/£40 you're paying for your broadband with no Sky player atm.

mclem said:

You can activate 4 devices. The only restriction is one login at a time. You can make use of their Sky account from anywhere. My house is 30 miles away from the main subscriber but we just agreed to pay the extra £10 per month and now have Sky Sports/Sky Movies/ESPN and more. Its literally tailor made for students, £10 sure beats £50 a month it'd normally cost us to get all the sport.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/10/16/xbox-360-sky-tv-channels-and-prices-revealed

Neowin member Liam has tipped us off to some big news for those waiting on the Sky TV announcements for Xbox 360.

According to Liam, over at http://xbox.sky.com there's a bunch of XML data which feeds the Sky Player application. Currently it's providing data for Live TV channels that are available. The following channels will be available:

* G.O.L.D
* Sky Real Lives
* Sky Arts 1
* Sky Movies 1 & 2
* Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 and Xtra
* Sky Sports News
* British Eurosport
* ESPN
* ESPN Classic
* Sky News
* National Geographic
* National Geographic Wild
* History
* Eden
* Cartoon Network
* Boomerang
* Disney Channel

Sky 1 is missing from the Live channel list but under "TV on demand" Sky 1, Baby TV and Biography are listed. Some of the help text describes the new features well:

Watch thousands of hours of TV programmes and movies on demand. There's catch-up TV from Sky1 and a great selection from National Geographic Channel, History and others. Plus over 500 great movies, from indies to blockbusters, courtesy of Sky Movies and Sky Box Office. If you're a Sky digital satellite
customer you can watch programmes from channels in your TV package for free. For example, if you're a Sky1 subscriber, Sky1's top shows are available to watch online for free for 30 days after they first aired. Plus you can choose from a great catalogue of programmes to rent or buy, all within Sky Player on your Xbox 360.
Non Sky Customers

If you're not a Sky customer you can watch Sky TV programmes without a dish or long term contract. With a monthly subscription you can watch selected channels live on your Xbox 360 plus a selection of programmes to watch on demand. Minimum contract term of just one month applies and you can rent or buy single episodes with no commitment.

Cost

Even if you are not a Sky digital customer, you can now subscribe to Sky Player TV from £15/€18 a month for the Entertainment Pack. This includes the live broadcast of over 20 channels including National Geographic, ESPN Classic, G.O.L.D. and Disney Channel. You are also entitled to the free content available from these channels. You can also choose to upgrade this package to include Sky's premium channels Sky Movies and Sky Sports, making a total of 21 live channels for your delectation. If you subscribe to Sky Multiroom account then you can watch all the live channels in your pack on your Xbox 360, at no extra cost! Sky Multiroom or Sky Broadband Unlimited customers can also watch Live TV on their Xbox 360's at no extra charge. All other Sky TV customers can subscribe to watch Live TV on Sky Player for £9.75/€14.75 a month.

Not sure how much of this is new information

Bert

brain_stew said:
Put it this way, my household has regularly used in excess of 300GB of bandwidth in a month and Sky didn't bat an eyelid. I could download at 1MB/s quite easily providing the download server I'm using can handle it.

You need either a multiroom subscription, a Broadband Max subscription, or a Sky Player subscription, all are £10 so the Sky Player subscription alone is a bit of a silly option really. Might as well get the best broadband package in the UK or a multiroom subscription thrwon in for free as well.

It will be. You can have 4 devices registered now, the only restriction is one login at a time. I now get Skysports + ESPN + Sky Movies for £10 a month because my housemate's dad is signed upto Sky back home. Its a heall of a deal for students.

Ditch the cable, sign upto Broadband Max, you'll get an "upto" 20mbps unlimited connection and Sky Player access for just £10 a month rather than the likely £30/£40 you're paying for your broadband with no Sky player atm.

You can activate 4 devices. The only restriction is one login at a time. You can make use of their Sky account from anywhere. My house is 30 miles away from the main subscriber but we just agreed to pay the extra £10 per month and now have Sky Sports/Sky Movies/ESPN and more. Its literally tailor made for students, £10 sure beats £50 a month it'd normally cost us to get all the sport.

Not to start a Virgin V Sky fanboy spat or anything, but aside from coming off as a Sky salesman, your experiences are pretty much the exact opposite to me and several of my aquaintances when it comes to Sky Broadband (spotty connection, low speeds) and the ondemand part of Sky sucks.

Virgin Broadband + PS3 + iPlayer + SideReel.com through the TV = win.

To be honest watching Sky 1 live is unbearable anyway - the only good things on it are the Simpsons and the occasional drama like 24 or Lost. Which I'm too impatient to wait for a UK broadcast for anyway.

Is there a confirmation as to whether we need Gold or not for this?

I currently use my laptop -> TV to watch Sky Player, but the 360 would be a sweet alternative to that, and involve less mucking around with cables etc.

Linkified

I would prefer it if there were more channels, and before easter you couldn't watch wwe events on sky player on the pc, so they gotta get that fixed.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Intriguing... I'll have to judge the pros and cons and see if it can outvalue my LoveFilm sub.

Edit: ARGH! No Dave!

I've got a couple of family members on Sky that I could possibly leach info off of to gain some use of this. Has there been any word of min requirements to be able to use this without the dedicated Sky Player subscription?

I'm at work, and the internet police have blocked all sites that could hold the answer for me :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Spike6663 said:
I came here to see if Gaf would know what time this is launching. But this thread is dead.
Nobody knows! It'll be up tomorrow, that's all anybody knows right now.

In other news, Sky & MS are releasing some bundles:

Remote, 1 month of Sky Sports and Entertainment, 3 months of Gold. There is one for just the Entertainment package, as well.

