• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword 4k remaster by one guy looks better than Nintendo's remaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Other than a few notable exceptions, Nintendo's "remasters" are incredibly lazy and feel half-baked at best. Wind Waker was pretty great, but they've done a good job with the remakes in general and Wind Waker, OoT, MM are pretty good examples of them "remaking" the games. Their straight up "ports" are fine with SM3DW/DK:Tropical Freeze, but to try and pass off Super Mario Galaxy, 64 or Sunshine as remasters was incredible lazy, Skyward Sword seems to be the same effort as well, but I'd argue retooling the controls will do a good job of bringing in interest.

I'd rather they exist than not, but I also just won't buy it for the sake of it either if they are gonna put such a pitiful amount of effort into the release. I really wanted to play Galaxy again, but I wasn't gonna pay for that half baked remaster especially if they weren't gonna let me buy it à la carte. At that point, I may as well just replay it with Dolphin/Cemu.

So I think it's good for people that may have never played these games before, even if they could have been done better, but I won't buy them again if they aren't gonna actually do much work in the rerelease.
Twilight Princess is probably the best remaster they've done. Wind Waker is up there too. Wii U era was good for fans cause Nintendo was struggling. Successful Nintendo is the worst Nintendo.

Zones

Yea I feel that nintendo has never really prioritized graphical display in their games, but I don't think people really buy nintendo for the latest and greatest looks either. Me included tbh. Sure, I definitely expect some kind of improvement from generation to generation of console, but I get gameplay experiences out of nintendo that honeslty make me forget graphical supremacy. It is impressive, these fanmade passes, though.
It's really funny seeing a large portion of the Nintendo fanbase claiming they don't care about graphics when it's not in their favor, but somehow a slight mention of Switch Pro makes most of them instantly wet.

I love Nintendo but they're lazy af and making shitloads of money with the least amount of effort possible

TL;DR:

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

giphy.gif

Fare thee well

Neophyte
It's really funny seeing a large portion of the Nintendo fanbase claiming they don't care about graphics when it's not in their favor, but somehow a slight mention of Switch Pro makes most of them instantly wet.
Eh im mostly pc so I don't have a horse in that race anyway. I just tend to have a lot of systems and variety. I don't actually know a thing about the new switch pro and probably won't care until I see a game released that catches my interest.

More to do with what Nintendo CAN do with their hardware. Luigi's Mansion 3 is a stunning game and it's made even more impressive by what it's running on.

Nintendo knows how to really pick the perfect art direction to perfectly match their intentions with whatever game they are making, Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion 3, Galaxy, Breath of the Wild, Donkey Kong are all prime examples, not graphically impressive in the traditional sense, but very very looking games regardless..

Ezquimacore

Banned
while I don't think next gen graphics are important to enjoy Nintendo games, I think they at least should exploit the capabilities of their hardware like they do with other games. That's my problem with skyward sword, not even a new dungeon or mode like other zelda remasters. Just a bare bones expensive port when other zelda remasters/remakes had some passion.

coffinbirth

I mean, Nintendo should've fully remade this game...but they didn't, so what we are getting is an emulated Wii game which is probably BARELY able to run at acceptable frame rates as is, let alone have upgraded textures and stuff. When you look at it like this, it makes sense. It doesn't excuse the lack of a proper remake, but it does make sense given how little overhead they are working with here.

Tefl0n

People are falling over themselves to buy inferior versions of the same games they already own for full price so why would Nintendo put resources towards proper remasters?

Ezquimacore

Banned
Switch can’t do 4K and barely does 1080p with boosted Wii U specs. To expect this to be 4K on switch is not logical. They did what they could.
The switch can actually do 4k on this game, at 30fps. But Nintendo made the decision to develop the remaster at 60 fps.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
They don’t want to update their games beyond small texture resolution changes if they look awful. Their games since Gamecube all scale beautifuly with higher resolutions. It looks great on Switch wether on the OLED handheld at 720p or 1080p on a big 4K screen.

Dane will bring a lot of games up to 2160p using DLSS.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm ok with SSHD being what it is... I'm ok with an increase in internal resolution and FPS, leave it as is... I'm affraid that Nintendo starts "improving" their remasters graphics and mess them up like they did with WWHD... I HATE how that game looks like, that skye bloom is so way over proportions that it feels like being 7am all day, also they removed the cell-shading

JT14

Banned
To be fair, Nintendo hasn't cared about graphics since the GameCube era. So any dedicated fan remake should or could look better IMHO hopefully one day, the Switch successor will at least have 1080 60fps HDR as it's #1 priority

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom