• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's still a month away, but we've got the first, and the thread will be kept updated as more pour in over the next few weeks.

First up, courtesy of XDDX here, is ONM;

XDDX said:
ONM review score is 98%. That's the highest they've given to a Wii game. They also say it's the best Zelda game ever made.

Link here.

98%
~35 hours to complete the main quest. Around double to collect all bugs, upgrade all items, discover all secrets, etc.
Best Zelda ever, yadda yadda.

Update: EDGE is in. See here.

e234_smally7a6.jpg

10/10
"A triumph."
"How apt that this ultimate tale of hero-making should see Nintendo’s hardware become the console it was always meant to be."

Update 2: GamesTM magazine reviews are in, see here.

9/10 - "Playing the Wii out in style."

Early Review Compilation
EDGE - 10/10
Game Informer - 10/10
ONM - 98%
4News.it - 97/100
VideoGamesZone.de - 93%
Gamepro Germany - 93%
GamesTM - 9/10

Reviews Below Here Are Post Embargo/Not Exclusive:

Speedymanic said:
Jay-B said:
Giantbomb: 4/5

"Skyward Sword is simultaneously a very good Zelda game and a rather great adventure game. It has some of the most inventive dungeons the series has ever known, sports the most impactful changes to the combat since Z-targeting, introduces wrinkles to the Zelda mythology that will force fans to rethink the entire series, and will have you gawking at it constantly, 480p 'n all. But the series finds itself facing an identity crisis, as it flirts with expanding what has defined the series without abandoning its charming but waning simplicity. Zelda doesn’t need to become something else to maintain relevance, but at a certain point, when “a brand-new great Zelda game” isn’t enough, there’s reason to pause."
Feep said:
G4TV - 4/5

COME AT ME, GAF
Loudninja said:
Salih said:
Fjordson said:
kneePat said:
There's a 16/20 on some French site called jeuxactu.com.

rage @ link
gofreak said:
oatmeal said:
Speedymanic said:
kneePat said:
Salih said:
Speedymanic said:
Jay-B said:
XDDX said:
Speedymanic said:
Sn4ke_911 said:
Spiffy_1st said:
Got another 9 from Gamesrader.

http://www.gamesradar.com/legend-zelda-skyward-sword-review/?page=2

Is it better than...
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess? No

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker? No

=/
Maikrobi said:
Suzzopher said:

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The only review I guess I would really pay attention to is Eurogamer's. The rest will either hype it up because it's Nintendo, or score it low because lol waggle SD.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wonder what Famitsu will give it.
Are most of Nintendo's moneyhats going towards actual games these days?

dwu8991

Banned
Andrex said:
The only review I guess I would really pay attention to is Eurogamer's. The rest will either hype it up because it's Nintendo, or score it low because lol waggle SD.

Eurogamer rules!!! They are very kind to Nintendo in their reviews, none of the bitterness of what's not going to happen.

EatChildren said:
98%
~35 hours to complete the main quest. Around double to collect all bugs, upgrade all items, discover all secrets, etc.
Best Zelda ever, yadda yadda.
Why so low?

But seriously I hoped for more hours :(, but I think I'm alright took me almost 100 hours to get 100% in TP.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Dutch Slayer said:
Why so low?

But seriously I hoped for more hours :(, but I think I'm alright took me almost 100 hours to get 100% in TP.

With all due respect, you're definitely an exception to the norm if it took you ~100 hours to get everything in Twilight Princess. I'd say on average Twilight Princess would take ~50 hours to get absolutely everything, maybe a little less. It's a huge game to be sure, but I cant imagine spending 100 hours on it.

ampere

Waiting for the media blackout to pay off

I know very little about this game, it will be surprising and I'm sure I'll have a blast playing it.

Shahadan

I completed TP's main quest in about 27 hours. Guess it'll be the same for SS. Oh well. I wanted more.
At lsat the side quest should be interesting this time.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
98%? haha, Uncharted 3 got a 9.9, suckaz. I know what I'm spending my money on and it's not common sense.

EatChildren said:
With all due respect, you're definitely an exception to the norm if it took you ~100 hours to get everything in Twilight Princess. I'd say on average Twilight Princess would take ~50 hours to get absolutely everything, maybe a little less. It's a huge game to be sure, but I cant imagine spending 100 hours on it.
I'll fully admit that I'm not that great at video game playing.
And TP took me a long time because I wanted to do most of the extra things on my own without a guide or anything.

Sloane

Banned
EatChildren said:
~35 hours to complete the main quest.
Doubt (and hope) that's not true but sounds like a publisher's quote anyway. 15-20 hours would be more than enough for me.

neoanarch

Sloane said:
Doubt (and hope) that's not true but sounds like a publisher's quote anyway. 15-20 hours would be more than enough for me.

For a Zelda game that is awful. Hopefully the 'double' time to complete everything is true.

Sloane

Banned
neoanarch said:
For a Zelda game that is awful. Hopefully the 'double' time to complete everything is true.
Which Zelda game's main quest took longer than 20 hours to complete? I can't think of one.

Heretic

I hope most of that time isn't spent flying from place to place... but I love me some Zeldas. Day 1 no matter the reviews!

Kard8p3

Sloane said:
Which Zelda game's main quest took longer than 20 hours to complete? I can't think of one.

Twilight Princess took me about 25 hours to finish the first time through. I've seen others say it took them much longer than that.

Kard8p3 said:
Twilight Princess took me about 25 hours to finish the first time through. I've seen others say it took them much longer than that.
TP took me about 40 hours, but I really took my time and didn't rush through it at all.

Redrum_82

In all the events where it was shown the pr people always insisted on playing it standing up.

That's the main reason I haven't preordered it yet.

Social

oh my... this is great. In Zelda we trust!!

the wait... 28 days left for my collectors edition... aaaah!

Already took days of from work for it :D

What matters to me more than length is that there's minimal filler. I can replay a short streamlined game over and over again, but games that pad out the main quest with simplistic mundane tasks are likely to remain on my shelf after I've beaten them once. I really hope Skyward Sword's world is interesting and varied enough to make something like bug collecting fun, because scouring TP's blandscape for creepy crawlies was boring as sin.

Top Bottom