51Ae7LohbnL._SS400_.jpg

Robin

The app is on the dashboard and its ~12MB in size. I'm getting a lot of error codes though. I managed to get on and put in my Sky Player login info but since I backed out of it I can't get back on.

OMG Aero

Robin said:
The app is on the dashboard and its ~12MB in size. I'm getting a lot of error codes though. I managed to get on and put in my Sky Player login info but since I backed out of it I can't get back on.
Also the app does definitely say that to watch Live TV you need to have Sky multiroom or Sky Broadband Unlimited and it looks like you have to pay for the on-demand stuff so yeah, it isn't really a megaton any more :(

On the PC version of the sky player it works like this:

If you don't have the entertainment pack you can't watch Sky One shows like 24 etc on demand, and catching up on old shows has always been a small rental fee type deal. However, if you have Sky Movies on your Sky pack, watching movies on demand via the Sky Player has been free.

Its probably exactly the same. Sky Player only users might have to pay for stuff, but Sky Movies subscribers probably get that stuff free.

Actually, now might be a good time to ask, does any Sky Movies stuff actually show on the app at all?

Great, because I already added a computer to the list of registered devices this month it won't let me add my 360, they really didn't plan this properly did they? And for some reason it even refuses to let me use my computer on it now...

Arhal_Katarn

OMG Aero said:
Also the app does definitely say that to watch Live TV you need to have Sky multiroom or Sky Broadband Unlimited and it looks like you have to pay for the on-demand stuff so yeah, it isn't really a megaton any more :(

You get around 20 live channels if you subscribe including sky sports 1 2 and 3. Although saying that i can't find the app on the dashboard, where is it?

Maloney

brain_stew said:

This sounded great so I went to Sky and went to sign up for Broadband Max. Ufortunately I got this message:

Great news, you are in a Sky Broadband area. You can choose between Unlimited, Everyday or Base broadband products. Our broadband service is available exclusively to Sky TV customers, so you will also need to add TV to your combination to proceed.

So that means as well as the £10 a month for Broadband Max I'll have to sign up for a TV package I don't want :/

steverulez said:
Great, because I already added a computer to the list of registered devices this month it won't let me add my 360, they really didn't plan this properly did they? And for some reason it even refuses to let me use my computer on it now...
Sky Player is a poorly made crock of shite with an uninteresting program lineup.

Tannhauser

Neo Member
Megaton my arse. Even if you've got the best Sky package available you still have to pay an additional £10 a month if you don't have Multiroom or Broadband to watch anything, and I expect a fat premium on top of that for Sky Sports. If you're non Sky it's an additional £15 a month for the Sky Player's Base Entertainment pack (which is a shower of shite) and the probable large premium for Sports.

OMG Aero

Arhal_Katarn said:
You get around 20 live channels if you subscribe including sky sports 1 2 and 3. Although saying that i can't find the app on the dashboard, where is it?
Earlier this morning it was the second box on the Spotlight tab and the video marketplace tab. After downloading the Sky Player app you could also access it from the quick launch menu under the guide.
There was a lot of problems with accessing the app or quitting the app and then not being able to use it again so they probably removed it while they fixed it or something.

Ok,

I think if you're a current sky subscriber you can get one month multiroom using:

XBOX1MONTHFREE

On the Sky player site

It just doesnt work right now..

Update:

We have heard back from a Microsoft representative: "Sky Player on Xbox 360 is scheduled to launch today. Although the Sky Player service is currently experiencing technical issues across all platforms, we anticipate these issues will be resolved today, in readiness for the Xbox 360 launch."

Gowans

What's happening with this today?

Downloaded it on my 360 in my gaming room & got an error.

Looked for it in my livingroom 360 (with dash update) & it's nowhere to be found?

Oh well gives me more time too bum a friends Sky account details.

Asparagus

They briefly had a small video in the Spotlight section saying it was coming later today. So sometime in the next 5 1/2 hours I assume :/

meddow

Gowans007 said:
What's happening with this today?

Downloaded it on my 360 in my gaming room & got an error.

Looked for it in my livingroom 360 (with dash update) & it's nowhere to be found?

Oh well gives me more time too bum a friends Sky account details.

if you got the sky app earlier then go to download history and just boot it

working fine this end.

Linkified

Tannhauser said:
Megaton my arse. Even if you've got the best Sky package available you still have to pay an additional £10 a month if you don't have Multiroom or Broadband to watch anything, and I expect a fat premium on top of that for Sky Sports. If you're non Sky it's an additional £15 a month for the Sky Player's Base Entertainment pack (which is a shower of shite) and the probable large premium for Sports.

Well yes because of the fact they still have to pay FA for the matches you watch over xbl, pc or tv. Thing that ticks my goat is last time I checked you couldn't watch wwe on sky sports via the sky player.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Linkified said:
Well yes because of the fact they still have to pay FA for the matches you watch over xbl, pc or tv. Thing that ticks my goat is last time I checked you couldn't watch wwe on sky sports via the sky player.

I think you can watch it live, there's just no on demand WWE.

Although, Sky's deal with WWE is coming up for renewal at the end of the year, so Sky might get some On demand stuff added in.

Oh did you see that pig flying past?

Linkified

AssassiN said:
I think you can watch it live, there's just no on demand WWE.

Although, Sky's deal with WWE is coming up for renewal at the end of the year, so Sky might get some On demand stuff added in.

Oh did you see that pig flying past?

A couple of months ago I tried watching it live on my laptop via sky player and came up with some message along the lines of "You can't watch this content via sky player"

Tannhauser

Neo Member
JustAnotherOtaku said:
There's no option to watch any of the channels in HD is there?
No.

Linkified said:
That's obvious, but their mark-up is disproportionate and unreasonable.

Gowans

Got it on, you can only watch sky news for free.

Can't work out how to invite people & you can change the quality with lb & rb.

Top Bottom